Hi !

As a kid, in the late1980's-early 1990's, Lego were my favorite toys (well, I was a little bit into Playmobil too, especially Western). Most of my Lego sets back then were Castle, with some City, Space and Pirates here and there. But I didn't own any train, though I really wanted one and I remember drooling over them while looking at the Lego catalogues.

So, a few years ago, when I came out from my dark ages, I decided to purchase a Lego train, then another one, and a train station, and another train again, etc.

Now, here is my collection : I am the proud owner of the 60098 Heavy-Haul train, the 60052 Cargo train (X2), the 7898 Cargo train deluxe, the 7939 Cargo train, the 3677 Red Cargo train, the 7938 Passenger train, the 60051 High-speed Passenger train, the 60050 Train station (X2), the 7937 Train station, the 10233 Horizon Express (X2), the 10219 Maersk train, and of course I also bought numerous additional tracks.

Here are some pics of my layout that I put in an empty room of my flat :

eUEIGaM.jpg

ctk07Kt.jpg

Q25h8jV.jpg

And here is a video I made :

Hi @all!

I am new here at Eurobricks and wanted to introduce myself briefly. As a young child, I loved playing with the colorful bricks. My focus was particularly on the city themes and knights. A few years ago I became a father and so recently the old boxes with the colored bricks were brought out of the parental cellar. Since my son likes trains, especially steam locomotives, I wanted to build his own steam locomotive for Christmas. So I started with the LDD last year and since then the passion is back. I am pleased to be here.

Welcome to the community both! It's good to see new faces (or at least avatars :grin:), I was one only a year ago.

@Charette That's a good layout, and a perfectly sized space to fit it in. Seeing as you have 2x 60052, have you considered joining the gantry cranes together, either as a longer one or a wider one?

@FLBRICKS That's one way to start! I look forward to seeing more MOCs from you.

On 1/20/2018 at 4:22 PM, Charette said:

Now, here is my collection : I am the proud owner of the 60098 Heavy-Haul train, the 60052 Cargo train (X2), the 7898 Cargo train deluxe, the 7939 Cargo train, the 3677 Red Cargo train, the 7938 Passenger train, the 60051 High-speed Passenger train, the 60050 Train station (X2), the 7937 Train station, the 10233 Horizon Express (X2), the 10219 Maersk train, and of course I also bought numerous additional tracks.

And here is a video I made :

<didn't quote video, but comment below is based upon it...>

Based on that video, you need to implement signal blocks and Positive Train Control!!!   :laugh:    In all seriousness, welcome aboard, Charette!

Hi Guys,

I am active here on Eurobricks quite some time, but I just not realized that there is such a cool introduction thread targeting the train addicts here :grin:. Now I have found it, I'd like to introduced me here also.

I was always addicetd somehow to trains. As far as I can remember, my first Legoset I got when I was a child, was this great train set: 7720

After that, I got some additional train set, but unfortunatly never a 12V set. This may have resulted in the fact that I had quite a big H0 Model railway. After my dark ages I started with Technic, Star Wars and the Modular buildings. And it was quite obivious, I needed some City for the Modulars to display them. And you know, a real Lego City needs a train, point! :laugh:

So it dind't take long to come up with my first Layout. But this layout was just a poor try and I wanted a more sofisticated and eleborated one. So I teared the whole thing down and startet in a new room from scratch. At the time writing this post, the layout is in a WIP state and quite far from being finished (is such a thing ever finished? ). But it is fun every day I find the time to work on it.

I also have a thread here on Eurobricks, where I let you know the status of the Layout and on what I am currently working: Linkt to the Thread.

I'd like to also show you some Pictures and a Video directly here in this thread (you can find way more pictures of the layout in my bricksafe folder and some additional videos in my youtube channel):

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

If youre interesetd in some detailed informations on the layout, please look into my thread about it. Please also feel free to leave comment there.

BR, Guenther

On 23/01/2018 at 4:28 PM, icemorons said:

Based on that video, you need to implement signal blocks and Positive Train Control!!!   :laugh:    In all seriousness, welcome aboard, Charette!

Yeah, it's quite hard to run alone and simultaneously several trains without see them derailing or bumping into each other. I guess I could find some useful technical tips on this forum.

On 21/01/2018 at 9:50 PM, ColletArrow said:

@Charette That's a good layout, and a perfectly sized space to fit it in. Seeing as you have 2x 60052, have you considered joining the gantry cranes together, either as a longer one or a wider one?

Yes, it's a good idea, I should try that. For now, I've just built the second one in a "mirrored" way.

Anyway thank you all for your comments and your welcome.

Edited by Charette

Hello!

I'm a new member on this site, but I've lurked around for a while. I currently have five official train sets (if you count the Hogwarts Express as one) and several built MOCs, including the Horizon Express and the Metroliner. There's plenty more in LDD and Stud.io that may eventually get built as well. I've always found this site to be a great inspiration when building MOCs and look forward to see everything you guys & gals have to share!

I´ve been reading here for quite some time but thought I´ve give a proper introduction...

I am 39, from Dortmund, Germany. My first train was the 7722 which I got as a christmas present back in - I think it was - 1986. I still own that specific train to this date. I think it was a year later that I converted this to 12V. Some longer pauses in between - I never lost touch to the Lego world as I now (beside the 7722) own two 12V 7715s plus a spare 12V 7715 locomotive, a 7725, a 7735, three 7740, a 7745, a 7755 and an older 12V 725 which was the train my wife had as a child. I consider myself a 12V fan and still keep my 80s Lego City stuff for complementing the train layouts. I do own most of the train-related stuff from that era nowadays like the 7824, 7839, 7823 sets as well as two 7866 crossings and the 6399 monorail which I bought just last year.

I am happy to share my Lego train fun with my now 4-year old son. For him his Duplo train didn´t cut it anymore so he now uses some simple MOC trains of his own on some older 12V tracks. While looking awfully funny, I think using Lego and building your own stuff can´t be bad for enhancing skills and abilities for kids.

So much information, and much interesting stuff on this forum, I am happy to contribute every once in a while. :-)

Hello all,

I have just recently gotten back into lego, maybe the past year or 2. Picking up a few sets I liked here and there and having a good time building again. A couple weeks ago I jumped head first in 9V trains with a huge lot I could not pass up. I think I ended up with at least 1 if not more of each of the 9V train sets plus multiple stations, crossings, 2x train repair shop ect. ect. all individually packed up in a plastic tote with all accessories and instruction manuals. 

As of right now I have started building a city on a 5x10 table but best case scenario I can only fit 4 trains on the table at a time. I have one more table coming which will be strictly a rail and freight yard to hold the trains.

I am looking forward to learning all there is to know about 9V trains and building my city around them. Next step is saving up to get a few modulars to get the city started and keep sorting through the bins to see what other builds i find hidden in the boxes.

I added a few pictures below of my very simple layout i built this weekend as well as a few pictures to show the size of the massive haul of trains.

Looking forward to learning lots going forward.

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

800x600.jpg

Great find.  Looks like from someone who took care of their LEGO. 

Hello all,

I sort of wanted to avoid introductory topic, as I just wanted to lurk here and browse the MOCs for inspiration. But then, the sheer awesomness of those builds, and the fact this community is still thriving (even in the age when some communities, based on "traditional" boards are dying due to Facebook/Reddit/whatnot), led me to realization it might make sense to do so :)

I'm Bartosz, I'm 32, and it looks like that thing, commonly described as "coming out of dark age" is happening to me :D When I was young, I only had couple of small Lego sets, definitely not trains, but I absolutely loved playing with it. The fact I didn't own too much had various consequences - it definitely required a bit of creativity to get anything done, but it also left me unfullfiled, and, it might be the case, this is what's driving me now towards obtaining more bricks :)

Anyway, I started to cautiously point my kids (6 and 3 years old) into direction of Lego, because, in the times when they can have so many toys, I found that I'm missing the toys that can be rebuilt, extended and used for more than only couple of hours after being bought...so far I hadn't got much luck, they are not yet playing Lego on their own (which makes me sad), but the side effect is that I (while still attempting to guide them to this kind of play) became hooked :)

Ah, but we're in trains subforum, yeah - that's what I'm planning to - I kind of want to put emphasis on trains first. It happened partially because my father-in-law owns a TT model, and he was wondering if kids could pick that up (at some point). We realized that, while Lego is definitely not cheap, those could be even more expensive, and are (in my opinion) more limiting than Lego - you can build pretty realistic dioramas, but I gather that's not really what kids would like to do ;)

Thanks again to all people involved, and especially to all people sharing their wonderful creations!

"Hi, my name is weeble1688 and I play with Lego trains" ... Wow, I don't know how I missed introducing myself here - I've only been on EB for 8 years or so!  I am in my 40s and I work at a school as well as working part-time at my local Lego Brand Retail Store.  I am a confirmed town & train maniac (train-iac?), although I'll raid freely from nearly every theme Lego has ever made.  I modify existing sets to my liking especially the Modular buildings, have many more ideas than time to make them all :sceptic:, and usually build MOCs very slowly (though I once created a modular building in less than 8 hours while at an event - we needed 1 more for the display!).  Usually my train cars are way too heavy and/or need more accuracy the first time I build them, but hopefully I will get over these bumps one day. 

I grew up playing with Classic Space and some Town sets - my dad had the train thing cornered with O-gauge.  I didn't get into Lego trains until I was an AFOL; my first set was #4561 which I picked up on clearance - wonder why? :tongue:  But it gave me the starter stuff I needed to start making other train cars, etc. Now I am part of a LUG and contribute buildings, 9V & PF trains, vehicles and other stuff to the group displays at exhibitions & conventions.  I also play with the Star Wars theme, including making stuff for the LUG's SW collaborative work too.

I love all the inspiration and innovation I find here in this forum - so many wonderful MOCs, new ideas for continuing 9V track, expanding radii & switches, and motorization/lighting of trackside stuff.  Thank you all for these great ideas and techniques!

Hello to you all. I have been reading a lot on the train tech forum for the last few weeks. As an afol I'm following the mainpage of eurobricks for many years now. Just to know what's going on in the vast lego community. As a child my interests were castle and space. I came out of my dark ages the day I opened my lego boxes after moving out of my parental house (some 15 years ago now). I was wondering if they were still complete. In that way I rolled into ebay and bricklink and so on. Through the years I collected quite some lego, primarily castle theme. With my kids we bought also new lego sets. By doing so I picked up some 4,5 V lego motors and battery boxes (no sets), two 9 V sets (one complete 4559 and one incomplete 4560 ; not the most wanted but ok), a hogwarts express and the Toy Story train. After buying lego for years now and storing it set by set, my children and I decided some months ago to bring all our lego together and start building. We are still organizing it but also started building now. Train is the first thing we are going to do. And our choice fell on the 4,5 V system. From this system we have enough blue rails. So probably I"ll be posting the next months about 4,5 V (blue era) trains. I hope that there are still some builders out there who are interested in 4,5 V trains and can give some useful tips. Our first goal is the simplest of all layouts: 3x3 baseplates (32 studs) with blue rails on ballast (one circle). You'll get the theme immediately when seeing my posts. We hope we can finish it! I want to end by thanking everyone who is sharing their experience here: it's very instructive.  

(We also have lego train 7938 ; always forgetting that one.)    

Edited by pelle

Hello,

I've been looking on the forums for a while but just recently joined! I'm an engineering student with a passion for Lego trains. I run my trains on an overhead wall mounted track that goes around the entire room. I'm currently in the process of organizing my Lego collection for more efficient building. I'm excited to contribute and follow the Lego train community!

For enjoyment I've add a picture of the wall mounted track!

-- Unfinished_Projects

image000000_01.jpg

2 hours ago, Unfinished_Projects said:

Hello,

I've been looking on the forums for a while but just recently joined! I'm an engineering student with a passion for Lego trains. I run my trains on an overhead wall mounted track that goes around the entire room. I'm currently in the process of organizing my Lego collection for more efficient building. I'm excited to contribute and follow the Lego train community!

-- Unfinished_Projects

image000000_01.jpg

Welcome the the club!  There's great conversations, tips and lots of photos.  Everyone is friendly, and willing to help. Be forewarned though...it can be very addicting.  Enjoy your time here.

Brian

4 hours ago, Unfinished_Projects said:

Hello,

-- Unfinished_Projects

Welcome aboard, Unfinished_Projects.  :classic:

Hello guys i like to introduce myself to the train world

My first trains that i had werent actually lego ones but rather model trains.

But i have had a passion with lego in those times too but i never had ones in my childhood.

as i was getting older i searched around the internet and eventually discovered some beautiful train mocs

and i thougt i could do that too. One day someone was selling wagon axles on ebay for cheap and well, i couldnt resist i had to buy them and just a month later i purchased the lego pf train motor and remote from amazon  but i didnt like that i had to buy so many batterys for the batterybox so i looked around the internet and learned everything about the history of lego trains and i discovered the 9v train system with the metal rails and i bought some tracks from ebay for cheap from someone who had no idea what he was selling. But then i realized i would need another motor aswell and they are way too expensive so i thought to build my own power pickups like my model trains had. So i took some pieces from an old rf shield and modified them to work like power pickups and this solution works till this day and i never have to change my batterys again. the train is running from my old 12v model train transformer wich i never set to full power of course. thats the story on how i did get into lego trains

XGBC

yes i do and sometimes i mix both worlds together. Thats why my username is XGBC

XGBC

I've been a lurker here for since September last year when my wife encouraged me to buy my first train sets (60197 and 60198) at the Lego store at Disney World. This forum has been an invaluable help to understand the Powered Up system and its predecessors and to see the range of possibilities in Lego trains.

My background is I'm a retired mechanical engineer who has worked in the US rail industry for 47 years,  42 of those at Electro-Motive Division (EMD) of General Motors. I'm best known in the industry as the inventor of the EMD HTCR radial steering 3-axle locomotive bogie (or "truck" as used in the US), but I also designed the SD80MAC and the DE30AC and DM30AC passenger locomotives during my career. My most recent designs are the 2-axle bogie on the MotivePower/GE HSP-46 commuter locomotive and the 4-axle articulated bogie on the EMD SD70ACe-BB built in Brazil which was granted 8 patents. My main hobbies have been building and modifying cars over the years, do a google search for "Daverri" to see the car I've been working on for the last 26 years.

As my two boys were growing up they got plenty of Lego sets of all varieties, including 4.5v, 12v, and 9v trains and the monorail in the late 1980's and throughout 1990's, all of which my older son, now 36, still has. He continues to buy new sets, mostly modular buildings. I live in SW Michigan now and he's in Houston so taking advantage of his huge stock of bricks is not so easy. My younger son lives near Chicago and has two sons, 3 and 5 years old, who are serious Lego builders and love to come here to play with our Lego's. While our kids were growing up, the most memorable Christmas day's were spent in our pajamas around the kitchen table assembling Lego sets the kids got for presents.

My Lego layout has taken over the basement at my house now, I'm just finishing building 200 sq. feet (18.6 m2) of tables around the perimeter, soon I'll start laying track. My wife is building most of the city building sets we've bought. I've bought several retired train sets, mostly on eBay, over the last few months, including the blue cargo train and the Maersk train and modified them all to add headlights and ditch lights. How I've gone about that would not be approved by most I imagine as it's involved drilling holes and sometimes a bit of superglue but I consider that the beauty of Lego's, making what ever you want. I've also come up with an easily changed rechargeable battery solution that I've implemented on most of my locomotives. I'll create separate threads to show what I've done if there's interest.

Dave a.k.a bogieman