I have been collecting LEGO trains for years and have the good fortune of having a large empty room in my house to use for my track designs and play area for my nephews and cousins when they come to visit. They love trains almost as much as I do. I have about 15 engines (9v and PF) and 40+ pieces of rolling stock. I enjoy viewing all of the creativity that members of this forum show and share and look forward to more of it in the future.

I have been collecting LEGO trains for years and have the good fortune of having a large empty room in my house to use for my track designs and play area for my nephews and cousins when they come to visit. They love trains almost as much as I do. I have about 15 engines (9v and PF) and 40+ pieces of rolling stock. I enjoy viewing all of the creativity that members of this forum show and share and look forward to more of it in the future.

Ooooo that's the holy grail of all Lego train folk, - a large empty room that nobody wants to claim for a more mundane purpose :classic:

Don't forget that we like to see pictures once you've got everything set up. Oh and welcome to the forum too :laugh:

Hello,

I've been reading posts on this forum for some weeks... now is time for me to post, and introduce myself shortly.

I'm living in Lyon, France. As many here I guess, I came back from my dark ages thanks to my son. Digging in the attic for him, I re-discovered the Lego sets I had when I was a kid, and felt in love again with these little bricks. My interest spreads between Space (classic space), Technic, and Trains. I still have 7710 from my youth, together with some tracks and 4.5V motors. From this area, I also have pieces of 7740 and 7725 (almost everything but the motor, train wheels, bogies and couplers) but it is just very recently that I realized what those red and yellow pieces where exactly for (thanks to Peeron and Bricklink). My plan is now to complete this 7740 using PF and modern wheels/couplers, and use it on modern (unpowered) tracks.

As my son is too young for real Lego ones, I'll probably post also about Duplo trains. We have a lot of Duplo tracks, and I discovered it is possible to run (some of) the newer Lego trains on them, which is quite exciting (and offers a cheap transition from Duplo to Lego trains, regarding tracks).

Hoping to show you some interesting stuff soon,

Welcome aboard Ambroise,

When I had my first son I was more struck with the quandary of how do I explain to my child that these are daddy's legos (grin). Please do post photos of modern lego trains on duplo track at some point. I like the idea already.

Hello I'm a Lego and railway fan from my childhood.

I'm from Madrid, Spain.

Now interested in my city subway and I'm making a few models with Lego Designer based in the classic models of Metro de Madrid.

I'm searching the best way for make it real and need buy all pieces in dark red at an affordable price.

After the classic models (and the most genuines) I will make more modern material. I'm buying all train sets and others, only to be familiar with the train system, have bricks and pieces to make my mods.

Also interested in the special railway machinery, to make my mods.

Edited by James_T_Menendez

Hello J.T.M.,

aren't the dark colors fantastic? (the classic lego fan in me is still skeptical of anything that is not YRBWB in color and is not cubic in shape, but the trains have pushed me past that hangup). As for finding dark red, bricklink is hard to beat. Also, be flexible in what you are looking for, e.g., 1x6 might be expensive while 1x8 are strangely inexpensive.

Thanks for the advise!!!, I search this color for the acuracy of the classic models of Metro de Madrid.

The modern material are much more easy to make with standard color range.

I will post more MoCs of the same theme soon.

Hello all,

I've been a bit of a shadowy guest reader of the forum for a couple weeks now... my passion for Lego got a kick in the pants at the recent-ish Auckland Lego Train Show.

Currently I own a 7722 4.5v Freight Train that's going to be retro fitted with a Power Function unit and soon I'll have the 7939 Cargo Train set.

A previous Lego collection was "classic" Star War set; and by classic I was only collecting set from episodes IV, V, VI. But gave up and sold my collection off when Lego started re-leasing newer sets of existing models.

Previous model train background includes a OO gauge set from when I was a kid (still have the loco to this day!), then a N gauge layout (vauge North-West US cargo/frieght theme) and most recently a Z gauge layout in progress. But after 3-4 years of constant moving track around on a base board to find a layout I like and what felt like a constant monthly donation to Woddland scenics and Marklin. This is when I re-discovered Lego trains, make a layout, get bored with it pull it to bits, add some more track/buildings, rebuild, more fun... brilliant!

Stu

Welcome to EB and the traintech forum, Stu... wow, z-scale? I came to LEGO trains from n-scale, which was bad enough. How'd you go from OO to z?

Welcome to both EB and the world of LEGO trains, Stu808. I've had some HO trains and have been seriously eyeing some N-gauge stuff as of late, but LEGO trains are just too much fun to divert any money away. Trains are dangerous things, for a wallet. :laugh:

Welcome to both EB and the world of LEGO trains, Stu808. I've had some HO trains and have been seriously eyeing some N-gauge stuff as of late, but LEGO trains are just too much fun to divert any money away. Trains are dangerous things, for a wallet. :laugh:

Ufff, I doubt when I want purchase the Esmerald Night, The Maersk train, the switch...., but not compared ofcourse

Thanks for the welcome.

Welcome to EB and the traintech forum, Stu... wow, z-scale? I came to LEGO trains from n-scale, which was bad enough. How'd you go from OO to z?

My parents bought me the OO set. I like the smaller scales simply because you get my more 'layout' for a desired area. Also there was something cute about the little trains, if you thought Z was bad... I was considering T gauge earlier this year. The old guy who runs a dedicated train shop here in Auckland basically put it this this way- "You need a different knid of mentality for each gauge, and boy you've got Z nailed down".

A bonus with N gauge is the cost (cheap as chips I found) and availability, especially in the US. Another intresting gauge to consider if you don't mind hunting down your bits and pieces is TT Gauge; think of it has half way between HO and N.

Stu

Hello All,

I've been lurking for a while, but finally decided to post:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=84798

I figure I would introduce myself as well. I was into Lego trains when I was a kid, starting with the Load 'n Haul 9V set. I collected most of the trains back then up until my dark ages... which unfortunately include the $225 per car Santa Fe! Fortunately, I got back in right as the Emerald Night was just discontinued and affordable and the Maersk was still out. I've picked these up as well as just getting the Lone Ranger Constitution. I've also gotten into the modular series recently. I'm going to be heading into some full MOCs here soon, so figured I would introduce myself to the party (before asking for help!)!

Thanks,

Jeremy

New 'kids' on the block, well train station anyway.

Finally, after all these years we have decided to add trains to our Lego building and collection, Metroliners to be exact.

Actually I am converting them from 9 volt to the newer RC/IR control.

(even a Metroliner based monorail)

Sure wish I would have done this when they were sitting on the shelves.

post-85890-0-88815200-1379105227_thumb.jpg

@TexMexSu: welcome here, why don't you introduce yourself first in some other topic in Train Tech or in the general forum (http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showforum=17). B.t.w. we would also appreciate it if you try to be a little less vague in expressing yourself: "New 'kids' on the block, well train station anyway." is not really English isn't it?! ;)

Hope to see much more of you here of course!

@TexMexSu: welcome here, why don't you introduce yourself first in some other topic in Train Tech or in the general forum (http://www.eurobrick...hp?showforum=17). B.t.w. we would also appreciate it if you try to be a little less vague in expressing yourself: "New 'kids' on the block, well train station anyway." is not really English isn't it?! ;)

Hope to see much more of you here of course!

Well, actually it is (correct if I'm wrong I'm not a native speaker) but it is a saying and means that he's new, followed by a joke about the train station.

New 'kids' on the block, well train station anyway.

Finally, after all these years we have decided to add trains to our Lego building and collection, Metroliners to be exact.

Actually I am converting them from 9 volt to the newer RC/IR control.

(even a Metroliner based monorail)

Sure wish I would have done this when they were sitting on the shelves.

Welcome, Those monorails look really good.

For photo's I would recommend Brickshelf and or flickr

@UrbanErwin, ah, you are right: he meant that indeed. But some different interpunction and a few more words would have helped of course :)

Hi, my name is (as you can see) John and I am retired and living in New Zealand.

We started collecting LEGO about 40 years ago and I have never tried to count just what we have but there are quite a number of 4.5V, 9V and 12V trains and accessories. Trains are my main interest in LEGO and I look forward to looking at what others have done with their LEGO trains.

Hello. I am a new member from Spain. I got my first Lego train (170) in 1973. I have had several Dark Ages and Grey Ages (only buying). Finally this year I could establish a Lego room, and next will be a layout (9v) in the attic. My main line is probably castle.

I do not do train MOCs yet , but I want to.

Playing with the bit maps I put together some images of my rolling stock (no 12v, difficult to get in Spain).

y71b.gif

c37q.gif

c8d.gif

wki.gif

See you. I have a lot to read!

Edited by midelburgo

Greetings from Los Angeles!

My name is Pierce and I am a big fan of your community.

I am constantly amazed by the builds I see in the Train Tech forum. There are some very talented and smart contributors on here.

When I got my first paycheck from my first post-college job, I used a portion of the check to buy from ebay a set I always wanted as a child: the 4558 Metroliner.

I started to buy a lot of trains and quite a bit of 9V track, too.

2 Maersk Train 10219 - I also bought an extra wagon and built a full set of extra containers (with stickers).

2 Emerald Night Train 10194 - Three carriages total and I'm building a fourth mail cart currently

2 Horizon Express 10233

1 Metroliner 4558 - I have three passenger carriages total. My next train purchase will be a club car

2 Cargo Railway 4559 - This was the first and only train I owned in my childhood. I bought one on ebay and picked up my old one from home.

1 White Passenger Train 7897 - Found it for pretty cheap on ebay.

2 Red Passenger Train 7938 - I converted the two engines into passenger cars for a total of 4 passenger cars with 2 engines

1 Western Train Chase 7597 - Not sure if anyone counts this as a real train. I haven't converted it or anything yet; picked up it up clearance for 65% off a couple years back. Couldn't pass that up.

I plan on picking up the Lone Ranger train and making that the first train I mod heavily. It's a nice play set, and doesn't look too far off from being a solid train model.

Sadly, I don't have any train MOCs. My talents in life have not lent me an eye for the engineering of trains. The only MOCs I've created have been in LDD and have been modular buildings.

However, trains are still my first love and the first topic I check on every day.

Even though I lack much original train content to contribute, I look forward to joining in the conversations.

Welcome aboard Thiot!

Sounds like you are working on a great collection. You don't have to build mocs to contribute here, you just have to be interested in lego trains. Though if you are interested in wandering into your own train MOC's, you could start by making minor tweak improvements to your sets, or repainting your favorite set in to a livery more to your liking (living in LA, you know that the maersk would look better in UP or BNSF, grin... though UP would be a lot cheaper), or building from fan made instructions (LGauge, railbricks, etc.)

Thanks zephyr, I look forward to building some in the coming years. I also look forward to contributing and not just lurking :wink:

Hi,

Not really a train tech person. Mostly hang out in the Technic forum but, i was at a 40% sale on all Lego and there i found a 7939 and suddenly i had a train :P It's my first train but probably not my last :)

Skriblez