CM4Sci

LEGO Castle 2013

Nicker, your modulation idea is absolutely genius! TLG could go on and on building modulars that way introducing new architecture from time to time - it would be endless and collectors like us would be endlessly buying. New collectors will buy the line and old sets from bricklink like sites as well. It builds a historical origin for the Castle theme connecting it from one year to the next as well. I think if the Castle theme was a bit bigger, TLC would seriously take that into consideration because they do a great job of listening to the fan base. Perhaps we just need more people to voice that idea and perhaps have ambassadors go to TLG with that proposal. I tend to stay away from the individual castle sets because I have no idea how to modularize one set to the next given the separate building techniques, factions and such. So, I also think that one hurdle they have to tackle immediately is to figure out how to to create generic castle sections given the variety of castle factions. After all, the dark knights live in a darker place compared to Crownies or Lion Knights. That is a mighty hurdle to jump. But, I'm loving your idea and hope they take it into consideration.

I mean like walls as tall as the modular city sets... and towers even taller!!! Im talking a UCS line, like green grocer, pet shop... HUGE!

Personally I think that would be a bad idea. The reasons the modulars can sell so well are plentiful. For one, they don't have to have the most cohesive look to them, since they're each independent buildings which can be arranged into a city block. That's important for lines that have just one set a year, since each one has to feel new. A castle series would have to keep a consistent look across years of releases if the parts were to look good together, but at the same time that would mean most sets couldn't innovate nearly as much as the modular buildings, and thus newer expansions wouldn't stand out compared to the previous releases. Also, the modular buildings function equally well on their own or put together. This means that people can buy just one and have an impressive looking model. With castle segments, each set would have to be judged against others. So an impressive keep or gate might sell well, but I doubt the "castle wall extension" set would, considering the only people who would buy it would be people who already had at least one of the other parts (since who would want a wall with no castle for it to be a part of?). Also, based on the rate of release of D2C sets, it could take years before you could build a full castle, by which point many people may lose interest. And new customers would be hard to come by in such a situation, since the older expansions would necessarily have to be circulated out of production at some point, meaning that a full castle would become unattainable without turning to the aftermarket.

And towers taller than the modular buildings? Taller means bigger, and bigger means more expensive. The Town Hall is already pushing it as far as unlicensed set prices go; and Castle is a more niche theme than City, so it would have even less of an audience than the Town Hall. I think, in general, your idea is a recipe for a line of overly expensive sets which few people would ever buy.

Nope, because the grey brick alone would be worth it, and they could easily mix a medieval building into the current city buildings...If they were a little cheaper and more frequent, It would work.

But

I just hope this line is something waaaay different from what everyone is expecting. I was disappointing with the new space sets, was not enough of a throwback to insectoids... Lotr keeps missing out on important things. I don't think we know whats coming for Castle or lotr. Look ow they surprised us with Galaxy squads.

I am personally hoping that Lego goes back to the type of castle sets they did in the late 80s early 90s. I really miss the dragon knights with their dragons and I would really like to see a giant cave with a dragon again. I also hope that Lego does something like the wolfpack bandits. If Lego brought back both of those themes I would definately be setting aside some money for those sets. But, even if Lego does do something similar to Kingdoms I will still be happy. I also really hope that Lego will finish LOTR alongside their generic castle theme as I really love both themes but, I really don't want the LOTR theme to be left severely incomplete.

There are so many different 'themes' that could come into play, I can't even guess what they will present us with. My hope is that the new castle has the feel of the older castle lines in that it has some really cool little sets. The older lines all had small sets of 30-70 pieces with a minifig or two and helped add some depth to the line. I love the large sets, but I also really like just picking up some of those smaller sets just to add characters to the army or faction

Nope, because the grey brick alone would be worth it, and they could easily mix a medieval building into the current city buildings...If they were a little cheaper and more frequent, It would work.

But

I just hope this line is something waaaay different from what everyone is expecting. I was disappointing with the new space sets, was not enough of a throwback to insectoids... Lotr keeps missing out on important things. I don't think we know whats coming for Castle or lotr. Look ow they surprised us with Galaxy squads.

Worth it for dedicated AFOLs like yourself, but for children? For their parents? Even for people who plan to take it apart and reuse the pieces, the primary model is what sells sets. And a primary model that isn't appealing except as part of a larger whole isn't going to move product. Just look at the My Own Train line to see how such sets would do. A modular castle would likely do even worse, because at the scale you're proposing every set would represent at least a hundred-dollar investment, which would ward off customers who are unsure about building the whole castle and want to test the waters by buying a single set.

I doubt we'll ever see unlicensed Castle sets much larger than the modular buildings, and even if we do they're going to be like the Medieval Market Village or Kingdoms Joust, in that they contain an entire scene and structure on their own without needing additional purchases.

I'd be thrilled if the re-released castle is going to be 7094 King's Castle Siege... but yeah, that certainly looks like old product art. I also see 7093 Skeleton Tower, 7092 Skeleton's Prison Carriage, and 7009 The Final Joust. This is an image from 2007's Castle Line.

It also certainly seems very odd that they'd just re-use the 'CASTLE' branding from the fantasy era. This was a torturous tease...

Edited by Mr. Elijah Timms

I'd be thrilled if the re-released castle is going to be 7094 King's Castle Siege... but yeah, that certainly looks like old product art. I also see 7093 Skeleton Tower, 7092 Skeleton's Prison Carriage, and 7009 The Final Joust. This is an image from 2007's Castle Line.

It also certainly seems very odd that they'd just re-use the 'CASTLE' branding from the fantasy era. This was a torturous tease...

Yep, even without pictures, I'd just love some more facts...is this 100% happening like sites are suggesting...is this the assortment that is being passed from site to site...

@BigHobbit.

I don't believe it, and those set numbers look like the four digit instead of the six...

70400 Forest Ambush = ?

70401 Gold Getaway = ?

70402 The Gatehouse Raid = ?

70403 Dragon Mountain = 7093 Skeleton Tower

70404 King's Castle = 7094 King's Castle Siege

:wacko: Set names don't really all fit very well, same box designs, and that picture shows 6 sets not 5...

@BigHobbit.

I don't believe it, and those set numbers look like the four digit instead of the six...

70400 Forest Ambush = ?

70401 Gold Getaway = ?

70402 The Gatehouse Raid = ?

70403 Dragon Mountain = 7093 Skeleton Tower

70404 King's Castle = 7094 King's Castle Siege

:wacko: Set names don't really all fit very well, same box designs, and that picture shows 6 sets not 5...

Yep, as I said in the post, I think the original source just used old photos as a promo. As Mr. Elijah Timms pointed out, it's just a group shot from the 2007 Castle sets. Most do think that the 5-digit list with the Dragon Mountain and King's Castle is accurate at least.

From the impressions I've gotten from various websites and blogs, I first thought it was a rerelease of five of the 2007 Castle line sets. If that was the case it would be a total disappointment, as I picked up more than enough Crown knights when they were out, and they weren't out long enough ago for me to long for their return.

On second thought, though, it almost seems like maybe these five sets will be from different Castle eras, with the largest being 7094 King's Castle Siege but the other four being from different eras. The reason I'm thinking this is because I don't remember there being a "forest ambush" or a "dragon mountain" in either Crown Knight line. Maybe those will be a set from one of the Forestmen lines, one from the Dragon Knights line, etc. Now THAT I would be excited about.

Lyichir, I think you are dead on. A modular style release of a castle wouldn't work for most, if not for all, of the reasons you mentioned. One of the reasons why I like and buy all of the modulars is because I still have a street inbetween new releases. A new release just adds to an already cool looking street (or cool looking building when there weren't many yet). If I had to wait years and invest 100s on a single castle, I would lose interest pretty quick, especially if the castle looked incomplete during those years until all of the sections came out (tower, gate, wall, etc.), and I would probably fall within their key demographic. The only way I can see them doing some kind of modular style castle release is if they had a large castle as an anchor with several smaller, complete building sets as add-ons (something like the MMV buildings, but modular style). Even then, I think the target audience is too small to risk the releases compared to other themes like City.

I agree that a modular series release isn't that feasible. I do, however, wonder if we might eventually (this year or in the future) see a Castle line that more heavily features action features, such as with the Ninjago and Legend of Chima lines. While there have always been some action features in Castle sets, play has not been heavily featured like some of Lego's newer lines. That might appeal to both those long-term Castle enthusiasts and kids who like a lot of features to their Legos. This line of thinking also might go with the comment from higher up about a classic Lego line done in a new direction. Just a thought. Sadly, everything we think is conjecture until pics or official details are released.

I agree that a modular series release isn't that feasible. I do, however, wonder if we might eventually (this year or in the future) see a Castle line that more heavily features action features, such as with the Ninjago and Legend of Chima lines. While there have always been some action features in Castle sets, play has not been heavily featured like some of Lego's newer lines. That might appeal to both those long-term Castle enthusiasts and kids who like a lot of features to their Legos. This line of thinking also might go with the comment from higher up about a classic Lego line done in a new direction. Just a thought. Sadly, everything we think is conjecture until pics or official details are released.

I dearly hope that Lego doesn't do more action features that would make their sets look cheap or childish. That brings horrid memories of the KKII back to mind which I was trying to forget. I do really hope that Lego makes some good army building sets though and I am really hoping for some new dragons.

Edited by Jack Bricker

I dearly hope that Lego doesn't do more action features that would make their sets look cheap or childish. That brings horrid memories of the KKII back to mind which I was trying to forget.

Yes, I agree completely with these statements. I remember the horrible KKII joust where you shoot the two horse/cars at each other. Disgusting. The most "play features" I approve of in a Castle set are catapults/siege equipment.

Edited by Kliq

I dearly hope that Lego doesn't do more action features that would make their sets look cheap or childish. That brings horrid memories of the KKII back to mind which I was trying to forget. I do really hope that Lego makes some good army building sets though and I am really hoping for some new dragons.

I also agree. The last thing I want is for a castle theme in the same vain as Ninjago or Legends of Chima.

Yes, I agree completely with these statements. I remember the horrible KKII joust where you shoot the two horse/cars at each other. Disgusting. The most "play features" I approve of in a Castle set are catapults/siege equipment.

The occasional collapsing wall to be knocked down with the above is always a plus. Maybe a secret passage or two?

Yep, as I said in the post, I think the original source just used old photos as a promo. As Mr. Elijah Timms pointed out, it's just a group shot from the 2007 Castle sets. Most do think that the 5-digit list with the Dragon Mountain and King's Castle is accurate at least.

We could probably get Castle sets that could fit in the set names of 401-404 but "Forest Ambush" doesn't really fit any Castle sets since there was like what one tree in Castle? :tongue:

I was never a fan of collapsing structures as a kid, Lego is a construction toy so if I wanted to represent battle damage it was fairly easy to do so.

Looks like that video has been removed by the user. Don't know much about him/her, but I'm guessing that TLG asked him/her to take it down. If that's the case, then it seems pretty certain that we will see some sort of Castle sets this summer.

Looks like that video has been removed by the user. Don't know much about him/her, but I'm guessing that TLG asked him/her to take it down. If that's the case, then it seems pretty certain that we will see some sort of Castle sets this summer.

Video? What video?

Video? What video?

The video BigHobbit posted above. :wink:

Not really sure if it's good or bad that we'll get castle sets so soon... I've already got way too much on my wish list for next year!

I was just looking through older advent calendars on Brickset and realized that if Castle/Kingdoms is coming back, maybe there'll also be a new Castle-themed advent calendar next year too! Fingers crossed.