CM4Sci

LEGO Castle 2013

''Not as generous on the minifigures''. We did get an excellent army builder battle pack this year and at a very good price too.

Agree! Down in Australia the forest ambush set was going for $9, not a bad price considering you get 4 figures, i bought ten sets which cost me $90, a very good price for 40 mini figs.

I really hope we get some castle sets that are like those of the 90s, with darker settings and castles and factions. For me, the shiny blue is very boring

I do. But I think the next wave will be in summer, like 2013, and it is too early to show up in retailers' catalogs.

I do. But I think the next wave will be in summer, like 2013, and it is too early to show up in retailers' catalogs.

Thank you :classic: . I mean I didn't really expect to get any in the 2014 Winter wave. Unless of course we get an exclusive, thats always a possibility.

Yeah, there's nothing in the retailer's catalog about Castle.

-Sci

Yeah, there's nothing in the retailer's catalog about Castle.

-Sci

Yes i doubt very much we will see castle in 2014 with all the other themes coming out.

I honestly just think the whole castles theme is over used this is like what the 3rd time they are doing this? They did kingdoms I think it was with the trolls and such then castles theme with the red and gold like castle versus the guys in green then they are doing it again but with different lego dudes.

All the original themes get "reboots" every few years... it's been worse with castle, it's true, but they're all like that. On the upside, it's what allows someone to get a castle set, since a new one gets released every few years. Otherwise, the kids that missed it never get the chance.

Castle has been particularly bad, though. I still contend fantasy was prematurely dumped because of the possibility of getting LOTR, even f it wasn't a done deal, and it's why we never got fantasy era elves, even though they were quite obviously 'on the map.'

Do you guys think we will see an exclusive in this years winter wave though?

I highly doubt it - Castle didn't get MMV till it's last year, and the Joust was released after the last Kingdoms wave. Also the Joust is still on LEGO.com, so my semi-educated guess would be that unless this Castle gets 1-2 more waves (With an exclusive at the end) there won't be one.

So this is that Castle Cavalry set from the Movie theme:

flyingfortress.jpeg

It's got a bit of this year's theme to it. Cool!

-Sci

So this is that Castle Cavalry set from the Movie theme:

It's got a bit of this year's theme to it. Cool!

-Sci

If you look at some of the still covered sets, it is obvious that many of these sets either have a conversion mechanism or are 2 in 1 builds. IE the Ice Cream Truck has both a normal Ice Cream Truck mode and a flying attack vehicle mode. So this may convert into some sort of gate house pr watch tower? It's kind of nice to see the molded lion head facade piece again.

Edited by Faefrost

So essentially the Movie tie in sets are supposed to look like they've been built by a 5yr old who's been given a bunch of unrelated spare bricks by his elder brother, makes what he can and lets imagination do the rest....

Well, you're close. But I'd say it's more like if a 30-year-old model designer were developing a high-quality model based on a 5-year-old's concept. In other words, think Axe Cop, but as a LEGO theme instead of a webcomic!

If you look at some of the still covered sets, it is obvious that many of these sets either have a conversion mechanism or are 2 in 1 builds. IE the Ice Cream Truck has both a normal Ice Cream Truck mode and a flying attack vehicle mode. So this may convert into some sort of gate house pr watch tower? It's kind of nice to see the molded lion head facade piece again.

Yep, that seems to be the genral idea. And yeah, that molded lion piece is one of those pieces I want to hate but can't. It's so specialized, but at the same time it's such a gorgeous detail for so many models!

Wow! Not very original, but still a solid set! Hope it has an alternate build.

I find it weird to have a cavalry set without horses....

Agreed. :wacko:

What a horrible set model. Nice funky moc, useful parts, but horrible set model.

Not too thrilled with our new "Castle" set. Will wait to see the alternate model, maybe that will change my mind...

All of the Lego movie sets that do not include any of the main characters are 2 in 1 sets. The Castle Cavalry is not just a podracer, it is also a tower it seems.

Edited by Penkid11

Well, you're close. But I'd say it's more like if a 30-year-old model designer were developing a high-quality model based on a 5-year-old's concept. In other words, think Axe Cop, but as a LEGO theme instead of a webcomic!

Having seen the shots rather than just a textual description I agree with what you've said and understand that they're using that "looks like it was made by a 5yr old" vibe to drive the design of the series. Castle feels a bit under-represented with just 1 set, whereas the western theme seemed to get 3 sets and lots of City.

I actually quite like the series and think it will really appeal to kids but I can see why a lot of the AFOL's are disappointed: "I wanted more of my favourite theme and Lego didn't give it to me!". Those people expecting a horses and soldiers battlepack when they read the world Cavalry are obviously disappointed, their use of the word Cavalry probably stems from the "cavalry to the rescue" phrase where someone (usually the cavalry) charge in towards the end to save-the-day or win-the-battle.

It will be interesting to see what the alternate builds are. Given the pieces it'll be a small stretch of wall or a tower for the castle and a cart of some sort.

The series isn't at all what I expected, but I'm definitely tempted to pick up one or two of the sets.

I buy for parts anyway, so it doesn't matter to me what TLG designs. Building TLG's idea of a castle doesn't appeal to me, but the parts to build something realistic does.