just2good

2013 LEGO Pirates rumors and discussion.

Well technically 2014 is Lego Pirate's 25th Anniversary so even if there are no new PoTC sets you might hope Lego throws us some kind of bone next year.

Perhaps an exclusive. Perhaps a pirate ship to go along with the Imperial flagship.

NOOOOO!!! There are plenty of large pirate ships.

It's time for a Spanish Galleon to transport the mighty Imperial Armada to the New World!

NOOOOO!!! There are plenty of large pirate ships.

It's time for a Spanish Galleon to transport the mighty Imperial Armada to the New World!

I agree, but it's hard to break to you Governor, but it is highly unlikely that TLG would make a Spanish Galleon. :sceptic:

I agree, but it's hard to break to you Governor, but it is highly unlikely that TLG would make a Spanish Galleon. :sceptic:

A generic galleon then. :wink:

I always wondered whether political correctness stopped TLG from developping the Imperial Armada subtheme. Too similar to the Spanish/Portuguese, bad memories for the people of Latin America, etc. But the CM conquistador gives me hope that TLG might look again to this era. A galleon full of conquistadors in more realistic-colored armor than the golden conquistador would be nice, as the pirates and imperials already got their upgraded big ships.

I read it, and I have to agree with you. But one can still hope :classic:

That's for sure, you can't take away someone's hope. But one must still have logic. :pir-classic:

Perhaps an exclusive. Perhaps a pirate ship to go along with the Imperial flagship.

I think that they will try to slip in at least one large exclusive set to hold us over until the next movie. It could be either Classic Pirates or PotC. Either way chances are it would be a ship. If classic then a large compliment to the Imperial Flagship. Something a little leaner and faster like a Pirate vessel. Like that unreleased ship we can see in the design room pics.

If a PotC set, than either the long desired Flying Dutchman, or one of the Royal Navy ships. Most likely the Interceptor for its interesting coloring. Or maybe something unexpected like a Shipwreck Cove set of a size like Diagonal Alley. Lots of figs, play features, a smaller pirate ship and the brethren court.

Why would you write something as misguided as that?

Why would you write something as misguided as that?

Wait, what? I want a Spanish galleon as much as anyone here. I would love you to show me proof that I am wrong. Because if I'm wrong, then let's go Spanish armada! :sweet:

I would love you to show me proof that I am wrong.

Until the LEGO Group officially announces a set there is no legitimate proof, however there is no reason the LEGO Group would not release a Spanish Galleon set at some point in the future.

Until the LEGO Group officially announces a set there is no legitimate proof, however there is no reason the LEGO Group would not release a Spanish Galleon set at some point in the future.

True, but it would be more likely that TLG would release a "normal" Pirates theme whether one with Conquistadors, etc.

True, but it would be more likely that TLG would release a "normal" Pirates theme whether one with Conquistadors, etc.

That's just your assumption. At present there is no evidence to suggest the LEGO Group is more likely to release a Spanish Galleon as part of a theme opposed to releasing one as an exclusive. Anything could happen.

That's just your assumption. At present there is no evidence to suggest the LEGO Group is more likely to release a Spanish Galleon as part of a theme opposed to releasing one as an exclusive. Anything could happen.

I realize that, but we are lucky if we get anything at this moment. And the LEGO Group will probably try to stay away from Historical themes and/or sets. A Armada Ship would be to close to Spain and Portugal, which wouldn't be a good seller in South America. And if the LEGO group release a Armada ship, it probably won't have realistic mini-figs. But as you said, anything can happen. There is a Pirate ship in the LEGO designer room, which might mean we could get ship in the near (kinda) future. At this point I'll be happy no matter what we get. :pirate:

Yes, any ships are fine with me, but LEGO does tend to avoid historical sets. I consider Armada to be as close to a Spanish set as they'll make, and It would actually be awesome if they made it again. :sweet:

And the LEGO Group will probably try to stay away from Historical themes and/or sets.

Why?

LEGO does tend to avoid historical sets.

Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings/Hobbit, Kingdoms and Pharaohs Quest not enough for you?

Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings/Hobbit, Kingdoms and Pharaohs Quest not enough for you?

Those are fictional series, though.

All I'm saying is that they could make a galleon, but it probably wouldn't have a Spanish flag on it, but a redcoat/bluecoat/armada one.

Edited by Grimmbeard

Why?

I went through many discussions when I first came to Eurobricks about the LEGO Group having a Napoleonic Theme. Just like TLG releasing a WW2 theme, that's never going to happen because it has two real life historical factions and one has to win. A WW2 theme might offend Jews, French, and/or veterans. And all of those themes you have listed are not historical. Those theme don't have have a real life historical faction. :wink:

I went through many discussions when I first came to Eurobricks about the LEGO Group having a Napoleonic Theme. Just like TLG releasing a WW2 theme, that's never going to happen because it has two real life historical factions and one has to win. A WW2 theme might offend Jews, French, and/or veterans. And all of those themes you have listed are not historical. Those theme don't have have a real life historical faction. :wink:

It depends on how you look at it. Lego did very nearly have a semi Napoleanic theme known as "Europa". There are pictures out there of the prototypes. Just in playtesting Lego found that the kids much preferred Pirates, so the theme evolved into Pirates. Many of the Pirate parts were actually designed for the Napoleanic theme, such as the Shako's.

As far as a Spanish Galleon, Lego does have a clear path for making one. If the PotC license is still active, then three Galleons appeared in On Stranger Tides. While a minor appearance, it certainly isn't much less than the Corsair Ships appearance in Return of the King. Otherwise yeah, they would probably make it under their Bluecoat Armada markings. (Although technically isn't the Lego Queen Anne's Revenge and the Black Pearl both considered Galleon's?)

It depends on how you look at it. Lego did very nearly have a semi Napoleanic theme known as "Europa". There are pictures out there of the prototypes. Just in playtesting Lego found that the kids much preferred Pirates, so the theme evolved into Pirates. Many of the Pirate parts were actually designed for the Napoleanic theme, such as the Shako's.

That's just it, Europa never was released. But we could get a galleon in Potc, as you said.

OK, the problem is you're using "historical" in a vague context. What you're actually referring to are sets based on real world historical events, while I was referring to themes inspired by historic events.

Outside of exclusives, the LEGO Group hasn't released thematic sets based on real world events, but that doesn't mean they will never produce a theme inspired by Napoleonic wars.

Why does a LEGO set/theme need to be based on real life history anyway? While the LEGO Group produces historically themed elements, the builder can determine whether their creation is based on fact or pure fiction.

Like, Faefrost mentioned, the "Europa" theme entered a prototype phase but eventually became LEGO Pirates. Nonetheless, the blue-coat soldiers are now used both as an opposing pirate faction and for Napoleonic war creations.

That's just it, Europa never was released.

While it has never been confirmed why Europa wasn't released, it's most likely wasn't the reason you're assuming.

OK, the problem is you're using "historical" in a vague context. What you're actually referring to are sets based on real world historical events, while I was referring to themes inspired by historic events.

Outside of exclusives, the LEGO Group hasn't released thematic sets based on real world events, but that doesn't mean they will never produce a theme inspired by Napoleonic wars.

Why does a LEGO set/theme need to be based on real life history anyway? While the LEGO Group produces historically themed elements, the builder can determine whether their creation is based on fact or pure fiction.

Like, Faefrost mentioned, the "Europa" theme entered a prototype phase but eventually became LEGO Pirates. Nonetheless, the blue-coat soldiers are now used both as an opposing pirate faction and for Napoleonic war creations.

Know I agree with you there. Sets inspired by Historical events. I understand where your coming from there. I thought you meant based. But you are completely right about inspired. So that's where you got these from:

And about Europa, I assume that the theme was never released because Pirates seemed more popular with kids. :wink:

And about Europa, I assume that the theme was never released because Pirates seemed more popular with kids. :wink:

Yeah, that's basically the consensus I've seen whenever it's mentioned.

There is probably more than one reason why Europa wasn't released, but pirates, specifically buccaneers seem more fun and adventurous due to being a romanticized genre, whereas Napoleonic Wars fiction is usually depicted in a more serious done.

Although, pirates may not have enjoyed the popularity in the late 1980's which they have now. There were no major pirate film franchises or product lines, at best there was the 1986 films "The Goonies" and "Pirates" starring Walter Matthau, Sid Meier's Pirates released in 1987 and maybe Playmobil Pirates. However, I can't seem to find any decent Playmobil pirate fansites to research whether their pirate theme influenced the LEGO Pirates theme.

Although, pirates may not have enjoyed the popularity in the late 1980's which they have now. There were no major pirate film franchises or product lines, at best there was the 1986 films "The Goonies" and "Pirates" starring Walter Matthau, Sid Meier's Pirates released in 1987 and maybe Playmobil Pirates. However, I can't seem to find any decent Playmobil pirate fansites to research whether their pirate theme influenced the LEGO Pirates theme.

There were a ton of big name big screen Pirate movies between 1981 and 1991. 2 versions of Pirates of Penzance, 3 of Treasure Island, a couple of major and minor ones including a Roman Polanski one. And not to mention Hook in 1991. Granted none of them hit the general consciousness quite as well as PotC and Johnny Depps Jack Sparrow. So there was some inspiration floating around to trigger the theme.