Sign in to follow this  
Deathleech

Uruk-Hai Army Changes

A couple weeks ago I placed an order for the last six Uruk-hai Army sets I wanted. They have been sitting around for awhile so today I finally decided to open them all and build them. After doing so I noticed there seem to be a few changes with this set. Most notable was the change to Eomer's legs. Here is a comparison of the old (left) to the new ones (right):

image3.jpg

As you can see the old one had a brown belt/sash and a very dark red, almost brown colored part hanging down on front. Now the sash is all one red color and matches the torso's red almost identically. At first I thought maybe this was a misprint, but I checked and all six of my newer Uruk-hai Army sets have the same bright red sash as opposed to the brown one before. All my old ones (all 14) have the same brown so that wasn't a misprint either. It seems Lego decided to change the coloring a bit...

Personally I have mixed feeling about this. While I think the new colors work much better with the Eomer torso, I feel like it doesn't really work with the Rohan soldier torso anymore:

image6.jpg

As you can see the red really stands out now and doesn't really work with the Rohan soldier's body like the old legs did. This seems to be a double edged sword. We get a better looking Eomer configuration, but no more mixing and matching Eomer/Rohan torsos and legs now when making them all look like basic grunts. What do you guys think? Do you like the new colors mode or no?

Also, there seems to be a change with the head pegs. For anyone who remembers my thread back in July, the head stud change seems to be effecting more figures than just the Uruk-hai in the LotR line now:

image9.jpg

Doesn't look much different at first... but then.... BAM!

image8-2.jpg

Every single one of the flesh colored figures I have gotten up to this point had the filled stud design but now my Eomers (all six of them) have the 3 bar design seen on the left. Oddly enough the Rohan Soldiers all still had the same filled stud design seen on the right. Personally I hate the older 3 bar design because I don't feel like it looks as sturdy or good as the solid design. I hate it so much in fact I have used Bricklink to replace every 3 bar studded head I have gotten in the LotR line. I know, extremely OCD, but it bugs me all the same. Back on topic this doesn't seem to be a specific change to new sets, it just seems to be affecting more figures than just the Uruk-hai now. Apparently the filled design is newer and comes from new machines while the 3 bar is from older machines. I assume in a few more years the 3 bar stud design will be totally phased out. I just found it odd NONE of the flesh colored figures had the 3 bar design on their heads but now we are starting to see it out of the blue.

Btw, sorry for the poor pictures, they were taken with my phone :blush:

I checked my figures and they seem to have the new print too. So I swapped out the Rohan Soldier's dark green arms for Eomer's dark grey arms and now the red sash looks really good. The Rohan Soldiers look a little more armored and the colour scheme of dark grey, dark brown, with a hint of dark red blends really well. Of course you lose the the Rohan dark green scheme :tongue: , but it gives you another variant for your army.

Of course you lose the the Rohan dark green scheme :tongue: , but it gives you another variant for your army.

That, and I assume the Eomer torso looks atrocious with a red chest and green arms? Like some sort of Christmas outfit I'd imagine, lol...

Had a look at my Uruk-hai set bought several months ago (mid-August or so), and Eomer's legs have the red sash on the legs and the flesh heads are solid. I would guess those older legs were misprints from the very first batches.

That, and I assume the Eomer torso looks atrocious with a red chest and green arms? Like some sort of Christmas outfit I'd imagine, lol...

Actually I used some light grey arms on Eomer, as it matches the chain-mail under his tunic. The green arms would have been a Lego minifig fashion disaster lol

my urukhai army had the red one, both my helms deep's had the brown legs.

What? Helm's Deep doesn't come with Eomer...?

Theoden and Eomer share the same legs.

Theoden and Eomer share the same legs.

Ahh, I never even noticed that. I went and checked Brickset to see and you are right. I also noticed they show the brown sash legs for both Theoden and Eomer there.

Never noticed just checked all mine and they are all the same as the orginals Im in the Uk so maybe country specific

how recently did you buy them?

New print? Both my Théoden and my Éomer fig had the redder prints on their legs when I bought the sets back in early July.

Edited by General Magma

Hmm, I bought my initial 5 sets when the line was first available for order mid-May. They all had the brown belt/sashes. I picked up several more from June-August, totaling about 6 total, all with the brown. In August I placed anorder through TRU when they had their buy two get one free sale going on and got 4 more. Every one of these had the brown sashes. It was only my last order of 6 in late October that I finally got my first red sash/belts.

Edited by Deathleech

When I got mine in June (UK) mine had the red legs but instead I wish it had the brown legs because theoden also has the red legs so now they are both the same. :(

Good observation Deathleech. I just checked my two 9471s (my first 9471 bought when they came out in late May, the 2nd one in late september) and my 2 Eomers differ just like yours. The new Eomer head's stud has holes; the rest of my flesh LOTR heads are fully studded, including the second Rohirrim archer.

Not sure whether that's good or bad though.

Edited by SheepEater