Guilds of Historica Advent Calendar

Dec 1st - Messahmuk Winemakers Guildhall (a classic building, now a major landmark in downtown Messahmuk)

8199188580_0fd7b74d3d_n.jpg

advent.calendar.hall

Dec 2nd - Windmill, southwestern Kaliphlin (typical southwestern style, on the islands around the Inland Sea)

8198095521_0ba2d4689c_n.jpg

advent.calendar.windmill

Dec 3rd - Fortified Bridge over the Muk River

8233452615_4b165ea6e5_n.jpg

GoH Advent Calendar - Bridge

An ancient fortified bridge over the Muk River, in south central Kaliphlin, with two sentry towers and a gate on the south end.

December 4th - Mitgardian Cottage (by Kai NRG)

8242880391_387d2d6490.jpg

A guest build today, from Kaliphlin guildmember Kai NRG! A cottage in a snowy Mitgardian scene.

December 5th - Kaliphlin Black Oil Worker

8246689835_8190fcc93e.jpg

GoH Advent Calendar - Dec 5 - Kaliphlin Black Oil Worker

Another guest build today, this time from Masa of Kaliphlin. He's presented us with a Kaliphlin black oil worker. It's a messy job, but he's up to it.

December 6th - Nocturnian Octosucker

8249338748_ec011920f0.jpg

GoH Advent Calendar - Dec 6 - Octosucker

The bane of fishermen everywhere, this horrible creature is most commonly found in Butchers Bay.

December 7th - The Old Mill

8251676997_5aba330b21.jpg

advent.calendar.7.mill.small

A small mill in western Kaliphlin, on the edge of the Wither Woods near Eastgate.

December 8th - Petraea University Student

8253344325_023c753f0f.jpg

GoH Advent Calendar - Dec 8th - Petraea U Student

Built and photographed by Kai NRG!

December 9th - Avalonian Farm

8256132815_8887252d3b.jpg

advent.calendar.9.farm

December 10th - Mitgardian Winter Scene

8260498562_c40d69feaf.jpg

advent.calendar.10.mitgardian.cottage

December 11th - Kaliphlin Castle

8262540749_3df9441575.jpg

GoH Advent Calendar - Dec 11th - Castle

Another guest build from Kai NRG!

December 12th - Dwarven House Golem

8266350867_ddd05117ea.jpg

GoH Advent Calendar - Dec 12th - Dwarven House Golem

Dwarven mages of old built and magically animated these small golems out of clay to serve as butlers and valets in their households. Some can still be found in the households of the old Mitgardian nobility, patiently running the household.

December 13th - Kaliphlin Temple

8270878010_de5c85e5a5.jpg

advent.calendar.13.temple

The temple of Amon-Jazreth, the god of shiny stones found on the beach, on the outskirts of Barqa.

December 14th - Larger Kaliphlin Mill

8271006059_b62ed23650.jpg

GoH Advent Calendar - Dec 14 - Large Mill

A larger mill on the eastern Siccus coast, north of Peregrinus. I built this one first, and then decided to try to minimize the piece count, and so built the smaller mill displayed on Dec 7th.

December 15th - Kaliphlin Lighthouse

8275764938_e9171aff7c.jpg

GoH Advent Calendar - Dec 15 - Lighthouse

Built by Kai NRG.

December 16th - Kaliphlin Oil Rig

8280385926_c9d62be423.jpg

advent.calendar.16.pumpjack

A Kaliphlin pumpjack oil well. A captive magical imp inside the motorhouse turns the drive shaft which moves the 'donkeyhead' up and down, pumping precious Black Oil from the desert sands.

December 17th - Prickly Pookfruit Cactus

8281771538_5c8c436190.jpg

advent.calendar.17.pp.cactus

Common around Petraea and in the south and southeast Siccus badlands. Delicious leaves and fruit, but slightly hallucinogenic. Favorite meal of desert womp-rats.

December 18th - Silo Cottage

calendar03.jpg

This is a guest build from Jareth, a micro version of his Silo Cottage build, in Scarborough in Northern Nocturnus.

December 19th - Thin Ice

8291594901_35bb1e792f.jpg

advent.calendar.19.thin.ice

This Kaliphlin tourist to Mitgardia apparently couldn't read the Dwarvish signs that said "Thin Ice"!

PM me if you have a build that you'd like to show in the GoH Advent Calendar.

Original Post:

So today I was helping my son rebuild his 2011 Star Wars Advent Calendar, and then build some new random microscale starships of his own design to add to them, and I thought: we should have a Guilds of Historica Advent Calendar build!

It could have GoH microscale builds of buildings, vignettes, vehicles, and creatures, as well as perhaps a few unusual, custom minifigures that fit with GoH. So I'm going to kick it off with two little builds he and I did today. I'll try to add some more, but everyone feel free to chip in and add your own, and I'll update the first post with everyone's pictures and short descriptions.

Edited by NiceMarmot

Or maybe a 24 day contest? Anything to forcibly produce builds for our Guilds.

Edited by Penkid11

Great idea! I probably won't be able to do any this week (no camera, I had to rush this morning to take pictures of my Valaryio entry), but I'll try to get a few builds ready for next week!

That's a nice idea for a community build. It would certainly help to improve building in microscale :thumbup:

It occurred to me that I should reveal these MOCs one by one, each day in December, just like all of GoH was opening an Advent calendar. Then we can all check GoH each day and see a new build. So I will create some more of them, but won't start posting them until Dec 1. If anyone else builds some, and would like me to post them, just PM me the link to the image and a short name & description, and I'll get it into the reveal schedule. Hopefully a few of you will make some builds, otherwise I'll have to crank out 25 of them myself. Hope my imagination doesn't run out.

Two (at least) things: I've already built one, but if I put it on my photostream (I won't be able to photograph it until the end of the week at least anyway, which means I'll have to live with anything I build on my desk or thereabouts until then :cry2::laugh: ) then won't that spoil the surprise? (Not sure there is anyway to get around that...) Also, there's no reason to do only micro-scale builds right? I could make (my build is microscale, but in case I do more :grin: ), for example, a generic Kaliphlin with a... um... weapon rack? Or say a trader with a money-changing table? Something like that (basically, a small minifigure size gadget with or without a minifigure, depending on size/piece count - about how much are we supposed to have? Is under 50 pieces fine?) Okay, sorry for all the questions, I'm (almost) always like that... :laugh:

Two (at least) things: I've already built one, but if I put it on my photostream (I won't be able to photograph it until the end of the week at least anyway, which means I'll have to live with anything I build on my desk or thereabouts until then :cry2::laugh: ) then won't that spoil the surprise? (Not sure there is anyway to get around that...)

Yes, it will spoil the surprise for anyone who checks your photostream. Not sure there's an easy way around that. Either we take that risk (not everyone will look at your photostream probably), or you can email me the photo, and I won't put it up on Flickr until the day I post it here.

Also, there's no reason to do only micro-scale builds right? I could make (my build is microscale, but in case I do more :grin: ), for example, a generic Kaliphlin with a... um... weapon rack? Or say a trader with a money-changing table? Something like that (basically, a small minifigure size gadget with or without a minifigure, depending on size/piece count - about how much are we supposed to have? Is under 50 pieces fine?) Okay, sorry for all the questions, I'm (almost) always like that... :laugh:

I think that's fine. Microscale or minfig scale are both OK; it's probably the size of the build and/or piece count that matters. I suppose most of the advent calendar builds I've seen are probably under 20 pieces. Looks like the Star Wars and City Advent Calendars are about 10-16 pieces per day. Use your judgement.

I wrote down a list of thirteen build ideas this morning, so that takes care of half the days (assuming I get them built). So with a little help from the rest of Historica, we should be fine. If we get more than twenty-five, I'll post two on some days.

Yes, it will spoil the surprise for anyone who checks your photostream. Not sure there's an easy way around that. Either we take that risk (not everyone will look at your photostream probably), or you can email me the photo, and I won't put it up on Flickr until the day I post it here.

That's a good idea, only then it would be on your photostream (I'm picky :tongue: )... maybe you could PM me the date once you have a schedual and then I could upload it the day before?

I think that's fine. Microscale or minfig scale are both OK; it's probably the size of the build and/or piece count that matters. I suppose most of the advent calendar builds I've seen are probably under 20 pieces. Looks like the Star Wars and City Advent Calendars are about 10-16 pieces per day. Use your judgement.

:look: I hope 30 pieces is close enough (more like 34)?... I'll keep it down lower in any future ones I do...

That's a good idea, only then it would be on your photostream (I'm picky :tongue: )... maybe you could PM me the date once you have a schedual and then I could upload it the day before?

That works. PM me what your build is (a few word description), and I'll schedule it, and PM you back a date.

:look: I hope 30 pieces is close enough (more like 34)?... I'll keep it down lower in any future ones I do...

I think that's fine. I just did another one, and it was 55 pieces. That's probably a bit big (although a lot of those pieces are very small), and I'll try to keep them smaller. But around 30 should be OK, as long as they're not all 4x6 panels!

Can't wait until December 1st!

OK, I've edited the first post so it has a format that will be a little better for showing all the Advent calendar builds. I left the first two builds in there (but put a spoiler on the Dec 2nd build), so the first new build will be on December 3rd.

I have two more builds done, and have received four builds from others, so we're currently good through Dec 8. I have about ten more build ideas after that so far, and will have to get busy building and photographing them. But I definitely want to encourage others to build for this also, so it's not totally my show.

I'll try to post each day's build the night before California time. Unfortunately that means that NZ/Oz/Asia folks won't see it until about noon or so.

Hmm, I've been planning my own version of this for a while. If I come up with an extra build, I'll let you know about it.

Just know that I'm not "snubbing" or trying to compete with you, I just planned my own before I knew this was happening.

I look forward to seeing what everyone does. By the way, Great Microbuild! I like the use of headlight bricks and panels.

December 3rd - Fortified Bridge over the Muk River

8233452615_4b165ea6e5_n.jpg

GoH Advent Calendar - Bridge

An ancient fortified bridge over the Muk River, in south central Kaliphlin, with two sentry towers and a gate on the south end.

First post edited to include this photo

December 4th - Mitgardian Cottage (by Kai NRG)

8242880391_387d2d6490.jpg

A guest build today, from Kaliphlin guildmember Kai NRG!

Looks great! I think I have most of those pieces... might just have to build myself one! :grin:

:laugh: Looks great! Love the way you did the eight arms especially, and the purple on top of his head looks quite appropriate! :thumbup:

Edit: guess I can't count so early in the morning... :tongue:

Edited by Kai NRG