• 3 – Average
    • 4 – Above Average
    • 5 - Outstanding

[pid][/pid]

gallery_6705_157_17796.png

25.jpg

6260titre.png

Introduction

Welcome to my seventh review on Eurobricks! On my way to review every old Pirates set that I buy new (full story on my 6247 - Bounty Boat review), here's another set from the first wave that saw the day of light in 1989. This one has a special place in my heart since it's the first Lego set that I bought with my own money when I still was a child. Its name is Shipwreck Island, and ya better be warned : this review won't be objective :jollyroger: !

Product Details

Set No: 6260

Set Name: Shipwreck Island (USA) - Treasure Island (UK) - Le repaire des pirates (France) - Piraten-Schatzinsel (Germany) - Haai-Baai (Netherlands)

Theme: Pirates

Released: 1989-1991

Minifigures: 2

Pieces: 71

RRP: $12

Purchase Price: €55 new on Bricklink

~Box~

03.jpg

Front

01.jpg

Wow, how could it be more piratey? Lonely island, treasure, palmtree, monkey, parrot, cannon, gold... Everything is here to make some fantastic stories! At the back, we can see what seems to be the Eldorado Fortress.

Back

02.jpg

Four (!) alternate models, which will be covered in the next chapter. As with all classic pirates sets (though I didn't mention it in my previous reviews), we can see a hand-drawn model of the actual set on the map-styled background, which adds a nice touch.

Sides

04.jpg

As usual, we have an alternate setup of the main model.

09.jpg

All the legal stuff (my box is an european version).

~Alternate models~

Alternate model 1

05.jpg

Alternate model 2

06.jpg

Alternate model 3

07.jpg

Alternate model 4

08.jpg

Well... as awesome as the actual set is, its alternate models are quite bad in my humble opinion. The "least worst" might be the second with the camouflaged cannon, but the palmtree only has two leaves left... What are your thoughts on them?

~Box opening~

10.jpg

Yo-ho-ho! Every remaining MISB Shipwreck Island now has gone up in value! :jollyroger:

Inside the box

13.jpg

The lovely island-patterned baseplate is loose, and comes with three bags.

Instructions and promotional flyer

11.jpg

The instructions and flyer are folded, let's have a look at them.

Instructions

14.jpg

As always, the tricorne hat is way too big. At the back, we have an alternate setup of the main model (with only a few placement changes), and two alternates models already seen at the back of the box.

Random instructions page

15.jpg

After only six steps, the build is mostly finished. There is no part callout, but it's really easy to follow. One interesting fact, unlike almost every other Pirates sets, is that the palm tree is being built with parts added each step. Usually it's build apart either at the beginning or at the end of instructions.

Promotional flyer

12.jpg

It's almost the same flyer as the one I got in my 6245 - Harbor Sentry review, although this is the european version, showing firing cannon. It's a fantastic diorama, which would have been even cooler including the mighty Eldorado Fortress.

~Parts and minifigure~

Part layout

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

Here are the contents of each bag. Excepting the baseplate, nothing here is especially interesting. However, pirates fans never have too many parrots, monkeys, cannons, palm trees, half-barrels or gold coins! This make this set a good pirates accessories pack.

Minifigures

19.jpg

Your common classical pirates minifigures! At least we don't get another captain redbeard. Back in 1989 though they weren't seen as "common minifigs" and when I got this set (my first "real pirate" one, the other being a bluecoat one : Sabre Island), I really loved the eye-patched guy, with his nice brown tricorne hat. The red bandana was also a nice touch, although at this time it was a lot more common than the blue one.

~The build~

Building the cannon

20.jpg

21.jpg

Before everything else, we start by assembling the cannon. 23 years later, it still looks awesome. Notice the little spot inside the cannon? It's only found on firing models and helps guiding the cannonballs (round black 1 x 1 bricks).

After step 2

22.jpg

The first step is a bird-eye view to help place the yellow tiles, which will help for inserting the treasure chest.

After step 4

23.jpg

The rock-like structure used to hide the treasure chest is finished.

After step 6

24.jpg

The build here is almost finished, only lacking accessories. When compared to the finished model, we clearly see that accessories are really what makes this set a great one. Without them, it would really looks empty.

~The finished model~

Box cover view

25.jpg

Simply awesome. With all its accessories, every free space is now filled. The green leaves add a nice touch. However, despite its name (Shipwreck Island), there's no trace of any shipwreck... Maybe the half-barrel is all that remain of the ship?

Side view

26.jpg

Why is the pirate standing in water...? You can see that the structure really cover all the island, I wonder where do they sleep?

Back view

27.jpg

Hiding the chest

28.jpg

29.jpg

Simple but clever. The chest fits nicely. I remember being amazed by this when I was a child (like I feel today when I discover new technics used for Modular Buildings)

Sailing in a half-barrel

30.jpg

"It's all about recycling!". It's really a nice idea, and something we only ever saw in this set.

~Final thoughts~

Design: 10/10 - I can't see any flaw. Okay, it doesn't look like a "Shipwreck Island", but who cares? It's beautiful, full of life, full of Pirates stories!

Parts: 9/10 - A fantastic accessories pack! The baseplate is also very nice, and only found in two sets (the other being Sabre Island).

Minifig: 8/10 in 1989, 3/10 nowadays - As great as was the first pirates waves, it was clearly lacking some variety for pirates minifigures. These two are now very common, but still nice if you don't already have them.

Build: 7/10 - Nothing spectacular, but simply pleasing.

Playability: 9/10 - Adding a bluecoat would have make it perfect. However with all its accessories and animals, it still has a very strong playability.

Alternate models: 2/10 - I really don't like them.

Price: 10/10 - Today it can be found for ~$15, which makes it a fantastic deal for getting pirates accessories.

Conclusion: 10/10 - I told you I wasn't being objective :). It's a beautiful set, packed with useful accessories, animals and vegetation. An absolute must-have for every pirate lover out there!

Nice review :thumbup:

I had that set back then, and I confirm that the playability was 9/10, but 10/10 when combined with any other small and cheap pirate sets.

I really liked these sets, not many parts, but lot of accessories! Plus there is a small base-plate, I think that nowadays it's not so common (I may be wrong on that).

I love your sealed Pirates sets reviews! It's so great! Thank you very much!

Another fantastic review. You are becoming a Pirate reviewing expert. I'll get this added to the index later tonight.

Keep these coming :wub:

I love your sealed Pirates sets reviews! It's so great! Thank you very much!

I agree with this, they are always a nostalgic pleasure to read.

And there really is nothing like opening a MISB LEGO set that went out of production long time ago... heck, even semi-new sets from 2008/2009 gives me immense pleasure to aquire and open MISB for the first time. And I too prefer brand new LEGO to used.

These reviews are fantastic. You are doing a great service to those of us who grew up with these sets but will never be able to purchase them at their current prices. What a fantastic trip down memory lane. *happy sigh*

(And I remember being just as excited about the small hiding place for the treasure chest as you were. :wink: )

Hey Boomchil, thanks for that great review, damn I love those entry level sets of piratey paradisey goodness.

I was wondering - could you maybe scan in those flyers you have? The dioramas are beautiful and there aren't any good enough resolution ones on the internet. Would love to see it in detail !!

Wow. Great review Boomchil! Very informative! You managed to fit every possible data one would ask in there :wub:

But I have one accusation... You stole gold for yourself! You've never shown putting it into the chest! :wink:

and am I wrong or is this gold actually... silver? Maybe that's the way it was photographed?... but it looks different to me.

BTW ... is it actually possible to collect ALL classic lego pirates MISB sets novadays? ... i'm not very much into buying used stuff :sweet:

However, despite its name (Shipwreck Island), there's no trace of any shipwreck... Maybe the half-barrel is all that remain of the ship?

Not sure about that... The whole thing looks little bit like a very remain of a gun deck - single embrasure...

Edited by Mazin

Wow. Great review Boomchil! Very informative! You managed to fit every possible data one would ask in there :wub:

But I have one accusation... You stole gold for yourself! You've never shown putting it into the chest! :wink:

and am I wrong or is this gold actually... silver? Maybe that's the way it was photographed?... but it looks different to me.

BTW ... is it actually possible to collect ALL classic lego pirates MISB sets novadays? ... i'm not very much into buying used stuff :sweet:

Thank you!

Actually, the monkey stole the gold :laugh: . And it's not silver-colored (blame the flash), although I'd love lego to make silver pieces :wub:

About acquiring all pirates sets MISB, I'd say everything is possible when you got lots of money :pir_laugh2: , but sadly it's not my case. So I look every new pirates set daily on Bricklink, eBay, etc... and when the price is fair I buy it. I'm trying not to spend more than 150€ per month, which is still a lot I agree.

Now to go further I'm planning to make an article on the hardest-to-find-new pirates set, and you might be surprised. In fact, some "common" sets that are really cheap used can reach very high prices when new (like Renegade Runner that cost about 30$ used and more than 300$ new for the cheapest one on Bricklink).

I've started to buy and search for new sets about one year ago and to me the hardest sealed pirates set to find new ever is the Eldorado's Fortress. If you want a sealed Black Seas Barracuda, Skull Eye Schooner or Imperial Trading Post, you'll find several on eBay or Bricklink (really expensives, but still buyable). But try to find a sealed Eldorado's Fortress, I've only seen one in one year (last month), and I bought it immediately, for the fantastic price of 150€, it was a no-brainer for me (it's almost its price used). Sure the box isn't perfect (but still nice), it was already opened and without instructions, but the bags were still sealed and to me it's the most important thing.

I'm pretty sure that I can sell it for 400€ or more on eBay by just adding instructions to it, but I won't do it, it's such a gem! :wub: . I'll review it soon ;)

absolutelylez : I'll probably scan them for some article soon ;)

Actually, the monkey stole the gold :laugh: . And it's not silver-colored (blame the flash), although I'd love lego to make silver pieces :wub:

Oh right, now blame poor little monkey :wink: Not sure about silver... but some diamonds would be nice, like some precious gem or something... but I'm happy already with gold... to much is not a good thing... well... a very big pile of gold would be nice on the other hand :wink:

I'm trying not to spend more than 150€ per month, which is still a lot I agree.

150 is nice! I wish we already had euros, with our current currency we are always behind the rest of europe - everything is 3-4 times more expensive for Poles... for You guys 150 euros is like 2-3 days on minimum wage... for us it would be like 9 days on minimum wage :wub:

Now to go further I'm planning to make an article on the hardest-to-find-new pirates set, and you might be surprised. .

Can't wait to read that! Great idea!... Hopefully you will write down some "sollutions" how to pick those things :wink:

I've started to buy and search for new sets about one year ago and to me the hardest sealed pirates set to find new ever is the Eldorado's Fortress. If you want a sealed Black Seas Barracuda, Skull Eye Schooner or Imperial Trading Post, you'll find several on eBay or Bricklink (really expensives, but still buyable). But try to find a sealed Eldorado's Fortress, I've only seen one in one year (last month), and I bought it immediately, for the fantastic price of 150€, it was a no-brainer for me (it's almost its price used). Sure the box isn't perfect (but still nice), it was already opened and without instructions, but the bags were still sealed and to me it's the most important thing.

So it's not actually MISB then? Did you manage to get yourself these instructions from another place?

Yeah... I've seen http://lego.wikia.co...dorado_Fortress only once in my life... back in 1987... at someone's house... in Paris :laugh:

Strange cause I knew plenty of Barracudas and Royal Clippers :look: Well I have these... my both cousins did... some friends did... I can't even recall seeing Eldorado at any shop.

Always thought that http://lego.wikia.co...al_Trading_Post would be the hardest to get.... as it's the... biggest set in Pirates "universe"... right? :look: ... 9 minifigures!

...although I think Eldorado seems to be much more "alive" and playble than Trading Post... they've designed it much better in my opinion... it's PERFECT ... and Trading Post is just nice... I'd have never made it the way they did...

Do you have this one Boomchil?

How much did you have to pay for postal service BTW? Or was it included?

I'll review it soon ;)

Wow.... can't imagine how big this article will be since you make such an effort with these tiny sets :thumbup:

Edited by Mazin

Boomchil, sinse you're the expert here... Just out of simple curiosity - is there always the same amount of gold coins in every set with a chest?

Can't wait to read that! Great idea!... Hopefully you will write down some "sollutions" how to pick those things :wink:

Yeah I'll try to give some advice for those who want to buy new classic sets.

So it's not actually MISB then? Did you manage to get yourself these instructions from another place?

The "MISB" term is somewhat biased nowadays. I sometimes use it by mistake to talk about a new set. For me, as long as the parts are still in their original plastic bags, the set is new, as I intend to build it so fatally I'll have to open it :). MISB is for collectors who love to have sealed box. In my opinion Lego are made to be built, not for staying in plastic bags :), but I won't judge them (a popular thread has already been made about this), it's thanks to them that I can find some new classic sets!

How much did you have to pay for postal service BTW? Or was it included?

About 15€, but there was also a MISB Islander Catamaran ordered (for 22€).

Yeah... I've seen http://lego.wikia.co...dorado_Fortress only once in my life... back in 1987... at someone's house... in Paris :laugh:

Strange cause I knew plenty of Barracudas and Royal Clippers :look: Well I have these... my both cousins did... some friends did... I can't even recall seeing Eldorado at any shop.

Always thought that http://lego.wikia.co...al_Trading_Post would be the hardest to get.... as it's the... biggest set in Pirates "universe"... right? :look: ... 9 minifigures!

...although I think Eldorado seems to be much more "alive" and playble than Trading Post... they've designed it much better in my opinion... it's PERFECT ... and Trading Post is just nice... I'd have never made it the way they did...

Do you have this one Boomchil?

To be exact, I have all Pirates sets (including the exclusive US ones), so yes, I have a used (but in fantastic condition) one, without box sadly. I bought it for 25€ (!) along with a Sabre Island (probably my best Lego deal ever). It was really (really) dusty, as if it has been built 20 years ago and put on a shelf until today... The baseplates were a little glued to a wood plate, I only had to replace the blue 32x32 one. I took me a while to clean it with an electric toothbrush, but under the dust every part was in fantastic condition, no yellowing or scratches... Dust has kinda protected them for 20 years ;).

Near the place I live in there is one MISB (really MISB :)) for sell at 500€. I'll try to make an offer at 350€, as I don't won't to pay more for it.

Boomchil, sinse you're the expert here... Just out of simple curiosity - is there always the same amount of gold coins in every set with a chest?

Good question. It seems that for the first waves there were always two gold coins sprues for a chest, but since 1992 small sets (such as Smuggler's Shanty) came with only one gold coins sprue.

Yeah I'll try to give some advice for those who want to buy new classic sets.

Will apreciate this very much :thumbup:

The "MISB" term is somewhat biased nowadays. I sometimes use it by mistake to talk about a new set. For me, as long as the parts are still in their original plastic bags, the set is new, as I intend to build it so fatally I'll have to open it :). MISB is for collectors who love to have sealed box. In my opinion Lego are made to be built, not for staying in plastic bags :), but I won't judge them (a popular thread has already been made about this), it's thanks to them that I can find some new classic sets!

I agree completely :thumbup: I was thinking about getting myself some sets that would stay boxed, but guess it would be waste. You can't see what's inside the box anyway, with or without them... Different case is with carded G.I.Joe figures. These have an obvious reason to keep them unopened. :sweet:

The only sad thing with opening every Lego set is that you will have them all opened in the end... There's not so many of them, just a matter of time... Well, you can always buy another set of boxes to have it opened again at a different time right? :wink:

About 15€, but there was also a MISB Islander Catamaran ordered (for 22€).

Aaah... Another catch :sweet: So now You have to review this one too, there's no other way :wink:

To be exact, I have all Pirates sets (including the exclusive US ones), so yes, I have a used (but in fantastic condition) one, without box sadly. I bought it for 25€ (!) along with a Sabre Island (probably my best Lego deal ever). It was really (really) dusty, as if it has been built 20 years ago and put on a shelf until today... The baseplates were a little glued to a wood plate, I only had to replace the blue 32x32 one. I took me a while to clean it with an electric toothbrush, but under the dust every part was in fantastic condition, no yellowing or scratches... Dust has kinda protected them for 20 years ;).

Wait... There were exclusives?? You mean like normal sets... or just some gadgets?

And yeah... I guess people would have problems with some of my old sets if I would ever sell them :blush: I still cannot remove some pieces from the others... head stuck in a helmet and so and so :laugh:

Good question. It seems that for the first waves there were always two gold coins sprues for a chest, but since 1992 small sets (such as Smuggler's Shanty) came with only one gold coins sprue.

Seems that someone at Lego was stealing these coins for himself :wink: ... or was it the monkey :wink:

Edited by Mazin

Whoa! Now it kicked me

I've seen http://lego.wikia.co...dorado_Fortress only once in my life... back in 1987... at someone's house... in Paris :laugh:

Of course I could not see Eldorado in 1987!... :laugh: But I had it stuck so hard in my memory for many years!... Guess I must have seen it at different place, and played with something very similar in France :sweet: