Does anybody know if the new 8t gear has a different part number? Could we call Lego and get a bag of them? I managed to do this with the portal hubs from the Unimog long before the set was available. I have not seen this part on Bricklink yet.

I am tired of watching my 8t gears died miserable deaths in the portal hubs. Sometimes the corners of the teeth round off when the gear slides into the recesses of the adjoining beams. This new version looks like this will no longer be a problem. It also looks as though each individual tooth will be stronger due to the increased mass.

014.jpg

This Eurobricks review of the upcoming 42011 Race Car set showed the Lego Element ID for the 8z gear -- it's 6012451:

027.jpg

You can try telephoning Lego Customer Service to access the "Lego Direct" service for ordering this part.

Also it looks an image of the new part was already listed at the Customer Service replacement parts, for some time.

Thank you all for being more observant than I am. I'll see if I can get a bag of the newer style gear.

Can anyone owning this part test how it behaves on top of a technic plate 2 x 4, 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 using a vertical axle? I'd like to know if it rotates smoothly.

Can anyone owning this part test how it behaves on top of a technic plate 2 x 4, 2 x 6 or 2 x 8 using a vertical axle? I'd like to know if it rotates smoothly.

From the picture, I don't think so. That was the main point of the grooved shape of the old gear. It was the only bush-like piece you could do that with and was occasionally used in place of regular or half bushes in that situation.

However, I think the new gear is still better overall. Apart from being fragile, the old gear tends to shift around any axle it's placed on (for the same reason that it can rotate inside plates) and make it fall out of alignment with other gears.

I don't have any 2 x 4, 2 x 6, or 2 x 8 Technic plates with me, but I do have a 2 x 4 Brick. With the wider teeth, the new 8 tooth gear cannot sit in the middle of four studs at all. If you're happy for the gear to sit above the studs (like most other gears would), then it should spin smoothly, but further testing may be required.