CM4Sci

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 10 Discussion

Even though the odds are clearly against finding him I definitely won't stop looking for the hell of it. When I first saw the promo pic of S10 I didn't have much interest in Mr. Gold, in my haste I didn't realize there were 17 figs. After I learned about him I will admit my completist side kicked in but that has faded with time, I haven't been collecting every fig and there are plenty of other exclusives I'd rather have than him.

Am I alone in not wanting this minifig? Maybe it's because it's ugly. Maybe it's because I don't think chrome is fitting as a finish on Lego and prefer pearl gold as a true Lego colour. Or maybe it's that I have no taste for rarities and exclusives. I think mostly I dislike people crowing smugly about having something others don't. Especially when it's adults and they're taking something intended for children. The expression 'taking candy from a babe' springs to mind. I have the utmost of contempt for anyone now selling these things for hundreds of dollars.

Giving collectors something to crow smugly about is exactly what rare figures are for. Blame the people at the LEGO company if you don't like it, not the customers. Don't hate the players, hate the game.

And we aren't talking about natural resources or oxygen here, it's just useless colored pieces of plastic. There's no real problem or cause to complain if every LEGO figure collector in the world can't get this figure, rare items are simply part of the game when it comes to collecting.

"Taking candy from a baby" doesn't apply here. The people who are actively hunting for the figure and finding it are burning way more calories than the people who don't want to look as hard (and so don't have the figure). The saying here should be "Working hard to find candy that the baby won't/can't work hard to look for."

I also don't think the people at LEGO HQ had kids in mind when they decided to go forward with this rare figure idea. More likely they had the rabid AFOLS and parents (with wallets) in mind.

I'm not actively searching for the gold figure (I think it's ugly), but if I should happen to stumble across one I will sell it in a heartbeat to pay for some bills and classes. I'd rather go dig ditches for a few days and make $600 than spend all that time and energy feeling up packets and arguing with customer service over shady practices.

That said, I think people who actively hunt for rare figures just to resell them at outrageous prices are scum, simply because they aren't collectors, they aren't a part of the friendly and mildly competitive community. They're just thorns in every collectors' side. If someone resorts to shady return tactics and feeling up 50,000 packets to get the figure, but they actually want it for their collection, then I tip my hat to them because that's unparalleled dedication lol

Edited by Henchmen4Hire

I actually really like Mr. Gold, but I don't like the chroming. I think he would have looked better in pearl gold personally. I don't care about the rarity. If I get one, I'm not going to come on here and brag to everyone how I have it. More power to the people that do have him and want him, but I've never been one to brag. My wife gets mad at me because I'm so humble about things. Either way, I do like how he looks, but if I find him I won't keep him.

I do wonder if the ~$600 will stay that way the more that are found. That does seem ridiculous for one figure, but people are obviously paying it.

I'm also not collecting every single figure of every series, so I don't feel incomplete without him. But I have noticed even though I don't want some figures, I end up getting them in case I ever need their accessory or face or hair or something (if it is unique to that figure alone). So I've picked up quite a few I didn't care about for that reason alone. But thankfully the latest series actually has about 12 figures I want and half of them I want multiples of, so I guess TLG is doing something right.

I do wonder if the ~$600 will stay that way the more that are found. That does seem ridiculous for one figure, but people are obviously paying it.

Price should increase, then have a drop down (buying this fig at <$300 is a real deal), then skyrocket.

Actually I believe $600 is quite a low price for it.

For anyone looking for Mr Gold here is the dot code for him from brickset:

MrGoldDotCode.jpg

Just FYI, the Mr. Gold I found (in Texas) had a different bump code.

Just FYI, the Mr. Gold I found (in Texas) had a different bump code.

Where in Texas did you find Mr. Gold, KanyeTwitty? And at what store? I'm in San Antonio and haven't seen this series on sale yet...though I've only checked Target.

this is what i was greeted by today at my local TRU...

:iamded_lol::roflmao:

-Sci

Edited by CM4S

I just got Grandpa and the Revolutionary Soldier today, but I felt every bags there's no Medusa, Mr. Gold and Sea Captain at my local TRU.

Lol, R4 must be trying to throw everyone off the trail!! :D

No I wasn't trying to, I got the photo from brickset

954556_536389173088136_364006011_n.jpg?oh=617b2a770bcdb7e590499af2dc25b92a&oe=5189E311&__gda__=1368054048_9d8e618956e739ab8209ae633ba02feathis is what i was greeted by today at my local TRU...

I wish I had your luck, I would get plenty of S9 for as low as $1.99... here they still cost €2.50, it's more than $3...

That is a lot of back-stock. No wonder they only have one box of series 10. I've never seen them that cheap anywhere before, especially at TRU. It is always above $3.00 here. The downside is series 10 has multiple army builders for me, and series 9 had none. So even seeing back stock like that doesn't entice me.

That is a lot of back-stock. No wonder they only have one box of series 10. I've never seen them that cheap anywhere before, especially at TRU. It is always above $3.00 here. The downside is series 10 has multiple army builders for me, and series 9 had none. So even seeing back stock like that doesn't entice me.

Instead I have plenty of army builder on series 9 and just a couple on series 10... how sad. I would buy dozens of knights...

I wish I had your luck, I would get plenty of S9 for as low as $1.99... here they still cost €2.50, it's more than $3...

Come to Australia, Collectable Minifigs are $5 each here!

I went to a store last weekend (Urban Outfitters I think it was), and they had minifigs at $9.99 per pack. Outrageous!

EDIT: Oh, I finished 'spriting' the Series 10 minifigures. Feel free to use 'em, just give credit!

-Sci

Edited by CM4S

I think the picture is showing them on display for £1.99. (around 2.37 euro...)

Edited by Weil

I think the picture is showing them on display for £1.99. (around 2.37 euro...)

Yes, I think you're right, by the way here I found them often also at prices like 3€ or 2.90€ so 2.37€ it's however a bargain.

Could be worse - they're $6 US in Bermuda, $7 in one store...

Hi, In total there were 5000 made, These were then distributed randomly into boxes and spread throughout the world. Hope this helps :classic:

BTW- There is a topic for series 10 and one for mr gold that would be a good place to find other answers and questions :wink:

BTW- There is a topic for series 10 and one for mr gold that would be a good place to find other answers and questions :wink:

I have merged this question into the Series 10 discussion thread.