CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

I see there being several potential groups of minifigs in Orthanc. We could get Saruman, Grima, Gandalf, an eagle, and possibly an orc or two. Or we could get a one sided set with Saruman, Grima, Lurtz (in armor), some orcs and Uruk-hai, and possibly a Wild Man. While less likely, we could get Saruman, Grima, Merry, Pippin and Treebeard/ an ent.

Anyone think we might see the moth in an Orthanc set? They could probably just make the Friends or Belville butterfly in grey.

Edited by SorinO

Not sure Theoden would be in there as he's in Helms deep, I can see it being from one of the movies, not a mixture of them. That's not really Lego's style.

Would be nice to get some more info on this set... The suspense is killing me.

It may simply be a huge architectural type set for the advanced builder. Just a big highly detailed black tower. No detailed interior and no figs. Like how some of the non minifig scale and UCS items are.

It may simply be a huge architectural type set for the advanced builder. Just a big highly detailed black tower. No detailed interior and no figs. Like how some of the non minifig scale and UCS items are.

I'll be honest and say that this is exactly what I have been thinking. Even so, I do still hope that we get a couple of minifigures at least. It wouldn't bother me if we got nothing more than Saruman and Grima when it comes to minifigures.

Anyone think we might see the moth in an Orthanc set? They could probably just make the Friends or Belville butterfly in grey.

I'm surprised this wasn't brought up sooner, it's a wonderful idea. but it'd only be practical if there are actually minifigures included with the set.

I'd be happy with just Saruman and Grima. I think some of you guys might be a bit too optimistic with you suggested characters.

I totally agree. While another Pippin, Merry, Theoden, etc. would be nice, I could easily do without them. Especially if it reduces the price of the set (which is probably going to be pretty high as is). I mean I really don't need or want any more Uruk-hai or Aragorn's, we already have them in plenty of other sets. I would rather Lego just include the necessities. Saruman and Grima would be all I really want, Grima especially since he may not ever have a chance to appear in a set again...

I predict that it will come with six minifigures. Unfortunately two of them will be Gimli, another two will be Gandalf, and the last two will be Aragorn.

Seriously though, Saurman and Grima would be nice but not necessary. Looking towards the UCS Tie fighter, it comes with a tie pilot (makes sense) and some other Death Star characters. This tells me that the minifigs for such a set do not have to directly match.

For most LotR and Hobbit sets,my interest is in the minifis. However, the Orthanc is really about the tower.

These high end exclusives are the perfect opportunity for one shot figs, like Grima or Radagast or an exclusive torso print. I personally would not want repeat figures or non-uniques (as army building with them would be prohibitively expensive) in this set, other than the necessary one of Saruman.

I am a technic Fan and Lotr fan on the side, but i have to admit, that tower set is the one i am going crazy about! I am getting sick of waiting! :cry_sad:

I really hope it will hit the stores before August! Any idea where and when they might show it off? ( some sort of toy fare again? )

Would be nice to get some more info on this set... The suspense is killing me.

I totally agree, we got some initial information and everything just died. At this point, I really don't know what to expect. I hope for some combination of minifigures, if only saruman and a couple others, simply the tower would be mildy dissappointing.

I almost wish I had no clue Orthanc was coming. I'm running out of nails to bite. So to change the subject a bit, I am becoming more and more enamored with the Council of Elrond set: the arches, the leaves, the hairpieces... another Gimli. :wink: I really hope I can manage to work Elrond's circlet out of his hair.... Anyway, I'm going to need at least threeve of this set.

$ Texas

Well we've basically exhausted all convos about the June wave, Orthanc, etc. so I'm not too surprised.

Still anxiously awaiting news about the Orthanc. But I'm afraid we'll have to wait some more...

Still anxiously awaiting news about the Orthanc. But I'm afraid we'll have to wait some more...

Because it is an exclusive, we will probably still be waiting several months before we see or hear anything more about Orthanc. The earliest we could expect a picture of Orthanc is in May, though it is equally possible that we will have to wait even longer than that.

Because it is an exclusive, we will probably still be waiting several months before we see or hear anything more about Orthanc. The earliest we could expect a picture of Orthanc is in May, though it is equally possible that we will have to wait even longer than that.

Why do we have to wait until May? Thing is, as far as I know there isn't any indication at all on when it will be released. It doesn't have to turn up when the other LOTR sets do. TLG is getting better at keeping things secret for longer, so there is a possibility that we will get details just before it appears, and that could be at any time. That often happens with exclusive sets.

One thing we have that suggests it won't be long is that we were given an image a while ago showing the dimensions. They would hardly wait months & months after revealing something for a set like this. An entire line of standard sets, yes, but not this sort of thing. That's what I reckon anyway.

Was that release official? I thought that we still had no official word on it. If it was though, I would tend to agree with you.

Was that release official?

I'm getting old or something, I don't remember where the pic came from.

Something LOTR was on their facebook page, was it this?

Why do we have to wait until May? Thing is, as far as I know there isn't any indication at all on when it will be released. It doesn't have to turn up when the other LOTR sets do.

I said May because, until we get more information about this, I am going to presume that it will be released with the rest of the LOTR wave or shortly afterwards. Hopefully we will get more solid information (a release date would help) soon.

I'm getting old or something, I don't remember where the pic came from.

Something LOTR was on their facebook page, was it this?

If I remember rightly the Orthanc picture was shown by motayan on Flickr who is known to release some set pictures early. :classic:

Hi I have been reading the forum for a few weeks and thought it was time to join in, I have just seen the back of the black gate on youtube hope its ok to post, not seen it mentioned on here.

I have my own rule not to buy more than one of a set as otherwise I could get carried away but I think I will have to brake it with this set as you only get one tower and it looks like it will be easy to combine two sets for the other tower and use the extra gates to make walls each side. Would have loved an extra set to add on like we got with helm's deep.

Not sure Theoden would be in there as he's in Helms deep, I can see it being from one of the movies, not a mixture of them. That's not really Lego's style.

That's not true- the Death Star featured areas from both Episode IV and Episode VI, and I'm pretty sure there was another major liscensed set (Hogwarts, maybe?) that featured items/features/characters from a variety of movies that couldn't have canonically existed together. Heck, there's even a precedent for it in the Tolkien sets themselves- Bag End had the Dwarves and maps that were clearly from the beginning of the Hobbit, but also included Sting and Bilbo's book that wouldn't have been there until after the movies completion.