CM4Sci

LEGO Castle 2013

...As for the 'good' guys, I never liked the lion. Even as a kid, I was for the Eagles. Back then, there were no good or evil factions. But even when there were such, I liked the Wolves and the Dragons more than the Lions. And now with the Lion being Lannister's sigil I have trouble seeing the Lion Knights as good, no matter how 'good' their faces are painted.

Well, you could always just call your Lion Knights Tyrion & Bronn?! Or else think of them as House Reynes, despite how the song ends.

While I prefer the last batch of Dragon Knights, these new one are still pretty solid, and I could be tempted to build a small army of them - led by Prince Rhaegar of corse! :wink:

So i was looking around ebay when i came across this http://www.ebay.com/itm/OXFORD-BRICK-BLOCK-Empire-EM-3351-847PCS-/120949917724?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item1c292d481c

Looks familiar doesnt it. Seems to be a rip off of the castle set.

That same comparison was made when we were first getting pics of the new sets... personally, I think that Oxford set looks a lot closer to the Kingdoms castle than the new one... it has many of the stylistic hallmarks and building techniques of the Kingdoms castle, including the narrower gatehouse, the crossed weapons above the gate, the pyramid-shaped tower roof, the slope bricks under the windows, etc. Color scheme is perhaps the only aspect in which it's closer to the new castle.

Well, with people seeing similarities on both sides, that can be said how similar the Kingdoms and Castle and Oxford castles are. But the same can be said for a traditional castle design and how to incorporate that into LEGO form. They mostly will look pretty similar I'm sure.

Thank you very much for the information, the links and the pictures! :classic:

The new torsos and the horse rugs are great! :thumbup:

Apart from that the sets are imo low quality and completely <insert that tiresome argument> with a focus nearly only on action - a mixture between Knights Kingdoms, FA Castle and Kingdoms which regrettably turned into nothing good. :thumbdown:

I was that much hoping that TLG will build on the awesome Kingdoms theme from 2010/2011 and give us a decent castle for the dragon knights, a wall with a siege tower (which is since long overdue and which I don't understand why TLG hasn't already released in the past years) and some other, smaller sets. :cry_sad:

Klaus-Dieter

I read on another forum saying this castle is panel fest! using too many wall panels, I then realized 6080 had at least 30 wall panels and yet most people praise that set? I'm sure 70404 doesn't have more than 15 lol

I read on another forum saying this castle is panel fest! using too many wall panels, I then realized 6080 had at least 30 wall panels and yet most people praise that set? I'm sure 70404 doesn't have more than 15 lol

I'd place the count for the new castle at 18-20, myself... there are four panels on the gatehouse, three on the front wall, four on each of the side walls, and I imagine at least three on the back wall. Plus there are twelve corner panels, a variety that wasn't available in the days of 6080, so the difference in overall number of panels is negligible. Of course, the overall piece count of the new one is higher, partly because the standard of detail has increased since the castle sets of the 80s and partly since it seems to be a genuinely larger set.

Panels are an integral part of big castle building as far as official sets go. Whatever issues I might have with this new theme don't have anything to do with panel count.

I like the new Castle theme, except there not nearly enough generic soilder type of minfigures in the King's Castle set. Back in the 1980's and early 1990's, a large castle set would have four castle archers, four other castle soilders and four knights on horseback (each knight has his own horse, with a grand total of four horses). Then, it starting in 1995, LEGO started cheaping out on the horses and minifigures in that year's big castle, although it had 10 minifigures and 3 horses. However things didn't really start to go downhill figuratively until 2000 when the Kinghts' Kingdom theme had only one horse (for the king) and 8 minfigures (including the skeleton), and now we don't even get that many in the new King's Castle. I hate it when I have to buy so many of the same set just to a decent number of medeival knights, horses and foot soilders to make armies out of them, and it can be very expensive to do so, especially with my limited funds, LEGO in always discontining sets only a year or even less after they come out on the market and the fact that LEGO (and almost everything else) is quite a bit more expensive here in Canada, compared to the US, which I live close to the border to there but have no practical means to go across the border to the US (there is no public transportaion that goes anywhere near the border on either side).

Edited by Good Cragger Fan

I like the new Castle theme, except there not nearly enough generic soilder type of minfigures in the King's Castle set. Back in the 1980's and early 1990's, a large castle set would have four castle archers, four other castle soilders and four knights on horseback (each knight has his own horse, with a grand total of four horses). Then, it starting in 1995, LEGO started cheaping out on the horses and minifigures in that year's big castle, although it had 10 minifigures and 3 horses. However things didn't really start to go downhill figuratively until 2000 when the Kinghts' Kingdom theme had only one horse (for the king) and 8 minfigures (including the skeleton), and now we don't even get that many in the new King's Castle. I hate it when I have to buy so many of the same set just to a decent number of medeival knights, horses and foot soilders to make armies out of them, and it can be very expensive to do so, especially with my limited funds, LEGO in always discontining sets only a year or even less after they come out on the market and the fact that LEGO (and almost everything else) is quite a bit more expensive here in Canada, compared to the US, which I live close to the border to there but have no practical means to go across the border to the US (there is no public transportaion that goes anywhere near the border on either side).

One word: Bricklink! The basic troops that come in the $10 set should be around $2 each once they hit the market.

~Dwarf

One word: Bricklink! The basic troops that come in the $10 set should be around $2 each once they hit the market.

~Dwarf

I strongly prefer to not shop online on Bricklink, Ebay or any other online website other than www.shop.lego.com or maybe even www.amazon.ca (when the products that in in question there are sold directly by amazon), unless it is absolutely necessary and only as a last resort -- as I live in the western side of Canada, where there are very few Bricklink sellers; I have limited funds, and when I part with my cash, I do not like to have to wait so long for Canada Post and/or UPS and/or Federal Express to mail my orders to my house. (I even don't like to order anything through any kind of mail-in order system, be it over the telephone, through regular mail or through any online store and/or website.) This is not to mention that, with my limited funds, I could get scammed through any mail-in order system and/or my order gets lost and/or stolen and/or damaged in it being shipped to my house and thus would have wasted money, perhaps a lot of money, on me placing the order, and the shipping costs can be very high, even if I just buy through a seller in the U.S., whose address is just across the international border from me. (I live about 30 to 45 minutes from the international border, by car, but I don't have a car, and there is no public transit that goes anywhere near the border on either side of it.) Therefore, I really rather to buy LEGO products and parts from a brick-and-motar store, where I don't have to play the waiting game for my order to arrive at my house and don't have to pay any shipping and handling charges -- thank goodness for the LEGO Brand Retail Store in Vancouver in being opened up last year, as it was very hard to get exclusive LEGO products and Pick-A-Brick parts, aside from the odd vacation trip down to the U.S., before that time. (I generally only order from shop.lego.com when there is a free shipping promotion that is going on then).

I strongly prefer to not shop online on Bricklink, Ebay or any other online website other than www.shop.lego.com or maybe even www.amazon.ca (when the products that in in question there are sold directly by amazon), unless it is absolutely necessary and only as a last resort -- as I live in the western side of Canada, where there are very few Bricklink sellers; I have limited funds, and when I part with my cash, I do not like to have to wait so long for Canada Post and/or UPS and/or Federal Express to mail my orders to my house. (I even don't like to order anything through any kind of mail-in order system, be it over the telephone, through regular mail or through any online store and/or website.) This is not to mention that, with my limited funds, I could get scammed through any mail-in order system and/or my order gets lost and/or stolen and/or damaged in it being shipped to my house and thus would have wasted money, perhaps a lot of money, on me placing the order, and the shipping costs can be very high, even if I just buy through a seller in the U.S., whose address is just across the international border from me. (I live about 30 to 45 minutes from the international border, by car, but I don't have a car, and there is no public transit that goes anywhere near the border on either side of it.) Therefore, I really rather to buy LEGO products and parts from a brick-and-motar store, where I don't have to play the waiting game for my order to arrive at my house and don't have to pay any shipping and handling charges -- thank goodness for the LEGO Brand Retail Store in Vancouver in being opened up last year, as it was very hard to get exclusive LEGO products and Pick-A-Brick parts, aside from the odd vacation trip down to the U.S., before that time. (I generally only order from shop.lego.com when there is a free shipping promotion that is going on then).

I wouldn't worry a whole lot about scammers on Bricklink - just go with the ones with the most positive feedback and you'll be fine. Plus, since Lego is very lightweight, shipping for just minifigs and accessories shouldn't be too high. You just have to do what you have to do if you want to army-build. Learn to love the mail order!

~Dwarf

Edited by dwarf-brik

Back in the 1980's and early 1990's, a large castle set would have four castle archers, four other castle soilders and four knights on horseback (each knight has his own horse, with a grand total of four horses).

My beloved 6074 Black Falcon's Fortress came with two archers, two other soldiers, and two knights on horseback. It only had two shields, too. But oh, what a wonderful set it was (and is.) Wouldn't part with it! :-)

It is a little tougher to build armies now, since Lego doesn't keep sets going for as long. But this new Castle theme has the Forest Ambush set as a ready-made army builder. Four soldiers, two shields, four or five weapons, a little treasure cart, and a DOG! That's a lot of stuff for $10.

The blacksmith shop was a pretty amazing army builder (of sorts) with the dragon knight, the blacksmith, the 5 new weapons and a chicken!

I would've thought that the little dragon gate set was more of an "army build" kind of set than the others. Mounted knight + 3 other soldiers. 2 from each side too. I think I got that set 4 times, and all the others from both years once each.

My beloved 6074 Black Falcon's Fortress came with two archers, two other soldiers, and two knights on horseback. It only had two shields, too. But oh, what a wonderful set it was (and is.) Wouldn't part with it! :-)

It is a little tougher to build armies now, since Lego doesn't keep sets going for as long. But this new Castle theme has the Forest Ambush set as a ready-made army builder. Four soldiers, two shields, four or five weapons, a little treasure cart, and a DOG! That's a lot of stuff for $10.

Yes, that may be true there, but how long will it be on the shelves in brick-and-motar retail stores, me never mind about getting them at LEGO Shop-At-Home. (Will it be only one year or even less than that -- you should think of how long the second wave of Kingdoms lasted in brick-and motar retail stores, which was only about six months!). :damn::cry3::wall::ugh::enough: I am saying this because it is very difficult for me, personally, to get very many copies of this set in one transaction, as I am on a fixed income.

I would've thought that the little dragon gate set was more of an "army build" kind of set than the others. Mounted knight + 3 other soldiers. 2 from each side too. I think I got that set 4 times, and all the others from both years once each.

I agree there! To bad it wasn't out a whole year and I didn't have much money for LEGO sets when it was out so I had to get one copy off of eBay…

Now, back on topic, does anyone think there'll be polybags? And if there are when would some info start poping up?

I hope that these sets last on shelves longer than the 2nd wave of Kingdoms did, because I won't be able to get all the sets I want in 6 months. I will need more time than that to get the ones I desire, especially 70403 Dragon Mountain. I guess that we'll just have to wait and see how long this wave of sets lasts when it is released.

I really like the sets. I always wanted to build a huge army, but with these sets, that won't work, :cry_sad: unless I buy more than one of each set, and that is what I am going to do. :classic:

yeah

*******edit******** Sorry....not sure what the yeah is for....I walked away from the computer to make breakfast for the kids and my 7 year old decided that he wanted to post something. Not sure what he even read that he was saying yeah to!

Edited by Kayne