CM4Sci

LOTR & The Hobbit 2013 Set Discussion

There is definitely some mistake in the minifig count from balrog set. I think it would make sense to include Gandalf, 2 Moria Orcs, Frodo, and another member of the fellowship, like Boromir.

Treebeard, at $60 it's too much for what we can imagine will be presented in the set, although i'll wait for pics to surface before i judge anything. The main reason i would get the set would be for Merry and Pippin, since i have the other two hobbits.

I'm excited to see the remaining sets appear(crossed fingers for Crack of Doom set) although my money may be exhausted by the time the Hobbit wave has passed through, haha.

I know it's WAAAAY down the line, but I am also left wondering what sets we will get in the 2013 winter Hobbit wave. I would guess a Smaug and Beorn's lodgings sets are both givens, with the Smaug set being the big flagship set of the wave. I would assume it will be an attack on Lake Town set, but could also see it being in Erebor with Smaug on his piles of gold.

We already got the Barrel Escape and Mirkwood spider sets which were both chapters that are appearing in the second film so that's two less book chapters to pull sets froms in the next wave. That means we "technically" only have 5 chapters to draw sets from (as opposed to the 9 the first wave took sets from). Not only that, a few of these chapters are just the dwarves sitting around plotting and planning (their stay in Lake Town and their trek to the Loney Mountains), which I don't think would make very good play sets. I assume Lego might go back and do a set or two based on the first film that they missed, such as Rivendell or the troll scene, but who knows. They also will have all the extra PJ added scenes from the appendices to draw material from.

As for the summer LotR wave, this seems much easier to make predictions based on since we have seen all the films and know exactly what they can draw material and inspiration from. I assume the big flagship set will be a Minas Tirith inspired one in the 130-200 dollar price range. They might try to make a wall add-on/battle pack like with Helm's Deep again, but that doesn't seem like a for sure thing yet as we have only seen it done in the one and only wave. That puts us at 2 potential sets. Personally I think the last 4-6 sets would be a $20-30 Ent set with Merry and Pippin and a brick built Treebeard, a $40 Balrog set with way more minifigs than the guy supposedly leaked, and $80 Orthanc with Saruman. To me these just make the most sense and seem like givens.. we get super iconic characters and scenes while still giving us new material not really touched on at all in the first wave.

I know it's WAAAAY down the line, but I am also left wondering what sets we will get in the 2013 winter Hobbit wave. I would guess a Smaug and Beorn's lodgings sets are both givens, with the Smaug set being the big flagship set of the wave. I would assume it will be an attack on Lake Town set, but could also see it being in Erebor with Smaug on his piles of gold.

We already got the Barrel Escape and Mirkwood spider sets which were both chapters that are appearing in the second film so that's two less book chapters to pull sets froms in the next wave. That means we "technically" only have 5 chapters to draw sets from (as opposed to the 9 the first wave took sets from). Not only that, a few of these chapters are just the dwarves sitting around plotting and planning (their stay in Lake Town and their trek to the Loney Mountains), which I don't think would make very good play sets. I assume Lego might go back and do a set or two based on the first film that they missed, such as Rivendell or the troll scene, but who knows. They also will have all the extra PJ added scenes from the appendices to draw material from.

I have also been wondering about what we will be seeing. It would make most sense for the flagship set to be Smaug attacking Laketown, with minifigs like Bard, the Master of Laketown, and some villagers or soldiers with bows. I don't expect we'll see an Erebor set until they make the Battle of Five Armies set. They could make a small set like Gollum's Cave but have the doorstep of Erebor, when Bilbo talks to the thrush about the secret door. Maybe there could be Bilbo and a dwarf in that set (I'd say Balin, since Balin was the first dwarf to enter the mountain after it was opened).

You make a good point about there being two sets this wave that are from the second film, which obviously means LEGO doesn't need to cover these scenes again. But, they can't just leave Mirkwood alone. They need to do a Thranduil's Halls set, with Thranduil and lots of elves (with different hair colours). Of course, LEGO could chose to hold back Thranduil until the third movie sets, but he is important enough to warrant his own decent sized set.

Without question, Beorn's house will be a set, most likely priced similarly to Bag End of the Warg set.

This I feel covers the major book-only events we are likely to see and get new sets for from the second film, leaving possible space for a couple film one sets (I want the Trolls and Rhosgobel), but there is also stuff taking place in Dol Guldur that needs sets.

Honestly, there is so much material and so many locations within these three new films, I don't know how LEGO is gonna make sets based on all the crucial scenes and meet the wants of fans.

I have also been wondering about what we will be seeing. It would make most sense for the flagship set to be Smaug attacking Laketown, with minifigs like Bard, the Master of Laketown, and some villagers or soldiers with bows.

Well, they kind of have to make the Master of Laketown, no discussion. It's Stephen Fry. :wink:

But, they can't just leave Mirkwood alone. They need to do a Thranduil's Halls set, with Thranduil and lots of elves (with different hair colours). Of course, LEGO could chose to hold back Thranduil until the third movie sets, but he is important enough to warrant his own decent sized set.

I dunno, I don't feel like they will do another keep Thranduil set for a couple reasons. First off we already are getting the Barrel Escape set which takes place in the cellar of his keep. Secondly we don't really see a lot going on with Thranduil at this point in the book. He questions Thorin but other than that we don't get any specifics about his home, we just hear of Bilbo sneaking around the palace looking for food and exploring but nothing more than that really. We hear of a celebration/feast going on the night they escape but that's about it. I would of thought a Rivendell set much more likely than Thranduil's palace, but we didn't get that :sad:

Who knows though, if PJ put more emphasis on the rest of the palace a set could definitely be more likely.

Regarding the Hobbit sets, one of the reasons PJ justified splitting it into three movies was "to do justice to the assault on Sauron", so I would put money on there being a LOT of battle scenes involving White Council vs. Sauron's forces during the dwarves' down time.

I keep in my mind. :wink: I would like to see regarding to the Lord of the Rings follow warriors:

Rohan

1. Guard battalion

2. Rohan rider

Gondor

3. 2.Age; Last Alliance

4. 3.Age; War of the Ring

5. 3.Age; Guard of the Fountain Court

6. 3.Age; Ranger of Ithilien

Elves

7. Noldor-elf soldier (2.Age; Last Alliance)

8. Lothlorien-elf soldier (3.Age; Battle of Helm's Deep)

9. Lothlorien-elf (3.Age; Lothlorien guard)

Orcs

10. Isengard wargrider, characteristics: dark brown leather suit, hauberk

11. Morgul orc, characteristics: dark blue skin, muscular

12. Morannon orc, characteristics: complete suit of armour, dark grey skin

Another bad guys

13. Corsair of Umbar, characteristics: dirty seamen

14. Easterling

15. Haradrim

16. Oathbreaker (soldier from the Army of the dead)

And when I think about the Hobbit line... yes, there are min. also many soldiers possible.

For example I am excited about one of the flashbacks when the elder Orc King Azog (actor is Manu Bennett) meets Thorin's grandfather Thror (actor is Jeffrey Thomas) at Khazad-dum. After Thror's death Thrain (Thorin's father, actor is Mike Mizrahi) swore dire revenge and it began the war between the dwarves and the orcs. ....damn, one battle pack about the dwarves would be more than all too "must have"...

But unfortunately he was captured by Fimbul (actor is Stephen Ure) and imprisoned in Dol Guldur. Gandalf found him while on a mission to Dol Guldur to discover the identity of "The Necromancer" (actor is Benedict Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch), a mysterious Dark Lord who was later revealed to be Sauron. Moments away from death, Thrain gave him the old map and the key to the Erebor. Gandalf promised to deliver it to Thrain's son, but Thrain, who was delirious with pain, had forgotten his name, so Gandalf did not expect to be able to fulfil this promise. Thrain died soon afterwards....

I'm hoping for a Rivendel "Hard to Find" set, like Diagon Ally was for HP.

Lotta buildings and figs

I really hope we get more Rohan sets. Maybe even another helmet mold to add variety. It would be a shame if Lego just used the current Rohan soldier design for every single Rohan set.

I think we will defintley get more rohan sets the first film isnt even out and weve had two waves so plenty more waves to come hopefully

I am sure we will get more Rohan soldiers and more variations. I just don't think they will be in the next LotR wave. Not when we already had two sets dedicated to Rohan in the first wave and zero to Gondor. I am sure in the third and fourth LotR waves they will come back and start doing more similar sets to ones already done, but for right now it seems they want to get all the big, iconic stand alone scenes done first with only a tie in or two with a smaller set per wave.

LEGO Lord of the Rings Balrog Wallpaper

I hadn't seen this image of the Balrog yet, the wings are normal dragon wings in the back

http://www.flickr.co...in/photostream/

I hadn't seen this image of the Balrog yet, the wings are normal dragon wings in the back

Wow! That's a cool creature! Now I'm certainly looking forward to seeing it in a set (I have seen the movies, but I hadn't really considered how the Balrog would look as Lego). =)

While that design does look awesome, I doubt that's what we'll be getting in the set, though. For one thing, it seems unlikely that they'd reveal a set design so far ahead through a video game. For another, it appears to violate several of the official guidelines - the burning whip is made entirely out of an illegal and allegedly unintentional connection, and the wings are connected by only one stud, which isn't anywhere near enough to lift those wings. =(

So it's going to be mixed with LOTR and The Hobbit next summer? Sounds good to me. :classic: And an eagles nest! Everyone wanted eagles in the warg set and now we'll be getting them (hopefully multiples in the set).

Hmm, that's not very much info to go on, but at least it's something! So it looks like we will be getting a cheap Ringwraith and Frodo set around the $9.99-12.99 price point? And the pirate ship has to be the corsairs considering there are no pirate ships whatsoever mentioned in The Hobbit, and the ship the elves take in LotR aren't pirate ships at all. I am guessing the Eagle Nest set is based on the Hobbit and depicts the scene after the eagles rescue the dwarves, Gandalf, and Bilbo from the Wargs and goblins.

Honestly these sets seem a bit surprising, and a little disappointing based on their names/description. The corsairs are seen a total of 5-10 minutes throughout the entire LotR film trilogy which the sets are based on. I wonder what the rest of the sets will be.. hopefully there is still a Minas Tirith, Balrog, and Ent set to be had as those would be my top three most wanted right now.

I like the sound of a cheap Nazgul set. Hopefully it will have a horse so I can get six and then wait for an armoured Witch-King set.

Also, does anyone else think that the Corsair Ship set will have Soldiers of the Dead? And Anduril? I'm pretty excited for that set just because those two things are likely!

And Eagles will be fantastic, but lets hope for no more Gandalf the Grey figs.

I also wonder what the set is with just question marks. It could be either LOTR or Hobbit based. Trollshaws maybe? :wub:

The Ringwraith does sound like a cheap set. My guess is a black horse, a Nazgul, a minitree + hiding place with Frodo and the ring.

I have mixed feelings on the Frodo and Ringwraith set. On one hand we already had this scene depicted in the Weathertop set so it does feel a bit redundant. At the same time it does offer a cheap way to get the rest of the Ringwraiths and there's always the possibility of Arwen being included.

I really love the sound of the Pirate Ship though. The design is awesome and who doesn't want minifigures of the Army of the Dead, the Corsairs and with any luck the King of the Dead?

I have mixed feelings on the Frodo and Ringwraith set. On one hand we already had this scene depicted in the Weathertop set so it does feel a bit redundant. At the same time it does offer a cheap way to get the rest of the Ringwraiths and there's always the possibility of Arwen being included.

I think the set would be based on the earlier encounter still in The Shire when the hobbits hid away under the tree roots. So no Arwen unless they mash up the scenes a little. But two characters and a horse sound more probable, compared to the smallest sets of earlier waves.