Welcome @Blacktron2 Interesting setup with the spaceship hovering over the tracks. I see some classics in your layout. Hopefully the twins enjoy LEGO and your space increases.

Hi,

i am new to this lego train MOC Building. i started my first project as a WAGR W class Steam locomotive, currently that project is about to finish the design stage and i now have to find the funds to build it. i mainly like to build old steam locomotives and diesel locomotives from my local area, Western Australia. i am also in the progress of building a transportable Lego layout so i can take it to model train shows (We only really have 1 train show/expo a year here sadly) and display it at other spots. it is currently only 3 large baseplates long, but i have plans to make it an oval / cube like layout so i can run a double mainline. there are a couple other people in WA that build Custom train MOCs, mainly from our passenger network (Transperth), but i like to build historic stuff such as the steam trains. i have plans after my W class is done, to start a WAGR Y class, XA Class and S Class (steam).

Hope you enjoy that little story about what i do and like lol.

G'day. Bit of a lurker these past few weeks but finally made an account.

31 years old, from Whanganui, New Zealand. Never had lego as a kid.

Have discovered lego trains recently and have descended in to the mad world of third party lego compatible track and accessories.

Picked up a couple of sets of 60197 to get myself started which I extended and modified based on some pictures I found around youtube. Recently picked up a second hand 60337 and have built a MOC kiwirail engine based on some plans I picked up online - again ended up modifying to suit my desires. 

I've since discovered automation (I have no background in electronics whatsoever) but am fascinated. I have so many questions... 

Anyway I'll get to answering those questions in due course. For now my most burning question is as follows.

I have two sets of 60197. They are back to back with one motor contained on each engine at the end of the train. Effectively one pushing and one pulling. But as I said earlier, I have extended the original lego sets, resulting in more weight. I figured out how to sync the two motors using the lego controller so no problem operating the train that way. But now I have used pybricks to automate one and its working great (In truth my friend is very good with pybricks and did all the work). But my train is too heavy so I can only operate it with a reduced amount of carriages and I'm not sure on how to sync with the second motor using pybricks, or if it is even possible or particularly easy/difficult. 

Perhaps there is a better alternative in such a situation?

Any advice on this subject is gratefully received. 

Hi! Tried to register back in 2020 and again in 2021 but wasn't able to due to issues with the login page never sending the confirmation email (even though I haven't changed my email provider since years before then). Lego's a bit too rich a hobby for me but I like seeing what other people make, maybe one day I'll build something of my own and post pictures here.

On 5/18/2023 at 8:22 PM, Trainanatic said:

Hi,

i am new to this lego train MOC Building. i started my first project as a WAGR W class Steam locomotive, currently that project is about to finish the design stage and i now have to find the funds to build it. i mainly like to build old steam locomotives and diesel locomotives from my local area, Western Australia. i am also in the progress of building a transportable Lego layout so i can take it to model train shows (We only really have 1 train show/expo a year here sadly) and display it at other spots. it is currently only 3 large baseplates long, but i have plans to make it an oval / cube like layout so i can run a double mainline. there are a couple other people in WA that build Custom train MOCs, mainly from our passenger network (Transperth), but i like to build historic stuff such as the steam trains. i have plans after my W class is done, to start a WAGR Y class, XA Class and S Class (steam).

Hope you enjoy that little story about what i do and like lol.

On 5/23/2023 at 2:10 AM, Andkat said:

G'day. Bit of a lurker these past few weeks but finally made an account.

31 years old, from Whanganui, New Zealand. Never had lego as a kid.

Have discovered lego trains recently and have descended in to the mad world of third party lego compatible track and accessories.

Picked up a couple of sets of 60197 to get myself started which I extended and modified based on some pictures I found around youtube. Recently picked up a second hand 60337 and have built a MOC kiwirail engine based on some plans I picked up online - again ended up modifying to suit my desires. 

I've since discovered automation (I have no background in electronics whatsoever) but am fascinated. I have so many questions... 

Anyway I'll get to answering those questions in due course. For now my most burning question is as follows.

I have two sets of 60197. They are back to back with one motor contained on each engine at the end of the train. Effectively one pushing and one pulling. But as I said earlier, I have extended the original lego sets, resulting in more weight. I figured out how to sync the two motors using the lego controller so no problem operating the train that way. But now I have used pybricks to automate one and its working great (In truth my friend is very good with pybricks and did all the work). But my train is too heavy so I can only operate it with a reduced amount of carriages and I'm not sure on how to sync with the second motor using pybricks, or if it is even possible or particularly easy/difficult. 

Perhaps there is a better alternative in such a situation?

Any advice on this subject is gratefully received. 

5 hours ago, Gadg8eer said:

Hi! Tried to register back in 2020 and again in 2021 but wasn't able to due to issues with the login page never sending the confirmation email (even though I haven't changed my email provider since years before then). Lego's a bit too rich a hobby for me but I like seeing what other people make, maybe one day I'll build something of my own and post pictures here.

Welcome to Train Tech @trainiac, @Andkat, and @Gadg8eer!

On 5/25/2023 at 12:29 PM, Gadg8eer said:

you can build digitally. all you need is a pc/mac (laptop will suffice) and you have ALL the bricks and can build whatever you want.

Hey everyone!

I'm GPM, 21 years old and I'm from the Netherlands.
I've been a huge fan of LEGO all my life. Since getting into college I've only had time to build sets but never really had the time to build MOC's.
Last year I had some time to spare and decided to check out BL Studio. After having made some designs I dusted off my old boxes of LEGO and found that I could build one of my designs almost completely with the pieces I had.
Since then I've fallen in love with building MOC's again and I can't stop anymore :D
I've been active on Flickr a bit, but wanted some more discussions, so here I am!

Hi,

I grew up not more than an hours drive from the original Legoland in Billund and we had boxes of it. About 3 years ago, In 2020, I got seriously back into Lego and since also other brands of compatible building bricks.

Model railroad was always something, I loved, already as a kid. My godfather had a basement full with a Märklin H0 system.

As my son got old enough, not to destroy my Lego sets and actually do something with Lego, it got evident, that I'd venture into L-gauge.

I own the following train related sets:

4559 - Cargo Railway
7937 - Train Station
10020 - (x4) Santa Fe EMD F7
10022 - (x4) Dining car, sleeper and observation railcar. I also have the pleasure dome railcar, that James Mathis created, but Lego never released.
10025 - (x2) Post and baggage car
10133 - BNSF cargo loco
10219 - Maersk container train
10277 - Swiss crocodile
10233 - (x2) Horizon Express
10308 - Holiday Main Street
60050 - (x2) Train Station
60051 - High-Speed Passenger Train (ICE) + 2 extra rail cars, one being a two story passenger car
60052 - Cargo Train
60098 - Red diesel loco
60197 - (x2) Passenger Train (EuroStar)
60198 - (x2) Cargo Train
60335 - Train Station
60336 - Freight Train
60337 - (x2) Passenger Express Train
71044 - Disney Train and Station
75955 - Hogwarts Express
76405 - Hogwarts Express UCS
76423 - Hogwarts Express and Hogmeads station
910002 - Studgate Train Station

Additionally, I've build a couple alternative sets like the Mould King Mallard Express (disaster !!), BlueBrixx BR103 Rheingold + Rheingold carriages in 8W (love them), BlueBrixx 8W Crocodile, BlueBrixx V100 and a lot of the rolling stock, that BlueBrixx has.

I stuck all of that on a massive track, which can be seen here: 

And am in the process of building a city now with a mix of Lego, BlueBrixx and Kalos buildings.

I am currently building the full set of Santa Fe El Capitan carriages, as designed by James Mathis and I've tried to MOC an EMD FP45 together, so that I also have something else to tow those carriages, than just the usual EMD F7, which is shown in this thread: 

Additionally, I've also build 2 of the F7B B-units.

/M

Edited by Marlow
Added more.

Hello Everyone

I've been building LEGO since forever and I've always loved trains and technic.
I have a few of the more recent trains with a highlight being my horizon express I guess.

Today I finished my first train moc and I wanna share it and maybe get feedback on it. its supposed to be a Polish EP08.

I plan to hopefully have a whole shelf of my own mocs.

Lwol

ep08 Prototype_2.jpg

Welcome Lwol564! And a very nice MOC you've got there. Why don't you start a new thread for the MOC so that you can give more background on the locomotive and all the interchange will be together in its own place

Hi all! Have been registered at the forum for quite a while but not that active in reading and/or posting stuff. I have always have had a fascination with trains overall but most for Lego trains. Started with and old train that was passed down from my older brother (with blue tracks) and has grown to a cool collection of trains that are custom, sold by Lego and I am trying to design my own trains. 

The plan is to have a nice track that get's integrated in the city that I am building on my attic. Hope to enjoy every post about trains here!