CM4Sci

LEGO Castle 2013

I believe these will be released in June. so except to start seeing them appear in May.

I highly doubt that they will be released in May for June when we've just been told August. Especially if we've also been told that the new LOTR sets are being released in June. Expect to start seeing THEM appear in May, but these sets? Not likely.

The pictures that FBTB took from the New York Toy Fair make these sets look even better. I'm still not sold on the box art for any of the sets apart from Dragon Mountain, which is also easily my favourite set from this wave so far. I still don't like the Forest Ambush set, though all the other sets are on my want list. The dragon looks better and better each time, and quite frankly I don't think it needs to be much more detailed than it is, though more colour variety would be appreciated by me. I find it strange that this theme seems to be based on the Lions and the Dragons fighting for treasure. An interesting concept, but a very weird one as well.

Bring on Summer 2013!

I was hoping for a more detailed castle, and more intricate, but this will do. I don't know why they like to reuse the lion so much as the mascot for the good guys; Lego has the potential to have much more interesting emblems.

I would love Gryphons (Gold and green) vs Vipers (Silver and Black) series :D

But, let's back on topic. It makes me extremly happy that we probably will get 2 locks in every set it is in. (You know, one will be the spare).

And I must admit I like how they put gold studless studs to imitate gold.

And anyone noticedthat we will get a PoTC gold sprue? The one with 1,2,5,10 coins and two gold bars? I hope we will get the corrct- chromed version this time! :D

In the Dragon Mountain set, I spied the chrome gold bars. Given that the bars are represented on the box art, I would expect to see one of these in at least three of the five sets. I see no chest in Gatehouse Raid and the box art of Forest Ambush leads me to believe the gold in that set is pearl gold.

From the video posted on the speiletest.at site, it appears that the armored blue Lion knights might have a completely different torso than the other three knights. The belt on the hips have some sort of printing. (It might just be the chain mail torso on armored leg assembly, though, as it looks like a crown belt buckle peeking out from under the armor.)

The armored Dragon knights appear to have the same torso as the conical helmet knights: the torso with silver shoulderguards and a silver belt. So it looks like the Dragons get two torsos, and the Lion/Crowns get three or possibly four torsos.

Although I'm not a fan of bright blue, it is nice that we'll be getting bright blue plumes for the first time. The Dragon torsos, armor, and barding look great -- but they'd look even cooler in dark red rather than bright red. I guess bright red and bright blue is more kid-friendly.

Looking back over recent years, the "bad guys" have tended to get the better barding: Vladek's excellent dark red and silver barding, the Kingdoms Dragons' gorgeous dark green and gold barding, and now this Dragon's red and black barding. I'm not as keen on the Fantasy Era Crownie King or Knight bardings, the Kingdoms Lion King's barding, or this Lion/Crown barding -- and KK2 Mathias's periwinkle barding was just strange -- but I did like the Kingdoms Lion Knight's barding.

Saving up my money for August...

post-36688-0-03447500-1360795137_thumb.jpg

post-36688-0-49636000-1360795444_thumb.jpg

Edited by pup

With the smalest set looking to be at about $12 usd a piece... i think its gonna be an easy army building castle line. If i do remember correctly , Kingdoms didnt have a battle pack type set. I remember the one sided battle packs but no packs with both factions. I actually like the lion crownie mix that they came up with, I guess i still remember my lion knights from the early 90s. AHH the good ol days.

Well, kingdoms had the escape from Dragon's prison set and the prison carriage escape set, both had decent army building numbers of figures. And especially since both were on 50% clearance around here non-stop.

I'm definately going to grab a Dragon Mountain set - for obvious reasons! (I think I'll name my little dragon Drogon!;))

I'm also tempted by the Gold Getaway and the Gatehouse Raid, as that set is the slightly cheaper way to get a set of the Dragon Knights plate armour.

I think the best thing about this line is the figures. To me the most of the set designs are not very appealing to me. The other thing that I don't get is, why Lego doesn't have more minfigs with there big castle sets? Many old castle sets use to come with 12 figs ,4 horsemen,4 archers and 4 guards. I was suprised when I saw the new castle has a king, 1 knight, 1 guard, and 1 archer, and then 3 bad guys. I wish they would go back and basically make sets with one faction instead of mixing sets with 4 good guys and 3 bad... If these sets make it to a second wave I'm curious to see what other sets they woukd make. Like others have said I think the lion mascot needs to be laid to rest! If it was up to me I would like to see a crusader line silver and white knights with the red cross.... I can dream cant I!!!!!

I think LTG adding both sides to the sets is simply for Little Timmy's benifit.

I can recall as a kid when I got the massive Black Knights Castle set for Xmas in the early 90's, it was great fun to build, but the only reason I enjoyed actually playing with it was because I already had some Wolf Pack bad guys from earlier sets.

On the other hand, when I got my first castle set a few years earlier, the playability wasn't there because I only had one type of minifig. Playing endless civil wars or having daily jousting tournaments with the grunts cheering the same 4 knights on got boring after a bit...

I am personally not a big fan of the "bad guy" dragon figures. I dislike their torso prints. I would like to have black armor and helmets and new shields are always cool with me, but that torso print is really ugly to me. New bardings though... always take those!

I am personally not a big fan of the "bad guy" dragon figures. I dislike their torso prints. I would like to have black armor and helmets and new shields are always cool with me, but that torso print is really ugly to me.

Agreed, they look too much like something from the 90's.

but that torso print is really ugly to me

Agreed, they look too much like something from the 90's.

The good faction has been growing on me and I actually am beginning to like them but something seems off about the bad dragon faction. I have to say they do look "bad" though unlike the green dragons... :laugh: And I also have to say that I would have really liked the armor piece for the dragons if the emblem hadn't been so big.

I am personally not a big fan of the "bad guy" dragon figures. I dislike their torso prints. I would like to have black armor and helmets and new shields are always cool with me, but that torso print is really ugly to me. New bardings though... always take those!

Agreed. I don't think the sets themselves are that bad or that much lesser than the ones in Kingdoms (though I do think they are a bit more "<insert that tiresome argument>" stylistically), but I really don't care for either side as far as the minifigures go. Blue doesn't feel like a very fitting colour for good or bad guys, and LEGO also managed to screw up the otherwise sure-fire red-black colour combination. Neither is horrible, but I much preferred the red-grey and dark green-black of Kingdoms.

I'm actually really tempted to get the King's Castle from this theme and switch out the colours for dark green and turn it into a castle for the dragon knights from Kingdoms.

I'm actually really tempted to get the King's Castle from this theme and switch out the colours for dark green and turn it into a castle for the dragon knights from Kingdoms.

:grin: That's why I want to get 2... 1 original blue & 1 dark green.

The good faction has been growing on me and I actually am beginning to like them but something seems off about the bad dragon faction. I have to say they do look "bad" though unlike the green dragons... :laugh: And I also have to say that I would have really liked the armor piece for the dragons if the emblem hadn't been so big.

Well, to me the big dragon head is most welcome. But, since I am currently reading asoiaf I scan Lego for anything that could be used to recreate the lands of Westeros and Essos, therefore my joy about the red dragon on black.

Besides, it is simply a classic colour choice, albeit not very original (but that what classic means...).

Well, to me the big dragon head is most welcome. But, since I am currently reading asoiaf I scan Lego for anything that could be used to recreate the lands of Westeros and Essos, therefore my joy about the red dragon on black.

Besides, it is simply a classic colour choice, albeit not very original (but that what classic means...).

lol, I really need to stop looking at these any more... the more I look at the sets the more tempted I am to get them all and my initial list of complaints seems to be getting smaller and smaller...

I personally like all the lion torsos except the one with plate on the top half. Whereas I don't like any of dragon torsos. I don't know why but as soon as I saw them I hated them.(Maybe a bit too much like fright knights?)

I'm not a big fan of the new dragon symbol, but I do like the Torsos. The Crown/Lion conglomeration is annoying because it replicates the existing factions so it's not new, but it doesn't match either one so you can't utilize it without combining crown and lion together. Frustratingly useless, especially because I like the color combination of the crown/Lions.

lol, I really need to stop looking at these any more... the more I look at the sets the more tempted I am to get them all and my initial list of complaints seems to be getting smaller and smaller...

Ha, same here - but I discover new things I do not like. The gold (Lion) and silver (Dragon) highlights on the armour are too strongly accentuated, imo. Therefore the colour balance seems a bit off, but I would have to see the minifigs in person.

Still, I am pretty sure to buy a lot of at least the baddies.

As for the 'good' guys, I never liked the lion. Even as a kid, I was for the Eagles. Back then, there were no good or evil factions. But even when there were such, I liked the Wolves and the Dragons more than the Lions. And now with the Lion being Lannister's sigil I have trouble seeing the Lion Knights as good, no matter how 'good' their faces are painted.

Edited by Flieger