Sign in to follow this  
Rail Co

Turntables

Hello Train Fans!

I was wanting to know what your ideas were for train Turntables. I need one when i set up my layout again. It would help to have all ideas because when it comes to turntables i have no idea what i'm doing!

Thanks,

Rail Co

Very relevant to my interests, as I'm currently working on a turntable.

I'd like to build it entirely out of Lego, however, as opposed to sinking it into plywood.

They are cumbersome though, I have created a segment turntable that was very satisfying, but I was not totally satisfied with my normal turntables. They are huge if you want to turn an emerald with tender, and what usage is there if you can't turn your steam engines?! ;)

I have thought of building one but they just seem to be such a big thing that as I don't have a layout up all the time I just have nowhere to store such a structure. When i was thinking about one though it did seem that best way would be to sink it into the base board but as I said not having a set up all the time I don't have a base board to sink into. (I'm sure the wife would not allow me to dig up the living room floor!) So to get a turning system it seemed that it would have to be at least a brick high and so require a run up of around three straights just to allow the engine to climb onto it, then about a four straights to allow the longest engines with tenders to get onto it to turn around, not to mention anything the other side of it. So it would in a way become the whole layout revolving around a turntable scene as I have limited space so I just forgot about it as a bad job that was not possible for me. Maybe one day when I have a large house with a basement or attic space suitable. I am dreaming of that!

I built a turntable last year and it's really useful and fun to have one, No more running around loops or wyes to change direction.

Mine is 5 plates high so there is quite a lead in required; there are two level straight's before the turntable, then 1/2 plate grade for two straight and then a 1 plate grade beyond that. The turntable is three straights long and can hold the Emerald Night which is the longest of my engines.

turntable.main%20(Small).jpg

turntable.emerald%20(Small).jpg

engine.shed.turntable.front%20(Small).jpg

More details here:

http://www.eurobrick...showtopic=55176

:classic: :classic:

Edited by AussieJimbo

Wow, that's a beautiful turntable Aussie and your engine shed is excellent as well. I'm holding off the need for a turntable by using tank engines for my railway, but I'm going to need one eventually.

Why don't you build a wye (http://www.brickpile...t-geometry/#wye)? This way, the length of the train is only limited by the shortest track coming out of the wye.

When using 9 V trains: a wye will cause an electric short circuit, so make sure you use isolation to prevent this. You can use short pieces of flextrack for this.

Regards,

Alain