I'm building the Unimog right now. The chassis is done. When the pf motor runs everything is fine. However, when the power is set for the front, the axle that goes to the back still turns a bit. When I put a finger on the gear on the back, it easily stops turning, I don't feel much resistance. Is this normal? If not, how to improve this?

Maybe it is caused by vibrations, that is why is turns just a bit and you don't feel much resistance. I don't know it is the same with my Unimog and I can't check is because I took it apart.

There are too thinks you can do:

1) Check that the drive shaft is not hitting any thing.

2)Gear the drive shaft down to increase the power.

Pictures would be helpful for us to look at. :wink:

That should be due to vibrations. Since the axle for driving the front and rear function is the same and the clutch gear not sitting completely free on the axle. Once you have built the attachments, there will be enough resistance in the drive train of the functions so it doesn't turn anymore except if clutched in.

The idler gear/clutch gear for that function is probably just a little tight, so when it turns without being engaged, there is just a little friction so the axle spins. Same thing happened to me when I tried to build a Unimog.

don't fix it!

in real life the pto of some tractors also turns a little bit without anything mounted on it.

grtz

Yes just leave it, when you put the winch on the front and the crane on the back the axle won't spin anymore because it takes more torque to move these devices.