Morty

MOC The Royal Palace in Oslo

Amazing build, spectacular! Just the sheer size is so impressive, but the detail is astonishing!

I wish I had a) the bricks to build something like this and b) (more importantly) the talent!!

Thanks everyone for the extra photos and thanks for sharing!

Happy building!

Thank`s for great feedback. This moc is "nothing" without L@go`s cars. A good example of a great end result when several collaborating on mocs :classic:

Hi Morty. That's an amazing palace! How long did you work on the design? Did you use a program like LDD or LDRAW?

I'm working on a palace myself at the moment, designing it in LDD, and it takes a very long time!

Cheers,

-Marco

Hi Morty. That's an amazing palace! How long did you work on the design? Did you use a program like LDD or LDRAW?

I'm working on a palace myself at the moment, designing it in LDD, and it takes a very long time!

Cheers,

-Marco

I spent about six months of planning, inspection of full scale, testing techniques and construction. I used only LDD to calculate the amount of some parts of the building. It was developed with only use of real bricks. I got invitation to the Royal Palace to take pictures and study techniques and was an important part of the process. Model will be on display inside the Royal Palace this summer.

You did a great job. I always find hard to build something inspired from a real life model, let alone making a replica of a known building. Seeing the building from different angels makes me wonder, how many bricks are in there. How did you do it? It looks fantastic, and adding a garden would be like icing on the cake. Thanks for sharing this. :thumbup:

You did a great job. I always find hard to build something inspired from a real life model, let alone making a replica of a known building. Seeing the building from different angels makes me wonder, how many bricks are in there. How did you do it? It looks fantastic, and adding a garden would be like icing on the cake. Thanks for sharing this. :thumbup:

With the garden: http://www.flickr.com/photos/legolago/8740513675/in/set-72157633501638534/

Thank`s for great feedback. This moc is "nothing" without L@go`s cars. A good example of a great end result when several collaborating on mocs :classic:

That's an interesting way to put it - you put a bit more time and effort into your part than I did in mine :D

Edited by L@go

That is one amazing MOC. It just looks so detailed and just... spectacular. :laugh: Well great work, Morty

@l@go

On the Flickr gallery where did those first few pictures come from? I love the recreations of old sets!

On the Flickr gallery where did those first few pictures come from? I love the recreations of old sets!

All the pictures in the Flickr gallery are from the same exhibition, the Norwegian LUG Brikkelauget's annual event. The updated classic sets are all mine, it's a project I've been working on for a while. I'm glad you like them - you can find many more pictures of those cars in this photoset on Flickr :)

Absolutely stunning Morty! What a great build. Looking forward to see it IRL. ;)

Link to webpage to norwegian tv: http://www.nrk.no/ku...ning/1.11092171

From inside the Royal Palace. The model will be exhibited there this summer. Sorry only in norwegian..., but it`s possible to look at the video.

Edited by morty

And finally, I had the time to upload some pictures of when Morty and I got to set up the Palace and some of my cars inside the real Royal Palace. It's a part of this summer's palace tours, so all the tourists that visit this summer will see it.

When we were there, the master of the house and his wife weren't at home, so we were left pretty much alone during setup. It's a pretty special experience to wander around on your own inside the Small Hall... we even got a personal tour of the building. Not bad!

Here's a link to the set on Flickr, and for those of you who don't like external links: Here's a few tasters. Enjoy :)

9315187275_be25bcbd45_c.jpg

Morty being interviewed by NRK during setup.

9317977926_6cb459567d_c.jpg

Meet the King and Queen of Norway!

9315202671_5b2faf548d_c.jpg

Morty, builder of the Palace, and L@go, builder of the cars. Note the red marks on my left knee - that's what you get from

crawling across baseplates with short trousers on. Lesson learned.

9317981148_1e639664e9_c.jpg

The finished palace, seen from the rear.

Edited by L@go

I never got a sense of the scale of the Palace in the original images, but it's obvious from this series of pictures how massive it is! This is even more fantastic than ever! The courtyard at the rear looks perfect.

Congratulations.

Thank`s L@go for pictures and for great feedback :classic: . After these pictures was taken, I change minifigs on the Royale guard to right colour (dark blue torso and black legs) and given the statue better arms. 30.000 people are visiting The Royal Palace this summer and the model is a part of the guide program...not every year you have gouverment payd guides to talk about our lug and my moc in different language :wink:

Great video. It's nice to see it from all angles. I didn't understood what they said, but 'honderd duzend brickene' probably means 'a hundred thousand bricks' :laugh:

Well done guys.

Edited by Marckeyh

Great video. It's nice to see it from all angles. I didn't understood what they said, but 'honderd duzend brickene' probably means 'a hundred thousand bricks' :laugh:

Well done guys.

I agree it is nice to see it from all angels. Even better to see it live. I did see it live at the LEGO Norge's 50 years anniversary "Bli Med Å Bygge Landet" event at Fornebu (Oslo) in 2012 where Brikkelauget had a large layout.

And you are absolutely correct, they said "hundre tusen brikker" that means hundred thousand bricks. :)