kabel

WIP Mitgardian trader in Varlyrio

I don't know how you guys feel, but I really like watching WIP threads. So I decided to once again start one of them presenting to you my latest idea for yet another Varlyrio moc. In this case a Mitgardian trade mission in the capital losely based on the Fondaco dei Tedeschi in Venice (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fondaco_dei_Tedeschi) Critical feedback of course wanted and appreciated

dscn2100.jpg

dscn2102.jpg

Nice start :thumbup: :thumbup:

The wall with bricks of two different reds, I think, is perfect to resemble the real building blocks :wink: ; what are your intention about the interior?? The side with the door and the minifig with the black helmet is directly on the canal?? (If yes, the minifig is about to fall in the canal :laugh: )

Looks good so far, I like the arches and oh for all those red plates! :thumbup: "Brick on!" :grin:

Great Start. I have been working on my "ministry of Trade" moc it is slow going right now but I hope to get it up soon!

well thanks for the feedback guys. I basicly wanted to know whether you honestly think the mixing of red, dark red and orange looks cool before I spend the money on 200 or more 2*1 plates.

As for the interior, I'm planning to give at least the upper story some interior, we'll see how that works out. I'm also wondering about whether or not to do the roof with round 1*1 bricks, as I have never used this technique before and I'm curious as wether it might be stable enough for such a large moc.

The side with the door and the minifig with the black helmet is directly on the canal??

so far the minifigs have no meaning, I'm having them there for checking out hights. However, yes this side is fronting the canal and being drunk in a city full of canals actually is a pretty dangerous :wink:

i like the color mix and I think it works well. As to the roof. If you run a 1 x plate across every few stacks of 1x1 rounds it will help stabilize it.

I think the mix of plates looks pretty good! I might try some dark bley in the mix and see how that looks but you're definitely off to a great start :thumbup:

Looking good! I really like how you alternate 1x1 round bricks with 1x1 round plates for the front pillars. I would recommend the rest of the 1x1 pillars to use the same technique. (example: pillars on the door underneath the arch and upper story in the back)

alright, I'm glad you guys like the colormix. As you can see in my older mocs I had thought of this before LEGO came up with the brick brick, and at first I wanted to use those instead. However, if your really look at old brick walls I think they look much more like this with quite a number of colors. I doubt though, whether adding a fourth color might still look good.

As for the roof I'll try round 1*1s. Remains the question of black or red, but I guess I'll go for black, so that I can finally finish the yards on my endeavor too

Looked again at my Varlyrio vignette build and I have 6 1x1 round bricks that are held together very solid with a 1 x tile on one end and a 1 x plate on the other. I imagine I could stretch that to 7 or 8 1x1 bricks and still remain fairly stable. I used black with a couple Dark grey thrown in.

Thanks guys, I really like how we're having a very constructive discussion here. We should have that more often!!

@Mikkel: A had thought about that too and added two pics of my first idea to the bs folder, I kinda like my current figuration a little better though, as it keeps the four corners more solid. Also the first build was getting a bit too large, so I rearanged the elements

dscn2096.jpg

just thought I'd let you know that was still working on this. I'v finally come up with a design that's in between the first and the second, seperating the storage from the hall. However, 200 2*1 plates I just recieved are already gone!

dscn2220.jpg

Hope you can finish it with the pieces you have, it looks great! I really like your gondola design too :thumbup:

Looking great kabel, like the plate technique! :thumbup: Nice canal you got going there too!

As this is a WIP topic, I thought I'd give you an update of what's happening:

the storage building getting there:

dscn2301.jpg

dscn2302.jpg

I started construction of the feasting hall:

dscn2303.jpg

critical feedback of course always appreciated

Edited by kabel

Looking good, the plate technique works nicely :thumbup:

If you have a different color I'd swap the grey fence pieces on the feasting hall balcony (first pic on the left), with the pillars being grey it looks like that part is made of stone...

I see you've got the Mitgardian colors in there! I'd have to agree with SK about the fence, white might look good there (if you have any left). The fireplace looks good but I'm not sure about the arched door on the second story of the storehouse; are you going to have a bridge going across it? As is it looks a bit strange! Also think you could do better on the transition from red to light bley arches on the storehouse; they just seem to be poping out of nowhere... :wink: Just some ideas I'm throwing out there...

It's already looking really fantastic!

My only question is what are you going to use in those almost square windows?

Alright guys, thanks for the feedback, I'll see if I can take stuff into consideration

@sk: actually the fence was meant to look like stone, but I'll try something else, if it looks better, I'll keep it

@kai: it's a store house, that's why there are two openings on the canal side, somehow large hauls of cargo need to go in there, just like here, an opening on every floor:

schlei-ostsee-urlaub_1356.JPG

but I agree about the arch on the other side, I'll see what I can do differently there

@dm. yeah, I'm not entirely sure how to do include the front facing large windows, I'm still waiting for inspiration to hit me

Wow, somehow I totally missed this when you first posted it. This is shaping up really nicely. The 1x2 plates look fantastic, and the overall layout with the arches and the water is vintage Valyria. Great job on this one, can't wait to see the finished product