Welcome hhcBrick. You've got a nice collection started. Thanks for sharing. I hope you enjoy the forum. :classic:

10020.gif 10020 Santa Fe Super Chief

This locomotive was on the cover of a book I had as a child, so feeling nostalgic, and as it was such a great model, I bought one. But foolishly I didn't buy any of the carriages. So now the Santa Fe is on cargo hauling duty.

Hi, hhcBrick, from another newbie... I read this post and I was in the same situation; with a little time and a few bricklink and LEGO.com orders, I was able to build three of the Sante Fe cars (and have enough to build a fourth, but just haven't had the time lately). There are also some people who've come up with their own similar cars, including using the new "Emerald Night" style carriage doors (which eliminates the need for special train doors and windows). The only problem I had was the overly expensive gray sloped roof pieces; I had another solution that worked OK (in gray), but ultimately just used the "correct" piece in black.

sf_cars1.jpgsf_cars2.jpg

Peruse the forum... there's a lot of great suggestions for the cars.

Edited by fred67

Thanks for the tip, fred67.

Hi, hhcBrick, from another newbie... I read this post and I was in the same situation; with a little time and a few bricklink and LEGO.com orders, I was able to build three of the Sante Fe cars (and have enough to build a fourth, but just haven't had the time lately). There are also some people who've come up with their own similar cars, including using the new "Emerald Night" style carriage doors (which eliminates the need for special train doors and windows). The only problem I had was the overly expensive gray sloped roof pieces; I had another solution that worked OK (in gray), but ultimately just used the "correct" piece in black.

sf_cars1.jpgsf_cars2.jpg

Peruse the forum... there's a lot of great suggestions for the cars.

Oh, hey. I never introduced myself here, now have I?

Alright, let's see. I only really started with LEGO trains this year.

Funny really... I mainly started due to a light depression, which lead to a HUGE toy-binge. A Masterpiece Starscream, a Masterpiece Grimlock, two Armored Core model kits, video games, and then... I started thinking. Well, hey. I like trains in real life. I like LEGO. I used to really want to own 4558.gif as a kid, but never actually got it, so let's look around then!

Of course, I couldn't find ANYTHING in brick and mortar stores the moment I was shopping for it, while I knew I'd seen some not a month before. Shopped around on the internet, and found Set 66239 containing 7898e.gif7898d.gif7898b.gif7898c.gif7898a.gif7997a.gif and a lot of track, and I knew I had to have it.

And from there... it spiralled into madness. :P

Earlier this week, this 10194b.gif10194a.gif arrived and promptly got built.

And just yesterday, I ordered 10183a.gif, along with some supplies to power it. This will be my pet project for the future. While I will initially be building #22 pretty much to the instructions (sans necessary adaptations for the motor and battery box), the plan is to upgrade the train's shape as well as add more functions, such as interior lighting and the such.

Edited by Melfice

Hi Melfice. You certainly have a fine collection of LEGO Trains started. Despite some criticism of the Cargo Train Deluxe and it's battery powered RC system, I actually think it's a great train. I've got it running around my Train Town now. I like the diversity of the cars and it's able to climb elevated track quite nicely.

Every LEGO train fan should own at least one Hobby Train. It makes a great parts pack, and the Swiss Crocodile is a lovely model. I leave mine displayed on a shelf. It is 4-tracks long, so does take up some space on your track (for just an engine).

Please continue to enjoy our LEGO Train forum here on EB, and feel free to share those MOCs and set reviews. :thumbup:

Thank you for the welcome!

Every LEGO train fan should own at least one Hobby Train. It makes a great parts pack, and the Swiss Crocodile is a lovely model. I leave mine displayed on a shelf. It is 4-tracks long, so does take up some space on your track (for just an engine).

Yeah, but the Emerald Night isn't a dwarf either, standing at 3-and-a-little trackpieces if you include the tender, so it's not like it's all that insane. Plus, it's pretty in-scale, really. The Crocodile was pretty huge in real life too, if I remember correctly.

Hello, I've been with EB for a while, but have only recently become keen on Trains. I originally got out of my dark ages with the Star wars line in 2004, and have so far only really been keen on the UCS line. Until......

I was given an Emerald Night set for Christmas 09, and love it to bits. I have since bought a whole bunch of 9v Track and have used the Coal Tender conversion process to house a 9v motor in the set. Ive also recently bought the Hobby train set, and another Emerald night set for the extra car. While the EN result has been pretty good (especially after converting all the engine wheels to Axle based instead or Pin based to reduce friction), Im keen to build a whole layout that has Barrier arms, A station / platform and other cool things.

Ive also been quite interested in the layouts that have Mindstorms 2.0 functionality, and am seriously thinking about integrating it into a layout - but im a bit stumped on how. The main thing is to control the actual train via the 9v through Mindstorms, and then add on barrier arms, etc etc. Ive had a bit of a look on the net and here, but am not getting very far, so any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Welcome to Train Tech Harmacy (even if you've been around for a while). Mindstorms do open up a whole new aspect and possibilities for LEGO Trains. There's been a few applications shared here in Train Tech, and I've been impressed with the layouts. Hope to see you share what you come up with. :thumbup:

I've been a lurking member here for years, but never introduced myself

I'm from the UK and have been into Lego since I was about 5. Although I've been into trains as long as I can remember I only ever had one set in my childhood, 7715, as the 12V stuff was just too expensive. Since then I did buy Santa Fe and a BNSF.

However building MOCs has always been my thing rather than collecting. As an adult I got back into building Lego trains when I saw some of Huw Millington's models back in 1999 I started building some British trains, but then decided to do something completely different and make large scale narrow gauge trains instead. I started in MLCad and eventually built some, starting with a Simplex

dscn0442.jpg_thumb.jpg

and a flat car

flat1.jpg_thumb.jpg

I then got a bit more ambitious and built a narrow guage Baldwin using the new BBB wheels

left.jpg_thumb.jpg

I have a strong interest in Swiss railways and as a tester before some larger metre gauge trains I built a small tram and trailer

front_3_4.jpg_thumb.jpg

Since then my building has got a lot slower and I haven't really finished anything for ages. I've recently got into US trains and am currently rebuilding

3999333920_ed32e76e38_m.jpg

in eight wide with PF.

Edited by talltim

Hi Talltim. Welcome to the forum, although it sounds like you've been around for some time. Thanks for sharing that nice collection of models with us. I really like the Baldwin locomotive. Hope you continue to enjoy the forum, and you're always welcome to share more of your fantastic creations. :classic:

hi everybody, im a newby :wink: . well my problem started waaaaaaaaay back in the day with my first lego set 182 which was just the best thing ever,then fast forward a few years and i got lego set 7740 with switching points and signal lights the lot,so because on the box it said 9-15 years i thought i was too old little did i know :blush: i had to make a tough choice sell it to buy a tamiya r/c hornet or keep it and miss out on the next big thing.well you guessed it,i sold all my lego for i think £30.00 doh!and got myself a new car...now however ive lots of tamiya cars and most importantly lego with a lot of help and input from my 6 year old son we'v set 7897 and the bnsf 10133(which i need help to my it run r/c) love the web site and the fresh ideas that keep popping up on here keep it up! ps is there any uk lego train shows we can visit? plenty in the usa.! regards james :classic:

Welcome RS. 182 - there's a vintage train. I've always liked the colors. How I wish I had some of these early LEGO trains. They just weren't available here in the United States. In any case, I hope you enjoy the forum. :classic:

I'd better add myself as well... although I'm still more in the fan of rather than building of.. at the moment. Two large MOC's in progress (well starting) which I hope to finish over the summer...

Being Swiss based we get to see many fun gauges and trains... and European models as well. It also means things are darned expensive to buy because of the monopoly on imports... *roll eyes*.

I will probably do a better introduction when the MOC's are finished...

It's never to late to become a train fan and share your interest here on EB RoamingStudio. Hope you enjoy the forum.

Hi

My names Greg and I've only just begun to get into trains - partly inspired by the great work I've seen here!! (having never owned one in 30 years of buying, building, plying with lego) So far I've only made a few little engines (only owning a handful of small wheels and 2 bits of track!!) But I've just won a Hobby Train off Ebay so I should soon have plenty of bits and ideas to make some larger stuff while I wait for the 2010 trains. I live in the Isle of Man so I have quite a bit of reference material - we have a narrow gauge (3ft) steam railway and an electric tramway which still use their original Victorian rolling stock. There's also an electric mountain tram and a couple of small restored railways - plenty of unusual topics to base MOCs on!!

Cheers

Greg

Hmm, I like Trains, but I don't have infinite money (even though it seemed infinite when it was 2.7K, now it's only 1.5K and I can't spend any more for a while). I'm planning on getting a monorail (airport monorail would rock but it's expensive), probably the Unitron one. I have the Hogwarts express at a garage sale and I bought tracks for it but alas it's wheels weren't designed for rails so I bought some on Bricklink.

add me ..

i have only "4511 9v train" .

i want make average train system ..

what should i buy do you think ?

how can i find 9v train sets ??

i don't like rc trains but if i should buy them i'll ..

Hey hows it?

I wanna register.

Im new and have been in love with Lego and Trains since I can remember.

My dad is a huge N scale nut, and thats what got me started.

I just got a credit card and just ordered the Emerald Night.

I plan on using this bad boy to make my Lego Gotham more realistic.

Oh I am also a HUGE fan of DC Comics.

Thanks.

Richard :)

Edited by Brik-el

Welcome Brik-el. Please know that you can also introduce yourself to EB in the 'Hello, My Name is Forum'. This thread is for sharing your passion for LEGO Trains. Also, as a new member, I would recommend you check out EB's site guidelines.

In any case, glad to have you. :thumbup:

Would I be able to register, I am a HUGE 9V train fanatic/die hard.

I remember my first train, The Railway Express, i got it for my fourth birthday. I only had a loop with 2 straight track but i loved it, just a while ago my dad passed down some old lego, he had all sorts of stuff from the 60's and 70's, he didn't have any train. After a few months with my dad's Lego I decided to buy 30 straight track for my train and 2 more 9V mototrs. (Brickworld 2009 was coming up) After Brickworld 2009 was over I bought The Emerald Night because it was cool. Here comes Brickworld 2010, I buy the 7938 Passenger train and 7939 Cargo train, nothing special about either one, just cool and detailed. I only have those 3 trains not including my terrible Diesel MOC train. My Cargo and Passenger Train will hopefully be modded and switched to 9V, and I am a die hard 9V fan!!! :devil:

Do I qualify? :wink:

cimg2339v.th.jpg

I own the following:

12V:

7740 Inter-City Passenger Train

7760 Diesel Shunter Locomotive

7834 Level Crossing Manual

7866 Remote Controlled Road Crossing

7815 Passenger Carriage / Sleeper

7819 Postal Container Wagon Covered

7822 Railway Station

7857 Crossing, Electric Rails Gray 12v

7858 Remote Controlled Points Right 12v

7859 Remote Controlled Points Left 12v

7860 Remote Controlled Signal 12v

7862 Remote Controlled Decoupling

7864 Transformer / Controller 12V

7867 12V Train Light Posts

9V:

2150 Train Station

4537 Octan Twin Tank Rail Tanker

4539 Manual Level Crossing

4547 Club Car

4549 Container Double Stack

4551 Crocodile Locomotive

4554 Metro Station

4558 Metroliner

4563 Load and Haul Railroad

4515 Straight Rails

4519 Rail Crossing

4520 Curved Rails

4531 Manual Points

4548 Transformer and Speed Regulator

6399 Airport Shuttle (I'll count it, might not technically be a train though)

RC:

7938 Passenger Train

10194 Emerald Night

And tons of track for both 12V and 9V systems.