Sign in to follow this  
PenPlays

Petraea East Gate Astronomers Tower

At the East Gate of Petraea University, there is a lofty tower that stretches for the heavens. It is the Astronomers Tower, connected directly to the Astronomers House of Learning.

petraea_001.jpg

Here the wonders of the vast Lego Universe are discovered. Planets such as Mars and Gallant V are among the most recent discoveries. This is also where the discovery of the shape of the planet was discovered to be that of a cube! The reason of this anomaly of space still goes without conclusive fact but still is very believable, especially among sailors who said that they have "Journeyed beyond the edge of the world."

Many classes are held here during all hours of the day. More of the work done on scrolls is done during the day while the stargazers take the strenuous climb to the top of the observation tower every evening. The Petraean weather is wonderful for such activities as it only rains every other week or so during the winter, which can be looked into thoroughly through a course taken at the Hall.

Today, Professor Leogali is teaching a simple telescope orientation to some new students.

petraea_004.jpg

As can be seen, the students are quite enthused.

petraea_005.jpg

There are many people of Historica that come to Petraea for learning. This Nocturnian is well accepted by his newly befriended Kaliphlics, as well as many others who pilgrimage their way here.

petraea_002.jpg

The top of the tower has several scattered telescopes and is also a place where many hold Club Meetings.

Owlan is making his way past the wooded supports of the tower into the University. Apparently some news awaits him in...

petraea_003.jpg

... The Dawn of Ages: Chapter 1. Coming soon...

This is my entry for the Petraea University contest.

It seems like my pictures are quite dark, what with the never ending cloudy weather here. Does anybody know of a good way to get some better lighting?

Any way,

Tips, tricks, comments, and criticism is welcome!

Edited by Penkid11

Very nice technique for the tower and the whole build looks very Kaliphlin :thumbup: The wooden supports holding up the tower looks a little flimsy though :look:

Looking forward to first chapter of The Dawn of Ages :classic:

The wooded supports are supposed to look dug into the ground, but its just a detail, the tower is well stable just on the rock it was built on.

The Dawn of Ages will be a bit, but it will be on its way.

Thanks, de Gothia.

Anybody have any good lighting ideas?The weather here is not very cooperative here, and my pics look more grey than I would like.

Edited by Penkid11

Anybody have any good lighting ideas?The weather here is not very cooperative here, and my pics look more grey than I would like.

Get a big floodlight? I'm forever having trouble with that too... You can play around with the contrast and brightness on your computer though, that helps some at least!

Nice build, like that round tower though it's a pity you couldn't tile it. Nice mix of rock and building too - and the student with the telescope almost looks like he's drinking from it... :tongue::laugh:

You just reminded me that I need to get 2 more entries in before the 2nd of December, of which I have started neither! thanks for the reminder, great build!

Nice entry! I've had this idea working itself out in my mind for a while now and I think seeing your studded tower may have helped me solve part of it. Just need to change some colors and add a bit of texturing.... Good luck in the contest! Btw that Rhino Nocturnian fellow made me chuckle :thumbup:

The tower is really well done. And a worthy additional to the University!

As for your question for shooting your mocs - the easiest way is to colour correct it after the fact.

As for suggestions, there's so much unused studs on that tower, I would have tried to added something to it... maybe spiral pattern? maybe a stripe here or there?