On a scale of 1 to 5  

128 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

• Outstanding
    • Above Average
    • Average
    • Below Average
    • Poor

Thanks for the review! Lovely pics. I like this set, but apart from the mushrooms, the wargs and the figs the part selection is a bit dull for the European price tag. However, the set itself looks nice. I'll certainly be getting this one!

Thanks for the review. I'm more interested in the parts, than in the set, and I'm happy to see more olive green and tree parts and those mushrooms. I see the set as a nice pack to extend my foliage building bag. :sweet: Although the minifigs are nicely detailed, I see no use of them in my MOCs (and I'm not fond of fleshies), perhaps some of the torsos in medieval scenes. The wargs are interesting, but again, I have no idea what to do with them. :sad:(Yeah, I'm not very imaginative.) However, the set is a bit overprices as it's a standard with a licenced sets, yet I still feel it's worth getting it and perhaps trading the 'unwanted' parts. Overall, it's nice to see a theme like this introducing new (coloured) bricks and interesting torso designs.

Thank you for review this nice set. It's full of reddish brown parts and I like so much the small leafe olive green but... I'll buy this set only for Wargs, finally I find an animal LEGO to use as direwolf in my Winterfell Layout :classic:

Thanks for all the pics - I'll probably grab a few of these, but (unlike everyone else in here) I just want the tree. Need some more foliage for my train layout, so I'll get a couple of these, sell the wargs and figs, and have big trees for cheap :)

Thanks for the great review Big Cam! The review helped me decide I am not that interested in the set itself (I was 50/50), but I really enjoyed reading it.

Could we get a image of the grey warg side view, mouth closed, head facing down?

I'll see if I can't get you this picture after work. I've got about 8 hours to go.

Good reviews!

I had one minor quibble with each of them, though. In both reviews you referred to particular parts (the spear in this and the daggers in the other) as "printed". These parts are not actually printed, but rather coinjected with plastic; that is to say, they use two separate colors and materials molded into the same part. This allows for the multicolored appearance of these parts in a way in which the secondary color will not come off or wear away, but more importantly it provides both parts with the characteristic rubbery tip that keeps you from stabbing yourself with them.

The more I look at this review, the more I like this set.

The tree is just gorgeous! How tall is it?

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

What a great review! Thanks a lot for this one. I am neither a fan of the LotR sets nor a fan of the money grabbing 3 part Hobbit movies but I have to admit that the tree is great, and would make a great addition to castle or forestmen themes. The wargs are really sweet as well but I would lie if I'd say I like those ugly orcs or strange looking dwarfs. I believe only Elves and Humans appeal to me. 60€ is still way too much for 400 pieces, the price for this is insane.

Another excellent review of an even better set 'Big Cam'.....cool rotating tree feature and those AWESOME figures plus Wargs ! :grin_wub:

I now wait to see the next review.......Review On 'Big Cam' ! :laugh:

Thank you for the very through review. The photos pretty much captured all the views.

I will definitely get at least one sets for the wargs. At this cost, and with only one gray warg, I do not think I would buy a second set at regular price. One it goes on sale, I would be interested in multiples.

I would love to see some sort of battle pack in the future with another gray warg.

I would love to see some sort of battle pack in the future with another gray warg.

I second that. A little bit of scenery (some bushes and rocks, approx. 50-70 pieces), one gray warg, two hunter orcs and one eagle - this would sell in bunches!

Love the Wargs. I like the minifigures too but I'm not really interested in them or anything else from the set apart from the Wargs.

Did anyone notice in picture "pieces bag 1", there are new! 3x3 plates in light bluish grey?! I've never seen them before.

greetings Hendrik

Did anyone notice in picture "pieces bag 1", there are new! 3x3 plates in light bluish grey?! I've never seen them before.

Well spotted, that's a new piece. Not the most exciting one to me, but different sizes of plates are definitely nice to have.

Good review, average set. The wargs are pretty cool though, but not essential to me.

Both very nice reviews. I voted "average", only thanks to the figs and the wargs. I see the tree mostly as a parts pack. I don't particularly care for all the play features packed into the set, and boy are there a lot of them (not that it's a bad thing).

Don't you think this warg very familiar?

The Lion King hyenas. :laugh:

Yep, it's been mentioned. Kind of logical as PJ's wargs are rather hyena-like, for better or (IMO) worse. And The Lion King seems to be the source of the modern pop-culture idea of hyenas.

Great review, meh set, fantastic figures and Wargs.

Also, did anyone else notice how these Wargs seem to resemble both kinds of Wargs well enough?

It seemed a bit more like the TTT one to me, there may be a chance for us to see brown or (preferably) dark tan ones in a TTT Warg Attack set.

Edited by General Magma

Great review, meh set, fantastic figures and Wargs.

Also, did anyone else notice how these Wargs seem to resemble both kinds of Wargs well enough?

Well yes, but that is because the hobbit movie wargs does resemble the lotr wargs aswell. Especally the side profile. I'm not a fan of the new wargs nose..

Hobbit warg

Nice work BC. I think this set will be my favorite. The wargs are cool and there are some great MOCing pieces in there.

Off topic: I still want to see a BC MOC!!

Back on topic. More Olive green please Lego.

Thank you for another great review! :sweet: This or Bag End is probably my favorite Hobbit set. Those Wargs are great, I just wish we got two grey ones instead of a grey and a white one. And I love Bifur's face printing. :laugh:

Superb review. Thank you Big Cam for reviewing this. It has been an interesting read to see all of the various main highlights like the menacing Wargs which is damn good design, in my opinion. Even though I don't have any idea on the scene that it will show in the upcoming Hobbit movie, but the set itself had made me looking forward to the movie release. The minifigures are outstanding and filled with tons of lovely details on the facial expressions, torsos and legs.

The tree itself, does remind me of the Classic Forestman in some way,

6071-1.jpg