CM4Sci

LEGO Castle 2013

I've never owned barding before, so I had no idea :sceptic:

The set is awesome. I strongly recommend it.

In the US I have only seen them at Toys R Us has anyone seen them any where else? I hate paying the mark up.

In the US I have only seen them at Toys R Us has anyone seen them any where else? I hate paying the mark up.

I've seen them at Walmart, Target, and the LEGO store.

Huh. Never seen them at Walmart or target and where I live has the closest to walmarts in the world. That bugs me. Guess I will just have to wait and see. Thank you for the information.

I think they are still slow to release them. I saw them at a target tonight, but they never got any of the lone ranger sets that came out in April. I think target is really hit/miss. As far as Wal-Marts, no idea. We rarely make it to one because they are on the outskirts of town and the targets are near our house/work. I would say keep an eye open.

I ordered mine off Amazon because I live in England. They have good prices on Amazon.

Out of the three Targets and Walmarts I go to check out LEGOs, two Targets have them and only one Walmart does. The Walmart that does has them in the middle of the main aisle near the toy section, not in the LEGO section at all. The Castle 2013 and LotR 2013 availability was the same at all these stores too.

My local Target splits Lego by genre, and the Wal-Mart down the road from it doesn't get much in the way of Lego. There are two other Wal-Mart stores and a Sam's Club in Gainesville, but they are a bit of a stretch for me and they sell out of Lego real quickly.

Since Lego Shop At Home now has free shipping for orders over $75 (US) and Google Chrome makes the site work correctly, I'll probably be using it from now on. I may go to Target from time to time for Collectable Minifigs (no TRU mark up), but my major shopping will be SAH.

I have now built Gatehouse Raid (minus the stickers) and find it to be nicely detailed, but will be dismantling it soon (along with an MOC and Council of Elrond) for some future MOCs.

Castle sets are now available to Australia on S@H, should be in shops in a month's time.

Castle sets are now available to Australia on S@H, should be in shops in a month's time.

The prices are more reasonable than I thought they would be - the smallests set is only $1 more than the US RRP and the Castle is $30 cheaper than the Kingdoms castle was despite having more pieces.

The prices are more reasonable than I thought they would be - the smallests set is only $1 more than the US RRP and the Castle is $30 cheaper than the Kingdoms castle was despite having more pieces.

I couldn't quite remember the price of the Kingdoms one, I thought maybe $150, but you're right, it was $170! $13 is pretty darn good value for the Forest Ambush set, 4 minifigs for less than $20 is unseen.

Thanks. I was worried that the barding was a sticker for a minute!

Oh my gosh, don't say that too loud, you might give LEGO an idea. Seriously, I can see LEGO turning printed barding into stickers. :sick:

Oh my gosh, don't say that too loud, you might give LEGO an idea. Seriously, I can see LEGO turning printed barding into stickers. :sick:

Shhh! We don't want them realizing its possible to do it now. The old barding piece had more curves in the rear end, making it not a good choice for stickers. The new piece is much flatter along the sides to allow for the hinged rear legs.

I bough 70400 few days ago and I have to admit that I have slowly drifted from the initial dislike to quite liking the dragon faction. I would have preferred some less used heraldric subject, of course, but disregarding that I think the new dragon logo is pretty good. At first when the preliminary pictures leaked it looked awkwardly like the prehistoric squirrel from the Ice Age movies, but that impression has faded. It isn't overly cartoony either. Red-and-black colour scheme with pearl grey highlights isn't exactly original, but I think it was pulled off nicely. Sometimes we can allow ourselves to embrace the cliches, can't we? These guys are well suited for the menacing army of the evil Dragon Empire. They are certainly very clearly typecasted to be evil, no denying that, so no luck for those who would have preferred more neutral factions.

Paradoxically I'm less impressed with the good faction, Crowned Lions as I think I'll call them. The emblem itself is passable, much better than its 90s model at least, but somehow the characters just end up looking uninspired and boring. It's like the designers couldn't decide whether they should go boldly with the bright blue-and-white colour scheme (which, from a Finnish point of view, could have been cool) or use dark and muted colours. The resulting combination of bright blue and dark bley just does not mesh, in my opinion. Also, the white printed too thinly on the dark bley torso ends up looking very drab.

Haltiamieli, I felt similarly after finally seeing some assembled sets in person at the Lego store. Dragon Mountain looked better than it had in the hi-res photos, the Gatehouse looked a little square and dull, even though I still like the detailing on the roof, etc. But I also know that I would have *loved* these sets when I was 9 or 10.

I wished they made wave 3 Kingdom sets instead of these.. :(

I know, right? Lego could have expanded more on the Lion/Dragon conflict and added some villager related sets or something.

Well... They KINDA did... Haha.

Yeah, you're right. I guess 'resolved' would have been a better word. :P

Yeah, I may pick up another joust, 4 chess sets is probably enough... I wish I would have picked up another MMV when they were out.

The Castle sets are at my local John Lewis store. Forest Ambush is selling really well but the others are doing pretty badly.

I bough 70400 few days ago and I have to admit that I have slowly drifted from the initial dislike to quite liking the dragon faction. I would have preferred some less used heraldric subject, of course, but disregarding that I think the new dragon logo is pretty good. At first when the preliminary pictures leaked it looked awkwardly like the prehistoric squirrel from the Ice Age movies, but that impression has faded. It isn't overly cartoony either. Red-and-black colour scheme with pearl grey highlights isn't exactly original, but I think it was pulled off nicely. Sometimes we can allow ourselves to embrace the cliches, can't we? These guys are well suited for the menacing army of the evil Dragon Empire. They are certainly very clearly typecasted to be evil, no denying that, so no luck for those who would have preferred more neutral factions.

I agree, I am certainly one of those who went from bored when seeing the new Castle in preliminary pictures, to quite impressed when finally seeing it in person and getting to build some sets. I personally like both of the color schemes, even though I thought especially the blue on gold would be too bland - now it's my absolute favourite. The Dragon Knight's red/black, while obviously very cliche, is also suitably sinister and contrasty, it works very well for me too and especially a lot better than the old Kingdoms Dragon Kingdom colors, which were quite bad. Now, neither of these are Black Falcons, mind you, but that might be asking too much... :wink:

Our latest builds are the 70400 and the 70403 Dragon Mountain, where certainly the dragon is the highlight of all the (smallish) sets that we have. I also liked the spiral stairs on the Dragon Mountain, although the used part took some getting, well, used to. I popped a few comments and pictures on these online here http://questforbricks.wordpress.com/2013/08/18/70400-forest-ambush/ and here http://questforbricks.wordpress.com/2013/08/18/70403-dragon-mountain-22/ - in case anyone wants to see further.

I agree, I am certainly one of those who went from bored when seeing the new Castle in preliminary pictures, to quite impressed when finally seeing it in person and getting to build some sets. I personally like both of the color schemes, even though I thought especially the blue on gold would be too bland - now it's my absolute favourite. The Dragon Knight's red/black, while obviously very cliche, is also suitably sinister and contrasty, it works very well for me too and especially a lot better than the old Kingdoms Dragon Kingdom colors, which were quite bad. Now, neither of these are Black Falcons, mind you, but that might be asking too much... :wink:

Black Falcons never struck me as an evil faction the way the two most recent dragon factions have. There was nothing sinister about the :classic: face, so the only thing to suggest that they were bad was the conflict with the crusaders, and to me, they were just different kingdoms. Neither good or bad, just at conflict with each other. Oh, and I was in the prime 5-12 age range during that time, so suggesting that little kids can't develop their own storylines is silly. It's the biggest thing I hate about Lego now. They try to dictate the story to kids rather than letting kids come up with the story themselves. My daughter loves knights and dragons and castly stuff, but hates the mean faces on the bad faction minifigs.

As for this new Castle line, I had been reluctant to pick up any of the sets based on the pics, but I love castle too much to ignore it. When there was a good sale locally this weekend, I caved in and bought several of the sets. I also liked the faction colors much more than I expected, and I think the problem was one of the photography. The reds and blues are a bit less bright than suggested by the photos. The photo colors reminded me of the jelly bean era, but that wasn't my reaction when I opened the packages and put them together. I love the dragon. Forest Ambush is a great little army builder even with flick fire missles. I don't much care for them, but I know I would've liked them as a kid. I was also pleasantly surprised by the use of gold spears on the front of the Dragon Mountain catapult rather than using animal spikes.