SamBo

[MOC] Space Police I SHIP

Hey guys,

I recently finished my first SHIP. It has been the biggest Lego model I have ever constructed. Consisting of way too many parts (I didn't count to be honest), just over 1 metre long, with a wingspan of around 75cm and weighing approx 10-12kg.

I was only 9 when the original Space Police theme was released, and then I only had one set (6886 Galactic Peace Keeper), but it was, and still is, one of my all time favourite sets. I've since bought a couple of other sets from the theme as well as many many many of the panels and decorated slope pieces used in the sets.

The SHIP took me around 3-4 months of weekends and occasional evenings to build. A lot of time was spent constructing various parts, only to deconstruct and reconstruct differently. I had planned on a fully detailed interior as well, but I ran out of time for a show, and by then I was a bit over it. The Bridge is detailed though. Inside the hull is a brig with a working door (oooo exciting!!! :-P) and a few spots that hold the battery boxes for the lights, but that's about it. The roof of the main hull, and the roof of the bridge are both easily removed.

The thing is solid as a rock too. Survived the 3.5 hour each way car trips, in the boot of my car, with minimal breakages.

Pics are here on my flickr page:

And if anyone's interested, there are some WIP pics here too (although I didn't take many):

Here is one Pic. It's one of my favourites as it truly puts the size of the SHIP into perspective. The ship wasn't 100% complete at the time, but that's my 4 year old son posing with it (and he's not exactly a tiny kid!)

Thanks for looking.

Sam

post-28984-0-80803300-1353390137_thumb.jpg

Edited by SamBo

Beautiful colorscheme and patterns. The dual giant miniguns :laugh: are great. The police writing looks nice too. Overall, a great ship. Blacktron doesn't stand a chance!

Awesome. The scaled-up recreation of the logo and the internal lighting are nice touches.

Do you have more pics of the interior BTW? The bridge/cockpit looks fantastic, but the WIP photos seem to show a prison and engines...there must be loads of room in there!

Very well done!

Wow. I hadn't even seen the interior shots. And the engines look monstrous with the lights on. The brig is pretty cool too.

Thanks guys.

I have planned to make either a ramp, or a lift (floor lowering) just infront of the main engines (roughly where the guns are). The brig sits pretty much dead centre, but I ran out of parts to do the rest of the interior (I want to do an arms locker and storage rooms). It's not meant to be a long distance craft so I wasn't planning on doing crew quarters.

The roof piece from just behind the trans red panels up to the guns can be easily removed so I can still finish it.

I was going to dismantle it, but I think I'll keep it for now and finish the interior properly. My issue is trying to find the room to put it! The wife does not want it on the dining table again :( hehehe

That thing is HUGE! Not to mention chunky and solid looking, just like the rest of the ships in the Space Police I series (I also had the Galactic Peace Keeper at one point in time, but all I have left of it now is the red windscreen, which is currently part of my oldest surviving MOC).

You totally nailed the color scheme, and as others have said, the giant-sized SP logo is definitely a touch of class for this leviathan of space.

I think you're going to need a dedicated MOC-room if you're going to want to keep this monster of a spaceship.

This is a massive model. The internal lighting and giant SP insignia are awesome. I like the chunky, studded look of the ship as well, which is fitting for a classic theme like SP1.

I think it would look better if the rear/engine parts had the same colors as the rest of the ship though. It looks like the ship was originally the front part only and an extension was retrofitted onto it later (unless that's the look you were going for).

This is a massive model. The internal lighting and giant SP insignia are awesome. I like the chunky, studded look of the ship as well, which is fitting for a classic theme like SP1.

I think it would look better if the rear/engine parts had the same colors as the rest of the ship though. It looks like the ship was originally the front part only and an extension was retrofitted onto it later (unless that's the look you were going for).

Thanks.

I was trying to get the look of the big, raw engines sitting on the back of a tidy ship. I tried to give the engines a look of size and power with little regard toward appearance. I purposely mixed up all the different shades of grey available and evenly spread them around the engines.

DraikNova, yup, that is what I was trying to achieve.