CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

Grima SHOULD be in the Orthanc set and Denethor in my opinion isn't important. Galadriel could be in a hobbit set.

What we heard was that it wasnt doing great in germany. If it's doing good elsewhere I think the theme could keep going.

Anyways we obviosuly don't have numbers for how the lego sets are selling but we do have for the movies for what that is or isn't worth.

True enough, although I'd like to see a Denethor figure as well. Not that a custom version couldn't work,

but it would at least require Thorin's hair (or maybe Elizabeth Swann's) in grey.

We still need Faramir, Éowyn, Gondorian soldiers and the Witch-king as figures in LOTR sets for sure, though.

If they ever decide to do another exclusive minifigure (...not SDCC please...), King Aragorn or a Gondor Citadel Guard could work. Or perhaps Sauron or Isildur, to continue the 2nd age figures.

So the ship comes with legolas, aragorn and gimli all having the same torsos from previous sets, thats just unfortunate. I dont mind having tons of orc or goblins but the same main characters, blaaah. Kinda ruins it for me, already have an army of Gandalfs. :(

Legolas, Aragorn and Gimli should all three have capes, but TLG keeps leaving them out...

Not that that would add anything to the list of new figures... a new Anduril/Narsil mold might make up for that a bit.

Edited by General Magma

I was hope that Dead King and Dead soldiers will light in the dark,but more than that Clear colour.

We know they won't be clear. The only minifig part that Lego is able or willing to do in clear or transparent is the head. Clear plastics have very different properties from ABS and what they normally use for Minifigs. They are very brittle. They crack and fog, and joints made of them bind up. Lego has stated that attempts to engineer trans clear Minifigs have not produced acceptable quality figures. I would be hoping more for a good use of the new gitd plastic.

We know they won't be clear. The only minifig part that Lego is able or willing to do in clear or transparent is the head. Clear plastics have very different properties from ABS and what they normally use for Minifigs. They are very brittle. They crack and fog, and joints made of them bind up. Lego has stated that attempts to engineer trans clear Minifigs have not produced acceptable quality figures. I would be hoping more for a good use of the new gitd plastic.

Since not everything (or most of it) can be GITD on those figures, I'd prefer for them not to be GITD at all.

The mixes of olive green and sand green seem good enough to me to represent the ghostly figures, though I do wonder

if their heads are sand green or light grey/white...

Since not everything (or most of it) can be GITD on those figures, I'd prefer for them not to be GITD at all.

The mixes of olive green and sand green seem good enough to me to represent the ghostly figures, though I do wonder

if their heads are sand green or light grey/white...

Heads looks the same color as the arms to me. I wouldnt be suprised if the white-ish print on their torso is glow in the dark.

I could be wrong, but do the orcs have new head printing?

You are wrong. :wink:

Edited by deskp

I like seeing those figures, but am also disappointed about the Orcs. I like having multiple orcs and normally it wouldn't matter if they are the same, but at least ONE new print would make sense. And I agree about the armor being all wrong. It'd be nice for some new armor because then it wouldn't matter about the print as much, but with this big bulky armor, it isn't very accurate.

The corsair is really neat. I think they did a great job with the soldiers/king of the dead. I don't mind if it isn't GITD at all, although that would be a neat feature. And like the zombies in MF they may include some GITD printing on the figure for "play value."

As important as the figures are, it is too bad we get yet another Gimli, Aragorn, and Legolas. So that makes number 4 Gimli and 3 Aragorn? Gimli's torso works okay for a different army if you're into that, but not much else to do with Aragorn.

So the ship comes with legolas, aragorn and gimli all having the same torsos from previous sets, thats just unfortunate. I dont mind having tons of orc or goblins but the same main characters, blaaah. Kinda ruins it for me, already have an army of Gandalfs. :(

Agree,I wish to see just a half Gondorian soldiers as we saw Gandalf

And yea,we need to see soooo many minifigures more:Eowyn,Witch King,Fell Beast,Faramir,Merry Rohirrim armor,Pippin Gondorian armor,Theoden without armor with hair piece,Denethor,Gothmog,Isildur,Elendil,Gondorian soldiers,Citadel Gondor guards,some Rohirrim soldiers with different printings,Rohan guard,Gamling,Hama,Sharku,

and around week ago I made my set list we need to see,so I dimention everything there,that is the reason why LEGO Lotr shuld be continue throught soo many years,of course and The Hobbit

Am I the only one who actually prefer the Orcs without the Hairpiece? I am quite happy we don't get hairpieces. It means I can't lose them!

If you're afraid of loosing them I suggest you put them all into a bubbled envelope and carry them to the post. PM me for my address ;)

Seriously, people who don't want them have an option not to use them, but we who do like them can't just mold them. Yeah of course we can spent another X bucks on BL ...

Woah, wait, what? It's not doing good? Who said this? I mean, by the looks of it, it's doing okay.

The German market is where themes are researched, tested... and the Germans buy more lego than all of north america. It is what I was told... buy a Corporate Lego Guy. Im not sure if im allowed to tell this? But I thot you guys should know...

I hate to say this but I was told this weekend at a Lego fan festival, just how bad LOTR is doing. It is not good. So we need some of you germans to go buy some lotr, because apparently, you guys are the only ones that ever matter...lolol

LOTR is doing bad in Germany? Don't think so (but that's only my impression). The Hobbit too?

I bought all the sets last year. Will buy the new sets too. So it's not my fault if LOTR is doing bad ;-)

The Pirate Ship is nearly 60cm? Sounds very good. I will put it on my aquarium (2 meters long, 50 cm deep). On top the ship and under it the "monsters" of the sea (my 8 discus). And every night with the moonlight led the (hopefully glowing) undead will be perfectly presented.

Mhhh, monster ... maybe TLG can design a set with the guard of the lake. Together with a set "The Bridge of Khazad Dum" Moria would be nearly complete.

I would buy the ship 3x times when it doesn't include main characters. -Sorry LEGO! Therefore I will buy that ship only 1x time. I don't need so many Aragorns...

(LOL, that is crazy! I would really buy that ship 3x times. But the main characters stops me. :laugh: )

LotR is an army building theme! How can LEGO assumes that LotR will become successful when they doesn't provide any army building sets??

Customers, which are willing to buy LEGO LotR sets are be compelled to buy those sets for only one time. Because in each set is at least one main character included. :laugh:

LEGO offers no opportunities for army building.

That isn't profitable. If LEGO is willing to survive then they have to become innovative! They must create real (3 in 1) creator sets. LEGO must give us a reason to buy those sets several times!

LotR is really an amazing theme. IF that theme don't become profitable then only because of LEGO self. Because LEGO isn't able to become innovative!

Just imagination: LEGO provides with the bricks an innovative toy with endless possibilities for several combinations of structures and buildings. AND LEGO's managers aren't clever enough to receive clever license contracts for clever innovative creator sets and army building sets... :laugh:

Edited by Elander

The German market is where themes are researched, tested... and the Germans buy more lego than all of north america. It is what I was told... buy a Corporate Lego Guy. Im not sure if im allowed to tell this? But I thot you guys should know...

Tested? Germany, a big laboratory for consumption tests :laugh: More than all of north america? Okaaaay, that sound a little bit strange. But realistic. Lego is really popular here.

Maybe I can ask someone in the shop in Cologne next month about this topic.

Edited by diskus

I really hope those arent the final versions of the orcs, and no capes? But the other new figs look great!

Thats what I was told.. And that they test new themes with kids in germany. And your country outbuys all of n. america some how. he has told me this 2 years in a row....

I believe that LEGO Lotr team will have really big access if they make battle-packs,let's say Battle at the Black Gate battle pack,only minifigures:

2x Gondorian soldiers

1x Rohan soldier

2x Mordor orcs

For maybe 20$

Or maybe:

2x Lothlorien armored elves

2x Uruk-hais

Only chance to see armored Lothlorien elves was Helm's deep,so why they don't fixed that and include that battle-pack for around 18$?

It will be very high profit for them,and great opportunity for us to building armies.Every LEGO Lotr fan will buy at least 3 these battle packs,even kids who don't collect LEGO LOTR.

It will be great opportunity,why not? Pirates of the Caribbean has battle-packs ony with minifigs :)

My dream is to work for LEGO Lotr company,for one year when I will be 18 years old,I will try to get job there

Edited by Lordof theBricks

Ladies and gentelmen I present you:

Pirate Ship Ambush Figs:

{pic}

So the corsair is PJ :laugh: , and orcs are the old ones.

Loving the figures in this one! Especiall the Peter Jackson one! :grin:

I too wish for more accessible army building sets. Uruk Hai Army is too much for such a set though I did buy three. It seems inappropriate to insult the LEGO managers because you don't like all that they do.

I am sure that Warner Brothers would not mind if LEGO released sets consisting of only minifigures EXCEPT they sold the Lord of the Rings / Hobbit action figure license to another toy company and the figurine license to a second toy company.

Personally if I bought the action figure license and LEGO released a set of only minifigures I would sue Warner Brothers for breech of contract. Somehow the promotional Elrond figure with the LEGO video game does not count.

Does anyone think we will get any pirate polybags with the June release?

The German market is traditionally very important but its always been known that the typical German child does not buy fantasy toys in general. This is not new and TLG like all toy manufacturers are well aware of this.

I think you will find that TLG's licensed themes do better in North America and they would've planned for this.

That isn't profitable. If LEGO is willing to survive then they have to become innovative! They must create real (3 in 1) creator sets. LEGO must give us a reason to buy those sets several times!

You're really not going to ever let this creator idea go are you?

LEGO will never provide battle packs which would include only minifigures...

I talk about complete LEGO sets without those main characters like Bilbo and Gandalf.

I talk about complete LEGO sets which we could buy several times.

@ Vindice: Right :grin:

LEGO will never provide battle packs which would include only minifigures...

I talk about complete LEGO sets without those main characters like Bilbo and Gandalf.

I talk about complete LEGO sets which we could buy several times.

@ Vindice: Right :grin:

I know,but they did it with Pirates of the Caribbean,but ok,I also agree they probably not do it in Lotr sets,but here is other good way,if we buy some day Osgiliath,here is set for buy several times,and also collect great army of Rangers,Gondorians or Mordor orcs,and we can also continue that on Osgiliath set for a couple of times,that is also great opportunity for us to buy it,collect army,and to Lego for great profit

osgiliath

Now we know why Yazneg was in the Warg Attack set...

I wonder if Azog will still have a place in 2013 sets.

What are the possibilities... he might run into some trouble with Beorn in DoS, but other than that...?

Edited by General Magma

Now we know why Yazneg was in the Warg Attack set...

I wonder if Azog will still have a place in 2013 sets.

What are the possibilities... he might run into some trouble with Beorn in DoS, but other than that...?

LEGO didn't know about Azog that he will be in the movie,and now they made big mistake,Yaznek replace Azog on the white warg.That's why LEGO shuld not make other 2 Hobbit wawes befor moview,because it can be a lot of mistakes like this one.I wish to this winter 2013/2014 also see Lotr sets,and every year at the summer time the hobbit sets,so mistakes like this one can't happen anymore,they shuld not make LEGO before movies,just because that mistakes

LEGO didn't know about Azog that he will be in the movie,and now they made big mistake,Yaznek replace Azog on the white warg.That's why LEGO shuld not make other 2 Hobbit wawes befor moview,because it can be a lot of mistakes like this one.I wish to this winter 2013/2014 also see Lotr sets,and every year at the summer time the hobbit sets,so mistakes like this one can't happen anymore,they shuld not make LEGO before movies,just because that mistakes

Not to mention 3 sets designs appeared to be cut out from the first movie ;)