While I'm not a huge Train buff, my son is. I asked him recently if he would like to get into LEGO trains, and his reply was an enthusiastic "Yes". So I think I'll be spending a lot more time in this forum.

To date, I've only done one train MOC, a Santa Fe FP-45:

img_2554.jpg

Unfortunately, that MOC was a Christmas gift, so it isn't in my possession anymore.

Aside from that, I own two train sets: 4708 Hogwarts Express and 10132 Motorized Hogwarts Express. I've since bought a few trucks and bogie plates off of Bricklink to put the 4708 onto the same track as 10132. Makes the train a little longer. In addition, I have some additonal 9V straight, curved and a cross to make a figure eight track layout. Works pretty well.

I think that any future MOCs will be based off of a Power Functions motive force. I'm assuming my 9V track will be compatable with the PF/RC track, as long as I don't try to switch my 9V trains onto the unpowered track.

My son prefers diesel trains, so I think most of my MOCs will be diesels with freight cars and such.

I look forward to interacting with you all, though I do tend to lurk a lot until I have something meaningful to say.

Might as well add my name to the list.

Just got my first Lego train 7898 Cargo Train Deluxe but this one set has started something off and me and my Kids are now planning a mass expansion over the next few months. Think I'm going to start with 10194 Emerald Night and maybe 7897 Passenger Train if I can find one for a good price. I also plan to get the two new trains due out in August

I am very interested in trying my hand at MOC trains and as soon as I have ordered some parts in I will have a go, and if any good I will post some pics.

Sign me up!

Since I'm newer to lego, I don't get very many trains. :cry_sad:

However, I have some of the newer ones.

It all started when I got the Railway Express. That's what pulled me into lego. Ahhh, My second set.

I didn't get any other sets until I saw the BNSF, which I bought and broke. :cry_sad:

I also have The Santa Fe loco, TTX car, hobby train, and the old Hogwarts Express.

I want 2010's line and the Emerald Night.

For the longest time, Hobby train was the crocodile. I now have a Holiday Train and a piggyback car. I'll try to post them soon.

I must not forget that I also have the red caboose and green passenger car.

Edited by Legoroni

Welcome to Train Tech Walter, Sebby, and Legoroni. It's nice to see you guys joining our LEGO Train community. I hope you enjoy the forum.

Sign me up please.

Train sets to date:

171 Train Set (1972)171.gif

163 Mobile Crane (1977)163.gif

10205 My Own Train (2002)10014.gif10017.gif10016.gif10013.gif10015.gifKT205.gif

10132 Hogwarts Express (2004)

10183 Hobby Train (2007)10183a.gif

10194 Emerald Night (2009)10194b.gif10194b.gif10194a.gif

Edit: Added images from Herby's train depot

Edited by David (New Zealand)

Welcome to Train Tech David. Looks like you've got a few "oldies buy goodies" in your collection. :thumbup: Hope you enjoy our train forum.

Hello,

My passion for trains has been since childhood, loved to ride a train after it discovered the Lego, but only dreamed of looking at the catalogs to see the 1991/92 Metroliner 4558, unfortunately at the time was expensive and there were shops that sold .

Where was my set of dream.

2000 to 2008 was in Dark Age, I went to buy a Set which happened to be a bionicle (nothing to do, I know) and hence the passion back, even stopped smoking to buy Lego.

I learned of the LDD and then started doing my first train, then I began to participate in forums of Lugs Portuguese and got my first set train (given by my girlfriend), small Creator 4837.

After I bought the 2 RC trains, then the first order in Bricklink (Orange Parts for CP2600) on ebay and finally got the Metroliner "YEAH!"

I started making my own station, all répilcas models in my country. not intend to buy official sets, but only because they have enough parts very useful, I bought the Hobby Train 10183, but when did the Emerald Night, and I also love and Buy it to "YEAH AGAIN!"

now I am focused on making long-distance trains Portuguese to move the layout of some events in Portugal.

I am a simple person who just likes to have fun building replicas of trains;)

My BS Folder: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=317863

Welcome Sergio. I've really been enjoying your Portuguese locomotives. I love the orange color scheme that I think is very unique. It's really neat to see how some of us build trains based on our geographic region.

Hope to see more from you - especially some rolling stock. :thumbup:

Well new here.

Had a Dark age (1989-2008)

Came back (thanks to my neice, who also likes lego)

Found Bricklink and well... I staying!

I had vague memories of playing at a friends back in the early 80's with blue train tracks and trains. Never actually had any trains as a kid. After the Dark age I brought what I thought was a large amount of the 4.5v grey trakcs (until I saw here I thought was a lot, now its tiny). Brought the instruction sets the thw small and medium size loco, got some train bases, but did not got much further at the time.... then..

Along came Emerald Night....

My own Christmas pressy to me, even held off opening until 26th..

Well I now have a layout on a 8'(2.4m) x 4'(1.2m) board, it varies but Emerald Night (at 9 wide) is now showing a small flaw in my earlier purchases.... It cannot pass its own carrige as the 8 width tracks under the old 4.5 system with the junctions are right next to each other, no clearance at all... Safe to say I have started purchasing the newer tracks to solve this (eventually will be selling off the old tracks).

Thankfully I am that new I am still on debate of 7 wide or 8 wide to fit in with Emerald Night (6wide carriages just makes that engine look HUGE).

Trains not only part of Lego I enjoying, pretty much, Star Wars (built yard with train feeds to build a minifigure scale AT-AT that I hope will walk!, City (around the space in the yard layout), Boats (including an simple yet effective oil rig trial that floated using two the large ship hulls)

I am thinking of rebuilding the yard to basically turn the small tunnel into a underground station like setup as there will be two of the modular setups above it when done.

Having issues with batteries on camera so no piccies of the latest version of the train & AT-AT etc yet..

But I can show is the rig (last years build) and some of the version 1 images of the layout. (that crane can lift the whole AT-AT construction at the moment, old 4.5motor used to provide weight when crane not in use, else the line (21lb fishing line) slackens.

Once batteries are re-charged I will get piccies added to show the layout as it currently stands (version 3 adjustments already in planning)

Also stuck in North Cornwall, UK so not exactly had opportunity to see any LEGO shows etc as a AFOL, I can but dream and the pictures I see from many others that are clearly much better skilled than I (I am still getting used to SNOT concepts etc!!)

Oil Rig Picture 1

Oil Rig Picture 2

Oil Rig Picture 3

This room is also the store room so other stuff may get seen in the pictures, in background..

Layout 1 Picture 1

Yes thats an 8 wide special transport container in the background, turned the Heavy Haulage tipper into a unit for carrier 20ft containers, maybe a flaw here in that old 8 wide container, its well out of all other LEGO standard builds.

Flatcars etc clear sa they gettign used to deliever parts frequently from the boxes at the end hidden behind me in this picture

Layout 1 Picture 2

Layout 1 Picture 3

The legs, gearing locked down with racks to keep it stable, it does move right under manual movement, yet to build the connecting rods etc and the full motor setup, all to be delieved by train..

Layout 1 Picture 4

Layout 1 Picture 5

Even more Sci-Fi Association

Layout 1 Picture 6

How to avoid using too many 2x4 bricks.... use 2/3 33deg slopes ! and also you can see the support to stop the crane toppling over as its joined to baseplates resting on an upper surface

Layout 1 Picture 7

Hopes..

To build a small desiel shunter like the Hornby one I had as a kid, I think much like an 08 .. will be ideal if done right with the XL PF motor in it..

Cab to have minifig in, rest is filled with motor etc..

Edited by CBFasi

Welcome CB. It's nice to have you join us. Thanks for sharing those really nice images. It looks like you've got a great layout and your trackside structures are pretty slick. I look forward to seeing your train MOCs. :thumbup:

The MOC Trains will likely end up more fictional, but based on real, but with LEGO RP requirements, such as ability to carry certain loads etc.

The related terrain will keep on evolving too (v2 is already gone, v3 underconstruction, awaiting some kits and parts)

Edited by CBFasi

As I really much love trains (in particular swiss electric types) and rail bound transport in general and LEGO are a stable in my life (Dark Ages where only 2000 - 2005), I may as well register for the Train Tech.

I'm from Switzerland, love to play and collect Videogames, LEGO Bricks and Trains.

In LEGO, if it's not some Technic set of the golden Age (90'-97') it's Star Wars, Cerator or a Train.

Sadly, I never had any LEGO-Trains till I got an Emerald Night for my Birthday in 2010, I was always interested in them. Created my first MOC with MLCAD in 2006.

Good thing I'm not that ferrophile like some work colleagues, and after seeing the prices for some H0 scale Locos (CHF 850.- for a SBB Ae 4/7, CHF 150.- for a LEGO Emerald Night), I decided to create my eventual layout in L gauge. And I can mix it with Star Wars too!

And in perspective to that, I try to create my MOCs with Minifigs in mind. To place Battle Droids in them! MUAHAHHAA!!!1111

Also as I'm too late for 9V, I'll create everything with PF in mind (The RC-sets are horrible in this regard, Line of Sight during all operations).

n680863518_1198920_9877.jpg

^- that's me in there.

Edited by ZueriHB

Welcome ZueriHB. I suppose that if you're going to start collecting LEGO Trains, there's no better model than the Emerald Night as your first. It is a fantastic set, although it's definitely not the best train for a beginning train builder (at least in my opinion). Aside from the wheels, I haven't used any of the other pieces myself.

In any case, welcome and I hope you enjoy the forum.

Welcome ZueriHB. I suppose that if you're going to start collecting LEGO Trains, there's no better model than the Emerald Night as your first. It is a fantastic set, although it's definitely not the best train for a beginning train builder (at least in my opinion). Aside from the wheels, I haven't used any of the other pieces myself.

In any case, welcome and I hope you enjoy the forum.

Oh, no problem, I have access to my back catalogue of Technics and some Town elements to use. Also LDD and MLCAD are my friends.

A very strong hand shake to all Lego train fans from Warsaw, Poland.

I am back to Lego after almost 20 years in the Dark :wink: All these years ago train sets were totally out of my reach but now it is a serious come back. 18 month after my rebirth as AFOL my layout in progress is still growing. At the moment it is 2.5mx2.5m, one level, but I am trying to balance forced perspective with modular buildings in front and classic feel up and in the back with RC trains and monorail.

Right, I got lucky and bought used but flawless monorail, and over last 12 months collected large stock of monorail track. Since my layout is supposed to be on knee-level table, monorail will be essentially underground with on-the-ground stations thanks to monorail climbing ability. I know it is very challenging; I could not find an example of a very successful implementation of monorail with City and classical trains.

I also spotted SantaFe and bought it at right price, though I am struggling to find some wagons which would not be ridiculously expensive. I find it a little bit difficult to pay same price for a wagon as for a modular building!

You can see my train collection in my signature.

I'll keep you posted once I feel my layout is closer to my Grand Plan than to just a collection of unmodded sets... not to mention unfinished tunnel being built from my first ever Bricklink order :classic:

All the best!!!

Staszek

(extends hand to Staszek)

Welcome Staszek. I've seen many outstanding creations from the Poland LUG over the last several years. I look forward to seeing your layout. :thumbup:

About time I put my name down in here. :classic:

As you've probably gathered from my posts, my interest in Lego Trains stems partly from a primarily Classic Town Lego collection from my childhood and mostly from a deep-seated love of both real and scale model steam-era trains. When I was growing up I quite liked the 9V Lego Trains of the 1990s, but the range was too limited, the prices were too high and the few steam locos that were made didn't look right. They used the standard 9V motorised bogie, whereas to me a steam loco has proper coupled driving wheels and when replicated in model form should use these to put its power to the rails. As a result, 10194 is my first ever Lego Train. You can see some of the tweaks to it I've made to make it more realistic and British looking here.

I'm currently just out of education and Lego is still overpriced, so I'll have to wait until I've got a steady income until I can get some locos of my own built, probably based on UK steam engines and generally those that can be seen in preservation.

I'd like to put my name down on here.

I have an incredibly small Lego train collection.

I also have a good knowlege of real trains, British ones that is.

The first set I got was the 2585 track buggy which came with the Lego Loco Game. In the 90's I was buying Castle and Town, I was just a lad back then and Train sets were a more hefty price than town (that explains why I have a lot of small town sets). Castle was my favourate theme and whenever it was Christmas or my Birthday I would ask for something like a castle (obviously). However I have always had an interest for Lego Trains, Just the sight of them used to enthrill me. I may have a small collection but that certainly does not mean that I do not like Lego Trains.

Since then I have tried my hand at building a few small MOC's.

I plan to increase the size of my Train collection quite a lot within a few years time so that hopefully I can build up a display with my Town and City sets.

I really like Lego Trains and it's nice to use the Train Tech Forum, it helps me get involved in a way :wink: .

Thanks,

Gormadoc

Hi all, I have just been re-introduced to the train sets, but my time with them goes way back to the early 80's.

My parents at the time owned a sweet shop (most popular kid in school was I!!), and out the back of the shop was a huge garage and store room. The store room (probably about 10'x8') was converted into a Lego town paradise! I have yet to find any photos of my old layout, but I did have an old 7810 steam train and made some carriages to go on the old blue tracks I had been given by either my sister or step brother.

In 1987 or 88 my nephew got the 7745 for Christmas and I can still remember spending most of Boxing Day putting the set together for him. Train whizzing round the lounge, annoying the family and keeping my nephew and myself amused for most of the day! Then I went off Lego. My parents moved from the shop to a flat, I lost most of my Lego collection and didn't really do much bricking until I got a PS2 and Lego Star Wars came out!

After buying a couple of the Indiana Jones sets and Stars Wars sets during 2008 & 2009, I bouhgt a couple of Creator sets to complete at work, 6747 motorcycle and 6748 Fire rescue then I was seeing myself get hooked into Lego again. My sister contacted me three weeks ago and told me she had made a discovery in her loft. In a box right at the back, and it seemed to be complete was my nephews old 7745 set. A bit dirty but other than that seems to be complete. Then the offer from my sister "do you want it?" After a 140 mile round trip along the M25 the old train set was back in my office being cleaned up. Track set up and the old rubbers replaced with a couple of o-rings (new wheels now on way), the electric motor whizzed into life and the train was flying round the meeting table at work! Good job I am the boss really!

So now I am in need of lots of additions! I know I should be rebuilding a Ducati Monster but hey, the old Lego trains are more fun and it is too cold at the moment to be riding around on one of those dangerouse motorcycle things!!!

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/banditlo...OB/img_0001.jpg It's back on my desk shelf at home now. I don't trust the *kids* who drive the forklifts at work!

I'll get the inifinity curve out soon and get some decent shots of the train and some of my (feeble) layout. Then again I do have a 2000sq ft empty space to fill ;)

:classic:

Edited by banditloon

Great story banditloon, and gormadoc, it's good to know I'm not the only Eurobricks member from Shropshire active in this subforum!

I got a nice collection of 12v sets from my childhood that I haven't touched for many years until last month to see what still works. It actually starts a few months earlier when I was working on ideas for a subway to run under my modular buildings, cafe corner, green grocer and 2 MOC's. At the end I couldn't fit 8 wide train tracks and choose to use monorail tracks, I always wanted to have a monorails when I was a kid.

After investing way too much money in 1 1/2 signal sets and losing more rails and sleepers every time I build a layout I bought the super RC collection and having a blast but need a shunter What I need now, except new rails, is a passenger train maybe I get the metroliner and PF it or try and build a MOC.

Anyway my collection:

7710.GIF

7735.GIF

Rebuild the engine for testing my 12v tracks now going to try and pf it. Also did the boxcar but have since then changed it.

7813.GIF

Couldn't find all the parts so MODded it.

7817.GIF

7834A.GIF

The tree has been used in so many creations since I got back from my dark ages 6 years ago.

7866.GIF

7823.GIF

7839.GIF

7898a.gif7898b.gif7898c.gif7898d.gif7898e.gif

7997a.gif

I doubled the platform and build the first floor. See my flickr account.

Welcome Merkal. Glad to have you! It's always nice to see those 12V collections. I love the one with the yellow mail/boxcar.

Hello there to all lego trains fans around.

I'm writing from italy and I was born in 1975 and after a long dark age started in the 1986, I came back to my old passion since the year 2008 with a huge hunger of missed sets.

Since my first train 182, that I know I had just because I found the motor box and the window bricks and connected to that set thanks to peeron (after a better digging I luckily found all the pieces) I got many 4.5v and 12v trains since the beginning of my dark ages.

After seeing the light again, I started to collect Star Wars, Indy and other special sets and looking for some past sets I could not get those days. When I saw the Emerald Night, I tried to avoid to buy that because I was afraid I could start to collect trains again, but at last I could not resist and now I got sucked in again.

In hope to find good friends and time to rebuild my collection again I say hello to everyone!

my sets:

134 146 162 182 7722 7727 7730 7740 7760 7814 7815 7816 7817 7819 7820 7821 7822 7824 7834 7838 7866 10194

(sorry. could not find how to add pics of my sets)