Bonaparte

Eurobricks Event 2013 - Information Topic

Since I am living close to Munich I can probably add to the traffic discussion :blush:

The easiest way to go from Günzburg to Munich (if you don't want to drive around in the centre hunting for parking space) is using a train. Especially for a group of people its probably your best choice. Depending on the train connection it will roughly take between one hour and 90 minutes from Günzburg to Hauptbahnhof.

From there you can take the underground everywhere.

If you plan to use a car prepare to park somewhere at the outskirts and then use public transport from there.

The store in Riem is at the other end of Munich. The new one in Pasing is not very far away from Haubtbahnhof. Somebody mentioned the Müller chain. They also own the Obletter toystore located on Karlsplatz (Stachus) right besides Europe's most busy McDonalds (sightseeing anybody?). If you want to visit a store besides the Lego store you probably want to check out that one.

I might want to join you in Munich, probably have no time to spend the whole weekend in Günzburg though

I am hoping to come also (at least for one day), but I'll have to wait until my I get the go-ahead from my boss.

Having recently traveled to Munich by train I would also recommend public transportation. The so-called "Bayern (Bavaria) - ticket is only 22 Euros for the first person and then 4 Euros each for up to 4 extra people => this means 5 people can use all trains in Bavaria for a whole day for 38 Euros. To top it off, you can also use trams, busses and underground in Munich for free.

Traffic is very dense in Munich sometimes, so I definitely recommend this option.

Cheers

Frank

Since I am living close to Munich I can probably add to the traffic discussion :blush:

The easiest way to go from Günzburg to Munich (if you don't want to drive around in the centre hunting for parking space) is using a train. Especially for a group of people its probably your best choice. Depending on the train connection it will roughly take between one hour and 90 minutes from Günzburg to Hauptbahnhof.

If you plan to use a car prepare to park somewhere at the outskirts and then use public transport from there.

The store in Riem is at the other end of Munich. The new one in Pasing is not very far away from Haubtbahnhof. Somebody mentioned the Müller chain. They also own the Obletter toystore located on Karlsplatz (Stachus) right besides Europe's most busy McDonalds (sightseeing anybody?). If you want to visit a store besides the Lego store you probably want to check out that one.

I might want to join you in Munich, probably have no time to spend the whole weekend in Günzburg though

I am hoping to come also (at least for one day), but I'll have to wait until my I get the go-ahead from my boss.

Having recently traveled to Munich by train I would also recommend public transportation. The so-called "Bayern (Bavaria) - ticket is only 22 Euros for the first person and then 4 Euros each for up to 4 extra people => this means 5 people can use all trains in Bavaria for a whole day for 38 Euros. To top it off, you can also use trams, busses and underground in Munich for free.

Traffic is very dense in Munich sometimes, so I definitely recommend this option.

Cheers

Frank

Thanks to you both for your valued advice on traveling from Gunzburg to Munich. You have convinced me that train is the best option. Taking the Bavarian ticket as explained by Frank is really cheap, 38 Euros for 5 persons only makes 7,6 Euro/pp. If that includes the underground in Munich it's a super deal!

Frank, can you provide a link to the timetables and pricing info of the German railway (incl. the special Bavarian ticket)?

Timetables and pricing info can be found at: www.bahn.de

At the top of the page you can choose from a number of languages. Once you do this, you can enter time and day to see your connections. Additionally, the page will show "offers". To see the Bayern-ticket, just select "regional tickets within Germany" and then "Länder tickets". There you can choose from different federal states.

I believe the only restriction that applies is that you must begin your journey after 9:00 am, but you can use the ticket until 3:00 am of the following day. As mentioned before, since the Munich public transport is included, it is really a bargain.

Well I will definitely attend the event, But have some questions....

Would it be alright if I just travel to Gunzburg but not have accommodations? what will be the fee to attend just the event?

also I will gladly help with setting up things in Munich since I know the city very well! I liive here almost 20 years.......

please let me know how I can help!

I have shopped in the Obletter toystore in Karlsplatz many times and highly recommend it for good value. On the opposite side of Karlsplatz there are two large department stores with reasonably large toy (Lego) departments. While not always the cheapest for all sets we have always found some on special offer. The stores can also be accessed easily using the Karlsplatz underpass. The Mueller chain stores also provide good value for Lego sets.

I have shopped in the Obletter toystore in Karlsplatz many times and highly recommend it for good value. On the opposite side of Karlsplatz there are two large department stores with reasonably large toy (Lego) departments. While not always the cheapest for all sets we have always found some on special offer. The stores can also be accessed easily using the Karlsplatz underpass. The Mueller chain stores also provide good value for Lego sets.

Actually Müller and Obletter are the same company!

Actually Müller and Obletter are the same company!

Even so, the prices in the stores can differ as I've discovered on previous trips to Munich

Thanks to you both for your valued advice on traveling from Gunzburg to Munich. You have convinced me that train is the best option. Taking the Bavarian ticket as explained by Frank is really cheap, 38 Euros for 5 persons only makes 7,6 Euro/pp. If that includes the underground in Munich it's a super deal!

Frank, can you provide a link to the timetables and pricing info of the German railway (incl. the special Bavarian ticket)?

I believe I can take care of that.

When do we have to decide? :D

As soon as possible...

The Kirchenbauerhof gave us time until mid January to PRE-reserve the rooms. After that date there may be more rooms left depending if other people booked there too, or you'll have to stay somewhere different.

Your decision, but we want to keep as many eventees at that one place as possible. That also keeps the fun on one place. :wink:

Well I will definitely attend the event, But have some questions....

Would it be alright if I just travel to Gunzburg but not have accommodations? what will be the fee to attend just the event?

YEP, you can join in whenever you want and there will be no Eurobricks-fee, just the fees everyone will have to pay (Legoland tickets, bus, train, whatever)

Maybe there will be some goodies (Copmike?) that will cost a € or two...

also I will gladly help with setting up things in Munich since I know the city very well! I liive here almost 20 years.......

please let me know how I can help!

I will definitely come back to that when we are getting closer. Thank you for the offer!

Have you ever had a guy from the states come to one of these events?

Yep, more than once. But one was from Canada and the other from down under! :grin:

Yep, more than once. But one was from Canada and the other from down under! :grin:

Don't sign me up, but I am seriously thinking about going. I would love to meet Eurobricks members in person! I will get back to you guys and see if I can come. :classic:

How about KFOL-s? Is it ok to bring them or is it adult exclusive event?

I am also thinking about coming to event and have been already discussing with Redhead1982 to come together (we are both members of slovenian LUg and live not far away from each other). I just need to what to do with my wife and 2 1/2 year son. They could come with me, but if this event is mostly adult orient then I see no point in doing so. I would of course prefer to come alone, but that might be difficult to arrange (you know how it is with wifes: one day ith might be ok and the other not anymore :classic: )

Otherwise, I just ordered larger car (Skoda Superb Combi), so I excpect very nice trip and lots of space for purchased lego. I also know Munich very well (from 1997 to 2003 I was in town almost every other week for business). U bahn and S are great ways of transportation and I stopped going to city center with car long time ago. Riem Arcaden mall also has attached U bahn station and large parking garage, so its fairly easy to reach city centre from there. Obleterrer is really great toy store and worth visiting, but do not expect anything special from lego there. Selection is pretty much the same as in Muller stores (which owns them) and its really other toys (model trains, rc stuff etc) which make it so good.

Regarding visiting Munchen with train: its nice and comfortable, but If there are 3 or 4 people in car its so cheaper and it could be really annoying if you plan to buy several large item in lego store. I had just one transported several large "regular" boxes (city farm, police station and large castle) and could really not imagine what would I do with lets say 2 or 3 modulars, death star etc... Please note that you would have to tranport this first to U-bahn, ralay on one station, transfer to to main train station and at destination again to car.

And I usually bougth the whole car trunk at lego store, because I was also buying stuff for my colegues, LUG members etc...

How about KFOL-s? Is it ok to bring them or is it adult exclusive event?

I am also thinking about coming to event and have been already discussing with Redhead1982 to come together (we are both members of slovenian LUg and live not far away from each other). I just need to what to do with my wife and 2 1/2 year son. They could come with me, but if this event is mostly adult orient then I see no point in doing so. I would of course prefer to come alone, but that might be difficult to arrange (you know how it is with wifes: one day ith might be ok and the other not anymore :classic: )

So your son will be 3 at the time of the event? I see no problem for bringing him and your wife. I think Legoland has some attractions suited for young kids and the trip to Munich by train should be lots of fun for your son (my son loves trains and is about the same age). Our event really is a family event and families with kids have been joining already to our past EB events without any problems.

Thank you for this information. We were already at German Legoland with him last spring and even then he was able to use some of the atractions (with me of course).

Ok, I will discuss this with my wife and see what will come out of it. :classic:

Edited by Cwetqo

Sadly I won't be able to make it as the 6th of June is when classes for A2 begins. :(

If I am back in time from studying in Ireland I would love to join. I live quite near to Gunzburg (1-1.5h by car) so I won't use the accommodation provided. I also still have the annual pass for the LL.

I guess there will be even more Lego time in the holidays than I thought :) Looking forward to it!

Sadly I won't be able to make it as the 6th of June is when classes for A2 begins. :(

Wow, that sucks. When I was in yr12 we just sort of mooched about with some minimal lesson plan and a healthy dash of "what to expect next year" alongside setting up replacements for all the yr13 student positions now left empty (Head boy and girl, senior captains. All that jazz.) Oh, and volunteering opportunities.

So on another note: Best method of travel to Gunzberg eh?

Wow, that sucks. When I was in yr12 we just sort of mooched about with some minimal lesson plan and a healthy dash of "what to expect next year" alongside setting up replacements for all the yr13 student positions now left empty (Head boy and girl, senior captains. All that jazz.) Oh, and volunteering opportunities.

Hmm, in that case I should probably ask my teachers about that. It'll be pretty annoying to miss out just for minimal lesson plans.

Since it's mid January, and no info has been released on booking the rooms by EB. I'm new on this, and maybe I'm a bit too anxious... What's the situation on this (and room responsibles)?

Since it's mid January, and no info has been released on booking the rooms by EB. I'm new on this, and maybe I'm a bit too anxious... What's the situation on this (and room responsibles)?

I'll have a skype call with Holodoc and Copmike soon, once the Doc manages to install skype. I hope to have the skype call in the coming days. Most important item of our call will be the rooms (we'll post our proposal/outcome here after the call).

Great. Thanks. Now I only wish it's June already. :classic:

(we'll post our proposal/outcome here after the call).