Hi there, I'm John. Like a lot of others, I have lurked here for quite a while and have never posted. I was invited to post here because of some pictures I posted on another site. That was the kick that I need to finally do it.

I started with LEGO in the mid 70's and I have always been interested in trains (my dad had an HO layout). I exited my dark ages in 1999 thanks to the Star Wars sets but didn't build any MOC's until I joined a LEGO train club in 2003 (COLTC). That really got me back into LEGO and trains and I bought quite a bit of 9V stuff and went crazy building for a few years. I haven't been involved with the club since 2006 due to time and family commitments and my building even stopped for a couple of years.

My building has picked back up in the last few years, mostly due to moving to a new house that has enough room for my LEGO! I have started on a few train layouts but never got any of them completed before I had to tear them down for one reason or another. Right now I am concentrating on building trains and train related MOC's instead of a larger more involved layouts.

Most recently, I just started building a steam engine that I began in MLCAD several years ago. It is quite ambitious so I hope that I can pull it off the way that I want. I have set the bar very high for myself!!

I have so many projects on my list that I want to do/build. It is just a matter of time and money....and space. I have built a LOT of MOC's using MLCAD and I want to turn them into brick!!!

I just recently finally built my first steam engine for my Christmas layout I displayed under my tree. I will post the pics as soon as I can...

Later,

John

Hi John. Welcome to our LEGO Train community. Interesting transition from SW to Trains. Few probably know it, but I like the classic SW sets. I also enjoyed HO-scale trains as a kid (never had any of the Lionel stuff though (O-scale)). I look forward to seeing your Christmas train/layout. Enjoy the forum. :thumbup:

Thank you.

I'am looking for those little pictures of trains, wich are used als a sort of signature underneath some posts. Where do theu come from and how are they made, so I can use them?

greetings

legodjw

Welcome to Eurobricks Traintech. I hope you feel at home.

We would love to see some of the stuff you are building.

Hello everybody out there in the train tech forum.

My real name is Maurice and I live in the Netherlands. I have been reading and sharing my thought with people on Eurobricks in general for a while now.

Some of you tried to help me find my mystery train I remember owning back in the day.

I have always loved Lego and all of it's themes but trains were always one of my favorites.(castle being the other odd enough). I own 4 trains, 2 12v trains (7725, 7740) and 2 old push trains (171 and my mystery train 162-1?).

When growing up at one point I lost my intrest in Lego-trains switching to n-scale trains. But never losing intrest in Lego. Still buying the odd set here and there but no trains.

These days I find myself being drawn back into Lego-trains. So much I'm thinking of expanding my train collection and building a Lego-city in my attic next to the n-scale track I still have.

Edited by dartmar

Hi Maurice. Welcome. I'm glad you introduced yourself and shared your train interest here in the registry. It sounds like you've got a nice little classic collection of trains. The old push trains certainly go way back. Your attic project sounds like a neat idea. Trains and towns certainly go hand-in-hand. You could always incorporate a few of your castles in building a classic castle-style town like the old Town sets from the Yellow Castle era. I too like the Castle-related themes as well. It's just so difficult to blend all these themes in a very limited space. If I had a huge room, a layout going through many themes would be awesome.

Enjoy the forum and feel free to share an image review of your push-trains. I wouldn't mind seeing them up-close.

Hello fellow eurobrick railroaders!

Let me introduce myself! My name is Andre, from Canada. I've been a long time lego fan, but only got into the 9v system in the very early 2000's. First set was the 4512 cargo railway. Since then my layout has undergone several.... expansions :) Even now a 24x4 ft layout is to small. Sorry for the crowding!

I'm into MOC'ing structures from around my city. The latest is based on a 105 year old steel humpback truss bridge set for demolition. My replica is currently underway with a completion date of march and overall length of approx 24ft. Photos later if interested.

I've been filmed on the news and published in the paper for some of my work.

Here are a few photos for your enjoyment! I'll post some MOC specific ones for those interested (ie PF Thomas the tank engine)

Here is a video link as well for those interested in my Thomas MOC.

2011013.jpg

2011001.jpg

100_1936.jpg

100_1937.jpg

100_1938.jpg

100_1941.jpg

100_1939.jpg

100_1928.jpg

Edited by Radar

Just wanted to say Hi and introduce myself. I've just recently found that I'm interested in Lego and now trains too. In October, we took a trip to Chicago, where we happened upon the Lego Store. We went in just to look, but our daughters, who had never had Lego before, both fell in love and all they wanted for Christmas was Lego. On this same trip, we had our very first train ride, which was also great fun. Since October, we have collected a lot of Lego sets, and after putting together the Toy Story train and the Hogwarts Express, I wanted a motorized train. Two weeks ago, we got 7939 Yellow Cargo Train, and so it begins...

Now I'm upset that I missed the Emerald Night. I will definitely grab one if I can find one at a reasonable price, but from the looks of eBay and Bricklink, that's not likely. Looking at ordering power functions for the Hogwarts Express.

Hello fellow eurobrick railroaders!

Hi Andre. Welcome to EB and to Train Tech. I've moved your post to our Train Tech Registry that we use as a place for new members to introduce themselves. That's an awesome layout with a lot of fun activity. I'm going to have to watch your video. Feel free to share your MOCs within the forum as stand-alone topics. Hope you enjoy our LEGO Train community.

EDIT: just watched the video. That's great and very enjoyable to watch. Love your Thomas. How many trains can you run at the same time? I notice all 9V track. How are you powering the layout (although I understand that your Thomas is PF). Amazing display! :wub:

Just wanted to say Hi and introduce myself.

Hi Legochief - with a name like that (reminding me of the Super Chief), you are most welcome. :wink:

I own the yellow cargo train but still haven't got around to opening it - one day. I've been looking at the newer red cargo train now. It's never ending but I like the fact that LEGO is offering a variety of trains to chosse from. Don't be too upset about not purchasing an Emerald Night. It's a fantastic train but there will always be more. You might check Ebay and other sources from time-to-time to check pricing if you really have to have it. Good luck if you do. Welcome and enjoy the forum.

Hey, Ritz Brick here, I've already posted about some problems I had with my Passenger train. I've just recently got into trains since getting the Emerald Night, then realizing a train is nothing without track, and a layout, and more and more trains, so since then I've added Passenger Train and Maersk Train (x2) to my collection, as well as motors for them. My layout is just the whole Modular Building series in a line with a track going around which is still a constant work in progress. I've messed around with HO guage trains in the past so I have a basic concept on trains. Ever since I was younger and first saw the build your own train sets and the Santa Fe Super Chief I was obssesed with them and always wanted, but never got. So i guess you could say I'm trying to fulfill the satisfactiosn from seeing those.

I've always been lurking in the train forum looking at custom models and layouts for inspiration in building my own creations. I'm going to upload some pictures and a video when I get the chance, just to get some input from other memebers and see if I can get some help on my always de-railing Emerald Night :sceptic:

Hi RB. 2 Maersk Trains - sweet! :wub:

Looks like you're off to a nice LEGO Train start. I must admit that the Super Chief is one of my favorites but I have a number of trains that I've always wanted as well (way outside of my price range now).

Enjoy our LEGO Train community. :thumbup:

Hi all;

I'm Peter - I'm a native Brooklynite and life long Lego and train guy. And now I've gone and combined those two. My brother (also a railfan) decided to buy the 7936 crossing and after he had built that we both got to thinking about various layout ideas. With the thanksgiving Toy R Us sale we got the Yellow Cargo train, built it, pulled it apart and he is now rebuilding it into a modern outline TTX intermodal train. I on the other hand have been doing a lot of tinkering in LDD to develop a Baldwin 0-6-2.

I have an operations oriented outlook to model railroading so expect anything from me to be geared down for slow speed operations and my layouts to be geared toward switching challenges as opposed to tail-chasing. I also have no problem painting my bricks or adding brass or styrene parts or whatever. I view bricks as the medium I'm working in as opposed to the means unto itself.

I have a few projects in the pipeline at design stage that I hope to share with you all soon.

Welcome Peter L. Sounds like you bring an interesting perspective to LEGO Trains, so I look forward to seeing what you'll be creating. Please feel free to share any of your future MOCs in the forum. Hope you enjoy our LEGO Train community.

Hi all -

I'm David from Australia and have loved the 12v lego trains since I got my first red & yellow intercity train set (7745) about 25 years ago. While I was growing up I acquired quite a few other bits and pieces to extend the track including the automated level crossing (7866), a few signals, a couple of sets of electric points, and the red electric passenger train (7725).

It's all been in storage for about 15 years, and recently I got it out for my two and half year old son, who was fascinated by "helping" with the building and running of them again. After quite a bit of track cleaning and some 'rough' running around the tracks for a few minutes, all the motors are running beautifully - they are of such magnificent design.

Having got them out of storage and played with them again, I'm falling in love with them all over again! I've had a look on E-Bay etc... to get some more track as I love the 12V electric accessories, but one day would be really keen to perhaps expand my line up of trains... Would be great if any of these new ones could be run on the 12V track...!

I've also recently been eyeing up the huge Tower Bridge model - I thought it would be really awesome to try and widen the approach arches to be able to run a 12v track over the bridge. Have to save up first though :-)

Cheers

David

Hi David. Welcome to Train Tech. Appreciate you taking the time to share a little bit about yourself. What a marvelous thing, to open up a stock pile of 12V trains after 15 years and have everything running again. Just having them is impressive but being able to get everything working again is a test of LEGO quality.

Your Tower Bridge idea sounds like a nice project to undertake. If you do it, please share the results with us. I'd love to see pictures.

I hope you enjoy Train Tech as well as the other EB forums. :thumbup:

EDIT: oh, and image reviews of 12V sets are always welcome!

Hello everyone at the LEGO Train Tech forum from Cleveland, Ohio, USA. I discovered the forum over the Christmas holidays, and it has been a delight lurking in the background for the last few weeks. Thanks to everyone who makes this such a vibrant and interesting site in general and to you all in the Lego train community in particular!

Some Background: My better-half and I decided that the oldest of our two boys was now old enough to appreciate “real” Legos this holiday session (rather than Duplos), which culminated in our taking the plunge back into the Lego universe after decades away. Let me tell you, the introduction of Legos into our boys’ lives made Christmas just as exciting an experience for mom and dad as it was for the two of them! It was almost like rediscovering my youth.

As a boy growing up in the '80s, Lego Town and Space were a HUGE part of my life. I still remember the Iran Hostage Crisis because at least one set of Saturday morning cartoons were interrupted with news broadcasts, so I spent the morning building my first Lego set instead (House with Garden - 376). I'm not sure why my parents seemed to prefer the Town sets over Space, when my cousin always seemed to get the Space sets. Ultimately, it didn't matter too much, however, because it was Lego. Alas, my younger brother long ago (when I first left home for college) sold off our somewhat sizable, combined sets of Legos for a measly $20 bucks. ;( He regrets it now, of course, but at the time, he was known for the occasional impetuous decision. At least he kept his Black Seas Barracuda (6285) pirate ship and Cannon Cove (6266) set, so our boys still have something Lego to play with when they visit grandma and grandpa’s.

This Past Christmas: In the process of exploring our Christmas Lego purchase options, I discussed with my better half my desire to have a train running around the Christmas tree. Well, lo and behold, we quickly learned that we could not only have a Christmas train but it could be Lego train to boot! And in short order, we purchased the Emerald Night (10194) as a Christmas gift to ourselves. Our boys are both huge Thomas the Tank Engine fans, so it was no surprise that the Emerald Night was a hit with them as well. While we still have to pick up track and Power Function parts, we are off to an exciting start!

Let me tell you, those modular city building designs are looking mighty attractive as well!

We probably had enough left over Christmas gift money to have pick up the Yellow Cargo Train (7939) set, which based on recommendations here, seems like the most ideal next step for us. Ultimately, however, those funds went toward the more kid oriented Toy Story Western Train Chase (7597) set and Woody's Roundup! (7594) set, which really do look quite nice together even if they are not quite to scale with the Emerald Night and our future Lego purchases. At least, when we finally get around to adding some track to the collection, they will be compatible. Right now, it is just as much fun for them (if not more so) to push the Lego trains anyway, so the Western Train Chase set’s Power Function limitations are not a particular loss.

A Toast: I don't know how much posting I will be doing in the near future (though I am sure I will do more than my fair share of lurkering), so let me take this opportunity to offer up a Chinese New Year’s toast to both Legos and Trains, but especially to Lego Trains!

P.S. I don’t really celebrate the Chinese New Year and have no idea if one would offer a close facsimile to a toast at an Asian New Year’s celebration, so I hope no one takes offense.

P.P.S. I must try to supplement this post by finding, scanning, and loading up some old photos at some point.

The Marl of Kark (a.k.a. Mark)

Edited by Marl of Kark

My name is Michael.

New to this forum of course but not to Lego. Born and grew up in the colonies of Africa but now settled with my family in the UK. My Grandparents sent me Lego every Christmas from Germany and have been hooked ever since. (any of you chaps remember the old space range)Naturally fully corrupted my two girls into Lego and the wife is a big fan, which is always a bonus.

Sadly all this "life" business got in the way of my Lego building and collecting, however that is now being rectified. My wife and I are expecting a son in February. The wife has already acknowledged we are now in big trouble where Lego is concerned and toodamn right!!! I always wanted a train set growing up and tried to get into N Gauge however time and space always preventred this getting off the ground and then I came across the amazing Maersk Train in the Lego shop last year. Well what can be better than a train set that you can build and despite yes Lego is no cheap hobby...its a damn site cheaper than "Real" model trains. Saying that looking at what some fine chaps can do in Lego...looks pretty real to me and would put some Model Railroaders to shame I wager.

So very new into trains and may be bugging you chaps with daft questions so I hope you'll bear with me. To begin with I'm looking at the Cargo Train and the Maersk Train along with extra track box set , followed by the station and the level crossing and taking it from there. Motorising the Maersk looks fairly straightforward.

Amazing forum and can see much of my spare time being spent here. Look forward to meet many of you chaps.

Michael

Hello there,

After reading many interesting posts my Father(old!) and myself(23) have taken the plunge and registered. We have quite a few 9 volt Lego trains and have at least one example of most Lego trains since the days of 12 volt.

Our main interest is using custom built trains to record the many liveries carried in the UK since the days of BR blue and white inter city, and earlier. We will never achieve the standards of some builders, but are always happy when someone can recognise the loco type, or which livery is represented.

Sorry if you have already seen this posted in another thread, we did not realise there was a specific thread for Lego train people to introduce themselves.

Hey Guys and Gals, my name is Konrad and I am a lego nutcase. I am 26... probably one of the few older people but after lurking for a while I decided to join

post-24897-132745194785.jpeg

Wow! It's always great to have a surge in new members to our LEGO Train Community. :thumbup:

Hello everyone at the LEGO Train Tech forum from Cleveland, Ohio, USA.

Welcome Mark - what a great introduction! I enjoyed reading your fond experiences with LEGO. I remember those Duplo years myself and actually had a lot of fun building towers for Tumble Time. :laugh: Duplo is a great product for the younger builders (and Dads who like building Eiffel Towers). I also remember the 80s as well. Nothing was better than to get up at 5:30 and watch the tele-typed news before cartoons started at 6:00. (it might of been 6:30 and 7:00 but I just remember it was really early). I had a lot of those Classic Space sets myself but the Galaxy Explorer was my personal favorite. Your Emerald is certainly a great Christmas present for the family. I like those kinds of Christmas presets myself. In any case, I hope you enjoy the forum and it was great to reminisce with you. :classic:

My name is Michael.

Welcome Michael. Early LEGO from Germany - how great is that! I just wish I had some of those 12V trains from the 80s. My "German sets" are the Yellow Castle, Tournament, and Knights Procession. Those were sets I will always cherish. A little tot in February? Congratulations! I'm sure you will enjoy all the fond memories that you'll create as you'll have lots of opportunities for LEGO building. I wish you and your spouse the best of luck. Welcome!

Hello there,

Hi CT. Welcome to you and your Dad. It's nice to see a father and son both enjoy the LEGO Train hobby. EB is one of the best forums around and you certainly picked a good one to be part of. We use the Train Tech Registry for members to share their Train interest. I'm glad you took some time to also introduce yourself here. I hope you and your Pop enjoy the forum.

Hey Guys and Gals, my name is Konrad and I am a lego nutcase. I am 26... probably one of the few older people but after lurking for a while I decided to join

Hi Konrad. Welcome. I moved your initial post here as this topic is intended for train fan introductions. You'd be surprised to know that many of the LEGO Train fans are young as well as older (meaning 30s-40s). (thinking he makes me feel old) :laugh: . We actually get a huge range of members from all age groups as LEGO is timeless product. I built as a kid. I build as a teen. I now build as an adult (just got a little slower :blush: ). Okay, no more about age. Let's just say that I'm at that point that I enjoy being asked to show my ID when buying alcohol. Enjoy the forum!

Greetings! I am an AFOL and a new member to this forum.

I have a few Star Wars sets, including a custom Cantina I built from 4 Cantina sets.

I am currently working on three different custom Elvis minifigs as a gift for a friend. They include a Jailhouse Rock Elvis, a '68 Comeback Elvis, and a '70's Vegas Elvis.

And tonight I ordered my first train, the Maersk set, some track, and all the PF gear.

I am looking forward to my time on this forum!

So, what's the secret to adding my train to my signature?

ETA: Thanks, got my signature added!

Edited by markz68

Hi all,

I'm an AFOL form the Netherlands, back into LEGO since 3 years after a long dark age of roughly 20 years. I have a few 12V trains and track accesories from back then, and have been backfilling most of the 9V stuff I've missed. Now the new PF trains are killing my wallet.

I'm combining the trains with modulars (official and MOCs), and hope to make a display out of them when I can claim some space in the house.

Looking forward to joining the discussions on here!

DwarfSleepy , markz68 and others.

It is great to read your comments and hear about your journey into the world of lego trains.

Most of us with grey hair have been through the dark ages.

I think that some of the 12V trains are the best that Lego has produced; once you put them on a 9V motor.

Anyhow, welcome and I hope to see some photos of your trains and layouts.

Greetings! ... So, what's the secret to adding my train to my signature?

Hi Markz. Welcome! It's nice to know that we have some "more mature" LEGO Train fans joining us. I'm right there with you (although you probably couldn't tell by my LEGO building ability. :wink: I don't think that I've seen a LEGO Elvis before - I'd like to see that.

You'll like the Maersk. It's a pretty diesel engine, although I didn't put the stickers on mine. What I really liked in the set was the truck. Something about the style and color combination makes me want to "swoosh" it.

For adding the little bitmap signatures to your signature, there's a topic here.

I hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi all,

Hi DS welcome. It's never too late to get back into LEGO. Many of us have had "decades of Dark Ages". I can understand your comment re. the wallet. LEGO is an expensive hobby - esp. Trains and Modulars which are some of the best sets to by (IMO). Welcome and share some pix of your layout down the road.

Most of us with grey hair have been through the dark ages.

Absolutely! But we're wiser now. :laugh:

DwarfSleepy , markz68 and others.

I think that some of the 12V trains are the best that Lego has produced; once you put them on a 9V motor.

Anyhow, welcome and I hope to see some photos of your trains and layouts.

Yup, I like the 12V stuff, most mostly from nostalgia. The current trains and Mocs that I see are so much more detailed. I know it's probably considered blasphemy, but I'm actually thinking of selling my 7750, seeing the rediculuously high prices that people pay for it...

Hi all

After lurking around for a while, it's time to introduce myself!

I'm Niels, 28 years old and living in Belgium. As a kid I've spent too many hours to count playing with Lego. As I became a teenager I slowly lost interest in Lego.

That was until last year while I was preparing something for a Belgian youth movement (Chiro). I got an idea to make some sort of 3D maze where you have to use a marble to find the correct exit. So I went up to the attic to get me some of my good old Lego.

I'm not a train hobbyist 'pur sang'. Even as a kid my favorite theme was City. But a good city needs a nice train layout ;) so I enjoy watching this section a lot.

For now, I don't have much place to build myself a sweet layout. The idea is to start building my own house (with a nice basement to have some Lego fun :p) somewhere this year. In the meantime I'll keep surfing around and thinking about my future layout.

Niels