CM4Sci

Legends of Chima TV Series

You know, it's a real shame Lego can't treat this series with the respect it could get. The inter tribe politics and forced state of almost peace that's created by Chi is very interesting.

The Cave Tribes should not have been locked away in the cave. While yes they were rude, bad, and antagonistic, they were only acting on their instincts. They never asked to be "born", and punishing them for simply trying to survive is amoral at best.

As for the Ice Hunters, they are actually evil. From what I've gathered from the last two episodes, as well as my own head canon, is this:

World of Chima is big and has many "Mount Cavorra"s. For the sake of simplicity, I'll refer to one we all know and love as "Chima Prime"

Chima Prime is an oasis surrounded by wasteland, which explains why it's so isolated.

Elsewhere on the planet, however, Chi Fonts sprung up and gave rise to many different animal races, with each group using their own kind of Chi.

Two of these groups are the Fire Tribes and the Hunter Tribes.

Fire Tribes have Fire Chi, which, say, grants extended life besides standard effects of Chi, and is all fire-y.

Hunter Tribes have Chi that can indefinitely renew themselves with regular uses.

So naturally these two groups of tribes are natural rivals and enemies.

Enter Sir Fangar, who is a warmonger and wants control of all the Chi for whatever reason.

Fluminox, leader of Fire Tribes, leads his forces to try and stop him attacking innocent Chi Fonts.

Battle Battle Yada Yada Fire beats Hunter, and imprisons them deep below the Gorge, right next to Fangar's next target and site of the major battle.

Fire also freezes Hunters in ice to ensure their regeneration abilities can't help them get out.

Time passes, Chi is continually thrown down bottomless holes, etc.

The Chi of Chima Prime is very powerful, as it's "ability" is the Golden Chi, which can cause great change and alter structures and such, as well as create and manipulate matter.

So the general presence of Scorn constantly using Golden Chi to build his great statue, as well as all the Golden Chi hoarded by Lavertus, changes the nature of the Hunter Chi, which now has Ice powers on top of it's usual powers.

This comes to a head when Scorn throws down Chi at Fangar, who revives with the Chi.

During the thousand years or so of dreamless sleep, the Fire Tribes sort of become a world police, protecting other Chi Fonts and their inhabitants. They don't interact with Chima Prime, through the "Prime Directive" a la Star Trek.

Yada Yada this season happens, Fire Tribes come in to help Chima Prime against their mortal enemy, the newly christened "Ice Hunters"

Much fighting, Laval and Li'ella fall in love, etc. etc. Good guys win.

The heads of the Ice Hunters are taken out, and the rest of the tribes surrender.

Fire Tribes help Chima Prime reestablish relations with Cave Tribes, and make a road to the wider world beyond the Outlands.

Chima Prime enters the world stage as a new power, with their allies the Fire Tribes, and possibly the Ice Tribes as well.

New factions and forces and color schemes, such as an Ocean Chi Tribes, Jungle/Plant Chi Tribes, Stone Dragon/Dinosaur Chi Tribes, etc.

The reason why LEGO hasn't given Chima the "love it deserves" is because LEGO is already doing enough for it as it is. Chima is lucky it has the media coverage it's gotten, by all estimations NINJAGO has been more profitable for NINJAGO both before and after Chima came into play.

Simply put, there's not a huge amount of story to work with when it comes to Chima. It's a bunch of tribes fighting over a single (but relatively common) power source, and none of the tribes have any specific gains from using it other than the bottom-basic one every tribe has, with the exception of the Hunters, who would probably be melted by the Fire Chi the same way the Ark of The Covenant melted the faces of the Nazis in Raiders Of The Lost Ark. Even NINJAGO in its first year had more story potential than Chima did. Four Ninja, four weapons, an old Sensei who was the brother of the enemy (who also forcibly took control of the Underworld), and the incredibly distinctive personalities of each primary protagonist (eg, Kai, Cole, Jay, Zane and Nya), something Chima had a complete lack of other than "childish", "not actually evil" and "evil, but only because of a misunderstanding". The result of Zane being a Nindroid still has plot potential today, which led to an entire year based off of his nature as a Nindroid, and it's probably going to have large implications.

That's not to say Chima coudn't have been done better. It really could have, IMO.

I found out that LEGO officially was putting up those Russian episodes on VK, so I went ahead and binged watched the 10 available Chima episodes.(At least I hope it was official. The social media page looked official enough by saying LEGO Chima and linking to lego.com, and had photos of the Chima Magazine and polls. I don't speak Russian, so I had no clue what the polls were about anyways, but it looked like the polls on the U.S. LEGO Facebook pages.)

Despite the lack of English dialogue, and a full seven minutes cut ot of episode 33(And a minute and a half out of episode 34, you could tell it was missing), it was still fun to watch. I was surprised at how much was accomplished though...

BIG SPOILERS FOR SEASON TWO EPISODES 7-16!!!

So our heroes find the Fire Tribe. Every major "Hero's Party" member (And LaGravis) except Bladvic, who is so underused, he even gets kidnapped and frozen once just like all the minor Bear and Raven characters just to get him out of the way for two episodes. I remember Razar being frozen, and then appearing unfrozen, but don't remember him being unfrozen either. Continuity is a pain...for us.

Panthar is indeed in the show. Eris has two visions, one of him heralding the destruction of Eagle Spire and the other of him running to Mount Cavora, which falls from the sky and hits the frozen Lion City. It's the latter dream that causes Fluminox to send the Legend Beasts to the villages, where they are easier targets, erm, protectors of Chima. With wierd fire breath.

But it gets better. Remember in episode 10 and 11 when the Wolves stole the Chi from the Temple? Sir Fanger and his troops use a tunnel to get to the Lion Temple, and kidnap LaGravis! Obviously Laval becomes temporary king until the rescue mission goes underway, but in the meantime, Sir Fangar launches a MASSIVE invasion...it was really exciting to watch.

Plovar, Furtivo, Dom De La Woosh and more appear as frozen trophies. But after Liella gets kidnapped, Laval launches a rescue mission and frees EVERYONE, including the Crawlers. Tormak actually gets webbed by Spinlyn because he doesn't recognize Spiders and gets caught off guard, though he escapes later. No sign of Lavertus yet though.

You can't usually access VK with an account, but links to the page sometimes work.

Edited by Starrocks923

Well, the plot's moving at a snails pace.

I would judge Eris as insane, if she wasn't right. And the introduction of the Phoenixes was kinda anitclimatic.Is anyone let down by the way the (MOVING) Ice Hunter Temple looks compared to the set?

Wow. Just wow...

Panthar makes his "debut" in episode 37, and it's pretty shocking. Not who I expected but a brilliant plot twist, with a bait and switch Ninjago should pull off sometime.

BIG SPOILERS! The episode is on LEGO's VK channel if anyone speaks russian.

It's Tormak with his fur burnt by the explosion of the Phoenix Fire Temple map. He tried to steal it to trade for Liella.

Well, that was certainly unexpected. When the new series comes out on disc I'll get it and watch it for once.

We are now two episodes into the season!

To put it simply, I think we could speak of these episodes in their entirety, as the show has literally gone no where from the end of "Season 2."

The only new thing besides the obvious rise of Sir Fangar's Hunters is Eris' "Fire Dreams." Her reactions do seem a bit over the top, and Cragger's teasing is far too childish for his character (even though, oddly enough, Cragger and Laval are still children who like to play "fun games." It's time to get a grasp on their ages, writers. If they have their own cars, they aren't exactly children, are they...).

There also seems to be a consistency issue from the first season. I greatly recall the wide use of CHI during one of the major Speedorz races in Season 1. Gorzan's reaction to Cragger and Laval using CHI during the Speedorz race in the episode "Fire Dreaming" seems to contradict that.

Just something I noticed.

Yes, what age are they supposed to be anyway...?

Yes, what age are they supposed to be anyway...?

We have no clear information as to what Laval and Cragger's ages are. If they are following the growth/age pattern of their animal counterparts, Laval is around three years old (the adult age of a lion), whereas Cragger could be anywhere between four and six years old (the latter being the age a crocodile is considered an adult). However, the writers/designers may be mixing the characteristics of what both their animal and human ages would consider appropriate for that age.

It's also important to note that nearly all animals love to play around, even in their adult lives. This simply could be the way Chima decides to cover that area of their lives.

It's been a while since I last posted, so mind the the double post.

"Trial by Fire" was the first episode of the season that I really enjoyed.

We got some wonderful backstory which helped us understand the whole purpose of the Phoenix in the first place, not to mention that the change of pace with the intro of Fire CHI. Tormak's loyal attitude was presented quite out of the blue, but by know we should know the reason why it was.

All in all, a great episode.

Edited by Penkid11

I agree, though this:

Whole thing with Eris being the chosen one is quite interesting, Knights of the Round Table anyone?

I was thinking more Aves-supremisist. :tongue:

Maybe they've (Eris and Fluminox) communicated through Eris' dreams? Fluminox (what with his awful voice modulation) pulls of the demigod vibe, so why not?

What with Flinx having a set next year titled "The Ultimate Phoenix," I have a feeling that Chima is trying to create their own Lloyd Garmadon (little kid that children appeal to that will eventually become a main character and the savior of the world.

Edited by Penkid11

I was thinking more Aves-supremisist. :tongue:

Maybe they've (Eris and Fluminox) communicated through Eris' dreams? Fluminox (what with his awful voice modulation) pulls of the demigod vibe, so why not?

What with Flinx having a set next year titled "The Ultimate Phoenix," I have a feeling that Chima is trying to create their own Lloyd Garmadon (little kid that children appeal to that will eventually become a main character and the savior of the world.

Maybe, though I really want to see Chima go back to it's first year style, it had the feeling of a grand conflict being waged, something that the show has but the sets don't.

I actually agree with the Avian supremacy, and I agree with Fluminox possibly being a Demigod.

I strongly advise you all to wait to watch episode 12 of the new season until it's in english. I wish it did, because the way it connected to the first AND second season made this Eurobrick member grin from ear to ear.

I knew it would happen, but I'm glad they managed to link to something early on in the first season AND give kids something to get hyped about. Now I know for sure that I'm going to buy lots of Chima sets next year...

I strongly advise you all to wait to watch episode 12 of the new season until it's in english. I wish it did, because the way it connected to the first AND second season made this Eurobrick member grin from ear to ear.

I knew it would happen, but I'm glad they managed to link to something early on in the first season AND give kids something to get hyped about. Now I know for sure that I'm going to buy lots of Chima sets next year...

A link for those of us who are curious? Please?

A link for those of us who are curious? Please?

I suppose, but I wouldn't suggest it without english dialogue.

https://vk.com/video-58707738_169184697#/video?gid=58707738

You can watch 12 of the 13 Fire VS. Ice episodes there, and the last episode will be available next monday. Unless I'm mistaken, the episodes are directly related to the official LEGO page, either from it or linking to it.

Also, it required an account at first, but later on, links to the site did not require logging on.

And with the whole avian supremacy thing, did anyone wonder why Razar and other flying creatures didn't get these and why it was just Eris and not the whole Eagle tribe?

I watched them as well. It was actually pretty good, esp. the episodes surrounding Tormak. My favorite part though was when all the mammoths played "Here comes the Bride" with their trunks!

And with the whole avian supremacy thing, did anyone wonder why Razar and other flying creatures didn't get these and why it was just Eris and not the whole Eagle tribe?

I watched them as well. It was actually pretty good, esp. the episodes surrounding Tormak. My favorite part though was when all the mammoths played "Here comes the Bride" with their trunks!

EYES MELTING FROM POTENTIAL SPOLIERS

Seriously, I don't think I want to know more, not until it primiers.

Episode 31 "The Crescent," aired yesterday.

Thoughts:

The Crescent itself finally made the Blazing Bastion (The Flying Phoenix Fire Temple's name according to the Lego Club magazine) and it's landing zone make sense set-wise. Same with the Speedorz and the new Powerupz.

It irked me that Fluminox, having ground-dwellers be tested in order to claim Fire CHI, was instantly ret-conned thanks to Rogon and Worriz. They made it seem really important at first.

Fluminox's full trust in Tormak is really evident, which is nice, due to Tormak's eventual...er... "betrayal."

And just when I was getting used to the horrid voices in this show, they introduce, the all too masculine-sounding Li'Ella.

The episodes are starting to get a lot better story-wise, and not being completely child-like. I can see the rest of this season turning out quite well!

Edited by Penkid11

Episode 31 "The Crescent," aired yesterday.

Thoughts:

The Crescent itself finally made the Blazing Bastion (The Flying Phoenix Fire Temple's name according to the Lego Club magazine) and it's landing zone make sense set-wise. Same with the Speedorz and the new Powerupz.

It irked me that Fluminox, having ground-dwellers be tested in order to claim Fire CHI, was instantly ret-conned thanks to Rogon and Worriz. They made it seem really important at first.

Fluminox's full trust in Tormak is really evident, which is nice, due to Tormak's eventual...er... "betrayal."

And just when I was getting used to the horrid voices in this show, they introduce, the all too masculine-sounding Li'Ella.

The episodes are starting to get a lot better story-wise, and not being completely child-like. I can see the rest of this season turning out quite well!

I really, really, didn't like her voice, she sounds way too old, and yet she's interested in Laval?

I agree, the Fire Chi test is a wasted plot point, but at least Firox and, what was his name again? had a good appearance.

Yeah, her voice irks me so much. I was just watching it with my friend, and when she came out of the temple and spoke, we were both like "Is that a boy?" (although I knew Li'ella was female). Oh well, it's just another character to add to my "bad voice acting" list.

Overall, the episode was very good.

Guys, itseems in Poland we already get next episode afterCrescent.

Sadly it's just a filler with Flinx and...

G'loona!

. It was quite funny though.

Don't worry, episode 33 marks an important change in the story. By the end of episode 34, there is someone missing, captured or trapped at the end of every episode for the rest of the season. 32 is the only full filler episode from here on out.

Speaking of which, remember that kid who mentioned on the LEGO Message Boards the season two episode synopsis is advance? He claims that Canal J in France is going to get episodes 40-44 soon. Episode 39 was clearly not the end of the Fire VS Ice episodes, so these are probably going to be about the winter 2015 wave of sets.

Well, I quite liked the episode.

The dynamics between Flinx and G'Loona was interesting, and it had the best moments of the episode.

I do not, however, like Laval and Li'Ella's 'Romance', currently, they express it in stares that take entirely too long, and it really slows down the story.

My thoughts:

Li' Ella sounds like a female Laval (not a good thing, but at least she sounded female this time).

The dynamic between Flinx and G'loona is excellent. I found myself very intrigued by the fruit sanctuaries.

And my first genuine laugh in months while watching this show goes to... Dom De La Woosh. His loneliness is just sad, and I can't help but laugh at his personality. We need more of "The Woosh." Maybe even a minifigure.

I can't believe how the writers are executing Flinx's "higher calling" -being outright front with it*. They're trying to make their own Lloyd Garmadon/Green Ninja sort of deal. The buildup that accompanied the Green Ninja story is what made it so exciting. Flaming wings, something that every Phoenix has, is not in any way.

*One of Flinx's sets in 2015 is "Flinx's Ultimate Phoenix." Judging by that, Flinx has something important coming to his development.

Edited by Penkid11

Well, I quite liked the episode.

The dynamics between Flinx and G'Loona was interesting, and it had the best moments of the episode.

I do not, however, like Laval and Li'Ella's 'Romance', currently, they express it in stares that take entirely too long, and it really slows down the story.

Entirely in stares? Wow, Screen Junkies would have a FIELD DAY with that then.