Hello all!

I've been a fan of Lego trains for a long time. I remember trying to get my parents to let me get some 9v trains when I was 12 WAY back in 2000, and failing. Now that I have my own place, and still have the urge to Lego I plan on buying some of my own; but for now I'm debating (with myself) if I should dive into the new PF trains, or EBay it up with some 9v trains. Either way I look forward to sticking around here with a bunch of other Lego maniacs!

A big hello to those on here that I already know and those who I do not.

Thought it hi time I joined up on here (not really sure why I never have before?) so here I am!

A brief intro for those who dont know me, I'm Carl, based in Staffordshire U.K and um, quite a big LEGO train fan :)

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31223598@N08/

Brickshelf: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=carl

Oh yeah, I'm also a model designer for the LEGO video games so I get to see some quite priviliged stuff from LEGO from time to time ;)

A big hello to those on here that I already know and those who I do not.

Thought it hi time I joined up on here (not really sure why I never have before?) so here I am!

A brief intro for those who dont know me, I'm Carl, based in Staffordshire U.K and um, quite a big LEGO train fan :)

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/31223598@N08/

Brickshelf: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=carl

Oh yeah, I'm also a model designer for the LEGO video games so I get to see some quite priviliged stuff from LEGO from time to time ;)

I have seen some of youre creations on Flickr

There are very beautiful creations on it.

Thanks you for sharing youre ideas.

:thumbup:

Pat. :wink:

Welcome Bricktrix. I'm a big fan of your creations, especially Corfe Castle Station. :wub: It's great to have you part of our LEGO Train community. Hope to see you share some of your creations here in Train Tech.

Thank you Patje and Brickster for the comments :)

I'm sure I'll be sharing more work here pretty soon ;)

I'm sure I'll be sharing more work here pretty soon ;)

We look forward to see more of your excellent MOC:s here !!

I have, easy available in my back-pack (for work), a copy of the railbrick interview with you, so that

I can admire the beautiful realistic scenaries, and rolling stock that you have accomplished - really very

very well done. :thumbup:

We look forward to see more of your excellent MOC:s here !!

I have, easy available in my back-pack (for work), a copy of the railbrick interview with you, so that

I can admire the beautiful realistic scenaries, and rolling stock that you have accomplished - really very

very well done. :thumbup:

:D Thank you, I'm flattered. Sadly, due to circumstances too dificult to explain, that layout all had to be dismantled this weekend.....Years to build and a day to destroy :(

The silver lining to the dark cloud is that there will be a bigger one, eventually :)

Hi,

I've been reading a lot on this forum, but did not post very regularly. I have been a (LEGO) train fan since I was 4 years old. My uncle and grandpa had a JOUEF HO scale train that I could only look at or play with when they were watching me closely. Often, they would take me to train stations in the neigbourhood to watch all the freight and passanger trains that would come by.

One day, I was 4 or 5, my mother took me to a flea market were an old man was selling LEGO on a regular basis. This time he had brought a 7750 and some carriager, on of them being the 7820. And, for some reason (it was not my Bday, not Xmas); my mum bought both of them. The next day i returned with my dad to buy some track and a 12V regulator and from that day on I was hooked on LEGO trains. One year later, the 9V era started, but I never bought 9V sets, except for some cars: 4537, 4543, 4536.

At the age of 14 I discovered ebay and my mom went along, so i was able to buy some extra trains: a complete 7735 and 7745 and some extra tracks.

For a long time, i did not buy any new lego, from time to time i would lay down a track, leave it for a few days, and break it apart again. But, since this year, I got bitten by the lego bug again, and started buying (and selling) some sets, at the moment i still got:

All mentioned above (and will never sell them as they were given to me as a gift).

7735 loc

7838 (one of the best cargo sets ever !)

10027 engine shed (best track side structure ever !)

4512 (for parts)

tracks, tracks, tracks

Sets I've owned, but sold again:

7750 (got a spare for some time)

Currently, I would like to build a small scale lay out with 2 or 3 trains (RC and 9V) and realistic track side structures. More on that when they will actually be completed.

Cheers, Thomas

Looks like you've got a pretty nice collection Thomas. I started with HO scale as well, but did get to play with them (and destroy them), but it was a lot of fun.

Welcome! :thumbup:

A few months ago I found my way back after 22 years or so of dark years and picked all my 12V stuff up from my parents house. My and my younger brother got the 7725 setfor Christmas in -82 or 83 and later we got the 7760 shunter, the 7816 Shell tanker, the 7819 mail wagon and the 7815 sleeping car. Other stuff include two points, the remote controlled signal and the 7824 station. I have also found a spare dining car from the 7740 (with 9V style wheels) on the internet.

Everything worked when I set up a small track, but the plastic in the sleepers has aged and a few of them broke when I put everything back in the boxes.

My question should probably go in another part of this forum, but does anyone know if it's possible to combine the 12V conductor rails and the new RC tracks?

My question should probably go in another part of this forum, but does anyone know if it's possible to combine the 12V conductor rails and the new RC tracks?

The straight conductor rail works with no problem, the curved one doesn't clip down very well as the extra sleepers seem to be in the wrong position for the conductor rail.

Welcome Staalis. It's never too late to get back into the hobby. You've got a lot of catching up to do since the 12V era. :wink:

Hope you enjoy Train Tech as well as EB.

Hi,

I'm Fred, I'm 43, and my story is that I barely remember having my own LEGO as a kid, but I remember playing at a friends house who had a lot more and a lot more interesting pieces than me. It was around '78/'79, and we were both big Star Wars fans and were making X-Wings and TIE Fighters more than 20 years before LEGO, but then that's the beauty of LEGO, I suppose.

I had an HO set as a kid; my dad bought a 4x8 piece of plywood, and mom painted it green with a black road on it, and we mounted the trains on it and played with matchbox cars in the middle, but the train hobby didn't last very long.

My dad is semi-retired, and on a visit about 13 years ago, I noticed he had an N-Scale set tucked away in his "grand-kid" closet. He said he'd been planning to make a little layout, but there it languished in the box, so I took it out and played with it for while. It was a steam engine, and didn't run very well, so while I was trying to "fix" it, I ended up breaking the engine from the tender (the tender had the pickups). So I went out to buy a replacement, and I ended up making a deal with him... I'd get him a duplicate set in HO (which he was preferring at the time) and I'd keep the one I broke (I bought a new engine).

So... getting back to LEGO; I was living in an apartment and didn't have enough space to even really build an N-Scale layout, so I'd get out the set every so often and play with it, and got the bright idea to buy a bucket of LEGO to prototype things like over/unders and so forth. It didn't work, but I had fun with the LEGO... so I started buying some smaller sets for the interesting pieces. Then it happened: my mom gave me an AT-ST walker set (the one with Chewbacca). LEGO was still expensive for me, so I started collecting minis.

I didn't even know about LEGO trains. I don't recall ever seeing 9V trains at Toys-R-Us, and if I did I guess I figured they were too expensive.

In 1999 I moved into a house about a month after my son was born. In 2001 we had our second child; by that time, my son always wanted to play with the N-Scale set that had found it's way to a 2x4 table, but being a kid his idea of fun was to crank up the power until the train went flying off the track. I didn't get much time to build a layout.

But then one year near Christmas, maybe 2001 or 2002, Sam's Club (a warehouse club in North America, for those who don't know) had a set for sale... the 4561 Railway Express.

4561.gif

I thought it was fantastic... It wasn't "realistic," but it was a set I could play with my kids with. Now, I knew nothing about LEGO trains. Despite reading many model railroading magazines, I'd never seen an ad. LEGO Stores didn't exist (at least not near me), and I'd never been to LEGO.com, so I decided to get two so that I could get two motors and more track. So that's how it started... pretty slowly, really; we set it up for Christmas (I still don't have space for a large layout, so I only get to play with it periodically).

As I discovered the LEGO Store and LEGO.com, I bought some extra track, a couple extra motors, and my "love" of playing with LEGO trains grew into somewhat of an addiction. As it stands now, I've got:

a_4511a.gifa_4511b.gifa_4511b.gifa_4511a.gif (I like my high speed train with two sloping ends, but the picture doesn't go that way)

10170.gif10133.gif

a_10025-pos.gifa_10022-sp.gifa_10025-gep.gif10020.gif (Got the SFSC on Bricklink, but built the cars from pieces, not exact).

a_10014_1.gifa_10015_1.gifKT407.gif (x2)

a_10014_1.gifa_kt307.gif

10194b.gif10194a.gif (x2)

7997a.gif

No images - 4708 Hogwart's Express, x2

No image - 4837 Mini Trains (built from parts, not the set, see below)

I've also built my own open freight wagon, which was pretty easy, of course.

I'm not very good at MOCs, but I like making what LEGO gives us a bit better:

green_front.jpgred_front.jpg

I like the minis, they're pretty fun, but it's also depressing as that's all the room I have to work with.

I'm definitely working on MOCs; I've been trying to build my own Hogwart's Express that doesn't suck (pe668 - yours was VERY good).

Sadly, many of my trains are in boxes, unbuilt; some are on display. I have no working layout, but usually set one up around Christmas time at least, and occasionally besides that. We're hoping to move soon (within the next year) and I'm hoping to have a lot more room for the LEGO hobby, including a lot more shelves and space for a fairly large layout.

If I could say one thing... I'm really disappointed at LEGO abandoning 9V. I've invested a lot into it, and I'm really wondering why I shouldn't just go back to HO and sell the LEGO. I still like LEGO Castle and Star Wars (4/5/6). I've noticed people like Grunneger's track that might help keep 9V alive; I've also seen some other options (converting the new plastic track to conducting via copper tape); if there was a solution... maybe using O gauge and coming up with a way to make it work with LEGO (adapting some generic motor to LEGO), I'd be a lifetime fan, as no one can pull that out from under you like LEGO did with 9V (and 12V fans certainly have my sympathy, as well).

EDIT: I need to add I saw Anthony Sava's post... I just bought his set of instructions on Bricklink and can't wait to get strarted... need to order some Big Ben wheels, though.

Edited by fred67

Hi,

If I could say one thing... I'm really disappointed at LEGO abandoning 9V. I've invested a lot into it, and I'm really wondering why I shouldn't just go back to HO and sell the LEGO. I still like LEGO Castle and Star Wars (4/5/6). I've noticed people like Grunneger's track that might help keep 9V alive; I've also seen some other options (converting the new plastic track to conducting via copper tape); if there was a solution... maybe using O gauge and coming up with a way to make it work with LEGO (adapting some generic motor to LEGO), I'd be a lifetime fan, as no one can pull that out from under you like LEGO did with 9V (and 12V fans certainly have my sympathy, as well)..

in former days I had also marklin trains.

had to choose of my father, marklin or legotrains

I found marklin very beautiful,

but once placed you could drive only.

I chose then for lego,

what was in that time not logical.

marklin had beautiful landscapes,

lego had even none green bricks

I lie , you saw there sometimes in a publicity, but you could buy none

we return 36 years in the time, i was 12

my father did not see this sitting, he saw kinder marklin.

but what I'm glad now, that I remained by lego.

:wink:

Edited by patje

Welcome Staalis. It's never too late to get back into the hobby. You've got a lot of catching up to do since the 12V era. :wink:

Hope you enjoy Train Tech as well as EB.

Thanks! Actually I'm planning to stay within the 12V era to begin with and to add some MOC cars - 12V style.

Hello everyone

my name is tony I live in pennsylvania USA

I am a very addicted collector of 9 volt and now power functions

here are some of my pictures of the ones I have displayed

I have so many I need to buy a bigger house

Hello everyone

my name is tony I live in pennsylvania USA

here are some of my pictures of the ones I have displayed

I have so many I need to buy a bigger house

I just added alot of pictures of my collection on flickr in the eurobricks group

But then one year near Christmas, maybe 2001 or 2002, Sam's Club (a warehouse club in North America, for those who don't know) had a set for sale... the 4561 Railway Express.

I like the minis, they're pretty fun, but it's also depressing as that's all the room I have to work with.

Hi Fred. Welcome to Train Tech. I'm familiar with Sams and bough my nephew that Railway Express when they had it. While I didn't like the train very much, it was a great value with motor, track, transformer, and the platform. Unfortunately, I didn't think of buying one for myself at the time.

I like that mini red loco you built. I picked up an extra green loco to try to build an additional car, but mini building is tricky (at least for me). It would be fun to incorporate the new Indy track with a mini train. Perhaps I'll try.

I hope you enjoy the forum.

Welcome Pugsx3, but watch those quotes. :wink:

Hey all! As a new Eurobricks member, after introducing myself, I wanted to make sure I signed the Train Tech Registry. (:

As a life long railfan and LEGO enthusiast, naturally those two interests went hand in hand. My first set was a Samsonite copy of 7722, which still holds many fond memories for me. As an American, I sadly missed out on the 12V era (not to mention I was born as it was ending!) but was able to enjoy many of the 9V greats. I sadly entered my dark ages period around 2004 and have only recently come out of it - and how I regret not stocking up before 9V ended!

Unfortunately, I am currently without most of my LEGO collection, as I could not afford to bring it with me as I moved across the country. I hope to be able to truck it out here someday soon, however - as I have not completed an MOC in five years!

My collection is as follows:

7722.gif7722.gif

a_4547_1.gifa_4558_1.gif4565.gif

4565.gifa_10014_1.gifa_10016_1.gifa_kt307.gif

a_4511b.gifa_4511b.gif10020.gif10133.gif4512.gif

10173e.gif10173d.gif10173c.gif10173b.gif10173a.gif10183a.gif10183a.gif

10027.gif7866a.gif7866b.gif4556.gif4513.gif7835a.gif

Edited by tunamint

Welcome TM. It looks like you've got a nice collection of 9V sets. I love that 7722 Battery Train set. That would make a great set review if you'd like to share.

Hope you enjoy the forum, as well as EB. :classic:

Hey there,

Have lurked around for a while now so thought I'd sign up!

Edited by Catanas

OK, here goes....

I'm 42, and after a Lego-filled childhood I emerged from my long. long dark ages around Christmas 2008 when my wife (who knew of my past love of Lego and my enduring love of Star Wars and put 2 and 2 together....) bought me the Lego Death Star for Christmas. Building the Death Star brought the joy of Lego flooding back, and since then I've become addicted all over again. The danger is that now I have a good income, and thousands of pounds have been spent buying up current sets, catching up on sets I missed, and buying up sets from my childhood in intact original boxes (although I still have 2 huge crates of well-worn Lego from my past, few sets are complete and only a couple have boxes). eBay has become my friend, although my wife and my bank manager would disagree.

My first train was 171, running on a circle of blue track. I installed the black battery motor as a kid and played with it for hours. I still have most of the original pieces (including the train and carriage bases with wheels), but not the motor. I rcently bought a neat boxed 171 with instructions from eBay, and seeing the box art and instructions again brought the memories flooding back. 171 was the only train I owned until I saw the pre-release shots of Emerald Night and fell in love with it. I bought it and built it the day it was launched in the UK, and it's still on display on my desk. I added the PF motor to it, and one day would like to have it running on a good-sized layout rather than just the short stretch of track upon which it sits currently. Next I bought Santa Fe, plus one of the passenger cars and one of the baggage cars. I'd love a whole train, but the prices are crazy. Most recently I've bought a Burlington BNSF - I love the colour scheme. I also have the most recent station (7997) and extra track (straight, curves and some of the flexible track). I'd like to get the retired Cargo Train (7898) and will pick one up if I find one at a reasonable price. I'm also ready to splash the cash on the new 2010 trains, particularly the yellow cargo train which looks superb to me. I keep seeing interesting older trains and wagons on eBay, but they go for pretty high prices so I'm playing a waiting game, just waiting for bargains which come along now and then.

Incidentally, I love the little train 'icons' that many of the train techies have on their messages - do you guys just capture the pics of each-others e-mails and add them to your own, or is there a repository of all the icons somewhere ?

So that's me, hopelessly addicted to Lego Star Wars, the modular buildings, Lego Indiana Jones, exclusives like the Taj Mahal and Eiffel Tower, as well as collecting older sets, and frankly running out of space.....

Happy building and collecting,

Dr. D.

Edited by drdavewatford

Hey there,

Have lurked around for a while now so thought I'd sign up!

Hi Catanas. I'm glad you finally decided to register, and as your first post here on EB, a GREAT BIG WELCOME! You might also consider posting a little intro in the "Hello My Name Is Forum" so that the non-train fans will have a chance to meet you as well. EB is a great community. :thumbup:

So that's me, hopelessly addicted to Lego Star Wars, the modular buildings, Lego Indiana Jones, exclusives like the Taj Mahal and Eiffel Tower, as well as.....

Welcome Dr. D. It's certainly never too late to get back into the hobby (from someone who speaks from experience :wink: ). It's always nice to see more train interest among our Train Tech community, and it looks like you've got some other great LEGO interest, esp. IJ (one of my favorites as well).

Hope you both enjoy the forum and I look forward to seeing your creations and topics. :classic:

Hi,

I'm Alec from London and since I recently posted a train MOC I thought I should introduce myself in the Train Tech forum. Here is a timeline of the train sets I own (showing the year I got the sets rather than their release year):

7725.gif 7725 Passenger train

This was a Christmas present, my first train set, and I was very happy with it.

7745.gif 7745 High Speed Train

The following year I was lucky enough to receive the High Speed train. I recently rebuilt it, and it still looks great although the white bricks have faded a bit. Being half French, I always thought of this as a French TGV and applied the SNCF stickers that came with it (There was a choice of several European railway stickers -Sorry British Rail!). A few years later I was wondering about whether to get the Metroliner, but as a friend pointed out to me, the Metroliner looks like it could be late sometimes, while the High Speed train is never late! (I still hope to get hold of a Metroliner at some point)

6990.gif 6990 Monorail

As a kid I loved Space Lego even more than trains, so a Space train was amazing.

...Then there was a large gap. My dark ages started in the late 90s when Lego started producing some really uninspiring sets. I'd wanted to get some of the great early 90s train sets but my pocket money was mainly going on Space purchases. My dark ages ended with the release of the first Star Wars sets. But I didn't return to trains until...

10020.gif 10020 Santa Fe Super Chief

This locomotive was on the cover of a book I had as a child, so feeling nostalgic, and as it was such a great model, I bought one. But foolishly I didn't buy any of the carriages. So now the Santa Fe is on cargo hauling duty.

7897b.gif7897 Passenger Train

10194a.gif10194 Emerald Night

I'd been collecting models for a few years, but no real MOC building took place until 2009. I decided to upgrade my rail collection. The 7897 is probably never late either, but I did complain to Lego about the ill-fitting nose piece. The Emerald Night is lovely.

4552.gif 4552 Cargo Crane

4549.gif4549cran.gif 4549 Container Double Stack

4555.GIF 4555 Cargo Station

4543wag.gif 4543 Flatbed and Tractor

10170.GIF 10170 TTX Intermodal Double Stack

All the above thanks to Bricklink and eBay. As I don't have a lot of space for layouts, I focus on creating trackside buildings. I'm also working on this:

4554.gif 4554 Metro Station (custom MOD with different colour scheme in progress)

That's about it-- looking forward to the new summer train releases!