ER0L

MOCs: Vintage Cars (2nd batch)

I agree - the fenders with the new slope looks lovely. It's so clean to look at, and the old-time tires are great, too.

Wow, what a great cars ...the Sedan is epic!

Very well done!

Brilliant roadster! The curved slopes fit perfectly.

I agree - the fenders with the new slope looks lovely. It's so clean to look at, and the old-time tires are great, too.

Thanks a lot guys!

#14: Vintage Sedan 3.0

The Sedan was revamped for a second time, I've called it "3.0". Inter alia, it has running boards now.

19234265864_1bcd01d13e_c.jpg

More pics on Flickr.

#15: Rolls-Royce Phantom III Parker Sedanca de Ville (1937) - James Bond 007 Goldfinger edition

Based on the usual vintage car platform (like the Sedan), but with some improvements. Shaping was the main aspect here - at the cost of playability: wheels don't spin, back doors don't open, you even can't place your Goldfinger inside. But well, even the little guys like the looks of it ... :wink:

20916665963_63e588d006_c.jpg

21545683211_efa9e66e45_c.jpg

More pics in the Flickr album.

Thanks for looking.

Excellent RR. I've tried many times to get realistic shaping but never been as successful as this. Well done!

Excellent RR. I've tried many times to get realistic shaping but never been as successful as this. Well done!

That RR is marvelous.

Thank you very much!

I'd like to add a pic of a version with a black hood. There are quite a few models with black hoods, though the movie car clearly has a yellow hood. Looks nice anyway:

21714548861_06f110e566_z.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Love the sedan, the roadster and especially the RR. Do you get to keep all these together, or do you have to dismantle them all for parts? I also wish somebody could help make instructions for these, as I don't have LDD either. :laugh:

Thaes cars are really so nice, I would build them all, then maybe come up with my own designs, too!

Impressive! These look great... As often with your MOCs it seems :)

Thanks a lot!

Love the sedan, the roadster and especially the RR. Do you get to keep all these together, or do you have to dismantle them all for parts? I also wish somebody could help make instructions for these, as I don't have LDD either. :laugh:

Thaes cars are really so nice, I would build them all, then maybe come up with my own designs, too!

Thank you. Sorry, there are no instructions, I don't even work with LDD. Regarding your question I keep most of the models together, older MOCs are rather overworked than dismantled.

The last pic shows a combination of the RR with the other two main cars from the James Bond movie "Goldfinger" (it's better not to dismantle older models :wink:):

21726113416_d94d9a3eab_z.jpg

Thanks all for commenting and viewing. More oldtimer cars to come.

Your work is absolutely a piece of art, its rare beauty to widness!

As an old-car lover I got some suggestions you will hopefully consider the following modells:

autowp.ru_talbot-lago_t23_teardrop_coupe_by_figoni_falaschi_9.jpgThe Talbot Lago T23 Deardrop

39_Horch_KM_05_Beth_01.jpg

Horch 1939 (the trunk looks also epic)

Other that can be beautifully lego-lized are: the Duesenberg II Speedster, 1934 Duesenberg and the 1937 Foose custom Studebaker convertible

Please let me know what you think, and brick on! :wink:

Wow. Some of the best Lego cars I've ever seen.

Thank you! Glad you like them that much.

Your work is absolutely a piece of art, its rare beauty to widness!

Thanks a lot!

As an old-car lover I got some suggestions you will hopefully consider the following modells:

• The Talbot Lago T23 Deardrop
  • Horch 1939 (the trunk looks also epic)

Other that can be beautifully lego-lized are: the Duesenberg II Speedster, 1934 Duesenberg and the 1937 Foose custom Studebaker convertible

Please let me know what you think, and brick on! :wink:

Thanks for the tips, those are some nice oldtimer cars for sure, a Duesenberg is on my list already. However it's rather a challenge to get a distinctive look with those vehicles when built out of Lego (even more in minifig scale). That's why you need an idea how to build the most typical elements of the car first - otherwise there's no need to get started. Long story short: There's absolutely no lack of ideas of what to build - it's a lack of ideas how to build it. And sometimes, sorry to mention it, a lack of proper parts ... :wink:

#16 "Bugatti" (design ideas)

41911450745_11a8d3a517_z.jpg

"Bugatti" #2 (design ideas) by ER0L, on Flickr

Lots of other projects in the meantime, however, the discussion about the actual Technic "Bugatti" (which in fact - apart from the name - has nothing to do with the classic French car manufacturing company, producing high-performance race cars and some of the most elegant luxury cars of all times, unfortunately closed in 1963) made me think about ways to build classic Bugattis with the typical two-tone colour design - which is easier nowadays since we have those great quarter tiles. Another idea was to use 2x2 curved slopes in the same way I did on the Porsche 917K conversion (with the slope pointing inwards) as part of the mudguards.

For this purpose I changed one of the older models  (easy to guess which one). Maybe this serves as an inspiration to anybody interested in oldtimer car MOCs.

Btw. there's already a Bugatti race car, a 35C model, see https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/73182-moc-vintage-cars-1st-batch/&do=findComment&comment=1416045.

Thanks for looking!

Edited by ER0L

9 hours ago, jfbat said:

Looks great! (you only did one side?)

Thanks a lot! Yes, it's just a design idea, a proof of concept, if you will. The next steps would be: 

• choosing the exact type you want to build
  • determine the measurements in ~1:35 scale (the scale I'm using on passenger cars - I just checked it, as a basis for a Bugatti 46 the wheelbase - 3.505 mm on the actual car - would already work, scale would be 1:36,5) 
  • building a proper grille
  • building a proper 7w offset frontend
  • building a proper transition between hood and doors (too much offset here)
  • placing the fig(s)
  • building a roof with enough headroom for the figs if it's supposed to be closed 
  • building a proper windscreen (which would have to be slanted on a Bugatti 46 Coupé)
  • etc. etc.

Though it would be fun I don't think I'll do all this in the near future, there are quite a few other builds in the pipeline. However, somebody might find it useful nonetheless. Especially regarding the quarter tiles I guess this is a matter of "something we couldn't build before and which we can build now".

#17 Mercedes-Benz 540K Spezial-Roadster

With this one I've tried to more or less fulfill the above list - the Mercedes 540K even fits two minifigs. I'm not satisfied with every aspect of the model (some elements are rather standard solutions, some areas need additional work), however, building the frontend in full 7-wide with the 2x2 curved slopes turned inwards seems to pay off especially when the grille of the prototype is set back as much as on the 540K Spezial-Roadster which in my opinion is one of the most beautiful roadsters of its era.

31224334608_be3a0996eb_z.jpg

Mercedes-Benz 540K Spezial-Roadster (V 1.0) 

On the backend where a certain roundness is absolutely required I used the 2x6 plates with rounded corners we know best from the Speed Champions series, also on the upper layer, since macaroni tiles 2x2 in white don't exist yet. Although I'm no fan of studs on cars at this small scale, for whatever reason they don't bug me too much here:

45111880131_d10184556a_z.jpg

Mercedes-Benz 540K Spezial-Roadster - rear 

Thanks for looking!

Edited by ER0L

21 hours ago, jfbat said:

That is absolutely stunning!

Thank you!

12 hours ago, Modeltrainman said:

Gray tires? How? What set? Nice work!

Thanks! Regarding the tires, antp is correct (the light gray variation of it). They are real "old-timers" - quite amazing to realize that the time distance between their production years (late Sixties) and a Mercedes 504K is considerably shorter than until today (30 vs. 50 years). 

3 hours ago, antp said:

I suppose it is https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=132old&idColor=9#T=C&C=9

Great work indeed (as usual, I'm tempted to say)

Glad you like it! Thanks for delivering the link, too. 

Edited by ER0L

On 10/8/2018 at 2:23 PM, Man with a hat said:

Wow. You never stop amazing us with your great cars! Brilliant techniques, very impressive!

Thanks a lot for your nice comment, I'm glad you like it!

And thanks all for commenting and viewing!

--

Okay, this was the last entry in quite a long row of vintage cars on Eurobricks, stretching over a couple of years. However, there are still lots of ideas in the pipeline - in case you're interested in further classics from ER0L's Garage, join me on Flickr. Or take a look at lots of great-looking vintage cars from a wide variety of builders on the Lego Vintage Car Group on Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/groups/legovintagecars/

Thanks all for your feedback!