Sign in to follow this  
CMP

Heroica RPG - Quest #51: A Shanty for Science

"Ever heard of the Lion Knights?" Arthur piped up. "They're an up and coming force, and they've got a sweet setup between here and Dastan--not to mention Bric'bay's small enough to fall beneath Bonaparte notice. Might be worth a look if the Bonapartes get too troublesome--I've run a few missions for the Lions, and they're certainly a lot more accommodating than the Boneys have been lately."

Arthur then returns to trying to translate exactly what the hobgoblin had said. He idly wonders if Barur's healing skill might be able to repair the hobgoblin's impediment, at least somewhat.

8005141535_d90f058421_t.jpg

"It'd be easier to hire a ship that's not in trouble with the Bonapartes than to have goods shipped across Uland before being loaded onto a ship. Anyone who wants to make a decent living on the seas has to deal with them, been that way for two and a half centuries, and I don't think it'll change anytime soon...I guess it could be worse. Could be like the world of trading, which is caught between two factions rather than controlled by only one."

Edited by CallMePie

Thalion remembered the initials B.D. from the logbook and asked himself "could those letters mean Babeleth Darklands or something connected to them..."

He continued, "Well, I have to say, that will be my first time sailing that far away from Uland. Now, if you don't mind captain, I think we should go and check the cargo now. Duties and all that. We will talk more afterwords..."

Though he had struggled greatly in comprehending the hobgoblin's words, Arthur finally felt he had understood at least most of the fellow's meaning. "Perhaps our Cleric could aid what ails you, at least somewhat. Still, I am glad to see you have found your path in spite of your difficulties. There are many in Eubric who would do well to follow your example." His respect for both the hobgoblin and Captain Illdria had risen immensely over the past few minutes. Still, his mind wandered back to the tidbits of tactical information that De'kra had shared, and to the hobgoblin's words about misfortune... "Sir hobgoblin--apologies if I missed your name, I don't believe we have been introduced formally--if I may ask, what is the story behind that scarf of yours? When, exactly did you acquire it, and from whom?"

IC: De'kra stared at the sea beneath him with a sulken expression, despite his last voyage had been on that adventure in Dastan. Despite the primitive design the craft reminded him of when he had sailed in the distant past, traveling from isle to isle. Often he had flown through the skies on airships, or at least he remembering doing it. It was becoming increasingly hard to ignore, but in all his memories, all of the past he recalled, he was never in it, only observing. Never interacting. Never...existing.

Edited by Tanma

All this politics talk bored/confused Barur, who had been outside society for a while before the start of the quest, so he walked to the front of the ship and stood there, starign at the blue sea ahead. He'd travelled from far but there was always more to know. This darklands they where heading were new to him, and he found it exciting. The vastness of the world never stopped amazing him. His thoughts drifted to the chance encounter he had in the Hall before his departure...how did she fare after he parted he wondered, perhaps she is even at a quest very much like this sailing to some other wonderfull part of land. Barur let out a grin and stared at the ocean...

8004591584_bd2a0470e0_t.jpg

"Oh yef, my mame if...weww, my weaw mame i' umpwomoumfabwe mow, amd I do mof mow how 'o wife. Fhe cwew cawwf me Mife-'Omgue. Fi'img. 'If fcawf I puwchawf in a hop' im Goboia, and have cawwief i' acwoff much of Owegaia."

He paused.

"I' haf beem faw 'oo omg infe I've ha' a weaw cowverfafum. Migh' I afk youw mame af weww?"

Edited by CallMePie

"Arthur. Arthur Justus Regulus VII, Sorcerer." Arthur shakes Knife-Tongue's hand, and then glances at his scarf. "I asked because your scarf exudes a magical aura that seems somehow linked to fortune and misfortune. If I might offer a suggestion, I'd advise you to keep it in your pocket or somewhere else that's safe unless or until it becomes necessary for you to use it in combat. It may hold ill luck for you at present, but I have an inkling that its abilities may prove to be more advantageous to you in a fight."

Arthur approaches Thalion. "Sir, Master Knife-Tongue here has offered us use of his Fishing Rod for a mere 20 Gold. I think we should have plenty of time left to inspect the cargo, the Bone-heads hardly give us any time to relax anyway, let's take the chance while we can. Who knows? We may even end up stronger as a result of the relaxation."

I'll pay for the use of the rod, I'm just giving the others a chance to prepare and use consumables if they want to. :wink:

8004591584_bd2a0470e0_t.jpg

"Hmm. Magic, you fay? May efpwam my bou' wif Wawy Wuck. Oh, hewe you go."

Arthur hands over 20 coins, and Knife-Tongue hands over his fishing rod, already cast out, and then removes his scarf, tucking it into his coat.

...And of course, it only figures you get the best friggin' roll. :facepalm:

Several minutes pass, and suddenly, he feels a tug on the line, and quickly yanks it out of the water. Hooked on the end is what seems to be a soaked, dank rag, until he gets a better look at it.

8004588775_64e0d96525_t.jpgCloak of Deception - (Free hits against the wearer have a 1/6 chance to be redirected to a random opponent, backwear.)

Edited by CallMePie

"Hm. After much consideration, I think I'll keep this beauty, but De'kra can hold onto it for now--he's got the most Health out of us, and I'd rather not sacrifice my own defenses or my ability to cast spells--yet."

"So, shall we return this rod to Knife-Tongue and commence our inspection, or do the rest of you have another idea on how to proceed?"

IC: De'kra dipped his head in thanks to Arthur, before clicking, "Is now good time to talk? You had questions earlier I think?"

Arthur nods. "Yes, though mostly of a personal nature. But I feel I cannot pry into your own affairs until I offer you the chance of sight into mine. And yet..." Arthur hesitates, but continues nonetheless. "Much has...much has changed since our last meeting. An acknowledgement of truths that I had long suppressed. I...there are truths...about myself...truths that may be difficult for you to accept. Are you certain you are willing to face them? You have long been among my closest friends among Heroes, but I would not burden you with such knowledge unless you are sure--unless you are willing--to accept it. I have glimpsed my Destiny, and it is of darkness as much as light. Are you prepared for this truth?"

IC: De'kra paused for a time, before he clicked, "I am not sure, as I currently not know what your secrets are. But...I can try. And in truth, I can believe in redemption, and I know that sometimes the good of someone's life not take away the bad of their life, but neither is it denied. For instance, there is race from my world called Makuta. They are shapeshifters, able to bend their forms at will. Their bodies are all but unbreakable, and they have forty two different types of powers, not including their ability to leave their body and possess another life form. And their main power is over shadow."

"Makuta grew jealous of I people's...god," De'kra said with a pained tone, "How he was worship and honor. He rarely interact directly and we, but part of his job was to observe other worlds, and he fear that if he interact and we too much, he might become a tyrant. So in their jealous, Makuta cast him into a sleep, causing we world to begin to die. Makuta began to kill all we heroes, and conquer entire planet save few isles. Finally group of heroes save we god from death and awaken him, but they were trick. One Makuta manage to possess we god, and so he was awaken as Great-Spirit. Immediately he kill his fellow Makuta, and oppress everyone on planet and his new unlimit power. That one reason I not comfortable around Clerics, I not like to think about we god Mata-Nui, nor about how vulnerable they make their own gods by advertise their power."

"But among Makuta, one grew depress," De'kra concluded, "He call Krika, and he not like Plan. He figure that no matter what he and his kind were doom, whether they succeed or not, so he rarely resist his fellow Makuta. But he resist. When Makuta who would later possess we god overthrew old Makuta leader, Krika hid him on faraway isle instead of execute him. When he fought heroes whose destiny was to awake Great-Spirit, he plead and one of them to leave, and avert dark future. When one of other Makuta try to make bid for power, Krika aid him, know that the usperer's plan would be far less dangerous and evil than steal god's power. Nd then when he heard how their leader plan to kill him and his fellow Makuta, he try to warn them. They kill him before he could explain, but I think it speak volumes that he risk it. I think in end, he was not hero, but he was not evil. And if he had live, maybe he could have grown to be hero. He once mention that reason he despise heroes of I world, was because he was not as noble as them. I not sure. But despite what he enact, crimes he enact, and how long he follow plan, I remember him for good too, perhaps even more."

Party

Arthur_Sorcerer_Ava1.jpg

Arthur Justus Regulus VII (played by Flipz) *Immune to Sealed* *Party Leader*

Level 18 Sorcerer

Power: 30

Health: 28/28

Ether: 19/28

Defense: 3

Gold: 2

Equipment: Sir Roderick's Sword (WP:12, Darkness elemental), Robe of the Archmagi (SP:3, Max Ether +5, Immune to Sealed), Lens of Speed Reading (Accessory, Allows a scroll to be read in addition to a normal action. Suitable for scroll users.)

Inventory:

Staff of the Cultist Battlemage (WP: 7, lent to Barur Tormek; 50% chance of Fleeing upon being KO'd; suitable for Mages and Clerics), Healing Staff (WP:5; heals instead of damaging), Ancient Crown (First successful strike of battle deals Cursed effect, borrowed from Atramor Gibbin), Cloak of Deception (Free hits against the wearer have a 1/6 chance to be redirected to a random opponent, lent to De'kra), Opal (Ice), Amethyst (Darkness), Topaz (Lightning), Diamond (Light), Ruby (Fire, borrowed from Barur Thormek) Bedroll, Telescope, Shovel, Scroll of Blindness, Scroll of Sealing, Scroll of Confusion, Scroll of Sleep, Scroll of Frailty, Scroll of Armor Sundering (Reduces target’s SP by 5 and has a 50/50 chance of success), Scroll of Poisoning(Grants target’s weapon the badly poisoned effect for one battle at the cost of 5 ether), Scroll of Luck (Grants target the lucky-effect for one battle. Costs 10 ether.), Grand Tonic, Holy Bomb, Remedy, Nostrum, 3 Cobblestones, 2 Bonaparte Cadet Uniforms, Blunt Dagger (WP: 1, dagger), Shipping Logs, Assorted Bonaparte Letters

dwarfclericsm.jpg

Barur Thormek (played by Aveal the black sheep)

Level 10 Cleric

Power: 17

Health: 18/18

Ether: 14/14

Defense: 1

Gold: 139

Equipment: Staff of the Cultist Battlemage (WP: 7, borrowed from Arthur Justus Regulus VII; 50% chance of Fleeing upon being KO'd; suitable for Mages and Clerics), Robe of the Magi (SP: 1), Ancient Crown (First successful strike deals the Cursed effect, headwear, borrowed from Arthur Justus Regulus VII)

Inventory: Topaz (Lightning, lent to Thalion Dwinlas), Ruby (Fire, lent to Arthur Justus Regulus VII), Potion, Remedy, 2 Venoms, 5 Bones, Bedroll, 2 Tonics, Rune Staff (WP: 4), Mulled Wine (Causes the Inspired-effect, doubling the target's current and maximum health for the duration of one battle.)

De%27kra_and_Kapura.png

De'kra (played by Tanma) *Immune to Enamored* *Immune to Confused*

Level: 19.5 Assassin

Power: 26

Health: 30/30

Gold: 77

Equipment: Kapura (WP:7, Fire), Cloak of the Blue Assassin(SP: 1), Heart Locket(Protects from enamored effect and confused effect)

Inventory: Explosive Handcannon (WP: 8, double WP to rock monsters), Chiara (WP:7, Electricity), Shadeaux Dagger(WP:5, loaned to Thalion Dwinlas), Fauxthril Hand Cannon(WP:7), Cloak of the Elven Spy, Cloak of Deception (Free hits against the wearer have a 1/6 chance to be redirected to a random opponent, borrowed from Arthur Justus Regulus VII), Bedroll, Pickaxe, Shovel, Magnifying Glass, Magic Compass, Potions (10), Grand Potions (3), Remedy (3), Phoenic Essence (3), Smoke Bombs (2), Dirt Bomb, Ice Bomb

Thalion Dwinlas (played by -obelix-)

Level 6 Mage

Power: 11

Health: 10/10

Ether: 10/10

Gold: 34

Equipment: Shadeuax Dagger (WP: 5, borrowed from De'kra), Leather Cap (SP:1)

Inventory: Ruby (Fire), Opal (Ice), Topaz (Lightning, borrowed from Barur Thormek) 2 Potions, Bedroll, Dagger (WP: 3), Mulled Wine (Causes the Inspired-effect, doubling the target's current and maximum health for the duration of one battle.)

Tanma, if you want to equip a different cloak, make sure to bold it.

Knife-Tongue returns to his fishing, Illdria remains in control of the ship. Does the party want to stay and chat more, or move belowdecks towards the cargo hold?

Arthur's eyes grew hazy and distant. He could...see...many things...as De'kra spoke, images drifted through his mind...some familiar...some not... Some, he felt, had connection to the small being's words, while others... "Wren...Caroline...Father..."

Arthur was alone, a plane of purest white. A point of smoky black appeareed, rushing toward him before transforming into the city of Eubric--but darkened, under hold of some foreign force. As Arthur raced towards the city, it seemed to slide away from him, and tendrils of light began to emerge, from Heroica Hall, Zeigfried Manor, the Ji Pei Palace, The Invision Guildhouse, the Town Watch barracks...all the great centers of power, and even some he did not know. The light latched on to the city, driving off the dark...but under the pressure of their grasp the city began to crumble, and soon it all collapsed, a maelstrom of stone, timber, and masonry, all circling, swirling as if down a whirlpool to a great chasm that opened up the city, leading to a dark temple he had never seen and yet was instantly familiar...as the disassembled remains of the city swirled into the temple, they collapsed into a singularity of purest light...

He was home. That much he knew, though the gates of the dark temple had not changed, the skies grew dark, a tint of violet emanating from the north, beams of green from the watchtowers to the east. He was a child once more, and his childhood friends stood with him. Did they dare press forward? Did they dare risk opening the doors of the forbidden temple? Arthur took a step forward, just as he had those many years before, and stretched out his hand...and as they had back then, the gates opened with a loud CRACK--

A beam of light shot forward, impaling the sphere of light from before. The trio turned, suddenly adults, and behind them stood Roni, hundreds of times larger than her true size. In her hand, she held a gilt scepter, a perfect orb of ruby at its tip. The light shot into the orb, and the child's eyes grew somber. With a look of grave pain and age far, far beyond the years of any mortal, she raised the scepter. An aura of red surrounded her...a tear ran down her face...Arthur raised his arms, a futile gesture to defend himself...

Arthur suddenly awoke, arms still raised, his party standing around him. He looked at De'kra, a look of sadness and bewildered understanding in his countenance. "Yes, De'kra," he says simply, "yes."

Arthur walks quietly and silently to the cargo hold, though to Thalion and De'kra there is something changed about him...something elusive they could not quite put their finger on, but something noticeable, familiar perhaps, nonetheless.

IC: After Arthur left, De'kra turned to Thalion and whispered, "Do not be concern, but I feel I should give you some of his backstory. It not my place to give out a lot of information, but you need to know somethings. From what I uncover, his ancestors once dabble in chaos, though I not know if they had connection to Zoot. Regardless of Zoot link, that past might be part of the reason he sometimes gets intense now. I not sure how long you have been in Heroica, but there is this witch call Wren. She is kind of main enemy of Heroica. She use to be part of Heroica, till she encounter Temple of Zoot, at least accord to recent findings. She and fellow party member each had vision, which corrupt them. While other try to harness Eubric Light god to destroy Zoot, Wren decide to overthrow Zoot and claim his power as her own, if I heard tale right."

"Wren return to history recently," he concluded, "when she sent several heroes to battle to death in areana. Sometime later she create civil war, to feed off its chaos. It was at her next big move that Arthur met her. She was at Dastan, work on her plan. I was there try to stop Cultists, while Arthur was after rogue knights. It is long story. But while he was in Dastan, Arthur grew more intense. He seem mostly fine when I spoke to him, but his teammates record...odd behavior. After events in Dastan end, Arthur immediately sign up on first quest involve Wren he found, which reveal much of her past. I trust he is good person, I just thought you might want to know a little of his history."

That done, De'kra entered the cargo hold.

Edited by Tanma

Thalion follows his companions, quietly, with a worried look on his face. He remembered captain's worning about staying as short as possible in their destination. Has something already happened that he wasn't aware of? Has this place they were going to started working its dark magic? Still he didn't feel anything change. Then he remembered wise Nerwen's care for the well-being of others, and he made a silent wow to himself to look after his companions as best as he could... Thalion follows Arthur to the cargo hold.

On the way there, he listens to De'kras explanation and replies, "Thank you master De'kra, that wasn't in any of the books or scrolls I have read. I have spent most of my time in our small, isolated domain, hunting and practicing the Art. Of course, we know of the gods and we worship them, but since we live in a secluded harmony with nature affairs of gods and even mortals are, WERE, of little concern to us. Recently more and more trouble seem to be appearing, and thats why we are encouraged to go out, and help the world in any way we can. We, elves, are sensitive to the suffering of the land; if it suffers so do we. And the more time I spend here, the more the land seems to be in suffering. So I am sure you can understand that I have to be a little concerned, but I will try my best not to jeopardize anything or anyone." With that Thalion bows a little and smiles to De'kra.

Edited by -obelix-

IC: De'kra nodded and clicked, "Your home sound nice, nicer than Eubric at any rate. I agree, the land here suffers, people suffer, society suffers, only ones who hardly suffer are wealthy and powerful. Back home it not like that. We leaders start ff as normal villagers, who just work and play. Then if they are so call, they will become tall heroes and complete mastery over element. For ages they will serve and protect world, defend them from dangers and use powers to prevent disasters. One day they will use up their power, and shrink to their old size. From then on they will use wisdom and knowledge they gain as heroes and duty and worth ethic they had as villagers to guide we. "

Arthur overheard something about a discussion on homelands. He hardly paid attention; his thoughts we upon himself. Home...my home...but was it really? Arthur thought back to the people he knew, the betrayals they had committed against him... No. That is not my home. "Home" is a safe place, an inviting place, a place where you are wanted, needed... But where was that place for him now? Eubric? No, it was a place of hostility and strife as much as his old homeland. He did not feel "home" there. But had he ever truly felt it? Yes...Bric'bay...Dastan...these were the places, the places where I first found my way. And yet, he thought, both are places that cannot sustain my destiny. I suppose that is the sacrifice of the true Hero...sacrificing those things they could never keep in defense of those very things.

"Go ahead as you waste your days with thinking...

When you fall, everyone stands.

Another day and you've had your fill of sinking,

with the life held in your...

Hands are shakin' cold...

These hands are meant to hold...

Speak to me...

When all you gotta keep is strong,

Move along, move along, like I know you'll do,

And even when your hope is gone,

Move along, move along, just to make it through,

Move along... Move along...

So a day when you've lost yourself completely,

Could be a night when your life ends.

Such a heart that will lead you to deceiving,

All the pain held in your...

Hands are shakin' cold..."

A whisper floated on the breeze, as from the realm of spirits: These hands are mine to hold...

"Speak to me...

Move along...

When everything is wrong, we move along.

When everything is wrong, we move...

Along...

Along...

Along...

Along...

Move along...

Right back what is wrong, we move along...

Right back what is wrong, we move along...

Right back what is wrong, we move...

Along."

On Arthur's melodious insistence, the party moves along, going belowdecks. They're headed for the cargo hold, but above that is the galley, where they spot the dwarf and another, odder figure, robed in gray and black.

8004590978_787ccf6d5d_z.jpg

Will the party continue, or stop to talk?

"Greetings fellow passengers! Since we are going to the same destination, might as well get to know each other. My name is Thalion. What are your names, gentlemen?"

8005098882_33a1ee8ace_t.jpg

"My name's Melvin, I'll be cookin' for ye this trip!"

8005134320_82b1ff7393_t.jpg

"Indeed...you may call me Jules."

Thalion bows slightly to each of them, "A pleasure to meet you! Master Melvin, would your specialty by any chance be sausages? We have heard rumors of a ship's cook that makes sausages of such taste that they prolong the life itself for those who eat them! Would you by any chance be that man?"

Turning to Jules, "I am ashamed to say, but master Jules we didn't hear about you from the captain. Would you be kind enough to enlighten us of your position on the ship? We are not expert mariners..."

8005098882_33a1ee8ace_t.jpg

"Ahaha! So they heard of my recipe, eh? Yes, it's true, the sausages of the eastern coast of Ennon are legendary, ye gotta have just the right ratio of-....well, heh, I can't give away secrets like that, 'pologies. I can tell ye the spices are hard to get ahold of."

8005134320_82b1ff7393_t.jpg

"Nor am I. I'll explain to you in the simplest and most familiar terms I can; I am the stitches to this wound of a ship."

Thalion looked at Jules, "That is very poetic way to put it, but thank you, it answers my question." Thinking to himself, (To a degree...)

He then turned to Melvin, "Well, you know how sailors in the taverns at the docks can be. I wasn't sure you were the man. Tell me, master Melvin, could you make us some of that famous dish of yours? I am willing to compensate your effort for it, how expensive are those special ingredients of yours?"