WesternOutlaw

TRAIN TECH Help, General Questions & Talk to the Staff

If it's not too much to ask; why is it apparent?

There's been some conflicting information on this question. On the one hand, I believe we had someone who worked at one of the stores writing in the train forum that the current City trains were remaining in the line-up. On the other hand, the sets are approaching three years. This would be long for trains but perhaps Lego is thinking that there is no good reason to redesign the sets. The number of City train sets sold annually is probably fairly constant regardless of the trains being offered. Families typically don't return to buy each new iteration of train, and AFOLs probably provide only a modest bump in sales with each refresh. So maybe 7938 and 7939 will go for four or more years. Lego is releasing new Duplo train sets this year, putting those on a four year cycle.

The best evidence I've seen for new trains is the restricted supply, especially through Christmas (the precise time that you absolutely do not want to run low on trains) and the fact that Amazon U.S. is failing to restock their supply. This is usually how Amazon purchasing behaves when sets are on their way out. But all of that may just be unfortunate supply problems.

Rob

Noticed that too the other day. It's a strange set. Introduced while there was still another freight train in stores, rarely available in stores, and now it's phased out after only a year or so while the other freight train is still available.

I'd love to know what Lego's reasoning behind this set was...

Yeah. Although it's a nice set, I passed on this one because there's only so much room in a layout, and I could not justify purchasing a set so similar to the yellow train (esp. when the Maersk meant this would be a third freight train for me).

If it's not too much to ask; why is it apparent?

There's been some conflicting information on this question. On the one hand, I believe we had someone who worked at one of the stores writing in the train forum that the current City trains were remaining in the line-up. On the other hand, the sets are approaching three years. This would be long for trains but perhaps Lego is thinking that there is no good reason to redesign the sets. The number of City train sets sold annually is probably fairly constant regardless of the trains being offered. Families typically don't return to buy each new iteration of train, and AFOLs probably provide only a modest bump in sales with each refresh. So maybe 7938 and 7939 will go for four or more years. Lego is releasing new Duplo train sets this year, putting those on a four year cycle.

The best evidence I've seen for new trains is the restricted supply, especially through Christmas (the precise time that you absolutely do not want to run low on trains) and the fact that Amazon U.S. is failing to restock their supply. This is usually how Amazon purchasing behaves when sets are on their way out. But all of that may just be unfortunate supply problems.

Rob

City themes get refreshed every few years. Police and Fire every year or two, construction every three etc. In the past Trains have been replaced every four years or so. There are occasional hick-ups; for example there were delays surrounding the retirement of 9V, and the introduction of RC.

The last revamp of trains was 2010 (if we don't consider the somewhat odd release of the red cargo train).

There are many markets where after a couple of years retailers won't restock older designs, particularly of trains which have lower sales than other city sets. Australia is one, I rarely see trains at retail anymore, and if so it's old stock, generally a single set just getting dusty on the shelves.

Once the large US and European retailers start to run out their stock, either they can't get any more stock, or they're preparing space for new trains. In both cases it indicates they will probably be replaced eventually.

It's apparent from the preceding that the old trains are on their last legs. I can't imagine that trains sales have been really bad, all the indications appear to me to suggest they are pretty good (exclusive trains on a two year cycle, the unexpected release of the red cargo train). It then follows that there will be a replacement for the old trains, the big uncertainty is when.

My guess is we'll either see new trains for Christmas 2013 or 2014. I'm not sure what rumours are like for second half 2013, but I guess we would have heard by now from past experience, so 2014 seems more likely.

Ok, thanks for the replies guys.

We've been into Lego for a little over a year now, my son's just about three so I'm eager to get a train but I wasn't really happy with what was on offer. All three of the recent sets with PF looked very European to me and while I love the trains there, I just want something a little more American-looking (and diesel) for our layout so I've held off getting anything yet.

I did score Maersk but it's not something you want to let a young child loose with, right?

Joe

Edited by bjtpro

All three of the recent sets with PF looked very European to me and while I love the trains there, I just want something a little more American-looking (and diesel) for our layout so I've held off getting anything yet.

It will be quite interesting to see what we get. In the last few years LEGO sales in the US have doubled every year, which means the US finally overtook Germany as the biggest market.

For the first time that means US prototypes might make more financial sense than European.

It could still mean Germans buy more trains (they are train mad) but it's hard to tell without more info. Anything we get will have been in planning for a couple of years so not based on recent sales just to add to the uncertainty.

While I still collect most official LEGO trains, I build my own to scratch the particular itch I have for 60's and 70's West German stuff. Perhaps that's a way to get your US diesel passenger train.

If you based it on the Santa Fe set with a different company paint job, it could be quite reasonable in price (by avoiding rare parts and colours) and something unique.

We've been into Lego for a little over a year now, my son's just about three so I'm eager to get a train but I wasn't really happy with what was on offer. All three of the recent sets with PF looked very European to me and while I love the trains there, I just want something a little more American-looking (and diesel) for our layout so I've held off getting anything yet.

I did score Maersk but it's not something you want to let a young child loose with, right?

Joe

I would agree with peterab, probably the best way to start into trains would be to build a few repaints, Super Chief and BNSF. That's where I started. You'll probably want to do some small substitution both to bring in new parts that have been introduced since then, to avoid unnecessarily expensive parts that have become rare, and to bypass (or introduce) brick built paint schemes as you change liveries.

As for the Maersk, I let my 2 yr old play with it. It all depends on how gentle your son is and whether you want to keep the set in pristine condition. After having more delicate locomotives take nose dives off of tables at train shows, I am now quite confident in the durability of lego trains. The only real risk is losing a part and even then it is replaceable. You could always do a Maersk repaint. A little dark blue and you'd be rolling a one of a kind MP loco of your own (assuming your avitar conveys your interests).

Then again, if you don't have any infrastructure (track, wheels, couplers), starting with one of the current PF train sets isn't bad either. Just figure you'll be rebuilding the equipment over the coming years. My older son has great fun tearing apart and rebuilding the cars from the yellow freight train (one of his first MOCs was building his own push along yard switcher on the flat car). And though he loves N. American trains, the yellow Euro-style locomotive is one of the few lego sets that has stayed intact in his room.

Ok thanks peterab and zephyr1034, I just noticed your replies. This new forum software is different from the old one, I no longer get reply notifications for topics I've merely posted in. Maybe I've got to change a setting in preferences, I dunno.

My primary motivation in getting a set with PF was the PF components. I'm thinking it might be a little cheaper to get them in a set (is that true, anyone know?) and since I'd like to have a set anyway, it would kill two birds w/ one stone.

The problem with Maersk is the STAMP and the railings. I won't apply the STAMP and, like you say, those railings are common parts. I still need to get PF for it but I guess it's not a priority. I'm trying to watch my pennies as we'll be going back to the US - and looking for jobs - here shortly after having lived in China for awhile.

I've bought a bunch of Enlighten stuff here including the greenish diesel engine. It seems a bit of a waste to put expensive PF into something that only cost US$ 3 but it could be the best short-term solution until something better comes along and/or I get some parts to build my own things with. Thanks for your encouragement in that regard.

That new Lone Ranger train set is looking promising and I've recently learned that kids like push trains so maybe I'll just get that. I'm not real crazy about licensed stuff, mainly because I don't think kids have any business watching a lot of the movies that the sets are made from. If he insists on watching the Lone Ranger I could always get some of the old B&W ones that I used to enjoy if the new movie is too violent or fast-paced. The B&W ones weren't too violent if memory serves.

Thanks again, Joe

Hey! Is the offset on the XL BBB drivers have the pin 1-1/2 away or just 1 away?

I feel so dumb for not knowing and I cant tell from the picture :wacko:

Its one away. Very good quality as well if I may add.

I have a question, anyone know a good supplier of red o-rings for BBB XL wheels? Think I've found some in black (from ebay/Hong Kong - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/360541603907?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649) but wheels are red and ideally want them to be only 1.5mm thick rather than 2mm.

Well the XL wheels Ive found that O scale traction tires fit them well. Better than any o ring for sure. And you could paint the tire red as well. I believe o scale tires slightly smaller than BBB will work fine.

Well the XL wheels Ive found that O scale traction tires fit them well. Better than any o ring for sure. And you could paint the tire red as well. I believe o scale tires slightly smaller than BBB will work fine.

Thanks, would that be the 31mmx3.5mm ones? Do you have to adjust much for the change in height compared to o-rings? I was going to follow Toastie's guide for fitting o-rings (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48948&hl=br23) which if I follow correctly the height adjustment required should be minimal.

With an O scale tire there is no need for any groves. The tire fits well without anything. And it doesnt really affect the height all that much if you let the pilot and/or trailing truck have some play. Should work fine. I can get you the size of the tire if you are willing to wait a few hours. I found it to fit the XL wheels great.

From memory On the BBB medium wheels the holes are orientated to be 1.45 away - there was a post years ago. The idea is that it matches where where the 'stud' would be on the corner of a 2x2 plate assuming the axle is at the centre. It matches the offset of the technic pulleys. From memory this is so it matches really old wheel designs; but I might be wrong.

Pardon me asking, but what does the Med. Wheels have to do with XL wheels? Best not start confusing those who are questioning BBB. And in pretty sure all BBB wheels have the same hole offset. May be wrong as I have not purchased any med. Wheels but going by pictures Im pretty sure.

http://www.eurobrick...l=&fromsearch=1

Infortmation about bbb medium wheels.

Thats sure odd. But still it doesnt have anything to do with XL wheels. But hey, Good to know!

I checked the XL wheels and they are one stud apart. So yeah.

Yes please!

The diameter is just about 3 cm. Im not sure about circumference right now. Im not in the mood to do actual math. :laugh:

And the thickness is insignificant. The flanges on BBB wheels are big enough to ignore any tire that is thin enough. Its about 1 mm thick if youre wondering.

Edited by Spitfire2865

Hey can some one help me find a topic here in the fourms. Its was Ldraw 0-2-4 Steam Locomotive Kyphur made but I can't find the topic...

My 10 year old son (who is about to turn 11) wants the Horizon Express for his first train, as he loves high-speed trains such as the French TGV, German ICE, and so on.. What is the cheapst I could get it for? He wants to pay, if not the whole price, atleast part of it for himself (seeing as he's got 25 euros out of recycling empty bottles with his two brother's help).

BrickLink, Amazon and Ebay have the highest prices.

The cheapest online store (including shipping fees at least here in Italy) is the official LEGO Shop: http://shop.lego.com

Welcome to Eurobricks, Joonas08Joonas. Feel free to introduce yourself either in the general introductions forum or in the Train forum introduction thread. Eurobricks is more of a community than simply a place to find LEGO deals. That's one reason why members can't open topics in the Buy/Sales/Trades/Finds forum until they reach 100 posts, and why we don't encourage people to sign up only to ask about deals.

Anyway, do stick around and join in the conversations, but I will move your request to a general question thread.