Walter

Legoland Florida Miniland Underwater Shipwreck

News scout Horry found this great photograph of the underwater shipwreck on display at Legoland Florida.

lego+shipwreck%252C+lego+sharks%252C+lego+divers%252C+lego+reef%252C+lego+ship%252C+legoland.jpg

If I remember correctly I believe this area is supposed to be in St. Augustine, Florida. There's a whole section dedicated to Florida landmarks and stuff.

[bloggedcp][/bloggedcp]

Hehe. Nice one :thumbup:

I've used to work on a similar ship like that, called "Odyssey Explorer".

Everyones hates them

- the crew - cause they sail around the same spot all the time and they pitch all the time, especially that they usually operate on the rough sea.

- passing ships - since they have to be carefull about sonars these ships haul :laugh:

This wreck seems to be in a very good condition for 400 years :wink:

Are these scubadivers ( and shark ) floating? or are they tied to the "ocean floor"?

Was wondering the the same thing. I used to "bath" my Legos all the time when I was small and nothing happened... well but I didn't expose them 24h a day :wink: Here it could do some damage I guess. But it's also possible that they'he used a different kind of plastic. Maybe it's not even Lego that we see in this scene? :look:

Was wondering the the same thing. I used to "bath" my Legos all the time when I was small and nothing happened... well but I didn't expose them 24h a day :wink: Here it could do some damage I guess. But it's also possible that they'he used a different kind of plastic. Maybe it's not even Lego that we see in this scene? :look:

Yeah I used to bring my Lego into the tub as well, but yes, not like this. I would think maybe the color would wear off? But even if it did, it would just add to the effect of the shipwreck.

I would think maybe the color would wear off?

Uhm no, the colour cannot "wear off". The ABS plastic is solid colour. If you sliced the bricks open the middle would still be red or blue or whatever the colour is on the surface if the brick. I read some where that LEGO is also safe for aquariums with fish as the plastic does not break down in water.

The main problem is sunlight. Exposure to UV rays causes the plastic to fade. Models in the parks are coated with a UV protective spray before going on display but even so they bricks must be replaced after a certain number of years.

Uhm no, the colour cannot "wear off". The ABS plastic is solid colour. If you sliced the bricks open the middle would still be red or blue or whatever the colour is on the surface if the brick. I read some where that LEGO is also safe for aquariums with fish as the plastic does not break down in water.

The main problem is sunlight. Exposure to UV rays causes the plastic to fade. Models in the parks are coated with a UV protective spray before going on display but even so they bricks must be replaced after a certain number of years.

Ok, thank you for clearing it up, my mistake.

simply amazing, love the coral design!

(...) The main problem is sunlight. Exposure to UV rays causes the plastic to fade. (...)

my ... heart... hurts! :cry_sad:

I didn't think about it!

bigger sacrifice for such this art

UV rays are worth it, especially if you've seen a Miniland display like this in person! :wink:

They use the same varnish as on cars, they coat all the models with it, so that they can handle all weather conditions.

In Denmark, they take all the models in, and re-coat them, becuase they are closed during the winter season............

But as far as i know. It dosent snow in florida......

but even so they bricks must be replaced after a certain number of years.

In THE Legoland park in Denmark. Its the same models. Same bricks, as it was 50 years ago.....

They use the same varnish as on cars, they coat all the models with it, so that they can handle all weather conditions.

In Denmark, they take all the models in, and re-coat them, becuase they are closed during the winter season............

But as far as i know. It dosent snow in florida......

In THE Legoland park in Denmark. Its the same models. Same bricks, as it was 50 years ago.....

That is something I didn't know. So its a bit of history.

I wonder who gave you that info, as Legoland employees in Denmark told our group during the EB event that the models were re-coated after five years and fully replaced after ten. Besides that it is the sunlight that does the most damage, not snow or rain.

I think you have some misinformation, sorry.

I wonder who gave you that info, as Legoland employees in Denmark told our group during the EB event that the models were re-coated after five years and fully replaced after ten. Besides that it is the sunlight that does the most damage, not snow or rain.

I think you have some misinformation, sorry.

Well some Legoland employees game my lug that info.

and yes i know the sunlight is also a devastateing foe.

But the thing i dont understand is. In DK they re-coat it every year.

So why where you told they only do it each fifth year???

Everything but what ii said about its been there for fifty years.

Legoland told us.

That last thing, someone in my lug told me.....dont know if its true. but still......

is there a way to find a better picture of the cannons?... for research purpose! jeje

I only recognize a sand green barrel! :laugh: