Sign in to follow this  
Lost_In_Noise

Pictorial Review: 8451 Dump Truck / Road Grader

tn_8451-1.jpg

8451 was released in 2003, contains 183 pieces, and features articulated steering via HOG and tilting bed.Brickset reports a retail price of $20, and that's about the same as the average BL price. The B-model of this set is a road grader, the only one seen in Technic.

The parts

The panels in this set is somewhat of a rarity, this item is only seen in this and the 8455 Back-Hoe.

tn_dscn4472.jpg

The smaller panel #5 is a bit more common, and featured in the above sets and the Hauler.

tn_dscn4473.jpg

The wheels are 6 of the Tire 43.2 x 28 Balloon Small, which are perhaps most known for their presence in the Power Puller set.

tn_dscn4474.jpg

There aren't many gears in this set, but these 5 are enough to make the dumper and the road grader function.

A model: Dump Truck

tn_dscn4478.jpg

The front part with the cocpit is made first as a separate element. It consists mostly of thin liftarms, and the HOG axle runs through the center.

tn_dscn4479.jpg

The HOG is geared down to a 1:2 ratio with these meshing gears.

tn_dscn4480.jpg

tn_dscn4481.jpg

tn_dscn4482.jpg

Here is the finished cocpit. Turning the HOG light moves the perpendicular axle connector from side to side.

tn_dscn4483.jpg

tn_dscn4484.jpg

The bed tilting works by a lever mechanism. Simple, but effective. This is how the tilting setup looks before the bucket is placed.

Half the bucket in place. Now you can see the whole tilting mechanism.

tn_dscn4485.jpg

Now that the bed is finished, all that remains is attaching it to the front.

tn_dscn4486.jpg

A 2 axle secures it in place, you can see it to the left of the DG 3/4 pin. The 6 wheels are attached by frictionless pins. Now the model is finished.

tn_dscn4487.jpg

tn_dscn4488.jpg

tn_dscn4489.jpg

Turning the Light Gray 20T DB gear tilts the bucket.

tn_dscn4490.jpg

tn_dscn4491.jpg

This is as far as it goes. Enough to lose any load.

tn_dscn4492.jpg

In comparison with 8264, it's simply dwarfed.

tn_dscn4493.jpg

tn_dscn4494.jpg

B model: Road Grader

tn_dscn4495.jpg

This build starts with the rear end and axle leading to the scoop/bucket. Interestingly, this has more steps than the main model; 44 vs 29. It uses 162 pieces, leaving 21.

tn_dscn4496.jpg

tn_dscn4497.jpg

Here you can see how the grader arm is elevated.

tn_dscn4498.jpg

This 12T DB gear is mounted directly on a pair of 3L thin liftarms with a frictionless pin. This will act as a HOG.

tn_dscn4499.jpg

The grader is mounted, now the front axle is all that remains.

tn_dscn4500.jpg

tn_dscn4501.jpg

This model uses a pushrod system to steer. A set of liftarms links the input to the axle.

And finished! Let's have a look....

tn_dscn4502.jpg

tn_dscn4503.jpg

That grey gear is easier to handle than it seems.

tn_dscn4504.jpg

tn_dscn4505.jpg

The steering angle is limited by the axles with bushes on them. But still the grader is able to make tight turns.

Scoop movement:

tn_dscn4506.jpg

tn_dscn4507.jpg

Verdict

This is a nice little set, which works flawlessly in all ways. The dump truck looks really nice, considering the limited parts supply. The road grader also looks better than the 8828 B-model, but I've seen far better MOCs around. It's a bit bigger than your average mini set, such as the Tracked Crane of this year.

Thanks for watching/reading. As always, big pics are @ BrickShelf

Edited by Lost_In_Noise

I always liked the road grader model, unfortunately I gave it away to a neighbor kid...now it fetches a lot more money...not that I could sell it, no box, kept the instructions though...a great compact model that works well with the 8453 Front Loader that if I recall came out the same year...

Great review :thumbup:

But I think their was another technic road grader in the 8074 set.

Keep on making such reviews !

Tibivi

@legomuppet9 - the 8074 is good set, but I still like the clean lines of the 8451 grader best. Amazon has a couple available, but high priced too.

Have you looked on eBay or bricklink?