I suppose, I'm now qualified for the list.

It started way back in the early 80s, when I got 727.gif, along with 134.gif and a circle of blue rails (with the innertrack) for christmas.

I even got same straight rails (4 of them, without innertracks), but I have no idea, where they came from.

Surprisingly, when I got these items, the grey rails were already released, therefore, I had the "new" a_7864.gif.

During the next couple of years, I got some grey rails, points, a_7866a.gif and a_7813.gif.

After that, my interest changed to city/town, space, and castle sets, and I slowly descended into my dark ages.

After my dark ages, I collected some city, castle (fantasy), and licensed sets (starting with Spider-Man 2).

But this year, my interest for trains finally began anew, with the release of 10219c.gif10219b.gif10219a.gif.

It is now accompanied by 10194b.gif10194a.gif.

Right now, it might not be the largest train collection, but it will expand soon...

Edited by Nebsirob

Hello all train fans!

I'm pretty new to LEGO trains, but I have some old gray 4,5v tracks from my childhood. I think I had just two trains back then, but it newer took off. I mostly build technic creations until a few years back when I started to build some realistic building and modeling real buildings in LEGO.

And when the first LEGO RC trains came out (7897 and 7898) I thought they where nice and I started collecting trains again.

I have also built a MOC train station to accompany the RC trains on a local hobby show a few years ago.

I have not built many MOC trains yet. The latest was a monorail built from an idea from Freddie/Goksnedeh. It is almost finished now and I will put up some more images of it soon.

I also have one 7597 Western Train Chase (Toy Story), one 7897 Passenger Train, one 7898 Cargo Train Deluxe, one 7938 Passenger Train, one 7939 Cargo Train, one , one 10173 Holiday Train, two 10194 Emerald Night, one 10219 Maersk train beside the RC train tracks and a few of the latest train stations.

I have been for a long time now worked on a automation of the RC trains with some NXT and RCX bricks, with sensors, motors and IR receiver/transmitters. So far the only problem I have is detecting where a specific train are at any moment on the tracks. I like to build the system so it is easy to add more trains and tracks.

And in the end I just have to point out that I don't have real trains in my regions to look at for inspiration as we don't have trains here in northern part of Norway....

Edited by F0NIX

To add to my introduction post..

My favorite Lego series was the train and city as they existed late 80'ies/early 90'ies at the transition of 12v to 9v, and the mid-90'ies also saw the most epic Technic sets ever, the 8880 supercar, 8868 compressor truck and of course the Space Shuttle. For me, Lego has been going steeply downhill ever since then, with this piece as a sad epitome of everything that Lego should not be. I initially strongly disliked the studless Technic series but after getting some experience in building with it I can see some of the merits, still, Technic sets without studs make me cry a little on the inside and I think Lego would do well to reconcile this new technology with its old roots.

Now, on to trains. I love the 12v series for its complexity and tech level they offered. All the remote functions and different sets offer a huge level of playability and customization both in the conventional and non-conventional sense (modifying Lego parts manually). Especially the later 9v and early remote control series trains I hate with a passion - I really cannot stand their plastic futuristic look. PF is a different story, because while they lack the complexity in tracks and accessories that 12v offered, they do bring about a lot of hugely detailed sets with many small pieces (see link above :)) and good customization for the locs, engines and transmissions. It is however for their lack of technical accessories that I plan to stay clear of them, and will happily collect and play with the 12v sets til kingdom come.

That'll be my little rant for today, Sok out.

Welcome Nebsirob. I remember seeing 727.gif in a German Toy Store during the early 80s. I was so impressed with the train design at the time. :wub: Great colors!

Hi F0NIX. One day I plan to build my Western Train Chase. Still got 'er in the box. (note: I'm having trouble with your links though).

Sokratesz: I agree with you in regard to 12V. I just wish I had even one set from the collection. I've had to re-create them as part of a 12V Restoration Project only (building just a few cars). There's something about their simple yet fantastic design that interests me.

Hope you guys enjoy and/or continue to enjoy the forum! :thumbup:

I want to celebrate my 500th post :laugh: becoming an official member of this important Train Tech Registry :sadnew:

My train list (as already said in the topic "How Many Trains Do You Own?") is:

5 trains from the 4,5 volts era (n. 133, n. 182 and n. 171 plus 2 MOC locomotives and a lot of original wagons from that years)

10 trains from the 12 volts era (n. 7715, n. 7720, n. 7727, n. 7740, n. 7745, n.7750, n.7760, n. 10194, n. 10133 and n. 10183 and a lot af original wagons from that years)

3 RC trains (n. 7897 and n. 7898 plus 1 MOC steam locomotive)

2 PF trains (n. 10219 plus 1 MOC steam locomotive)

Hi, I'm Lisa.

Ever since I was a child I have been facinated by trains. I had a decent (for a kid) HO layout that I built myself (table, scenery, track laying, buildings, everything - even painted the people) when I was young.

When I got back into LEGO in 2010, I told myself (and my husband) that I would not get into trains. It is expensive and takes up so much space. Then I saw a blurry leaked image of the Maersk train. :wub:

Even before the train was available for purchase, I started buying up 9v track when it would show up on Bricklink at an affordable price. As soon as the train showed up on the Lego website I ordered it.

Now I have my first Lego train layout, with some buildings and simple track. I don't have much and not sure that I am going to work on a more "permanent" display or not. I really don't want to get any larger because I need the space for other things (though I did get the largest bedroom in the house for my Lego room). I do want to create a custom train (not just an engine) but I am not ready for that yet.

My current challenge is that I want to create a motorized narrow gauge, so that should be fun.

5825547606_81129413cd.jpg

Unnecessary quote of entire post & picture removed by TheBrickster

Hey There! I love the playability of theat compact layout you have!!! Awesome!....

I have only recently found the train tech and come out of my dark ages for the EN etc and found some excellent inspiration in here.... Welcome to the forray! ) Looking forward to seeing your narrow guage endeavours!!!

Edited by TheBrickster

Welcome Lisa. It's always nice to see more ladies join in the LEGO Train hobby. The Maersk is certainly a nice train to start your collection. Your interest in a narrow gauge rail sounds interesting as I've always been a fan of mining and forest trains. You could use some of the rail pieces from Indiana Jones' Temple of Doom (7199), although motorizing elevated track would certainly be a challenge. I hope you enjoy the forum and good luck with expanding your LEGO Train interest. Sounds like you have a good sized room to continue to expand your layout. :thumbup:

thanks for the warm welcome :)

I am actually planning on using the track from Alien Conquest for my narrow gauge curves. I will go with the old Lego rc or the memodels track for straights.

Hello Everyone.

I've been a fan of Lego trains ever since I saw 4559 Cargo Railway in a Lego catalog when I was a child. Lego Trains were too expensive for my family so I had secondhand HO scale trains to play with from cheaper sources.

When I left for College I had my own funds to pick up some small 9 volt lots on the web and before I knew it, I had some track and a motor to build an engine on top of.

I recently finished my first MOC Locomotive.

My collection is quite small but I have acquired a few cars, a set, and track switch in the past year while MOC'ing some of my own.

As you can see my layout is small also:

layout_overview001.jpg

My layout is under construction. I wish to put it on a big piece of plywood painted green and buy more track to expand my railroad.

I hope to obtain the newer trains before they sold out before I regret missing out on them like I did when I wasn't able to grab a copy of 10170 TTX. :cry_happy:

I hope to chalk up my 100th post with becoming the first 'V' member in the Train Tech Registry. :sweet:

Edited by vgsprites

Welcome vgsprites and happy 100th! I see you have 4563 Load & Haul within your collection. She's a real beauty! :wub: Hope you continue to enjoy the forum.

EDIT: and now that I've added your user name, I see what you mean by the first "V" member. :classic:

Thanks Brickster!

The 4563 is my first (and currently only) full lego train set and one of my favorites.

I got her at decent price and it is a great beginner set with 4 stud-wide forklift.

Thanks, I enjoy checking this fourm everyday. :sweet:

'V' for victory! :laugh:

Hello. I have been a long time fan of both Lego and trains and am a serious O scale modeler. I like to build models in 8-wide, based off of American prototypes. I currently working on a model of an Ann Arbor/Wabash streamlined caboose, working off of one of my brass O scale models for reference.

img_0671-1.jpg

I went and sold off a lot (about 50 pounds) of my Lego 9V track and am currently focusing of just building models for display, not operation, to make them as accurate as possible.

Edited by DetroitBricks

Welcome DetroitBricks and thanks for sharing an image of the Ann Arbor/Wabash caboose. That will certainly make a nice inspiration train car to create in LEGO. I look forward to seeing your finished creation.

On a side note, we do have an 800x600 maximum image size here on EB, if you could please resize your image. Much appreciated and welcome to EB and to the Train Tech forum. I hope you enjoy our LEGO Train community.

I'm quite new to LEGO trains, i got into them when i got the new 7939 cargo train for Christmas, I plan on getting more track and the passenger train, but the track will cost me about 70 pounds! But I still will get it! :laugh:

Welcome LMC. I still haven't opened my Yellow Cargo Train. I was just about there, then the Maersk was released (sort of trumped the Cargo Train). In any case, I hope you enjoy the forum and good luck with your layout. :thumbup:

Hello, everyone! I'm Shuppiluliumas, and I've been building Lego Trains for about two years now. I'm not quite sure how I missed joining up here for so long, but I thought I'd share a bit about what I've done since getting into train building seriously.

I'm honestly not sure how it started now, but I've always had an interest in the Trains theme, though I didn't really have any as a kid. At some point I decided I really liked the look of steam locomotives and decided trying to model one would be a good way to get out of my dark ages. I picked the UP Big Boy because, well, it's pretty big.

68wg7.png

Building this mostly taught me what not to do. I learned that I should consider how best to power a locomotive before doing anything else, and I also learned that structural stability is pretty important. On top of that, this MOC helped introduce me to other AFOLs when I took it to the NMRA show in Hartford, CT in 2009. That led to me joining PennLUG and getting much more involved in building and in the AFOL community. I also decided I should try to model more trains, but pick prototypes that hadn't been done before. My next MOC was another Union Pacific locomotive, the 9000 class.

knx4E.png

Also really big. It didn't run at the time I first made it, but now it sports two PF medum motors in the tender and works well enough.

I discovered Power Functions when the Emerald Night came out, and also through converstaions with Cale. I decided my next MOC should not only feature Power Functions, but be weirder than the last one. I built a Triplex.

KsWli.png

Originally, this thing had the same gear setup as Emerald Night, with everything in the tender section. I've reworked it a bit since then, but this is still the first really successful train MOC I made.

As a kid, I thought 12 volt trains were the coolest thing Lego had made, but I never had any, unfortunately. I just stared at them in catalogs. I decided to start collecting 12v a while back, and have made a couple MOCs with it, including a subway station for PennLUG's train layout.

My last steam engine was made about a year ago, and it's the one I'm most happy with. I like to think I've gotten a little better each time I've made a locomotive and, at least as far as function goes, this last steam engine is my best. In keeping with my tastes, it's big and weird, the PRR Q1 duplex locomotive.

KCWvH.png

I do like to make MOCs in other themes, but I always seem to come back to Trains. As I've done more shows (BrickFair, Brickworld, Lego Kidsfest and others) I decided I wanted to do more than just make models of weird prototypes. I really wanted a locomotive that would run reliably,(that is, for 6-8 hours a day without any problems) and I also wanted to build a full train. I settled on New York Central's 20th Century Limited, which I finished in time for Brickworld 2011

ZYhOk.png

I love Lego for sure, but making trains in particular showed me how much fun making models with Lego can be. Trains have the added bonus of needing to not only look good, but work properly, which I find a fun challenge.

What else to say... well, my favorite system is definitely 12 volt, but my favorite sets are all from the 9v era; the Load n Haul Railroad especially. I don't really collect sets much, but I definitely try to keep up with the new sets as they come out.

Anyway, I've met a lot of cool people getting into this hobby, and learned quite a bit. If anyone's on the fence about getting involved with it, I say give it a shot.

Shupp- your LEGO Trains are amazing! I'm a huge fan of the old steam locomotives, but your 20th Century Limited is just as impressive. It's always a pleasure to have expert train builders join our EB Train Fan community. I hope to see more of your fantastic creations. Hope you enjoy the Train Tech forum and feel free to share any of your creations as individual topics. :thumbup:

Thanks! I don't know that I'm an expert or anything quite like that. I do think working on trains has made me a better builder though! It's definitely nice to see so many people interested in the hobby here, and I hope to have more MOCs to share soon. Oh, and because I forgot it before, my flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34338074@N06/

Hi Trainfans!

I'm Nandor from Hungary and I've just discovered EB & this forum recently.

I'm a MALUG-member, this is the Hungarian LEGO User's Group.

(My nick is Kisvakond same as here.)

About me:

Even as for many others, playing LEGO was my favourite activity as a child, moreover I also think nowadays too, that LEGO is the best 'skill-developing' and most creative activity.

After many years of "Dark Age" I started to collect good old Technic & Classic Town sets and a little later I started to build MOC's again as an AFOL in my favourite themes:

Technic, Classic Town and nowadays in the '9V/PF Trains' related theme, as I'm interested in trains & railways since I was a kid.

At the present time I would like to build many of my current MOC projects & plans which are fumbling & gathering in my brain and those cunning :grin: plans are all agog to come true.. ;)

I've been building LEGO train MOC's since only 2010, so I'm a beginner train MOCer after my long lasting "Dark Age" ... :laugh:

So let see, what's going on / what you can see at my "Age of Enlightenment" :sweet::

My First 9V MOC with working PF LED-lights + manually adjustable pantograph from last year:

GANZ BHEV "Beka" Locomotive from 1896, Hungary

img_0289.jpg_thumb.jpg img_0290.jpg_thumb.jpg img_0291.jpg_thumb.jpg img_0292.jpg_thumb.jpg img_0294.jpg_thumb.jpg img_0316.jpg_thumb.jpg img_0323.jpg_thumb.jpg

See it in action at a MALUG-meeting at Budapest:

http://www.youtube.c...f/0/ktssQLkBDAk

Bye,

..::Kisvakond::..

Welcome Kisvakond. I'm glad you found our EB LEGO Train community. I really like your Beka locomotive. In fact, it's an outstanding first 9V MOC. I hope you enjoy the forum and look forward to seeing your future creations.

Thanks, Mr. Brickster! : ) I'm glad to hear that, really.

To tell you the truth, the longer I'm reading the Train Tech forum, much the more I like it! I guess a good "Train Fan" Community here! :sweet:

By the way I have more existing MOCs to present, so soon I will bring with them out..

Bye,

..::Kisvakond::..

i liked it. i once saw a friends lego train it was a American Bigboy he even added steam to it

Hi everyone, my name's Tom and i'm a new AFOL out from a very long dark age. I've only just started collecting about 3 months ago, and literally stumbled on to Lego again after a few failed hobby attempts (pile of R/C and Warhammer gear hiding in cupboards).

Anyway, after buying a bulk lot of lego that came with 2 complete red passenger trains and a little bit of track, I was hooked! I immediately needed more of everything, and i've spent the last couple of months going broke building up a collection from scratch. I now have two 7938 and two 7939 trains, an Emerald night, and a BNSF engine. I've also been trying to build up structures around my layout, but I find it distracts me too much from the rolling stock! Once I have something worth shooting, I'll post up some photos, but for now I just want to soak up some of the knowledge here, and hopefully give a little back.

:)