Hi there! I've been a member of EB for a while, but I just noticed there was this dedicated "hello" topic for this one forum, and since I am still largely new to this forum I thought I'd post here...

I always liked trains as a little kid, even if I never developed quite the full-blown passion for them I know others here have. At various times in my childhood, back in the '70s, I had HO-scale electric trains - nothing fancy, but even simple ovals of track were lots of fun for me then. I also loved LEGO ever since I discovered it, and though I would enter the "dark ages" familiar to many of us I did play with LEGO extensively for a number of years in the '70s and '80s. Back in the day, I had at least one of the older LEGO trains, from the "blue rails" era - pretty simple, of course, but it was still lots of fun all the same.

As noted, I did eventually have my own dark ages, and only came out in the early 2000s, thanks to Star Wars, another lifelong passion. Though I started getting LEGO again with Star Wars, I soon branched out into all sorts of other themes, and today I'm pretty much crazy about most LEGO in general, albeit some themes even more than others. Naturally I quickly fell in love with LEGO's trains along with everything else, but of course LEGO trains are perhaps uniquely demanding of money and space even above and beyond LEGO in general, and since I've been impoverished and living in a tiny apartment for most of the past several years, I just never managed to get into trains; I couldn't even keep up with the other themes to begin with.

Even so, I always was interested, and looked forward to a future in which I'd be able to one day have a bit more money, space and time to devote to LEGO, and trains have always been a big part of that future dream. I was a bit dismayed to realize I'd missed out completely on electric tracks :cry_sad: , even though I came out of my dark ages when 9v trains were still around, but the RC/PF era appears to offer its own advantages and appeal, and I'm determined to enjoy it as fully as I'm able.

Though I'm no train expert, all sorts of trains in all sorts of geographic and historical milieus appeal to me - European, American, rural, city, passenger, freight, Old West, contemporary, futuristic, steam, diesel - they're all lovely in all their own ways, and I'd like eventually to try my hand in layouts in each of these (along with all the landscapes, buildings, etc. to accompany them).

I do have one particular area of interest with regard to LEGO rail, though. As noted earlier I'm big Star Wars fan, but it's actually more accurate to say I'm a lifelong fan of Lucasfilm in general, and in particular I'm a huge fan of Indiana Jones. I was therefore delighted when TLG picked up the Indy license and launched the theme, and saddened when it was put on hiatus with so many wonderful scenes and characters and vehicles still unexplored and unrepresented in official sets - not that I intend to let them go unrepresented in my own personal LEGO Indy universe, of course! While I really would like to do MOC treatments of pretty much the character's entire biography and adventures, I've actually particularly wanted to do all the rail vehicles seen in the series (not just the four movies, but the entire Young Indiana Jones TV series as well, including numerous trains, as well as the odd mine car or rocket sled ;) ). Hopefully I'll get around to this pet project sometime...

In the meantime, though, I'm pretty limited in what I have, but I've made sure to get certain desirable train-related sets in recent years, and hope to get a lot more (to say nothing, of course, of parts and other sets to combine with trains in my own creations). Aside from the basic bricks, minifigures, etc. from any number of sets that can always be incorporated into any sort of LEGO creation, here are most of the more train-specific / train-related sets I have so far (lots of licensed stuff, mostly from being fans of most of those franchises, but also just wanting some of the parts for use in trains and other things):

10194 Emerald Night x2

7597 Toy Story Western Train Chase x3

4855 Spider-Man's Train Rescue x1

4841 Harry Potter Hogwarts Express x1

7599 Indiana Jones The Temple of Doom x4

7936 Level Crossing x1

7065 Alien Mothership x2

Obviously, the Alien Conquest set isn't exactly train-specific, but it arguably does qualify as the closest thing to a narrow-guage track expansion pack :wink: , so I figured I'd go ahead and mention it (I may pick up a third copy, in fact, since they've been clearanced). I feel very fortunate to have been able to get not one but two Emerald Nights; I had been forced to keep putting them off for a couple years, until finally they swiftly sold out after being discounted for last year's Black Friday specials, and they instantly began increasing in price on the secondary market. As soon as I found myself with some money, a good couple weeks after they sold out nearly everywhere, I began systematically calling all the US LEGO Stores until I found one that not only still had some left but had them still discounted, and ordered two for almost exactly what I'd probably have paid on eBay for just one.

Currently I have my eye on all the LEGO City trains, both passenger and freight, and also really love the Maersk train; I hope to be able to get it (or better yet, two or three copies) before it's gone. I don't know how long it'll be before I try to do a substantial layout of my own creation, but hopefully not too long. In the meantime, while I haven't posted in the Trains forum often if at all, I've very much enjoyed browsing and lurking here from time to time, and definitely plan to eventually become more of a contributor.

:classic:

Hi there!

Hi Blondie-Wan. It's always nice to learn more about our LEGO Train fans - very descriptive post. I could not agree with you more about the Indy theme as well. LEGO could have done so much more with a great theme. In any case, glad you took a little time to share an intro. Welcome again and I hope you continue to enjoy LEGO Trains. :thumbup:

Hiya,

I am already registered here for a while but I guess I'm more of a lurker than an active poster :tongue: I'm 26 years old, orginally from the Netherlands but due the nature of my job as chief officer on merchant ships, I spend more time abroad then in my home country. I grew up with Lego and the 9V trains in the 90s. My first train was a 4564 a_4564.gif and a 4558 4558.gif. After that, my dark age kicked in untill I purchased a 10133 10133.gif hauling a 10170 10170.GIF. Ofcourse the 10120 hauling 2x 10025 a_10025-gep.gifa_10025-pos.gif10020.gif had to be added to my growing collection too!

Later on I added the 10194 10194b.gif10194a.gif, the 10129 10219c.gif10219b.gif10219a.gif

Last month I was able to fulfill a wish that I had has a child by purchasing a 10001 a_4547_1.gif.

Soon I hope to make a train of my own using PaB and Bricklink :wink:

I like to see there are other young people with lego,Im 23. Thanks for sharing your story! great collection

Name: Tim

Currently: working in Shanghai for the last 6mth, and 7 years in Tokyo.

New to the forum, loved and still love the lego trains, had a few given to me as gifts when I was young.

Just recently I purchased the Maersk train for sh**s n giggles and my addiction is about start growing (yikes). after finding EB and railbricks magazine, i cannot believe how far lego trains have come since the 80-90's. I see a lot of MOC? that look amazing, and even the standard sets such as Sante Fe, Maersk, emerald etc.

Although I have no idea when I'll be back in Melbourne for good, I have decided to buy a few peices of lego every now and then for when I do finally get back to Melbourne: Wishlist

7823 Container Loading Crane (tuffest crane set ever and can be customized to span from trac -> road - > harbour.

9v tracks

parts for a MOC bridge (there is a twin yellow bridge made from technic parts floating around on the internet, something along the lines of that but much smaller scale and in gray)

My collection includes:

Trains:

7715 Push-along train

7722 Battery Train Set

4551 Crocodile Engine

4558 Metroliner

Cars:

4536 blue hopper car

4537 twin tank transport

4543 tractor flatbed (would love to get another 2/3 of these

4544 Car transport wagon

4547 railroad club for the metroliner

4549 Road 'N Rail Hauler

4552 Cargo Crane

4554 Metro Station

4555 Freight Loading Station

4539 level crossing x2

Look forward to participating in the train forums with you train nuts!

Name: Tim

Although I have no idea when I'll be back in Melbourne for good, I have decided to buy a few peices of lego every now and then for when I do finally get back to Melbourne:

When you do get back to Melbourne, come along to Mugs (the Melbourne Lego Users Group) and you'll meet most of the M>LTC (Melbourne Lego Train Club) too :-)

When you do get back to Melbourne, come along to Mugs (the Melbourne Lego Users Group) and you'll meet most of the M>LTC (Melbourne Lego Train Club) too :-)

Do you guys have a email registry or someway to keep track?.

I have no plans on returning just yet as it always comes down to work these days (life was so much simpler as a kid). But would love to stay up to date with both groups you mentioned on events in the chance that I'm in melbourne during the time of an event.

I've sent a blank email to

mugs-list-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.au

but no go. :/

Edited by funkdis

Do you guys have a email registry or someway to keep track?.

I have no plans on returning just yet as it always comes down to work these days (life was so much simpler as a kid). But would love to stay up to date with both groups you mentioned on events in the chance that I'm in melbourne during the time of an event.

I've sent a blank email to

mugs-list-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.au

but no go. :/

I would PM you but since your new you won't be able to read it so I'll reply here.

Go to the yahoo groups site, and join the two groups there;

http://au.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/mugs-list/

http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/mltc-list/

I would PM you but since your new you won't be able to read it so I'll reply here.

Go to the yahoo groups site, and join the two groups there;

http://au.dir.groups.yahoo.com/group/mugs-list/

http://au.groups.yahoo.com/group/mltc-list/

Thanks mate, all done. quiet day in the office today and stupid me jumped onto bricklink and purchased 50 straight 9v and 20 curved 9v tracks. :(... what have I done!

Edited by funkdis

Welcome to Train Tech and to EB Funkdis. Looks like you've got a nice collection of trains. Hope you enjoy the forum. :thumbup:

Hey TheBrickster...Is there a wild west forum? I made just created this and noticed you are a wild west fan.

7512536184_5af28d8101_c.jpg7512536948_c926ddbc80_c.jpg

Edited by LovinLegoSince97

Hello all. Thought i'd better introduce myself and start getting five posts. I've got a couple of MODs and MOCs i want to share but can't get the images and links to work until I've got 5 posts :sceptic:

Anyway, I'm Tom and live in Scotland, Glasgow to be precise. I've been a fan of Lego all my life, and got my first Lego trains back in 1991. Good old Load n Haul, Crocodile Locomotive and Metroliner :wub: Also got the Club car for the Metroliner and a couple of wagons, but never got any other big sets as they just didn't appeal.

Recently got back into trains with the new Power Functions ones. Got a 3667 cargo train :wub: and two of 7938 to make a 5 car. Also bought the engine from 7898 :wub: I think they're all great trains, and I do like the power functions and RC (although I understand these views may be frowned on in these forums). Also bough the Maersk train which i think is just amazing. Such a large and complex set, took me two hours to build the loco. :laugh: Hoping to get a few more trains soon and build (and share) some MOCs.

Hello all.

Welcome to Train Tech Legotom. Sounds like you've got some nice "oldies but goodies" in your train collection. Hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi everyone! My name is Caleb, I've been a LEGO and train fan my whole life so it's only natural that LEGO trains were my big thing growing up haha. Some of you might recognize me from Flickr on the Train MOC group. My Flickr

I didn't get a whole lot of LEGO trains growing up mostly because of the prices but I always wanted something from the catalog pertaining to trains. In 1998 my parents bought me LEGO Loco (which still runs on my computer)and that really got me more into LEGO trains.

My first set was 4533 Train Track Snow Remover and boy I loved it even if there was no track included. My first starter set was 4561 Railway Express. When I was young I didn't care about whether it was not realistic because it was mostly about play-ability.

For those who don't know me or some of my MOCs here are a few of my favorites.

5129607010_efee8a190e_n.jpg

5459706256_79733b1269_n.jpg

4422664185_428524b572.jpg

6345731676_29809674a0_n.jpg

Hi everyone!

Welcome Caleb - you're steam engines are amazing. I'm glad you took some time to join EB. We're very glad to have you join us. I hope you enjoy the forum and look forward to seeing your future builds. :classic:

Hi Everyone! I'm complete newbie. Had some model trains when I was child, but never had LEGO trains. About a month ago I started with LEGO Technic and tonight I decided to join also the train club. I've chosen the 9V system, so I will get some 45xx sets (full/partial). My interest is in programming things (Technic NXT robots...) so the goal is to use DCC for control. Any help in this subject is welcomed!

For the longest time, I was curious about how the huge steam trains - UP Challengers and ATSF 3000 Class anyone? - worked, because it seemed like magic to me that simple water could make 900 tons of steel move at 85 mph. Even though I myself had never purchased a model train, LEGO or not, one time I went to my friend's house and he had that big green steam train (i think it was Emerald Night) running around. I was immediately jealous and went to the drawing board. I downloaded a copy of LDD, and after several failed attempts, made a pretty decent locomotive. I've yet to figure out Mallet and Meyer-type articulations in my designs, though.

However, our old computer's hard drive which had my locos on it finally kicked the bucket, and I was devastated. Even then, my love for those massive trains thundering down the tracks had never ceased. That's why I'm here, now. The appreciation and construction of those trains in my favorite building material is something that seems so technical yet so fun. It's unparalleled.

The appreciation and construction of those trains in my favorite building material is something that seems so technical yet so fun.

Welcome Icosahedron. Hope you enjoy our Train Tech forum.

Welcome to Train Tech for all of the recent members.

You'll find an amazing wealth of knowledge here...

Time to introduce me, i'll suppose...

I'm 34 years old and live in Sweden, near Gothenburg. I've been in to Lego train since i got the 7710 when I turned 7 years. Then I got the sleeperwagon and postwagon for the 7740, but never the real train :-( After the usual "dark age" (but I always followed the company and the new catalogs, and thankfully never sold any of my Lego!) I started to work and earned some money. Time to get the trains I dreamed of! 7740, 7745, 7735 and so on! And then I went on to 9V and bought some of the great trains of that time.

Now that I've have a house, the sauna has become my Lego-room, and I'll try to get som time to do some MOCs between work, house and family.

Ingemar

Hi, I'm from Illinois in the USA. I played with LEGOs when I was a kid back in the late 80s and early 90s. I didn't really get back into LEGOs until last year. The Northern Illinois LEGO Train Club has an annual LEGO train show at Cantigny Park around Christmas near where I live. I've been to the show the last two years and finally had to get into trains myself. I have two small boys who both love trains so we've combined trains and LEGOs.

I've spent way too much money over the past 10 months acquiring LEGO trains and 9V track and motors. We've got all of the recent trains (7938, 7939, and 3677), the Hobby Train (I've got the stock crocodile engine built), Emerald Night with four coaches, Maersk, and a custom train based on the Emerald Night.

I've been reading the posts for a few months now but wanted to post pictures of my modified Emerald Night so I figured I'd introduce myself. I'll be posting those pictures in the main train forum as soon as I take them (the pictures of the engine that is).

Dariusz

Hi, I'm from Illinois in the USA.

Hi Dariusz. Welcome to EB. It sounds like you've got a pretty nice collection of LEGO Trains. I hope you enjoy the forum.