Sign in to follow this  
Zaktan of the Shadows

Summer 2007 Bionicle set names!

8910 Kongu Mahri...

Although the picture is blurry, and I can hardly make him out, I'll do my best. He looks bulky and buff, unlike his lurpy Inika form. His mask looks more Miru like, which is great. It almost looks as if he has two luanchers. Lets hope not...

8911 Jaller Mahri...

Probably my favorite Toa Mahri so far. His mask is cool, but it looks a little too much like the BLOCKO fire dude's mask. His armor gives him a beer belly look, which is never good. I like his color scheme, though. His sword is awesome.

His little crab is awesome, too. Its two sets in one! Its a new thing for the canister sets, having a pet and all. I hope we see more of this in the future.

8912 Hewkii Mahri...

He's pretty cool. He reminds me alot of Reidak. I like the blades on his shoulder, and the fact that he has no neck. It gives him more personality. And then I like his thigh armor, which is KK's Karzon's weapon I believe. Speaking of KK, I haven't seen any 2007 sets any where. I hope this means LEGO trashed them! >:-)

8913 Nuparu Mahri...

I can't make anything out... Why the heck is he all silver!?! Ugh! I hope he turns out okay...

8914 Hahli Mahri...

At least she's not as manly as he Inika form. She reminds me of and alien. I'm not too impressed with her wings. Other than that, I can't make anything else out of her. Except for those huge hoses comming out of her mouth.

8915 Matoro Mahri...

Again, I can hardly make anything out. I like what seems to be his giant claw. And I'm thankful that he's not blood stained as Pridak was. His mask looks like a Akaku Nuva, which is a plus. I think he needs more color, though.

8922 Gadunka...

Weird name, but cool set. I love his teeth; but his feet seem too small, his hands too claw-y, and I'm praying that his head isn't all one piece. I'm scared to see how it'll turn out.

8923 Hydraxon...

Awesome! I like how his luancher seems to be floating in his hand! He reminds me of a wizard. I've been hoping TLC would make a white Titan! I'm not to impressed with the Piraka foot as his chest armor, though.

8924 Maxilo & Spinax...

Maxilo reminds me of Makuta a bit, with his gunmetal and red color scheme and his Kohli Stick looking staff. I like the luancher on his back, but it could do without it.

Spinax is cool. Not as cool as I thought he would be after reading the discription. I like the guard and guard dog thing going on. But a skeloton dog is a bit cliche. Oh, well! At least its not another rider and steed set.

The Playsets...

They're better than last years, and the year before. But still not good enough. I wish LEGO would just drop the Playsets thing. The thing I like about them is that there are more TECHNIC/BINONCLE looking characters. So then, like the Kahgarak and Great Visorak in 2005, and the Fenrakk Spawn Spider in 2006, you can take them out of the Playsets, and use them as real figures. I'm not too impressed with the subs, though. Bleh!

Overall, 2007 looks okay. Not the best year, but it'll do. I guess.

Speaking of KK, I haven't seen any 2007 sets any where. I hope this means LEGO trashed them! >:-)

Indeed, Castle has replace KK this year.

I second that, Zane. While I loved the Inika, I'm not liking these at all. My main gripe has to do with the launcher. Zamors were NOTHING compared to this.

That's because Zamor suck. This baby's pistol whip could rip a guy's head off.

This is a flat out atrocity! I tend to think "chain gun" would be more villianous than a loogie crossbow. Also, it really seems like they're trying too hard to make them look "cool". They've ventured so far as to actually make me think these are the Pirates of the Caribbean figures of Davy Jone's crew.

Then their strategy is working. These guys are supposed to look aquatic. They appear pretty spiffy to me.

I'm also getting the impression that the designer who makes the canister sets hates the Ice based figures. The Pridak was pretty bad, but Matoro really gets shafted. He gets a claw looking thing instead of a sword, his mask is a mess and he's got a Toa's FOOT for a torso piece. Now I can finally understand why he's the one who gets to wear the mask of life. At least he has to have SOME redeeming factor.

Many people would have to argue that the Ice sets look brilliant. The Toa-olda foot as a torso actuall looks very nice, in my opinion. Hey, at least it isn't another Piraka torso.

Like Zane said, the pic is blurry, so wait for a cleaner one to make the judgment.

The larger sets are good once again, proving that Bionicle continues to have a strong showing in some areas.

This, I have to agree with. While I believe the canister sets are always different and unique, the Titans are always what I look forward to.

The Gadunka really looks like that Sharkticon from the Transformers series. Not great to have that resemblance, but it does fit the whole underwater business.

I got that exact vibe, too. But the set does look fantastic! I like that Ehlek spine technique. I might get that guy.

He'd better tear apart some matoran. Or GregF.

The Hydraxon looks pretty good, mostly because of the Mask. Yes, it may be a remolded Dume mask, but it's not too bad. Maxilos seems to be interesting. His dog is rather unique in build. I don't really like Maxilo's mask though. It isn't something I'd go nuts over.

Actually, compare Dume's mask side-by-side with Hydraxon's and you'll find quite a lot of differences. They don't look very much alike.

Maxilos and Spinax are definitely a shock to me. The colors remind me of 2003 Makuta! The Ignika used as a shoulder pad! Spinax looks like he could crush Ehlek! Maxilos is my new Makuta.

As for the minifig sets, I've never been a fan of Bionicle's sets here, so I'm not going to comment on these. However, I really find it really out of theme that they have SUBMARINES in Bionicle. Oh well. Whatever the focus groups say, huh?

I was brave last year and bought myself a playset, and I thought is was a complete waste. This year, while everything looks impressive, I'll be passing. While submarines are possible in the Bionicle universe, (considering there were Vahki transports on Metru-nui, which also functioned in water) these don't seem very Bionicle in spirit.

Anyway, I'll definitely get Jaller Mahri, just because he looks like he could kick the crap out of Jaller Inika. All the Mahri look interesting in their own way, so I'll probably get another. They seem to possess their original colors, too... Matoro has a blue mask, Jaller: yellow, Kongu: Teal, and Hahli: Blue. The same cannot be said about Naparu and Hewkii, though. I also want to purchase my first thirty-dollar Titan this year, too... Maxilos and Spinax. They blew me away. Gadunka, perhaps, as well.

If you don't like the "collectibles," take them off. Seriously, that's what I do with my Piraka, who are going to have a hard time dealing with these Mahri, BTW.

Continue, 2007.

Oh lord, chain guns... :-D

The new Toa actually look pretty nice, and unique enough to buy a few. Also those canisters look like they could be used to make a nice battle arena or something.

The play sets seem alright, and much more vehicle oriented. I could take or leave them

Now the titans, they look best of all. Especially Gandunka, and Maxilo & Spinax. *y* *y*

My god. Isn't that under the suggested age limit? Oh well. Guess those suggested ages are nothing these days! :-D

But to answer your question, it's already good enough to please them with these, so why try any harder? X-D

On topic though, I'm not too sure how others are looking at Matoro, but from my viewpoint, his mask looks like that hermit crab pirate from Pirates of the Caribbean 2. Y'know, the one who got his head knocked off with a coconut? THAT guy. But if it's an Akaku, I'll buy it just for that. Yeah, if Matoro ends up looking good, then I'll just remove that unsightly chain gun. It seems the weapons for this round of toa are flip blades and massive swords. Matoro went with the flip blades, which is definately a relief. I guess I just prefer my Toa feet as... Well... Feet. And if that fails, I'd prefer that contruction on the combiners, though combiners are a thing of the past these days. :'-(

Anyways, I'm taking a look again and I really can't get over how much Huki resembles Reidak. It's truly unsettling. While I am disappointed in some of the choices that they made (I personally thought a Toa of Air should be slimmer to give more movement in terms of typical air Toa agility/dexterity while fighting), some of these sets could make for great parts sets.

Look howe original Maxilo's feet are... MoLi shoulder... LOL. And silver Ehlek spines! Nice pics by the way. The Mahri are pretty cool. I like Jaller the best. Naparu, I can't judge yet....

Kongu is okay, nice mask and colors.

hahli is okay too, and feminime. But Hewkii is too much like a Reidak. I mean a Piraka body and Piraka arms? At least he has system Lego chains. Matoro has a great original body and color. I love Jaller, his crab is awesome. Nice mask too...

The chain gun idea is okay, look fun to use. :-P

The titans are cool. But the playsets suck. except for Terrain Crawler. Sweet.

-ZotS

I like jaller. Bzp won't allow any of the images on their site. Ha ha ha ha. :-D :-P

Welcome to eurobricks matorax, i hope you enjoy your stay here.

Indeed this is very much BZP's loss, but, that's there problem, not ours

I also like Jaller, but i am not son keen on his mask.

http://www.maj.com/gallery/takuathechronic...le/scan0002.jpg

http://www.maj.com/gallery/takuathechronic...le/scan0001.jpg

Age... Six.... *wacko*

You could make ANYTHING and these fools would like it, so why not make HIGH QUALITY BIONICLEs!?

There are only positive comments there- because Lego left out all of the negative ones.Who knows,these could be like the only positive comments against 2 million negative ones :-P .

Meh,i like these Barraki,but the squid launchers suck.Luckily, Exo Force became collectible (and non-projectile almost) with Exo Codes.

Umm...I don't know what to say...They turned the beautiful Inika into...well...that...

Looks like they're gearing up for a war, and Axonn goes with them and turns into Hydraxonn? So weird.

This might be the weirdest Bionicle year ever. But now I can safely say that I won't be buying Bionicles any longer. Before, It was a doubt, but now...its final.

Oh my god. You people are judging such low quality pics by saying they suck? Look at the Inika. Most of us said they were the worst sets ever, but when they were released, almost everyone loved them. So why don't you guys wait until we get better quality pics?\

-ZotS

One thing I have to say is that I don't like how they just keep taking the same Toa and adding new parts and stuff, I mean I just got all six of the Inika and now I have to get them AGAIN Because TLC couldn't come up with a new Toa team. One thing about the "missles" is that I remember Knex came out with some Mechs a while ago and they had missles that looked liked the Mahri missles. 8-| (see here.)

@ Zaktan: When the first images of the Inika were released, I said they sucked. When GOOD images were released, I said they were the most atrocious, hideous, Half-Frog Half-Toa THINGS that could possibly be called Toa :P

You said that. They were much better received by the... oh, 200,000 members of BZPower, plus those who bought them.

TLC is going the wrong way with some of these sets, but others are brilliant. These Titans are fantastic, but the rehash of the Inika is weak. Some, however, look completely different.

Why is Hewkii black and yellow? Unless that black changes to gunmetal gray, eff that.

Oh my god. You people are judging such low quality pics by saying they suck? Look at the Inika. Most of us said they were the worst sets ever, but when they were released, almost everyone loved them. So why don't you guys wait until we get better quality pics?\

-ZotS

The point for our complaints lies within your own post. Why do we discuss these sets? Because we CAN. Even you said that everyone complained about the initial pics of the Inika. So what exactly would prevent us from commenting on these ones?

Anyhow, yeah. That doesn't look like gunmetal at all! No wonder why I mistook him for Nuparu! I really hope they do make the switch, because at this point, Huki looks like Neo-Reidak from here. I mean, the whole POINT of doing gunmetal gray on him in the first place was to have some differenciation and now that it's no longer there? Simply doesn't work out! :-(

-ZotS

When they released the low quality pics, I said they were the best Toa ever. When I got them, I said they were the best Toa ever. I was expecting the Mahri to NOT be Jala and co. Because its now a clich

-ZotS

When I saw the Inika, I said they sucked. When I bought the Inika, I said they sucked. When I took them apart and added their pieces to my MOCing bins, I still said they sucked.

Because they did.

ALSO, you're confusing two different fanbases. The one that says they all suck pipes up when pictures are released, while the 'UBER TRUE LOYAL FANS' defend them in small numbers and tell the 'they suck' people to shut up. Then, when they're released, the 'UBER TRUE LOYAL FANS' declare EN MASSE that they're awesome, drowning out those who said they sucked, and still think they suck.

<<DV>>

Well, I'll admit that rehashing the Ininka is weak, but the casual kid (rather, their parents) probably didn't buy all 6 Toa last time. Hell, I'm a fan of Lego Technic and only bought a few different colors.

So, rehashing isn't TOO drastic an action. From a business perspective, it takes a bit of stress off their backs.

Even though I'm a consumer who wants newer things, the reason I'm getting into bed with them on that decision is because they clearly devoted their resources to making the Barraki diverse and full of parts goodness.

Darkness Falls post Yesterday, 06:43 PM

TLC is going the wrong way with some of these sets, but others are brilliant. These Titans are fantastic, but the rehash of the Inika is weak. Some, however, look completely different.

Exactly. Has not every year had these kinds of tradeoffs? One thing blowing monkeys while another thing clearly being where attention was placed?

It's pretty forgivable, if you ask me.

As for the Mahri (or Inika, or Barraki...) sucking... couldn't disagree more. The Inika had good armor pieces to be had. Sure, it might blow paying $10 for ARMOR, but the elongated mocing pieces were welcome to those who didn't even SEE the Toa Metru at their local toy stores. (I swear, my Walmart had the Metru and Hordika Toa maybe one week).

Keep in mind too, alot of kids are just getting into Lego, with no sets in their arsenal. And the sets deliver them a complete action figure that doesn't look too bad.

I don't know... i can't imagine how the Inika, Barraki or Mahri could be BETTER. Well no, i can... get rid of the SUPER-LAME squid launchers and ammo. What a worthless waste of the line's budgeting resources. The kind of garbage someone should get fired over.

But looking at their core structure, they could only be made better by starting to get into a large increase in the set's part quantity.

New fans will like the sets as figures.

Older fans will realize they can buy System sets to enhance them and make the figures "right".

But I'm not sure what could be done to make the few saying they suck like them.

If you don't like the Inika, Mahri or Barraki... what could be done differently?