Hi all,

My name is Ronald, but online I'm better known as Duq (long story). I'm Dutch, but now living in Ireland (another long story).

My dark ages lasted about 15 years, until in 1999 I started buying Lego for the children and the bug caught me again. Initially I continued where I left, building Technic. Pretty soon though I got into trains. I never had a Lego train as a child. My dad had an attic full of N-scale trains, so my parents reckoned there were enough trains in the house.

I haven't got a lot of train sets, and apart from the Emeral Night they've all long ago been taken apart.

4512d.gif4512c.gif4512b.gif4512a.gif 4512, my first train set. A christmas present from my parents when I was... 35.

10020.gif The Santa Fe. Traded a Dell server for this set...

10183b.gif The Hobby Train. I never really believed it would save 9V but it's a good parts pack.

10194b.gif10194a.gif The Emerald Night. Best Lego train set ever.

I don't have a lot of time for the Lego hobby, and I've spent many hours looking after lowlug.nl so I don't have a lot of MOCs. Here's a few:

My first train was this:

2717747681_27c603a239.jpg

I like a challenge, so the first incarnation of the engine had a compressor on board and could tip the containers on the freight car.

The next train is a Dutch post train:

2745559566_1853bd68af.jpg

7-wide and parts of the side are a half plate recessed. It's almost solid inside with all the SNOT.

This one was a last minute creation for a layout:

2718565534_1eea0c5911.jpg

I also did a Dutch passenger train, a three car diesel. I've lost the pictures but it's still in a box so I'll do pictures later. It's a bit of an animal for running on layouts as it's 8-wide and loooong...

This little shunter has been updated since I did the CAD but I've yet to take pictures (and do stickers first):

twoshunters_small.png

At the moment I'm working on two MOCs for the contest; a steam engine (that I started for the 2-4-0 challenge on Flickr and a tram.

My name is Ronald, but online I'm better known as Duq (long story).

Welcome Duq, never knew your real name was Ronald (knowing you from lowlug I always thought it was Duq :classic: )

I don't have a lot of time for the Lego hobby, and I've spent many hours looking after lowlug.nl so I don't have a lot of MOCs.

I must say this is an understatement, in my vision you dedicated part of your life to lowlug, many thanks for that BTW.

Looking forward to your MOC for the contest and also the tram.

Also never knew you build that post train which looks really great. :thumbup:

Edited by aawsum

Welcome Selander and Duq. Those are some fantastic creations! :wub: I'm glad to see you both joining our train community and look forward to your future creations.

Well according to my Brickset inventory I have the following 9v sets.

Tracks etc. 4515 x15, 4519 x9, 4520 x 13, 4531 x 7. I've a bunch of loose curved 9v tracks which I acquired in bulk also.

4541 x1

4548 x4

Trains etc.

10001 x1, 10002 x1, 10014 x1, 10015 x2, 10017 x1

10020 x2, 10022 x4, 10025 x1, 10133 x1

10153 x7

10170 x1, 10173 x1, 10183 x3, 10194 x1

I've also the 9v level crossing 10128, cargo train 4512, train shed 10027, station 4513 and motorised hogworths.

I got into trains a few years back when the Santa fe sets were on the way out. The sets struck me as fantastically realistic. As Holodoc has spotted I had to convert one bunch of carriages to have a complete collection of 10022 and 10025 rolling stock - this is a separate thread for this. I then went about getting some other sets (slowly due to rocketing prices). My best deals were €1 each for 3 9v controllers from a toy shop here in Ireland and the acquisition of the cargo train for about a third of its value by haggling with another store over price given that the (last) box had been opened. A visit back to the store the following day to locate some missing train bases and loose bags and hey presto I'd got this fabulous set on the cheap. I'd have probably got more trains over the years except for my Star Wars habit which is where the bulk of my lego catch-up spend went after my Harry Potter completionist phase. As I'm a 9v fan I've no RC or 12v trains.

My train layout is dictated by the room layout with large window sills on each side of the room forming the end of the line which wraps around a star wars base MOC and my Hogworths layout on two tables. My one and only 9v MOC is an attempt at an Irish rail locomotive and engine which still needs some work. I'd post pics but my wife would be mortified given that the room needs a good tidy up.

train_resized.jpg

Anyway, that's my train story.

Edited by Dfenz

Guess it's time I also put down our nickname here as part of the EB Train Fan community.

As some of you might know, we're a couple from Bulgaria (Asya & Bobby) and up until a few months ago, we hadn't actually seen a LEGO train live. Ever since I've joined EB, TheBrickster has been convincing everyone around just how great Trains are... and even though I've always believed that, I never knew just how right he'd been. A real shame... but I eBay helped set that straight and now we own a modest 9V collection which we love to bits.

I ran our trains for the first time a couple of weeks ago, after we'd set up a small neighbourhood (Green Grocer + Market Street + a few of our MOCced structures & vehicles) and sat there for the whole day with a childish grin on my face. That was, quite simply, a dream come true. Here's a list of our Train sets - currently, all of our sets are from the 9V period and I think that's the primary system we'll be using with our city layout. Anyway, voila, our train sets:

4537.gif4537truc.gif4537 Octan Twin Tanker

4546.gif4546 Road and Rail Maintenance

a_10013_1.gif10013 Open Freight Wagon

10020.gif10020 Santa Fe Super Chief Engine

10133.gif10133 BNSF EMD GP-38 Locomotive

Accessories:

4520 Curved Rails x 4

4531 Straight Rails

4548 Transformer and Speed Regulator

10153 9V Train Motor

4837 Mini Trains :tongue:

I've been using Track Designer and BlueBrick to put together some future concepts regarding our future city (most MOCs and structures are just kept in cupboards until we find enough room for an actual city layout). So far, I have not made any Train MOCs - apart from modifying the Santa Fe engine a little bit in order to remove the front magnet and give it a more smooth, streamlined look. MOCcing a tram for the city currently tops my agenda, and for that I'm planning on getting the 10183 Hobby Trains set. That said, the 10194 Emerald Night is also a must, and I definitely love the looks of the 10173 Holiday Train as well. In addition, we must also get a few cars for our Santa Fe train, so we'll be quite busy hunting for good prices on those in the future ;)

As to the ongoing EB + Railbricks Train Tech Contest, I would have loved to be able to MOC something that I've had in my mind for a long time now. Unfortunately, I just don't have the right bricks for that right now - or enough time to dedicate to a train project which should take some trial and error seeing as I have never built a LEGO train of my own before. I will however most definitely complete that MOC someday soon, I hope.

A final word - THANK YOU to TheBrickster for setting up this forum within the EB community. I hadn't been able to log on for some time, but finding out that train fans now have a dedicated place to hang out right here @ EuroBricks was just a splendid surprise. Great job mate!

Edited by TheOtters

Hello all,

My name is Cagri, some of you may know me as Lego Adam from various Lego communities. I'm not interested in any particular theme actually, I build pretty much anything I like. But with this Train Tech Building Contest I have grown interest in train creations and I plan to build more once I acquire more train parts. Unfortunately I have never had any train sets in my 20 years of Lego enthusiasm. So I may be a little slow to pick things up, you'll have to excuse me for that. Here are the train related creations I have built so far:

end.jpg

tcdd.jpg

If you like them, count me in as a trainhead! More pictures of my MOCs can be found from these links below:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=lego-adam

http://www.flickr.com/photos/legoadam/

Dfenz, Otters, and Cagri:

It's great that you joined the train community here on Train Tech. You guys bring a lot to the table with your fine MOCs, Lego collections, and quality posts.

A final word - THANK YOU to TheBrickster for setting up this forum within the EB community. I hadn't been able to log on for some time, but finding out that train fans now have a dedicated place to hang out right here @ EuroBricks was just a splendid surprise. Great job mate!

Thank you Otters. I'm equally glad you like the train theme as well as town. We did have a lot of support from our EB admins, and members like I-Shadows and Hinckley, as well as RailBricks for donating a few contest prizes and helping publicize the contest. This makes it all possible. I also hope to see some other interesting train topics unrelated to the contest.

But with this Train Tech Building Contest I have grown interest in train creations and I plan to build more once I acquire more train parts.

That's great feedback Cagri. You build some really nice creations, so I look forward to seeing your future train creations.

Hi All,

I´m László Nagy and my nickname is Lezly. I´m a member of the MALUG. (Hungary)

I´m intressed in Lego since my childhood. I´m not only a train fun.

I´m intressed in TECHNIC, CITY/TOWN, MINDSTORMS category too. But I have lot of 9V train sets. Only 9V. I have collected the MISB 9V train sets too. My favorite train is the Metroliner with club car.

I live in Biatorbágy/Hungary. We have a "famous Viadukt" a train bridge.

My wife idee was, I should build this bridge made of LEGO.

And I would like apply to the Train Tech with this bridge.

Hi all,

I'm know as Nexus7, member of Polish community LUGPOL even though I'm currently based in US. I'm relatively new to TRAINS theme, my main interest is TOWN inspired by Cafe Corner. For few years now I've been working on my little town layout and finally reached the stage where some Train station was needed. I'm still to build my station but I managed to get me a few steam locomotives and some cars both passenger and goods.

Nice to meet y'all

This is my town:

1_panorama11.jpg

and one of my cars (Gvwhu):

01.jpg

06.jpg

Hey Nagy László and Nexus7 and welcome to Eurobricks and Train Tech! I'm glad that you guys decided to join us, the more train fans here the better. Nagy, do you have any photos of your bridge? If you are quick you could enter it in Category 3 of the Train Tech and Railbricks Contest! And Nexus, your town is looking great. Do those street lamps have LEDs in them?

Hi all,

I'm know as Nexus7, member of Polish community LUGPOL even though I'm currently based in US. I'm relatively new to TRAINS theme, my main interest is TOWN inspired by Cafe Corner.

Welcome to Eurobricks Nexus7. I've admired your buildings on Brickshelf for a long time. I particulaly like the bollard/fence technique on your Manekin Pis house. :wub:

alright never introduced myself

I'm gerrit

I've played with lego for my whole life, i never was much of an avid train fan till a few years ago

i started seriously building two years ago

you can see more on brickshelf

so yeah

Hi train fans,

Allow me to introduce myself: 26 years old from Denmark, member of Danish LUG Byggepladen and never went through a dark age.

I got my first train in the early 90's, it was the 4563:

4563.gif

I disassembled all my childhood sets some 10 years ago and started building my own creation, primarily train and town, lately with NXT automation.

Have a look in my Brickshelf folder.

Some highlights from my train creations:

The Beer Train

abfront.jpg_thumb.jpg

Simple Crossing using NXT (

)

abfront.jpg_thumb.jpg

Copenhagen Metro

abfronttrain4.jpg_thumb.jpg

Copenhagen S-train (

)

aball.jpg_thumb.jpg

Queensland Tilt Train

action1.jpg_thumb.jpg

Track Laying Machine (

... although some YouTube comments suggest it is stop motion :-)

aimg_5828.jpg_thumb.jpg

I came across the train building contest here at Eurobricks and joined. My entry was the London Overground.

Esben

Welcome Esben,

You have created some great mocs. The track laying system looks great. I guess with that video people do think it is a stop motion. However, if you use the orher (close up) video then you can see that it really works.

I also like the metro station, thats a very nice one.

Do you keep these mocs in a layout, or do you brak down everything when ypou build a new MOC ?

Hi Esben!

I really like your creations. I am really enjoying the current movement towards trams, metros and underground trains. I think your creations will inspire many more to follow in your footsteps. Great work! The track laying train is seriously cool too! I have never seen anyone build one of those before. Truly innovative!

Welcome to Train Tech! :sweet:

Finally getting around to making my intro . Have been interested in trains since i was a kid , Remember having train sets and Legos . Didnt have Lego sets mostly just tubs of bricks . Then can work, wife, kids and my dark ages . During that time computers came and brought train sims . Have a few of them and allowed me to get my fix of trains . Then about 2 years ago my sons bought me a Mindstorm set as a present . This lead to web searches that lead to finding some amazing Moc's .This renewed my interest in Legos . Then when i saw a Lego train i was totally hooked . This brought together a few of my interests in one place (trains, Legos and building things ). Been reading this site for a while and have learned much .Started with buying sets and have recently started trying my hand at moc's . Thanks for reading :)

Edited by Deanc

Welcome Deanc. I'm glad you decided to join EB and Train Tech. Hope you enjoy the board. I like your Mining Train (will comment later).

"Hi, I'm Freddie - I'm a train addict"

Well, at least partially - I really do like trains, possibly because its one of very few themes LEGO has where movement under own power is a key aspect of it. I've been fascinated by the power they display, and the grace that several passengers trains and even some hauling trains have - and LEGO trains I've been into ever since I got to play with my cousin's LEGO trains.

My reason for posting now, and not sooner (though I've been checking out the train forum, if only briefly) is due to a shift in my life, when going from student to actually have a job that earns me money, and the latter taking up several hours of my spare-time in just getting to work and home again.

Still, last weekend Brikkelauget had a display at Asker Kulturhus, in connection with the latter's five-year anniversary. With a majority being town builders, trains obviously had its presence: two 9V-loops, with the larger loop ironically being mainly used for a pair of Emerald Nights (working 1.5-hour shifts) hauling a six-metres(!) long mixed freight train. The idea was originally to have the larger loop used for a train modelled after a real one, but we ended up running endurance tests of the PF-systems instead, to the great joy of the public - especially the parents when they initally mention to the kids to check out the train's length as it comes rolling out of the tunnel, then start to realise that the train is indeed very, very long.

And the speed? I'm guesstimating it averaged 2-2,5cm/s, obviously going faster with a freshly charged battery and slower towards the end of the shift, when the other locomotive would reach full charge and would take over. It's a pity nobody took a movie of it - it was a majestic sight seeing a single locomotive pull a train that long at that pace - made a nice rumble and everything.

It was enough for us agreeing to construct a specific PF-loop for the next major, public display. We still agreed that it can't truly replace 9V, and as such we'll still have 9V-loops, it certainly deserves its own place next to it, because it certainly is worthy of use for displays.

EDIT: A picture of the entire display, with the freight train up front, is now up on brickshelf! A bit of caution though, since its 2266x685 pixels!

Edited by Freddie

I think that i may join the club :laugh:

Some of you already know that i have this Locomotive

10183a.jpg

Pity some bricks are missing i already e-mailed the seller but not yet no responce :pir-cry_sad:

Well it is not in first sight

see attachment

post-6117-1258115768.jpg

Welcome Andre - why don't you share a little bit about your train interest (and you definately need to get a train avatar :wink: ).

Here we go!

I was always intresseted in trains, real ones and model trains. Because a model train (like marklin or Lima) are very expencesive i start to looke around for an altertive and that became Lego trains. My favo trains are Cargo trains and my favorite locomotive is the Crocodil. The 4551 is also on my wishlist.

Frist i need to get more rails and wagons for my Crocodil.

I will get you up to date when i bought something new!

Greetings André

Though I'm mainly a sci-fi builder, the Trains of LEGO will always have a special place inside of me.

My older brother had one of the 90s cargo train sets, but he'd disassembled it. For Christmas, I got my very own train: That blue express train. Great starter pack, I think. Then I got a few of the My Own Train sets.

Then I moved away from Trains for a bit. In the 21st Century, I bought the Holiday Train set, and this year, the Emerald Night.