CM4Sci

LEGO Castle 2013

Yikes. I must say I am dissapointed at new castle line up. As a huge castle fan and owner of most of castle sets, this seems like a complete remake.

Yay, the 2007 dragon is back!! That right there makes this line so much better than Kingdoms... which other than the introduction of the bucket helmets wasn't very interesting to me (I guess I prefer fantasy over the real world). Only question now is whether to get the dragon set for myself or my little boy... :classic:

Is it just me, or does this castle look almost exactly like the last Kingdoms one?

Thats what I am talking about. Its like a rerun of Kingdoms

wOow!!

This is the first forum in which i see people complaining about this new wave for Castle...yes, it looks indeed like a mix between KK and Castle, but at least for me it's very appealing, although this set in particular i won't be buying due to its similarity to other castles i already own, the Dragon tower one, along with the forest and the chariot ones, are a must due to their design/color scheme which complements with KK, Castle and even Kingdoms...

This set in particular is not that outstanding, however many had applaused its similarity with the very first castle made by TLC, again, not considering it because it's way too similar to others.

Now, if this is the reason why we are not having any Minas Tirith set for LOTR theme, then I would have preferred the White City sets instead of this re-visiting, all along it depends on the way you see it.

Yikes. I must say I am dissapointed at new castle line up. As a huge castle fan and owner of most of castle sets, this seems like a complete remake.

Hahaha, i totally agree with you! as i just said before, it's a mix from Knight's Kingdom 2004-05, Castle 07-08 and Kingdoms 2011...as if we were talking about Police HQ from City, hahaha!

Where are you Minas Tirith?! :cry_sad:

It looks really similar to Kingdoms to me, but not as sophisticated as the LOTR sets. I can see that this is aimed at a younger age group than either LOTR/Hobbit or Kingdoms. But, really, the sets don't look bad, they just don't appeal to my aesthetic. I did like Kingdoms, but it is too similar to that line (and the heraldry doesn't work for my existing factions), so I'll pass, but I'm sure some kids will really enjoy this theme. :)

Oh, my heart bleeds.....at least I know I won't be buying any more castle stuff....sorry I don't feel they are as good as Kingdom's or LOTR.

Then I must remind myself that it's aimed at 7 to 8 year olds.....a dragon....fair enough....historically spot on.....no where in sight ! :sadnew:

At least with Kingdom's it was showing how that period in history looked in a way, that's why I liked it. :blush:

wOow!!

This is the first forum in which i see people complaining about this new wave for Castle...yes, it looks indeed like a mix between KK and Castle, but at least for me it's very appealing, although this set in particular i won't be buying due to its similarity to other castles i already own, the Dragon tower one, along with the forest and the chariot ones, are a must due to their design/color scheme which complements with KK, Castle and even Kingdoms...

This set in particular is not that outstanding, however many had applaused its similarity with the very first castle made by TLC, again, not considering it because it's way too similar to others.

Now, if this is the reason why we are not having any Minas Tirith set for LOTR theme, then I would have preferred the White City sets instead of this re-visiting, all along it depends on the way you see it.

Hahaha, i totally agree with you! as i just said before, it's a mix from Knight's Kingdom 2004-05, Castle 07-08 and Kingdoms 2011...as if we were talking about Police HQ from City, hahaha!

Where are you Minas Tirith?! :cry_sad:

It seems that a lot of us were expecing something more exciting, or perhaps forestman/wolfpack return (remodeled maybe) but same old boring castle just gets old. There is so many king's castles you can have. We are still waiting for that awesome Roman, celtic, Greek and what not theme. Exactly, same as police HQ from city. How many police stations that city has?! HAHA.

Im doubting ill be purchasing any of the new castle line up.

So, what about the story here? I'd say this a prequel to the old Castle theme, where the old Lions kingdom merges with the Crown kingdom (Terrible name) and fights red-colour-schemed baddies, before defeating them, only for them to be re-raised from the dead by that wizard, so that they could ally with the Trolls?

The one thing that's grabbing my attention here is that this wave seems to have a higher "minifig to part count ratio" than Kingdoms had. Or at least it has more side perks like the dog and dragon. The dragon tower has 5 minifigs (and that dragon). The cart ambush one has 4 minifigs (and a dog!). The guard tower one has 4. The carriage one only has two (and a horse). And the big castle set has 7, if I'm counting right. That's a lot of minifigs, right?

Yep, it looks like you're correct. The Kingdom's Castle had 8, though, but a couple of the medium sized sets only had 3 as compared to 4 in the new line.

Bring back the Castle sets from the 90's. I think that the new castle sets look too simple and look like toys not castles

Like ye olde sets. Far too much chrome looking stuff - real swords and armour get dirty!

Not really interested in castles, but I am so interested in the horses nowadays. I still haven't got an articulated one!

I saw a box of old horses in pick-a-brick a few days ago, it was so tempting to buy a whole army of them...

Far too much chrome looking stuff - real swords and armour get dirty!

Not a fan of chromed parts myself, but swords and armour were cleaned very seriously. It is not like they had stainless steel. Clovis executed a soldier for having a rusty battle axe e.g.

Shiny metal is clean metal and therefore good.

On the other hand: since when is Lego historically accurate? :laugh:

That is why I do not mind dragons and a bit fantasy at all. As long as Castle does not become World of Warcraft.

This Castle looks exactly like the one in Kingdoms, why the heck did they cancel Kingdoms after just introducing the Black Falcons, albeit one of them, if they were just going to make this!???

Terrible.

As others have said, the basic construction isn't too bad, but the heraldry is just awful, and that is hugely important. Kingdoms was enough to bring me out of my dark ages, and if not for LotR/Hobbit, this theme would be enough for me to re-enter the dark ages.

I noticed that some of the knights have black hands. It just doesnt look a good colour combination with the blue torso.

Man, I really wanted to be excited about the Castle theme-castle themed lines are, in general, my favorite. But I agree-these almost jump back in time to the 2005-2006 era-like Lego is digressing. It's a big disappointment-we've all gotten used to the "new" style of sets that have been around a few years, and now Lego wants to go back?

Well, maybe after they are done with LOTR/Hobbit, they will run an original line that's more interesting to AFOLs, maybe something historical that's not exactly castles. The ancient Roman minifigs seem to be really popular.

Well, maybe after they are done with LOTR/Hobbit, they will run an original line that's more interesting to AFOLs, maybe something historical that's not exactly castles. The ancient Roman minifigs seem to be really popular.

I don't hold my hopes high for an ancient Roman or Greek theme any more. This would have been the perfect time for it when Castle is partly covered by LOTR and they still didn't do it. After this I'd say chances are minimal. It's a bit odd that Playmobil for example has ancient themes all the time while Lego has had none so far. (Closest were the Adventurers and PQ with their Egyptian mummies and architecture.)

I've collected almost every Castle set since 84. So its not the most exciting castle theme Lego has ever done.. but its definitely not the worst.

This castle theme is just to keep people and kids happy until the Lotr's has gone away. When the hype of Lotr's has gone the Lego castle sets will likely go back to their style and standard of sets we got in Kingdoms.

People keep complaining that they wanted Falcons, Forestmen or Wolfpack back. Why would Lego release some Wolfpack or Falcon castle sets that people really wanted? If they released fantasticly designed castles with great factions that everyone wanted to buy. People would be buying those instead of buying the LOTR sets. I'm guessing Lego has paid a lot of money to get the license to Lotr's. So why would they release a competing product that will cut down on their own profits?

I don't hold my hopes high for an ancient Roman or Greek theme any more.

I'm still holding out hope for a theme that plays on Greek Mythology. The recent additions in the CMF line (Minotaur, Cyclops, soon to be Medusa) have made me optimistic. I'm hoping these figs are somewhat of a prelude much like the monster figs were to Monster Fighters.

I've collected almost every Castle set since 84. So its not the most exciting castle theme Lego has ever done.. but its definitely not the worst.

This castle theme is just to keep people and kids happy until the Lotr's has gone away. When the hype of Lotr's has gone the Lego castle sets will likely go back to their style and standard of sets we got in Kingdoms.

People keep complaining that they wanted Falcons, Forestmen or Wolfpack back. Why would Lego release some Wolfpack or Falcon castle sets that people really wanted? If they released fantasticly designed castles with great factions that everyone wanted to buy. People would be buying those instead of buying the LOTR sets. I'm guessing Lego has paid a lot of money to get the license to Lotr's. So why would they release a competing product that will cut down on their own profits?

I dont think it would cut their profits. There are tons of us AFOLs who drop decent amount of money on Sets we like. So reintroducing forestmen/wolfpack or just doing a better job then that rubbish 2003 like sets wouldnt hurt since we would buy them-speaking from Castle AFOL point of view. Noting too exciting about getting another lion knight, trust me. LOTR/Hobbit sets will always be appealing to castle fans. If these are the final products, I think it will be epic fail and the only time these sets will look somewhat appealing will be when they go on clearance for 50%+ off

To treat it fair: It's one of Lego's best imitations of a castle of the high medieval times.

Another side note: All knights and soldiers wear gloves :thumbup: The new type of flags is pretty nice :thumbup: