LegoBobby

US 1980s Long Nose Tractor Unit

indexed.gif V-LC-21F

Hi Guys,

Having grown up in the era of such films as 'Smokey and the Bandit', 'Convoy' and 'Duel' i've always had a passion for big American trucks, in the UK due to size constraints and restrictions we've always really had 'Cabovers' be best sellers here.

I decided to build one of my favourites, a long nose tractor unit. This has been copied from a Kenworth from around that era.

It's only been built in LDD as yet but I hope you like it, the rear has a sleeping area for the driver as when there's beer in TexArcana and they're thirsty in Atlanta every second counts.

My next plan is to build a trailer and maybe experiment with an American Cabover like an 'International'.

Hope you like it and hope the US builders on here tell me if it looks realistic to them. :wink:

Kenworthtractorunit1-1.jpg

Kenworthtractorunit2-1.jpg

Kenworthtractorunit3-1.jpg

Kenworthtractorunit5-1.jpg

Kenworthtractorunit4-1.jpg

How it looks in your rear view :laugh:

Kenworthtractorunit6-1.jpg

Feedback always welcome.

Edited by LegoBobby
Deep-linked over-sized images. 800x600 max!

Can you post a side view? The angled ones don't show the door area clearly and I'm curious how you built that.

How about adding mudflaps and the trailer hitch thing in the back. Maybe even add the hoses that attach to the trailer that feed the brakes and trailer lights. Other than that, looks pretty spot on to me. Hmm, maybe a hood ornament also.

JopieK, I can see what you mean as the colours are very similar indeed and I appreciate your comments.

Ludzik, As requested here is a side shot but don't be fooled as the rig doesn't have an opening cab door i'm afraid.

Kenworthtractorunit7-1.jpg

Tontus, I really played with adding mudflaps to the rear axles but they looked to far apart when fitted to allow the clearance. I can't seem to find the shallow mudflaps found in the Forest Police kits on LDD. Any suggestions would be welcomed. I will defo be adding the air and electrical lines when I design the trailer. The taps on the rear are the supply points. Big thanks

Edited by LegoBobby

Not bad digital creation 'LegoBobby'....though I prefer my prime movers to be a little wider yet I like as it totally screams 1980's......B.J. & The Bear ! :grin:

Brick On LDD On 'LegoBobby' ! :grin:

LightningTiger - Cheers, I know what you mean about trucks needing to be bigger when in scale with other vehicles. I'm glad you like it all the same though. BJ and the bear, that's a classic.

Hey all, i've added a Refridgerated Semi trailer to the tractor unit now so there's somewhere for all that 'Corrs' beer to go. Hope you like it. It should have double opening rear doors but for some reason LDD only gives you a white door to use and it didn't look right at all.

UsArticulatedtruck-1.jpg

UsArticulatedtruck1-1.jpg

UsArticulatedtruck2-1.jpg

UsArticulatedtruck3-1.jpg

Edited by LegoBobby

EB Member Guidelines state: Don't post images that are over 800x600. Images rarely need to be over 640x480.

Your over-sized images have been deep-linked. Feel free to repost your images after they've been down-sized.

I like it! Also nice colour sheme.

May I suggest to try it with 6 wide front window, so the whole mean machine look little bit wider/bigger. I think :grin:

Oh...try to make one with evil mask in front, remember the movie Maximum Overdrive from 1986 by Stephen King? :laugh:

Hi guys.

Thanks for the feedback,

Phred - My apologies I'll bear it in mind for future reference.

Monsinjor - I don't remember that film, I'll do some research.

Phred - My apologies I'll bear it in mind for future reference.

Thank you.

I think this tractor would fit right in with 4-wide vehicles.

It's a real good MOC of an 80's rig. Good job. :thumbup: