just2good

Minifigures Character Encyclopedia 2013

Sorry, this post is now irrelevant, being merged from a redundant topic. Carry on.

Edited by 8BrickMario

I got the book yesterday after a delayed shipment from Amazon. It's a pretty fun book, and the Toy Soldier is probably one of my favorite CMFs. Shame he won't be able to be army built easily.

I know, right? I don't think that LEGO could have made a better minifigure to exemplify the spirit of the CMFs (Look at that smile!), but lots of people will want multiples and use Bricklink, eBay, or (shudder) steal them from the books at booksellers. I have seen some of the book, but was pressed for time. I plan to use my Barnes and Noble gift card on it, and when I saw it, I wasn't at a B&N. What I saw were the pages of some of my favorite CMFs, and the "Design Process of the Grandpa" spread. I liked seeing the clay model of Medusa. I also recognized one of my favorite LEGO employees, the Lady Behind The New Molds, Senior Model Designer Gitte, from a design process video about the Hobbit theme. I can't wait to get the book and Toy Soldier! With him, Santa, and the upcoming Elf and Gingerbread Man, a Christmas CMF subtheme appears to be emerging...

Edited by 8BrickMario

Oops. I forgot all about that topic! Note to self: search for a discussion pertaining to the subject before creating a new one!

Oops. I forgot all about that topic! Note to self: search for a discussion pertaining to the subject before creating a new one!

Topic merged into existing discussion.

WhiteFang

Video review of the "toy soldier"

Also paused and seen that the s8 bat's boss is the monster fighter vampire. His likes are sand castles and songbirds???

As dislikes are darkness and gloom??? Haha.

Edited by vriverajr3

I got the book today. It is excellent despite the few childish parts, and the Toy Soldier is good, too. I had no idea he had eyebrows! His shako hat is the poorest part, though. The jewel printing is slightly misaligned, there are obvious mould marks, and the machine skipped a bit on printing at the back of the brim. Chinese plastic has excellent face, body, and leg printing, but more complex pieces, like Queen Amidala's dress and the shako come out worse.

Argh, I'm dumb. Picked up this book from bookdepository.co.uk, for a nice AU$16. Just tried to remove the figure though, not realising there was a bit of sticky tape keeping it together, and ended up ripping the whole plastic bit out of the book, resulting in a torn inside cover :sadnew:

That happened to me with the LEGO Batman book. I ripped a bit of the cover while trying to remove the tape cleanly. I took extra care with this book and it came out unharmed. :classic:

I got mine today! The tape is wrapped around both sides of the storage pocket, if that makes sense, so remove the tape from the top and pull down, then open the container.

Quick info for German fans: The German edition will be out in January, wonderfully translated and carefully edited. ;)

Quick info for German fans: The German edition will be out in January, wonderfully translated and carefully edited. ;)

Are you talking about January 2014?! That's some majorly careful editing... :wacko:

Yes. It's also translating, correcting, layouting, proof-reading and printing. We can't do magic :)

Sure you can! :tongue: