Its great to see more train fans on here, As manager of lego city rails i decided to add something new to my collection and that is a lego city rails headquarters with a train station built in and also with the interior like cafe corner, market street and green grocer with the stairs etc..

the bricks im using are pretty basic but all together as a featured product it would cost about 60 - 70 GBP

ALSO YOU CAN CHANGE THE SIGNS OVER FOR YOUR OWN COMPANY NAME, ALL YOU NEED IS TO CREATE YOUR SIGN LAYOUT AND PRINT IT ON STICKER PAPER.

I got into trains at the R/C level. I have the Cargo train, passenger train, and hobby train. The Hobby train is modified to use the R/C engine platform. I'll post pics at some point. My City is in about 20 boxes since I moved last week. :(

Same for me, I own the cargo and passenger train, however I do not have the hobby, but the holiday train. I also have a lot of custom built material, but also in boxes due to a change of houses.

I also motorised the holiday train with RC using 2 motors. This one runs aorund our tree every year :classic:

img_3315_resize.jpg

ive wanted a train for ages, i used to build trains with car wheels untill i got the rc cargo train, that and some track are the only train sets i have, yet i love building trains, i have limited space and i cant build a complete loop so ive built my self a bridge to link my desk and my draws to give me a layout, my first engine is in the works(the works are also under construction) and its useing PF, its a chalenge for a first loco but ill manage, :sweet: .

Suggestion: should we maybe note in the registry who's using what scales? As in:

->6-wide

->8-wide

->10-wide

->~1/40 exact (10-wide and longer-length)

Suggestion: should we maybe note in the registry who's using what scales?

I was actually considering adding something about each person, like 12V, 9V, RC, or PF collector, but decided not to because many of us cross train types and building styles.

I like trains and should really do up a train layout. But I just have never had the space or the permanancy to do it. Plus I've decided not to buy any train stuff to save money... But I do think trains are fun. We've got a historic/vintage trainyard that runs steam and diesel engines in town and I really like hearing the whistle throughout the day.

Maybe I'll run down to the yard this weekend and take some pictures... I've been meaning to do it for a while now...

Steve

My future layout is an oval track that runs aside the "RC Train Station" and behind that you have the Lego Exclusives "Cafe Corner" and "Green Grocer" along with my newest design Office Block.

Here is a link to our local train yard.

Athos: it's great to have you participating on Train Tech. For those of you who don't know Athos, he's one of the older members of EB, and has always been a great contributor. :thumbup:

In regard to the Nevada Northern, isn't there some sort of "Ghost Train" around those parts?

Trains I have always enjoyed having they have been a great addition to City!

Plus who doesn't like a LEGO train running around their city? :classic:

City is my primary favorite theme, along with Trains as a subtheme.

I first got a Lego Train in 1999, it was my beloved Railway Express (as a gift)

a_4561_1.gif

Now of course it isn't the most awesome LEGO Train ever designed but it will always have a special place in my heart. I remember all the nice little features it had, the loader ramp, the 4 wide cars, the movie and dining area, all such great fun! And those 9V promo ads it came with are extremely nostalgic to me. Such great layouts and I used to dream about having one like it some day.

In 2006 I went to the Glendale Galleria Lego Store and once again bought a train

a_4511a.gif

It was the High speed train locomotive. I paid about $40 for it, which was very high as the release price was cheaper and I could not afford the passenger wagon . I modified it a bit to run with a 9V motor, but took it apart because I didn't have the bley boogies. , it was nice but nothing like my Railway Express. I longed for the days of a long passenger train and station.

Future Trains

For the lack of 9V around me, I have decided to embrace PF & RC Trains, and mainly convert all my future trains to the system. I have yet to own one plastic track but will soon hopefully. I hope to work on my Train Collection alot this year, Maersk Container Train, Emerald Night Express, and also past greats I missed out like the Santa Fe Super Chief and Train Engine Shed. If any kind fellow collectors have any extras of them and are willing to sell please send me a PM.

- BNSF (& TTX)

- Train Engine Shed

- Super Chief (& Cars)

- Level Crossing

Edited by Macoco

Hello fellow train fans. Although I consider myself a train fan I have only bought two train sets, High speed train and the second Hogwarts Express. I also built with my parts almost an exact copy of the My Own Train engine. After getting the hight speed train for christmas in about 2003 I stopped building trains until I took a ride on the MBTA and decided I should bring out my old sets. Over the years I had lost one curve track and the motor so I just built a car on a small section of straight track from the parts of the Hight Speed Train and set it up behind my modular buildings. After seeing an article on Eurobricks by The Brickster I decided to build another train and I built the My Own Train engine from a picture. I also found the motor and bought another track piece so I could still power it. When the contest started I decided to build an engine for the the train car I had built and after I take pictures I will enter it so you can all see it. Just recently I also bought the Hogwarts Express. I now have two MOCed trains, and the Hogwarts Express with only the oval track. I will probably eventually get more track but for now my only layout is the oval track.

Hi Train fans! :classic:

I must admit that I am not into trains much at all. Even though I am very lucky to have such marvelous classic train sets such as the Metroliner, Load & Haul Railroad, 2150 Train Station, and others, I don't enjoy playing with them as much as with other Lego themes. All you can do with trains is put a track together, watch your train roll along it, and maybe think up some stories that happen around the train. I also find it somewhat boring to MOC trains since they are usually pretty symmetric and small. Due to their size, there is not much detail you can add to the wagons. The only interesting part of a trains to me is the engine which is usually rather detailed.

Of course that's just how I see it, and you guys probably strongly disagree with me on this, but I'm just saying how I feel. :wink:

However, I do understand the charm of trains, and I will gladly participate in the contest. I have some great ideas, and despite my disinterest in trains, I must admit that the Emerald Night is a fantastic set, and I wont pass up a chance to win this beauty :wub: even though I probably have little chances since this will be my first time MOCing a train. :sad: I'll still try my best. :thumbup:

Edited by Oky Wan Kenobi

Athos: it's great to have you participating on Train Tech. For those of you who don't know Athos, he's one of the older members of EB, and has always been a great contributor. :thumbup:

Thanks for the kind words.

In regard to the Nevada Northern, isn't there some sort of "Ghost Train" around those parts?

That's the one. They just call it the ghost train. Someday I'm going to go take a ride, when I have an extra $40 or so I don't want to spend on Lego...

Steve

Well, I'm a huge legotrainfan too. Exspecially the 12v trains form 1981-1991. Why, because I'm form 1978 and these trains were available in my childhood. When I compare the possibilities of 12v with 9v, 9v is a less fun to play with. 12v trains have remote controlled switches, signals and crossovers. In this way you can control everything form one spot, which you can see here:

i_-_contolpanel_with_9v_switches.jpg_thumb.jpg

I'm also busy to make remote controlled signals and swtches for 9v. Well, I've those already :tongue: .

Well, I think it's clear I'm a train fan. The trains I have as set:

7710.gifRuns on 12v

7722.gif

7745.gif2 times

7755.gif

7760.gif

7810.gifRuns in 12v

7735.gif2 times, 1 on 12v and 1 on 9v

7715.gifRuns on 12v

10022-aus.gif10022-sp_1.gif10022-sch_1.gif10025-gep.gifa_10025-pos_1.gif10020-1.gifa_10020.gif

7740.gif

7730.gif

7720.gifRuns on 12v

4511b.gif4511a.gif

7727.gif

7725.gif

10183a.gifRebuild to 12v

3225.gifRebuild to 12v

4558.gif

7750.gif

10133.gifRebuild to a white one on 12v:

g_-_gp-38_after_building_-3.jpg_thumb.jpg

10173e.gif10173d.gif10173c.gif10173b.gif10173a.gifRebuild to 12v

10194b.gif10194a.gifRebuild to 12v

6399-0.gif

And a blue, yellow and black version of 7725.

i_-_blue__red_and_yellow_7725_-2.jpg_thumb.jpg

j_-_right_view_death_train.jpg_thumb.jpg

A spiderman train for 9v:

24-4855.jpg_thumb.jpg

A real Hogwarts train look-a-like 7750 at 12v offcourse

a_-_right_view_hp7750.jpg_thumb.jpg

And a wadloper, a train that ran in north of Holland till end 2008 on 12v:

19_-_de_waloper_-1.jpg_thumb.jpg

If you want to see more, check my layout at brickshelf:

9-own-design-b.jpg_thumb.jpg

Edited by Panda9001100

Please register me. I'm a very big Lego Trains fan, but I don't have got any Trains sets. :sad: But I will buy 4558 Metroliner tomorrow, and then I will build some 9V trains!!! :laugh: On my wish list are also Emerald Night and Holiday Train. :classic:

Edited by Dr Kilroy

Hi Train Fans!

I only recently got my first true train set, the Emerald Night. I loved the original Space Monorail when I was a kid, but most of the 9V sets came out in my dark ages. I've recently been working on a cargo train inspired by some of the Lego classics for TTCE. Once I'm satisfied with the locomotive, I'll post pictures.

Hello fellow train fans, greetings from Slovenia. I have been following EB forum for over a year now and I very much like the recent development of train section (with traintech). I am also a member of our local club, kocke.si, but since lego trains are not that common in Slovenia I really enjoy to read all the stuff from all lego train "fanatics" here.

I started my Lego collection with Metroliner in last November. Soon after that I purchased Hobby Train set, together with a lot of extra parts which enables me to have 5 or more sets built in the same time. After few months I bought some more of the track (unfortunately I dont have space for large permanent setut, but I plan on something like Brickster has), second Metroliner and Engine from set 4563.

After Lego announced Emerald Night I was very excited and I bought it as soon as I could. A few days ago I got SFSC and now my main goal is to get cars for it, which will unfortunatetly take some more time, doe to the prices.

My current collection:

p8290183.jpg

p82901841.jpg

I also have some freight cars, but they are currently disassembled.

Swiss crocodile (from hobby trains)

p82901851.jpg

Emerald Night (with 4-6-4 configuration and 9v motor in tender)

p82901871.jpg

Santa Fe Super Chief

p8290193.jpg

BNSF (from Hobby Trains - I plan to change the colour scheme, because this red black configuration is reall ugly)

p8290198.jpg

Simple steam train from my new years layout (from Hobby Trains)

p8290201.jpg

Then there are two modications with wchich I am not reaaly satisfied so I will disassemble them soon.

This I engine from 4563 extended to the length of the engine from 4512

p8290203.jpg

And this is from some parts of engine from 7898 which got for a few euro (incomplete) in some shop in Munchen

p8290204.jpg

I modded my two metroliners in three "pullman" wagons, but they are too long so I also plan to make somethins else from them.

p8290205.jpg

Welcome Cwetqo. That's quite a collection of sets and MOCs.

I particularly like the train pictured in your New Years layout.

Reminds me of this LGB-inspired MOC I shared as a building tip:

01.jpg

13.jpg

Both of these designs are based on 3225 Classic Train. The tan looks nice with the bright colors.

Looking at your train, it reminds me of an LGB starter set. Nice! :thumbup:

Thnx, Bonester!

At first there was cargo version, but after I got some more windows I modified it into passanger train.

vlak15.jpg

And running around christmas tree:

tree.jpg

Currently I'm more into Western theme, and since I am building 1,5mx2,5m layout for our next LUG meeting, I will probably modify it into Wild West version (with medium BBB wheels)

Welcome to

LogoBOD2_50.gif

My website (click logo above) details most of my Train MOCs and layouts. Lego trains are the reason I left the dark ages. I bought my first set (4563) in 1992. The rest of my purchasing history is occasionally recorded here. Lots of photo's, track layouts and movies on my website. Here are some from my public exhibit in 2008.

m8_img_1994_thmb.jpgm8_dsc08564_thmb.jpg m8_img_2011_thmb.jpg

My last major MOC is a twin train bridge.

100_7657_thmb.jpg

Hello everyone !

My apologies for posting late but I experienced problems registering in August. Thanks to Mark Larson for helping me get in !

I'm really encouraged to see the new Train Tech forum. As one of those builders who spends countless hours working through design problems, I appreciate the value of having a focused area where builders can share solutions as a community.

I became fascinated with LEGO 12v trains at a Chicago LEGO promotion in 1978. This led to a lifelong interest in railroads and 26 years experience building scale HO, Z and military models. In 1994 I came out of my 'dark ages' and built "The Royal Train" Lego train layout which was featured in Railbricks Issue#4. In 2001 I became a founding member of the Northern Illinois LEGO Train Club. The last couple years I've been focusing almost exclusively on my Indiana Jones models , partly because of the wealth of period trains featured in the movies and TV series (my Circus Train is featured in Railbricks Issue #6.

Why Lego Trains? Well, personally its a great blend of art and engineering. There is great satisfaction when you take a bunch of little blocks and suddenly discover just the right combination to make them look like something real... or fit together in just the right way. But I also like exhibiting at model railroad shows and getting kids/families interested in railroading too.

- BMW

post-7356-1252684374.jpg post-7356-1252684386.jpg

G'day BMW, and welcome to Eurobricks and Train Tech! Your models have and will continue to inspire many train fans so I'm overjoyed that you have joined us.

Enjoy your stay. :thumbup:

Hi BMW. It's great to have you join us here on Train Tech. You've been one of my personal favorite builders with your Train and Indy creations. I think you may have seen a few of my comments to your fantastic MOCs on Flickr. In any case, I am really pleased that you decided to join Eurobricks, especially Train Tech as your first forum. I look forward to seeing more of your creations as well as your posts here in Train Tech. :classic:

Hello everyone, I am Selander from Sweden and here are some words about me:

History:

My Lego train interest started already in the early 1970’s. I remember I was eagerly studying brochures with pictures of 12V trains (from the blue era) and dreaming of having my own some day. I later got set 171, (also from the blue era) which could be powered with the 4,5V Lego motor and a battery wagon just behind.

After passing my dark ages, I re-discovered Lego trains (now 9V) in the mid 1990’s, and my very first purchase was freight train set 4564 and some extra tracks. After that, my collection quickly grew with crane set 4552, cherry picker 4541, snow remover 4533 and manual crossing 4532 and later another freight train set 4565.

After that sets have been constantly coming in, I’ve got multiples of all My-own-train items, several Santa-Fe locomotives and wagons, as well as the BNSF engine. My most modern-looking Lego train is the High-speed-train 4511 incl an extra wagon 10158 and another loco 10157 to form a complete set.

After that I didn’t buy any Lego original train set until the Emerald night came only this year…..

Building MOC’s:

Around 2003-2004, I discovered Lego trains clubs and forums (mostly from USA) on internet, and I was particularly fond of some German inspired James Mathis designed MOC:s, so I decided to start trying to make something similar. I quickly found out that building MOC’s was super interesting, as you have to do a lot of research, thinking and planning.

When creating MOC’s I normally start by studying pictures of real locomotives, and try to choose only those which are possible to replicate reasonably well in Lego. (i.e avoiding very rounded designs) I then start making simple hand sketches of critical details and overall proportions, and then gradually use some CAD (Autocad) to be able to draw in correct scale, to see that proportions look good.

As skills (hopefully) enhanced with practice, I decided to start building Swedish locomotives, as I found out there was almost no one doing that.

My philosophy is to only design train MOC’s in 6-wide, for several reasons:

6-wide is the Lego original width, hence it is easy to combine MOC’s and Lego originals.

6-wide means it is more challenging to recreate designs looking like those in real life.

6-wide means lower weight, and fewer pieces needed, hence lowering price.

Check out some of my designs here:

Visit My Website