Sign in to follow this  
Mike S

The Convent of St. Rafya in Illyria

Bishop Jamon, leader of the Knights of Aslan, continued his search to find additional financing for the war against Victor Revolword. And so it was upon hearing of the wealth in Varlyrio that he decided to travel himself to Illyria, the capitol of Varlyrio in order to forge an alliance with the Order of St. Rafya.

Bishop Jamon and his entourage drew quite a few curious gazes from the local residents. Here you can see a man with his date evidently having been out for a walk when the bishop arrived. Also you can see a local boy playing with his toy sailboat in the canal. The shiny armor of Bishop Jamon's guards catch his eye. And lastly, the grounds keeper is quite surprised by the visitors.

Bishop Jamon was cordially welcomed but his mission was unsuccessful as far as gaining financial backing. The Order of St. Rafya alternatively welcomed wounded soldiers to be sent to the Convent for healing.

TheConventofSaintRafya.jpg

I used cardboard for the background as my white board did not have enough contrast due to the white bricks and I don't have any other color background. Because of the time it took me to edit out the background of the first pic, I am not going to try and edit any of the rest.

The build is modular and I have ideas about adding on the rest of the convent as what I envision is quite a bit larger than this (this is just the entrance to the convent)

SAM_0070.jpgSAM_0069.jpg

SAM_0071.jpgSAM_0072.jpg

Edited by Masa of Kaliphlin

I'll be interested in seeing how it looks once you've got some better photos, but for now, It's a very interesting (and good!) idea to put the entire thing on pillars. :thumbup: I like the lamp posts too, and the temple looks nice - though it almost has a Kaliphlin style to it! :wink::grin: Nice sidewalk as well, though the way you put the railing looks a bit odd - nevermind, now I see you've got stairs there! Great idea! I was kind of thinking the citizens would just jump down... but stairs make a lot of sense! :thumbup:

Looks great so far!

I can really imagine that you wanted to show it right away. I know the feeling :wink:

Looking good! I really like the domes, pillars, and roof design :thumbup:

Nice plants and bridge too, that seems to be a popular design :classic:

Excellent entry MK

that is alot of DK Red plates!

the bridge is great and the facade of the building is fantastic.

good luck!

I actually have to say, I kinda like those cardboard backed images. Another build well done!

This is beautiful. I particularly like how you have done the bridge, the pattern of the tiles and the steps to the building. Great colour combination also for the building - I'm jealous of all those dark red plates!

Love the dark red, and using the lever bottoms in the front of the building was a great idea! I like the roof too, and great work with the sidewalk!

Wow the better pictures really highlight how beautiful this is :wub: The dark red and white color scheme is gorgeous,hope you got those plates off a PaB wall :oh3:

With those new pictures it just looks absolutely fantastic. Great addition to Varlyrio!! And I feel very honored that finally someone picked up my 2*1 plate technique!! :thumbup:

Edited by kabel

Excellent entry MK

that is alot of DK Red plates!

Thanks!

I actually have to say, I kinda like those cardboard backed images. Another build well done!

Thanks! and glad someone doesn't mind the cardboard background :wink:

This is beautiful. I particularly like how you have done the bridge, the pattern of the tiles and the steps to the building. Great colour combination also for the building - I'm jealous of all those dark red plates!

Thanks! The one thing that bothers me about the stairs is the tiles I had to put across the front to cover the studs. But other than that I'm quite pleased with how it turned out.

Love the dark red, and using the lever bottoms in the front of the building was a great idea! I like the roof too, and great work with the sidewalk!

Thanks Kai! I was looking for another ornamental piece other than my usual 1x1 round plate and I think the lever base works well here. I've tried it elsewhere and it doesn't work out so well.

Wow the better pictures really highlight how beautiful this is :wub: The dark red and white color scheme is gorgeous,hope you got those plates off a PaB wall :oh3:

Thanks! I feel this might be one of my best MOCs yet although the Black Pyramid might contend. :wink:

With those new pictures it just looks absolutely fantastic. Great addition to Varlyrio!! And I feel very honored that finally someone picked up my 2*1 plate technique!! :thumbup:

Thanks! Your Varlyrio entry actual gave me inspiration for this.

Looks great Mikel!.....I mean Masa :grin: I love the look of those lamp posts

Thanks! For the record concerning the name change, I was trying to get more in the Kaliphlin spirit. From my research, Masa is Japanese name meaning true sand and being that I have started building a lot of sandy MOCs recently I thought the name fit. :laugh: I also am really pleased with how the lamp posts turned out. I tried several different ideas for the lamp posts before settling on this design.

Really nice Convent :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks Wedge!

And in reply to all the "Thats a lot of DK red plates", I got all the DK red plates from a single Robie House when it was on sale at Amazon.

Edited by Masa of Kaliphlin

I love this build! You've got some wonderful techniques and architectural pieces here. I love railings on the bridge, the planters, the roof work, so many things. I also really like the arches to either side of the temples main door, the white capes on the bishop's entourage and the white shelf along the base of the roof. Everything just looks so polished and smooth and civilized - I love it!

I love this build! You've got some wonderful techniques and architectural pieces here. I love railings on the bridge, the planters, the roof work, so many things. I also really like the arches to either side of the temples main door, the white capes on the bishop's entourage and the white shelf along the base of the roof. Everything just looks so polished and smooth and civilized - I love it!

Thanks rogueang! I personally thought this is one of my best builds yet but evidently the title doesn't sound that exciting so it didn't get as many views as some of my inferior builds... :hmpf_bad: