Sign in to follow this  
sealslip3

Making a Traditional Castle out of Helm's Deep

I already posted this in another topic, but I figured I'd repost it as a new topic to get some more feedback...

7214717346_55af225508_z.jpg

(Picture courtesy of Brickset)

Based on this picture, I'm wondering if it might be possible to make a traditional square/rectangular castle with a little creative rearrangement of the sections of Helm's Deep. Here's what I'm thinking:

The gateway section and rounded walls directly adjacent to it wouldn't need to be changed. The exploding section and another section from the Uruk-Hai Army set would make up the sides of the castle. The rounded sections in the interior of the set would be placed at the remaining two corners, and the tower and other remaining pieces could be used to make the final side (opposite the gate). I'm sure it would be a little more complicated than it sounds (the heights of the walls would have to be played with, some plates may need to be added to the bottom, etc). Anyone with the necessary sets and a little spare time feel like giving it a go? :classic:

I am not making Helm's Deep into a traditional castle, but I am making it into a seaside for my redcoats. :wink:

Hmmm? Perhaps the simplest way to convert it to a more traditional free standing castle would be to simply get 2 sets and attach them back to back, so you have a curved square outer wall with a center circular keep. Use the left side extension and possibly a few of the uruk Hai Army sets to create the side walls and a rear wall without the gate. Then just put a roof/top floor at the top of the center tower.

Also looking at the colors already present in the set and the banners I can't help but think it would make a decent castle home for the Dragon Knights. They never did get a real castle.

Hmmm? Perhaps the simplest way to convert it to a more traditional free standing castle would be to simply get 2 sets and attach them back to back, so you have a curved square outer wall with a center circular keep. Use the left side extension and possibly a few of the uruk Hai Army sets to create the side walls and a rear wall without the gate. Then just put a roof/top floor at the top of the center tower.

Also looking at the colors already present in the set and the banners I can't help but think it would make a decent castle home for the Dragon Knights. They never did get a real castle.

Completely agree with everything posted here, this has got to be the easiest (although not cheapest) way to make a good and rather unique castle.

I haven't bought it yet (waiting for a good sale, sadly missed out on two recent ones due to being slow), but my plan is for it to function as a town wall for MMV.