Sign in to follow this  
NotTheDroidYoureLookingFor

Back to the LEGO world after a LONG hiatus.

gallery_101_23_908.jpg

Hey everybody, I have just bought my first two Lego sets in a LONG time. Probably 12-15 years.

IMG_0346.jpg

I am thinking about starting up a small collection. Probably just Star Wars unless I can find the LOTR sets extremely cheap.

I am basically wondering a few things...

How often are new sets released and where can I find the best deals and product?

I love the minifigs more than anything, so what is a good way of going about finding which sets have which figs?

Sorry for the noobish questions. I hope to be a contributing member of this forum as I buy and build more.

Thanks.

-Joe

I am thinking about starting up a small collection. Probably just Star Wars unless I can find the LOTR sets extremely cheap.

I am basically wondering a few things...

How often are new sets released and where can I find the best deals and product?

Well, I'll say you started with two really good Star Wars sets. That Skiff is one of my recent favorites. I would highly recommend the LOTR sets - I have all of them so far and they're great.

As for how often sets are released, generally they come out in two waves per year - one in summer and one in winter (usually just around the holidays). You'll also see previous sets retired around that time to make room for the new stuff. As for deals, you have to check around. Lego's site has their VIP points program which is nice, but the biggest discounts are usually from stores that run sales, have coupons, or are online and have cheaper prices. Amazon and Ebay tend to be reasonable. Being close to the end of the year, you might see some clearance stuff, as well. Generally, though I don't see alot of Star Wars stuff get marked down that much. I don't have experience with it, but you may want to check around on this forum for people selling sets.

Further down the forum sections there is a spot for sales and deals. I try to post in the sales section when I see good deals on Sundays.

Thanks for the info, Hawkman. I'll definitely be browsing through the forum a bit to try and get up to date on everything. I built the sets I bought shortly after I posted and I have to say, they really are terrific. I think I will look around some of the local stores later in the week and try to find another small set for now. Down the line, I hope to pick up the Falcon--not only does it come with a nice assortment of minifigs, but it looks like an absolutely breath-taking set!

Welcome, NotTheDroidYoureLookingFor!

The LEGO store / Legoshop.com don't have very many sales, really. Their VIP program is basically 5% cashback (to spend on more LEGO). But you can usually find better deals at amazon.com if you wait until the sets have been around for a few months. Sometimes as much as 20%. Also, Walmart has some good clearances on sets, usually right after Christmas and late Spring. Don't be lured by Toys R Us's "sales" until you really look at them. TRU marks up their LEGO 10-25% over MSRP. So when they say "40% off," you may not be getting that great of a deal.

If you're an OT fan, #8092 - Luke's Landspeeder is a good, cheaper set for minifigs. You'll only find it at the LEGO store/website or Walmart though.

May I add on...

Try to aim towards collecting current and future sets with store discounts etc. Always check if Lego is on clearance, you will never know what good deals you will get. Unless you have truckloads of money, you can probably buy discontinued sets at inflated prices.

Welcome back to Lego. Always seems to bring you back at some point. I like to look at www.fbtb.net for sales as they always list the random amazon.com sales for the sets including star wars and lotr.

I think everything has been summed up pretty well. Also, if you really want figs you can try www.bricklink.com or sometimes ebay, but I've mostly seen better deals on things on bricklink. Something to consider. I only got into LEGO SW this year so I had a lot of catching up to do. And I just got the Falcon today and it looks awesome.

Welcome back to the hobby. You'll be sorry :laugh: . It eats up a lot of your bank account, especially when getting back into it.