just2good

2013 LEGO Pirates rumors and discussion.

I can think of a few interesting uses for white hull pieces.

Someone remind me please, I can't remember if the Lady Washington had her hull white or black when she was used as the HMS Interceptor in PotC. Regardless you could use those white hull pieces to easily make a distinctive ship for his Majesty's forces to stand next to the BP or QAR. Or to make a nice sized MOC update of the classic Armada Flagship.

Plus they might make an interesting starting point for a "White Ship" LotR MOC (although I think these may be the wrong hull pieces for that.)

Or to make a nice sized MOC update of the classic Armada Flagship.

Or to build the Armada Flagship's "big brother" and put those two together in a sort of small fleet, the larger one filled with Spanish soldiers. One can even use the Caribbean Clipper's sails for that, as they're also white and blue and would nicely match the original Armada Flagship's look. That would be awesome!

Overall, I am disappointed by the lack of pirate sets in 2013, but the LOTR set does potentially does look promising.

Exactly

Well, that¨s better than nothing I guess right?.

Captain Becker

Uhmm... I guess "Nothing" would be better appreciated than that :oh3:

Meanwhile in The LEGO Movie:

Metalbeard.jpg

He's a pirate that got blown to pieces by the villain and now uses a mech suit thingy. The picture is from a news article on the movie (http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2013/10/29/nick-offerman-facial-hair-lego/3295937/), not sure if it's CGI from the movie itself or the actual set, but the character is indeed part of a set.

Edited by jamesster

He's a pirate that got blown to pieces by the villain and now uses a mech suit thingy. The picture is from a news article on the movie (http://www.usatoday....r-lego/3295937/), not sure if it's CGI from the movie itself or the actual set, but the character is indeed part of a set.

Very nice keyhole plate on the picture. Did this ever appear in another set? I have never seen this before.

Is that a new shark bodypirate_laugh2.gif Looks like the one that was in a picture of 60013 this year, but the set came with an old shark right?!

No, I believe that is actually the retool of the classic shark mold that is debuting in this years Coast Guard sets.

No, I believe that is actually the retool of the classic shark mold that is debuting in this years Coast Guard sets.

Yes, but as I said was not the new shark body only in the picture?! I think the sets came with a new shark head, but not the new body. Maybe they had too empty the stock of the old mould, before they could release the new. It is a lot of sharks in those sets so it makes sense. :shark:

So, no specifically pirate figs in CM Series 12. Though Shakespeare comes with a ruffled collar and a torso that could be used for Conquistador aristocrats. And if the Taco Tuseday guy comes with a cloth poncho like the previous Mexican, the poncho can be used for Spanish colonial MOCs, as I understand they were worn since before the Europeans arrived. And of course, Calamity Drone has a musket. So far, not looking too rosy for pirates next year... On that note, maybe TLM talk should go into a Pirates 2014 thread?

True, though I myself prefer to keep my Pirates non-fantasy...

Edited by Ardelon

http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=70807-1

Looks like that's a real set. Funny when I first saw that pic I didn't think it would be mechanically stable and had to be a CGI render from the movie. Not sure if I'm happy or not about this set cause I was hoping for a little more based on these other sets. But at least there's some pirate elements in it...

BTW these links might contain spoilers...

http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=70806-1

http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=70812-1

Dunno what you guys think, but I kinda like this new jolly roger pattern in metalbeard's hat better than the one in 2009 pirates. pirate_laugh2.gif

ummm... I don't see any rumors 'bout a possible comeback of the pirate theme in 2014.

and I think you are overlooking some facts that might indicate something, or at least be a teaser.

First of all a release of this set:

http://www.1000stein...850839_alt1.jpg

than we have Tiki Warrior in CMF

http://www.eurobrick...-1381125199.jpg

and now we also see this LEGO movie set with pirate elements in it.

I don't know for you guys, but maybe there is some pirate cooking the LEGO kitchen. Keeping my fingers crossed for a come back of Pirate vs Islanders Theme.

Edited by Flea

I'm not so sure about any inclusion of "islanders". Thing is, companies have to be a lot more PC nowadays, so LEGO would probably sidestep a theme about indigenous peoples all together.

I'm not so sure about any inclusion of "islanders". Thing is, companies have to be a lot more PC nowadays, so LEGO would probably sidestep a theme about indigenous peoples all together.

Ah yeah... They seem to have included an Island Warrior one of their recent minifigure series...

LEGO Minifig Series 11 - Island Warrior.jpg

I would assume TLG would stick to the formula of classic Pirates: pirates vs islanders would be ok, imperials vs islanders would not, so as not to raise issues of colonialism and clash of civilizations. Though I wonder whether TLG would condone a faction of "bad guy" islanders (violent, barbaric, cannibalistic, superstitious, etc) or whether the PR people would think it's too dangerously close to racism and stereotyping. (I'm talking about in-house themes, I'm aware iof the Pelegosto natives in the PotC set.)

Ah yeah... They seem to have included an Island Warrior one of their recent minifigure series...

LEGO Minifig Series 11 - Island Warrior.jpg

Oh wow, I hadn't paid attention to that one- I'm surprised that people were fine with that. I was only speaking from experience in an organization that I had been a part of that facilitated representation of local Native Americans- maybe it was only a local thing though. It is interesting though to think about protagonists and antagonists in the theme, because I never saw any one group as good or bad- especially in the 2009 revival.