Welcome aboard! Indeed, there was a heyday 2000-2010, but if anything the AFOL train builders keep getting more and more sophisticated (just keep an eye on this forum to see what I mean... or take a look at the flickr pages). As long as PF train equipment is being made you'll have a thriving community. As for starting points, the best thing you can do is reverse engineer some of the MOCs that catch your fancy. Yeah, easy to say, but you'll find some good building tips in the back issues of Railbricks, and complete instructions too. Lgauge.com also has instructions. There are several other sources, but I don't think there are any with the same quantity.

Happy building!

Thanks - I've already devoured the Railbricks back issues. Such a shame it's defunct.

Greetings all - I am Peter from Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada. Have always loved Lego as well as model railroads so the birth of my first grandson in October was the perfect reason (and a great excuse) to start into the lego train hobby. Looking forward to learning from others via this forum.

I just recently got back into Lego - I hadn't been using it for nearly 3 nears now, leaving my "sorting" bins sad and neglected for quite some time. Recently I was looking for something that I had assumed might be found within one of the Lego bins - which is wasn't - and I found myself fiddling around with the little blocks once again.

I have some plans in store - I'm no stranger to model railroading, having an 'O' Gauge Lionel layout in the basement, and I look forward to re-entering the world of Lego.

Welcome aboard Pete and DirtPiper. I think it could be a couple years before Pete's grandson can operate the remote without trying to eat it. :wink:

Hello everybody,

Although i already said hello via the general "Hello! My name is..."-Forum, im nowadays mostly interested in trains, 9V to be precise. I re-purposed most of the bricks from my childhood knight, pirates and space collection for this (havn't found a proper use for the castle walls or blacktron windshields yet ;-) ) I also have about one and a half monorail sets i like to mix in there. Sadly i don't have the room for a permanent layout, so most of my trains are packaged up most of the year. I also got some remnants of 4,5v which i inherited from my Dad, which i have so far only kept for nostalgia because i could not figure out a proper use for them. I also got myself a sealed Horizon Express box for my birthday last year to complete the one I already got running, but so far could not bring myself to open it. Which kind of defeats the purpose. Maybe for the next trains show...

Greetings from Germany / Saxony / Dresden,

Michael a.k.a HiFish

Hello there,

i am new here and just recently unpacked my old lego from the basement cause my son's getting 5 this year and i wanted to give him some of my older smaller cars. While browsing through the boxes i found 4 pieces of track which i bought as a kid cause i always wanted lego trains but never got one. Anyway so i went to Amazon and looked at the train sets and well... i liked them. Over the next days i debated to buy one or not but finally gave in and bought 60098. A few days later when it arrived i was hooked :) I needed more track so i went to ebay and tried to get more tracks. While browsing I saw all the sets on sale and thought: "hey some more trains would also be nice" and they come with track. Ah well end of story i bid on several of those. In the end i managed to get 7939 and 7938 from the same seller quite cheap. Also the yellow engine without a set, more track, joints and some wagons and a few trucks. Well it went bit out of hand and i managed to spent some 500 euro on train stuff in under a week :) While googlin for ideas what to do with the 2nd yellow train engine (i post it later maybe what i did end up with) i found this forum and signed up. So here i am :)

Heres a small glimpse of how it looks so far, still waiting on some more wagons, trucks and joints from ebay to arrive:

IMG_3515.JPG

IMG_3446.JPG

EDIT:

The package with the last junctions came:

IMG_3528.JPG

IMG_3524.JPG

-------------------------

eurobsig.png

Edited by StukaRT

Welcome aboard Stukart! You will find all sorts of resources for anything train or Lego related here!

Hello, I just joined today and Im looking forward to the communities creations.

Heres a 1400 class locomotive I made http://imgur.com/zrHfANm

Welcome aboard! Nice little locomotive you've got there!

Hello everyone, I got back into Lego not long after my daughter was born, so probably 5 years ago now. Mainly collecting minifgures and crafting a large, for me (6' x 4') Winter Village. I added Lego trains to the mix last year by adding a couple of 60051s to the village. I came across this forum in search if inspiration to replace the modern train station with one that fits more inline with the theme of the village. So far it has not disappointed me!

Hello everyone, I got back into Lego not long after my daughter was born, so probably 5 years ago now. Mainly collecting minifgures and crafting a large, for me (6' x 4') Winter Village. I added Lego trains to the mix last year by adding a couple of 60051s to the village. I came across this forum in search if inspiration to replace the modern train station with one that fits more inline with the theme of the village. So far it has not disappointed me!

Welcome to the train tech forum! Have you seen the new Winter Village train?

10254-1.jpg

Their is an awesome station instructions available to buy at Brick City Depot that would look great with this train. See here for the train station: https://www.brickcitydepot.com/WV001/winter_village_train_station

Hope this helps!

^ I have actually, planned on getting two plus a few parts to modify it a bit, I have been banking VIP points all year to cover them. For the train station I saw the one you created (in lead me here to EB) and I used that as a starting point with some modifications so it will fit in with my other items. I like some of the other ideas on your link though. I am going to have to make some major BL sales to cover the costs of all these bricks!

Hello Everyone!

I have never been a train guy but got the new Winter Train for the Fall and I have become very very interseted but I really have no one to start. I have bought some more track and got the power functions. What are some great resources for me to use and what to start buying. 

Since I live in a smaller condo my partner has said I can have Nov/Dec for Xmas trains and then May/June for other train diplays (since it would be on our floor (for the most part).

Whats the best to get started? I feel like with so much stuff its hard to know where to start going.

Also I really want to know where to buy some ready make pillars for inclines. It looks like I have seen some that are 3d printed but I have no idea where I can find them!

Thanks all and I hope to learn lots here! 

Hello all!

Nick from the UK - I'm new to the forum and new to trains!

Currently collecting custom and MoC military vehicles but taken the plunge with a new Cargo Train and new Winter Train (due this week!)

I'm keen to get my daughter into Lego as she gets older and really like the idea of making an expanding Winter Village scene with her, as she's grows up.

Not made either train yet - but wish to PF the Winter Train and use it as a doner-vehicle by adding a 4th driving wheel / longer fire box - and to create a more convincing coal bunker (to hide the battery)

Looking forward to being part of the forum & any design advice that you might have!

Edited by NickL

Hi All!

I too got into Lego trains with the release of this year's Winter Holiday Train and am saving building it with my kids closer to Christmas. Buying one train led to buying another steam engine, the Constitution. I built the Constitution engine and tender but found it small, so I have expanded it to 8 wide, increased the length a bit and added motor functions (in a separate car) and drive shafts. I haven't worked out all the kinks yet but will post when complete. Drive shafts on a steam engine with the pieces I have are a challenge to run smoothly around the curves.

I like building interiors to my MOC buildings and have tried doing the same to the passenger and dining cars to my MOD train. Definitely more space to work with using 8 stud with than 6 stud width. 

This forum has been very helpful so far with figuring out the basics of trains but welcome future advice. Cheers!

Hey everyone,

I've always wanted Lego trains as a kid, sadly, my family wasn't able to afford them at the time.
Now at the age of 26, I got into Lego again, specifically into trains.
I'm a software engineer and love automating everything I can and Lego trains are perfect for automation.
So far, I'm able to control my trains via my computer, phone, and using my voice through Amazon Echo. I also have independent lights in them that are controllable in the same manner.
In addition, I have an automatic level crossing with motorized gates, lights, and bell (sound). Next, I'll automate track switches.

I currently own 60051 High-speed Passenger Train, 60052 Cargo Train and 60098 Heavy Haul Train is on the way.
I have a few 7499 Flexible and Straight Tracks and 7895 Switching Tracks.
Planning on getting a few 60050 Train Stations as well.
I feel really bummed out by having missed the 10219 Maersk set, it's simply too expensive now :/

Welcome!

If you like the Maersk and own the 60052 then I highly suggest a look at @zephyr1934's fantastic mod/moc to make a pair of engines. Its really just a couple bricklink orders away from having all the parts.

You can see the details here:

Edited by cameronmiller1988

1 hour ago, alican said:

I feel really bummed out by having missed the 10219 Maersk set, it's simply too expensive now :/

Me too so you are not alone. BNSF is also outrageously priced. Bricklinking the pieces for these sets in another color is also an option (similar to the link provided). Any of the digital building programs are great for taking an existing set's built file and easily changing color or modifying to see if you like the look. 

And thank you for posting that link cameronmiller1988! That is a really cool and affordable/adaptable option for a realistic looking PF American freight engine and the instructions and sticker options are great. 

Hi

I got my first lego set at the age of 5 in 1960. I have recently been modelling Union Pacific in HO (not lego, but expensive digital stuff with sounf) but with a clutch of grandchildren arriving I'm looking for something more accessible to share with them so the HO stuff is on ebay and I'm back to lego which survives contact with children under 11. So I have an Sbrick and I'm looking at Bluerail. ME Models and a guy in Poland - trixbrix.eu - are making less toylike track and there are lots of designs for recognisable Union Pacific prototypes in 6-wide and upwards so the future looks bright and all my prototype data still has value. Anyone else out there wanting to run prototypical operations using Lego rolling stock and track?

Hello!

I've been lurking for a while but as I now have a train (just the high speed passenger train) and I'm already trying to work out how to add doors, I thought I'd join up. 

Sad as I missed the Emerald Knight - hoping for more like it. 

Hello Train Tech. I have been in the Technic forum since I joined Eurobricks and have always wanted to get into trains, so the other day I decided to buy the 60052 set. I have also brought 2 x train Buffers, extra wagon and CSX sticker set off Ebay and extra tracks. I decided not to bother with the 9v stuff as I have a heap of power functions and rechargable batteries from the technic stuff. I am planning on converting the wagons to loggers and doing a small forestry layout. Hope you guys will be kind enough to help me if I have any problems. Technicfan.