Hi Peterab, Im in Adelaide and have recently been to Bricktopia - this was the first lego exhibition of any substantial size in almost 20 years I reckon. Ive heard of Brickvention but have never been. If your aware of any LUGs in Adelaide, Id be happy to join. Thanks Yogi :)

There were a few guys trying to get a LUG started in Adelaide but I haven't heard much from them in a while. Ask on ANZFOL http://aussielegofans.forummotion.com and you might find someone who knows, though it has also been pretty quiet of late. You could also message Lightning Tiger who is a member here (you are sure to run into him, he posts a lot) as he might know since he is also from South Australia.

Hi everyone, I'm Bjorn but I tend to go by Dutchiedoughnut, or just Dutch. Incidentally I am from the Netherlands, so I suppose it's fitting.

During the day I'm an engineer working on truck trailers and in my spare time I'm usually holding a camera. I also had the itch to build something myself, so of course I looked at Lego ;). Well, I have been torn between a Lego train setup, or a h0 layout. In the end the h0 would just too big to keep setup while I can take down the Lego as I please.

I should warn you - I'm not a Lego purist. I value an overall clean look of my models over keeping to existing Lego blocks. I'm experimenting with 3d printing, so I wont destroy my Lego blocks either ;).

Welcome aboard Dutch, looking forward to seeing some of your works. And don't worry about being a non-purist. Most folks around here have strong preferences for their own work but rarely do they hold others to the same standards. It is always neat to see what can be done while still being pure and it is equally neat to see what strange impure solutions can arise.

Good evening sirs.

Collecting some Lego since 1,5 years now. I mostly like trains. I now have a small layout with full Horizon Express, Emerald Night and 2 Santa Fe's.

From my youth, I still have the Metroliner with club car and Crocodile loco. Track goes around 6 latest modular buildings. Soon to be added; Maersk and a bigger layout... I much prefer sets for "adults" as they are IMO much more detailed and nicer looking ( I'm 30 years old). I actually have no interest at all in the "regular" City trains, just don't like how they are less "realistic" looking..

Hope to find some usefull info here..

2v110eh.jpg

Edit; pic added

Edited by Player

Greetings Player,

sounds like you have a good collection of official sets (including the collection from your youth). Indeed, you are bound to find all sorts of interesting tidbits around these forums (as well as contribute to them too). Certainly do not hesitate to ask questions or show off a new MOC. Welcome aboard and see you in the forums.

Hello all!

I'm totally new here and have always loved Legos and trains. Unfortunately, I never had a Lego train but after recently learning of LDD I have made one in the program that I would like to share with you guys. I went for realism and detail and it ended up being pretty close to scale so it's massive! Its and ALCO (American Locomotive Company) Type 4-8-8-4 Union Pacific Big Boy. I have found several Lego creations of this locomotive which I found helpful in building this one. I tried to make it real, yet playable. It's got a working Walschaerts Valve Gear PF motor in the firebox which powers all 16 driver wheels, battery box in the tender, and a differential in the boiler to allow the powered driver trucks to pivot so she can negotiate the tight Lego radius curved tracks. I'm going to start on a matching caboose but I would love your feedback on my creation. I've got a link here to my flickr album for you to take a look at. If you'd like, I'd be happy to take more screenshots and upload them if you have a specific view in mind. Also, I built it to easily install 9v train motors in the loco's trailing truck and the tender's lead truck. If you are doing that, you can disengage the drive wheels from the PF motor by lifting the middle dome and rotating it 180 degrees.

I'm currently in transition so I don't have the coin to physically build this thing as it's over 2,600 bricks!

Here is the Flickr link. https://www.flickr.com/photos/128636628@N08/sets/72157648203745607/

ALCO

That's great work (especially for your first train MOC). Keep it up and looking forward to seeing more (btw, also a fantastic id you've chosen).

As a long time Lego train fan 30+ years I will gladly join this forum!

Actually the Santa Fe Super Chief is what ended my dark ages about 6 or 7 years ago.

I ended up building it with seven cars moccing 2 B units and building James Mathis version of an observation car.

santa_fe_lok.jpg

santa_fe_cars.jpg

I still have 5 Loks and 10 of each of the cars MISB. :classic:

Both of the A units are motorized and have 9V Lights

I was never able to get a # version. :pir_bawling:

I bought 3 of 10027 train shed's only having build one till now.

Have 4, 10133 BNSF locomotive 1 build and 10 of 10170 TTX double stock car MISB.

3, 10173 Holiday Trains MISB.

5 10194 Emerald Night MISB

5 10219 Mearsk Train MISB

40, 4515 9V Straight Track MISB, 5 Sets opened.

20, 4520 9V Curve Track MISB

5, 9V Switches MISB

1, 9V Crossing MISB

10, 9V Motor's, 7 MISB

The only thing I don't have is room to build a layout....... :cry_sad:

Billionaires of Eurobricks imo

Billionaires of Eurobricks imo

Probably just in the right place at the right time. The Santa Fe stock was slow selling and was eventually heavily discounted. One of the members of my train club bought palate loads of the cars and shared them with others train clubs around the globe they were so cheap.

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=42776

I know a few others on that list were also discounted such as the holiday train.

One of the members of my train club bought palate loads of the cars and shared them with others train clubs around the globe they were so cheap.

The intriguing question for me here is of course: Were any nice new designs build out of this?

Probably just in the right place at the right time. The Santa Fe stock was slow selling and was eventually heavily discounted. One of the members of my train club bought palate loads of the cars and shared them with others train clubs around the globe they were so cheap.

http://www.brickshel...ery.cgi?f=42776

I know a few others on that list were also discounted such as the holiday train.

5x Emerald Night, 5x Maersk

http://www.brickshel...ery.cgi?f=42776

Ah, the "good old days" when Lego wasn't so popular. :laugh:

The intriguing question for me here is of course: Were any nice new designs build out of this?

Most of them went overseas, but I think Teunis Davies might have scored some. He built an alternate observation car and some double decker stock, so the Santa Fe that runs on our club layout is long and unique. Many of the builders in the club don't build sets any more so a lot of what we display is custom.

http://www.brickshel...ery.cgi?f=81723

The last couple of pictures are Teunis and James Mathis comparing their domecar designs.

I could buy nearly 3 Emerald Nights imported from the US for the price of a local new yellow cargo train at the time. The TTX cars in your signature would not be cheap to buy now. I still think it is a matter of when and where you bought it. Of course his collection of MISB trains is now worth a mint.

Ah, the "good old days" when Lego wasn't so popular. :laugh:

And we had no idea if or how trains would survive. A lot of people stockpiled 9V stuff because they knew they were never going to be able to buy it at retail prices again.

Edited by peterab

Most of them went overseas, but I think Teunis Davies might have scored some. He built an alternate observation car and some double decker stock, so the Santa Fe that runs on our club layout is long and unique. Many of the builders in the club don't build sets any more so a lot of what we display is custom.

http://www.brickshel...ery.cgi?f=81723

The last couple of pictures are Teunis and James Mathis comparing their domecar designs.

I could buy nearly 3 Emerald Nights imported from the US for the price of a local new yellow cargo train at the time. The TTX cars in your signature would not be cheap to buy now. I still think it is a matter of when and where you bought it. Of course his collection of MISB trains is now worth a mint.

And we had no idea if or how trains would survive. A lot of people stockpiled 9V stuff because they knew they were never going to be able to buy it at retail prices again.

Apparently retail price of Emerald Night was $99.99. LIES! I bought the set in 2011 for around $430, internet prices ranging from $380-$450. That would mean the 5 Emerald Nights themselves cost around $2000. Then the Maersk. Then the rest. Billionaires of Bricklink confirmed.

Btw I got my TTXs for 45 Euro a piece.

Apparently retail price of Emerald Night was $99.99. LIES!

I think the RRP of the EN here was $120, but it was only sold at retail in Melbourne for one day at a Myer sale (25% off I think) and was then sold out. Because Australia doesn't have any LEGO stores a limited number of the exclusive sets are offered to retail outlets. The RRP of the Cargo train here was $299, but it was widely available discounted.

I think the RRP of the EN here was $120, but it was only sold at retail in Melbourne for one day at a Myer sale (25% off I think) and was then sold out. Because Australia doesn't have any LEGO stores a limited number of the exclusive sets are offered to retail outlets. The RRP of the Cargo train here was $299, but it was widely available discounted.

Meh, retail can be such a pain at times... I almost always buy second hand. The beauty of Poland is that people here have no idea what value the stuff they're selling has in the international market. Picked up the Metroliner Club Car in near mint condition for 30 Euro, some bloke had it for sale saying he found it whilst clearing the attic. Unbelievable...

Hey everyone, we are David and Joshy, two lego fans from Sydney. :)

Joshy is a long-time lego fan and I'm pretty new to the whole thing, but really getting into it. :D

Joshy has quite a few lego city sets, collected over the years, and we are building our own collection of PF trains, and experimenting with adding PF to older trains too!

We have a beautiful glass coffee table, and we plan to have a large complicated loungeroom floor setup that has a train yard under the telly and comes out and around and showcases under our table. :D

Currently we have 60050, 1, and 2, as well as the Horizon Express without PF, and a Maersk cargo train on the way from Ebay!

We look forward to sharing our train setups and having lots of fun train discussions here with you guys on EB!

Also if there's any lego train fans in Sydney you should holla. :)

Long time lurker. First post.

TRU had the Maersk train on clearance for 59€.

Edit:

Btw, the pic in your signature is huge. You may not be aware, but I takes up the whole screen.

Edited by 3797

Hello

My name is Stefan and I am a train fan from Switzerland. Most of my train projects are done with the LDD (you know, not enough room, money etc. or just not nice paint scheme :grin: ) in 8 wide. However, I have real built trains in 6,7 and 8 wide which I'd like to share someday. They are all models of real trains, so some of you might recognise them.

Some pictures can be found on Brickshelf and Flickr

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?m=StefanEris

https://www.flickr.com/photos/93532411@N04/

Stefan

Greetings Stefan,

welcome to EB trains, you have definitely come to the right place. You have some interesting builds already in your collection, e.g., your TEE has some challenging curves and your skytop... that is a very challenging build no matter what. I look forward to seeing more of your MOCs as they are built (either electronically or in brick).

Hello Everyone,

My name is Corey Gehman. I've been lurking around here for a while and posting quite a bit to flickr, but flickr isn't very good for conversations, so I figured I needed to get over here.

I've wanted to do trains as my dark age was ending but I quickly got bored with a train going in a simple oval so I never really got into it although I felt like I wanted to. But, that all changed at Bricks by the Bay 2014 which basically showed me how easy the Arduino was to program and that lead to my Arduino based train controller for 9v layout. I've attached the picture of the first full hardware version with the second software version. Both of which are being upgraded right now (hopefully done soon...).

The train controller controls up to 4 trains and 16 motorized switches and it talks via bluetooth to an Android app. Both the Arduino design and software are mine as well as the Android app. The app is fairly basic but able to switch trains from one track to another and open up "parking" spots for either parking a train or pulling out a new train.

Of course, as soon as I got this working on a very small layout (2 loops with a crossover and 2 parking spots), it became obvious that I need a whole lot more trains. I've been getting pictures of them recently and I'll start uploading more pictures. So far, my biggest train project has been the "Blue Horizon". Here's by flickr album so far on my 9v trains:

16055094041_7e9595d691.jpg

Edited by coreyg