Boomchil

Black Seas Barracuda's little secrets you might not know

I know the topic is bit old, but as a true 6285 lover I needed to add something:

Some early models of this set, had their large pirate flags not printed but to be made with stickers. You recieved white 4 x 4 flags and a sticker sheet that had the large flag pattern.

I own this set since 1990 and here are some pictures of my stickered flags:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=523284

as You may have noticed, I made a mistake in attaching it :classic: ,my older brother did the other one correct.

I'm not sure but as I remember the sticker sheet might also have some smaller pirate flags patterns, although small flags were printed in the set for sure, so you could just use those extra small stickers as You liked.

Stickered type of flags also appeared in 6276:

6276stk01.jpg

dont know about other pirate models.

I've always wondered why we (The USA) didn't get the shooting cannons? Was Lego afraid we would shoot our eyes out while Europeans wouldn't?

I may be misremembering this, but I seem to recall that the catalyst for the US ban on toys that fire spring loaded missiles etc was the Battlestar Galactica toys. They fired these 1" red cone shaped missile, and there were a few reports of very young kids damaging their eyes. Suddenly there was a vast wave of "THINK OF THE CHILDREN" and all the fun toys started having their ability to fire anything crippled.

Can anyone help me with getting the sails for the barracuda ship? I have recently got my lego out and want to rebuild it but am missing the 5 sails. Any suggestions ides would be fretfully received? Thanks

Can anyone help me with getting the sails for the barracuda ship? I have recently got my lego out and want to rebuild it but am missing the 5 sails. Any suggestions ides would be fretfully received? Thanks

You can buy them on Bricklink. Looks like the average price on each piece of sail goes for something like $10-$12 USD.

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=sailbb05

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=sailbb04

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=sailbb23

Bricklink has a bit of a learning curve. What you'll want to do is make an account, and then for each of those sails, add it to a "wanted list". Then you can view your wanted list "by shop" to hopefully find a shop that carries all 3 at a reasonable price.

Another option would be to print out paper sails on a printer and cut them out. I see that mentioned on the forums every now and then, but I don't have a link.

Hey everyone. Amazing post and amazing blog. I am in Italy and I have discovered at my girlfriend's house a full Barracuda set. The only thing lacking is the box, so I wanted to make sure I have all the pieces. Obviously I am leaving everything intact and selling it for a good price, since, although I am a Lego fan, I'm not a pirate system fan. I always prefered to build spaceships and cars. Now I design them with the app.

Anyway my quesiton is, does any one have an idea of how many small packages came in the box ? In the European version all the small pieces are divided and contained in small transparent plastic bags or packages with tiny holes. I don't want to open them since they are proof that the brickset is new, so I can't count all the bricks to make sure it's full. Does anyone know, then, how many plastic bags come in the box ?

Thanks for your answer, and I can ship the boat to the US if you're interested ! It has shooting cannons ... ; )

IIRC the catalyst for the change in canon wasnt government regulation or "think of the children" pressure but a lawsuit against the manufacturer of the toy (after some kid died as a result of the missiles and a bunch of others were injured). The lawsuit lead to a recall of the missiles from the BSG toys in question by the manufacturer and changes to other missile-firing toys (including a Star Wars figure and the LEGO canons)

I have a question. I would like to confirm the list of the official box parts. I saw different images and I'm confused. I know there should be three plastic inlays, one yellow inner box, two white boxes and two small white cardboard molds. On some images I saw also one big cardboard mold under plastic inlay for hull. Was it only available in US version? Best regards. Thank you in advance. Juliusz

lego_pirates_review_6285_0005.jpg

and problematic part

s-l1600.jpg

On 8/14/2019 at 7:55 AM, YorickG84 said:

I have a question. I would like to confirm the list of the official box parts. I saw different images and I'm confused. I know there should be three plastic inlays, one yellow inner box, two white boxes and two small white cardboard molds. On some images I saw also one big cardboard mold under plastic inlay for hull. Was it only available in US version? Best regards. Thank you in advance. Juliusz

lego_pirates_review_6285_0005.jpg

and problematic part

s-l1600.jpg

I don't know why but they didn't release the set with two small paper molds under two white boxes in the U.S set. Also I found the review of unboxing new set released in the U.S. and there were none of paper molds.

@Boomchil This was a fascinating insight into the differences and some nice trivia, thank you!

I received several pieces to this set in a lot I bought and I'm currently rebuilding it, so this is good to know.

@Medzomorak - It doesn't look like much when it's laid-out like that.

Proof that a thing can be greater than the sum of it's parts!

On 2/26/2020 at 9:19 PM, leafan said:

@Medzomorak - It doesn't look like much when it's laid-out like that.

Proof that a thing can be greater than the sum of it's parts!

Yes, but the parts are quite general, still gives me a very sophisticated model kit feeling. A modern set might look like more messy.

7 minutes ago, Medzomorak said:

Yes, but the parts are quite general, still gives me a very sophisticated model kit feeling. A modern set might look like more messy.

Indeed, this looks like Classic LEGO, there are almost no Technic parts in that.

Also no "weird" colors for parts that are otherwise not seen, I've seen all sorts of green plates and such inside recent City vehicles, which are otherwise not visible except when building.

Overall, they could do a whole lot back then, with fewer colors and parts shapes.

Edited by TeriXeri

31 minutes ago, leafan said:

@Medzomorak @TeriXeri Yeah I'm not dissing it; I just mean that when put together, it forms something so much more. A real thing of beauty.

Going to be interesting to compare those parts vs the upcoming 3-in-1 Pirate Ship set.

I'll assume it'll have all sorts of different colors , partly because this is 2020 and LEGO loves to use different colors inside of models for ease of building, partly due to standardized technic parts and partly because it has alternate builds that aren't ships.

3 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Going to be interesting to compare those parts vs the upcoming 3-in-1 Pirate Ship set.

I'll assume it'll have all sorts of different colors , partly because this is 2020 and LEGO loves to use different colors inside of models for ease of building, partly due to standardized technic parts and partly because it has alternate builds that aren't ships.

Do we know what the alternate builds are yet?

38 minutes ago, leafan said:

Do we know what the alternate builds are yet?

Well, from what I've read, only keywords like Island & Building.

I'd imagine there'd be some Tan plates used inside the ship to serve as a beach later, maybe the white sail plates formed into some skull-island.

Edited by TeriXeri

12 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

Well, from what I've read, only keywords like Island & Building.

I'd imagine there'd be some Tan plates used inside the ship to serve as a beach later, maybe the white sail plates formed into some skull-island.

Sounds promising. I imagine that the alternate builds will produce diminishing returns though. It's all about that Pirate Ship.

I used to own this ship when I was too young to truly appreciate it.  It always fell apart,  and my parents resulted to using Model glue to keep it together. 

It's long since been destroyed and scattered in my collection of bricks.

Recently,  my local independent LEGO dealer happened across the most complete rebuild of the original 1989 set! Only thing missing was the fifth-Sail! Payday came and went,  And now, I'm the proud owner of the Black Seas Barracuda! Back then,  I was Young, and Stupid! Now I'm older...

Plus,  I believe I'm currently in possession of a European variant. All I have are the instructions,  but it comes with the spring loaded cannons, not the non-firing or black-stem variants. My mind was swimming,  thinking of how I wanted to modify it,  but for now,  I think I'll just add a little yellow cone bell, thanks to this thread!

As well as the Lego Creator 3 in 1 Pirate Ship set, citing the F-P-S thread, I believe some reliable sources said the three models you could build were the Ship itself, a Tavern,  and a Pirate island,  with a skull. Not sure if the last one's a Hideout,  or a possible location for Buried Treasure! Hoping for the latter,  because I'd assume the pirates hang their hats at the tavern!

Edited by Jevil

That's awesome! The '89 Pirate sets actually came with the firing spring loaded cannon in the US for some time too, before the switchover to the black handled non firing variants.

I can't be sure, but judging on my own experience collecting these sets, the firing cannon had been entirely phased out in the US by 1990, but while many of the original '89 sets were available well into the 90s, the bulk of the sets were sold in the early years of the theme.  So you're actually pretty likely to get a firing cannon with vintage sets from the first wave even if it was sold in America.

what was the other clue that it was never built????????? There was also a clue of it being never built in the "box content" picture, but only a few with very good eyes and Lego knowledge will see it :).

what was the other clue that it was never built?

On 11/10/2023 at 11:11 PM, jstarscomm said:

it is appalling that no one asked the real question after reading his half review! anyone know the last secret?

He was probably referring to the 1x1 round plates still attached to the sprue.